PDA

View Full Version : Terrible wrestling predictions

Joesgonnakillyou
01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Hello All, I thought I'd post a thread to mark my 1000th post. After much careful deliberation and a focus group, I've settled on this topic:

What has been your worst wrestling prediction since you started watching? Everyone makes them, because everyone is certain they know the product so well, after all you've been watching for years! Who could know better than you?

Except sometimes you make a prediction and it's so spectacularly wrong it's absurd and of course I have a couple of examples.

The Prediction
In 1999 I confidently announce to my wrestling buddy that Test will be a world champion by 2005 (the distant future at the time) because he looked a bit like Nash

The Reality
After a fairly successful 2001 (decent mid card year) Test slowly becomes irrelevent and is released in 2004. He is eventually rehired in....

and still never became a World Champ.

The Prediction
Sheamus has just earnt his first WWE title shot against John Cena, I have such a hatred for the guy I say to my friend that he will end up as the comic relief in a stereotypical irish tag team with Finlay

The Reality
He's one of the top babyfaces of the company and shows no signs of slowing down...

Can anyone top my ineptitude?

Bad News Gertner
01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
The Prediction and boy was I. Ever wrong on this one: Percy Watson will be the number 2 babyfacce in the company by 2012

Reality: he's teaming with Yoshi Tatsu on NXT lol

whiteyford
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
When the Rock debuted I said he wouldn't amount to anything, I was slightly wrong.

Arrogance
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
CM Punk wouldn't get over in the WWE. Bryan Danielson wouldn't get over in the WWE.

The Reality - Millions of whining CM Punk fans who are nearly as bad as Cena fans and YES! YES! YES!

MoFo
01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
I was one of them who thought those hype videos were for Sting a coupla years ago :nono:

Xero
01-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Pretty much every other year: Cena's gonna turn heel.

Cool King
01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
I can't remember 100% but I'm sure I predicted a few years ago, probably around 2003, that Steven Richards would become Intercontinental Champion.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Ken Kennedy would be worth a shit in this business.

Reality: He is shit.

XCaliber
01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
The result of the main event of Wrestlemania 2000 even my 2nd scenario failed to pan out.

NormanSmiley
01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
not sure if this counts as a prediction but... i thought when russo went off on hogan at the ppv i said to myself there is no way this is real or will finally get rid of hogan..

reality: it was real-ish i guess depending who answers the question and...hogan is still around posting pics of his daughters legs...

Theo Dious
01-30-2013, 08:42 PM
The Prediction: Not long after Hogan's heel turn at Bash at the Beach, I predicted that after about a year of the angle going strong, the others would turn on Hogan and throw him out of the group, and that after an absence of about 3 months or so, he would resurface in vignettes talking about how he had lost his way and made the wrong choices, and that he would then return to lead WCW to eradicate the invaders.

Yeah we all know what happened for reals.

BollywoodSingh
01-30-2013, 09:36 PM
In 2000/2001, I thought Chris Jericho would be the next big star in wrestling on the level of Austin and The Rock. Jericho did end up being a big name, but nowhere near being that big of a draw and the face of the company.

I thought Kidman would get a huge push in late 2004 when he turned heel. I was always a big Kidman fan.

I think I thought Orton would break Undertaker's streak at Wrestlemania 21. I thought the same about HHH at Wrestlemania 17, but the streak wasn't a big deal back then. In fact, I think Wrestlemania 21 was the first time they used the streak to build Undertaker's match?

PullMyFinger
01-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Every John Cena match, I hope and predict the opponent(s) win.

Fox
01-30-2013, 11:21 PM
In 2010, around the time that TNA started bringing in guys like RVD, Hogan, Kennedy and made the move to Monday nights, I thought that by 2013 they would be closer to being on even ground with the WWE and that the head-to-head Impact vs RAW might actually boost the ratings and the quality of the shows overall.
The reality is that TNA is still in about the same position they were in 2010 (maybe worse, product-wise) due to terrible booking decisions, focusing attention on over-the-hill guys like Hogan, Bischoff and Foley, a series of badly executed pushes that then end abruptly and never truly put a guy over, and an inability to build one major superstar who can carry the company.

In 2009, I thought that Christian would return to the WWE as a house of fire, would quickly rise back to his position of upper mid-card prominence that he had when he left, and that as a heel, he would soon become one of the best and most reliable main event talents in the WWE.
The reality is that the currently benched Christian has had a few really great feuds and matches since his return and he did manage to claim the World Heavyweight Championship shortly after Edge left, but he hasn't managed to regain that level of overness that he had when he left in 2005.

Bad News Gertner
01-30-2013, 11:37 PM
It's because Christian is. Money as a heel but atrocious as a face.

Fox
01-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Agreed. But even his heel run as World Champion was underwhelming. "Captain Charisma" just seems to have lost that fire that he had in 2005. Maybe he should have cut a "pipebomb" promo instead of going to TNA.

Bad News Gertner
01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
I just think his time came and went

Razzamajazz
01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
i thought wcw would last 100 years

The Condor
01-31-2013, 01:10 AM
I thought Mae Young would have passed by now.

Also, in 1999 I could have sworn Ken Shamrock would rise to a prominent Main Event level and be a good WWF champion.

Razzamajazz
01-31-2013, 01:12 AM
i thought he'd come back after angle's first push to determine the true master of the ankle lock

Curd
01-31-2013, 03:34 AM
When Bret Hart returned to WWE in 2010, I thought he would feud with Shawn Michaels in a "best of" series of matches.

Instead, he and Shawn reconciled, then Bret proceeded to make up-and-coming wrestlers tap to the Sharpshooter, without taking any bumps himself, before squashing Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania, again taking absolutely no bumps due to his restrictive health insurance policy.

Road Warrior
01-31-2013, 03:36 AM
i thought he'd come back after angle's first push to determine the true master of the ankle lock

He should of, instead he settled for gettin the shit kicked out of him about twice a year in mma.

voncouch
01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
I remember watching Razor Ramon wrestle "The Kid" on Raw in the early 90's. I remember giving a dismissive chuckle at The Kid's stupid name and half-watched during an obvious squash match. Then he upset Razor, got into an entertaining feud and actually had a decent career in the business. Totally didn't see that one coming

DAMN iNATOR
01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
CM Punk wouldn't get over in the WWE. Bryan Danielson wouldn't get over in the WWE.

The Reality - Millions of whining CM Punk fans who are nearly as bad as Cena fans and YES! YES! YES!

Punk fans are salt of the earth, good people! YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

Bad News Gertner
01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Naw they are fat lazy jobless fucks.

DAMN iNATOR
01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Ken Kennedy would be worth a shit in this business.

Reality: He is shit.

Yep, he’s so “shit” (as you’ve so eloquently put it) that he beat numerous former world champions in WWE, won MitB and became United States champion, all while drawing tremendous amounts of heel heat for not just his promos, but also his self-promoting ways of introducing himself in the ring.

Or is he just shit to you because he works in TNA now? (:roll:)

XL
01-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Nah, he's shit because he's become lazy and hasn't really evolved his shtick since his debut. Mind you, the way he's booked to flip-flop from heel to face and been put in meaningless story lines that never go anywhere, you can hardly blame him for not giving a shit.

Theo Dious
01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Naw they are fat lazy jobless fucks.

And their mothers are whores.

KaosDarksol
01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
I predicted Chris Benoit was going to win the Ecw title... Yeah I guess we all know how that turned out

Tom Guycott
01-31-2013, 11:49 PM

Oddly enough, so did I. Feud seemed almost as logical and "obvious" as having a match with Dan Severn. Or his mustache.

I remember watching Razor Ramon wrestle "The Kid" on Raw in the early 90's. I remember giving a dismissive chuckle at The Kid's stupid name and half-watched during an obvious squash match. Then he upset Razor, got into an entertaining feud and actually had a decent career in the business. Totally didn't see that one coming

I did this too, only it was with a WCW match featuring Hugh Morrus vs. some bald jobber in black trunks; "Just some more Power Plant cannon fodder", I thought. Prob'ly wouldn't have even watched the match, but I remember there being "nothing else on". One "no-sell backflip" and a kick out of DeMott's finisher later, I found myself saying "What the fuck...?!" in genuine astonishment, then hoping my mom didn't just hear me say "What the fuck...?!"

Nah, he's shit because he's become lazy and hasn't really evolved his shtick since his debut. Mind you, the way he's booked to flip-flop from heel to face and been put in meaningless story lines that never go anywhere, you can hardly blame him for not giving a shit.

I thought Elijah Burke was destined for greatness in TNA. Same with Kennedy. I mean, as much as we piss on them for hotshotting ex-WWE castaways, they did do right by guys like Christian, Angle, and the constant "personal demon" pain-in-the-ass meal ticket Jeff Hardy. Both these guys are over as fuck, there's no way they can mess this up.

Should have known better; that TNA is going to do what TNA does.

Evil Vito
02-01-2013, 12:04 AM
I predicted Chris Benoit was going to win the Ecw title... Yeah I guess we all know how that turned out

<font color=goldenrod>To be fair, I think that was pretty much a lock to happen. I believe the plan was for Benoit to win the vacated belt at Night of Champions and hold onto it for a few months before Punk got his first run.</font>

KaosDarksol
02-01-2013, 02:14 AM
When Bret Hart returned to WWE in 2010, I thought he would feud with Shawn Michaels in a "best of" series of matches.

Instead, he and Shawn reconciled, then Bret proceeded to make up-and-coming wrestlers tap to the Sharpshooter, without taking any bumps himself, before squashing Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania, again taking absolutely no bumps due to his restrictive health insurance policy.

I thought they would over hype Bret and make it seem like he could still put on matches. I didn't however think they would give him the u.s. title

RiX1024
02-02-2013, 04:39 AM
When Legacy broke up i thought DiBiase will go further than Rhodes.

Reality: Boy, was I wrong.

Cool King
02-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I think that vast majority of us thought that.

I know I did.

James Steele
02-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I thought Dolph and Cody would be established World Champions/main eventers by now.

Heisenberg
02-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Back in the day, I thought Tatanka would join the nWo.

Reality: YEE YEE YEE YEE YEE YEE YEEYEEYEE. No IndianWorldOrder.