PDA

View Full Version : Why does EA still exist?

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 01:57 AM
Seriously, how do you fuck up SimCity?

Fignuts
03-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Because sports

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Consumers. For-profit interests. Creed. Gamer stupidity. Short-sighted gains. All of that amounts to the SimCity situation.

But that wouldn't kill EA outright.

Fignuts
03-12-2013, 02:23 AM
They do have some pretty rad games under their label, admittedly.

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 02:36 AM
Need For Speed and Battlefield are alright from what I see and play. Don't care for many of their other IPs but they're mostly legit. EA is just retarded when it comes to PR and they should probably ban representatives from speaking publicly. It would also help to assign community managers across each major franchise so they could have an ear 'on the street' as it were, because they do have little idea of 'gamer pulse'.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-12-2013, 02:42 AM
They make money in spite of their stupidity.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 08:21 AM
They do have some pretty rad games under their label, admittedly.

It's almost impossible for them not to, by virtue of how they operate. They just buy out good developers then force them to run their IP to the ground so long as its profitable. I "get" that it's smart business, but it still fucking sucks.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Also, any time a game is released with day-1 DLC a baby kitten masturbates on an angel, or whatever that saying is

Savio
03-12-2013, 09:33 AM
They could probably survive off madden alone.

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Day-1 DLC sales very successfully. Your issue is not with EA, there.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
My issue is entirely with EA there, what the fuck are you talking about? Just because Bioware is retarded doesn't mean EA isn't.

Vietnamese Crippler
03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
EA exists because people still buy its games. People are too stupid to stand up and say no to all the bullshit.

Emperor Smeat
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
One reason EA managed to mess up SimCity is because of them being cheapskates when it comes to servers. Either they own just the bare minimum available which is why they have to cancel online for games after 2 years or don't want to spend money on new servers unless a big screw up occurs.

EA's massive size means they can survive a lot of screw ups and problems before seeing any real negative effects.

Corporate CockSnogger
03-12-2013, 02:52 PM
FIFA is the only game I tend to buy.

Kane Knight
03-12-2013, 03:14 PM
They make money in spite of their stupidity.
It's rather foolish to peg them as stupid. Gamers have demonstrated they will buy day one despite the shit EA pulls. It'd almost be stupid not to do what they do.

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
My issue is entirely with EA there, what the fuck are you talking about? Just because Bioware is retarded doesn't mean EA isn't.

As VC said it is in fact a case to take up with consumers. Day-1 DLC sales like hotcakes, better than hotcakes even. So now everybody wants to do it (in some cases need to). So yeah, hollar at your peoples.

And I'm not sure where the fuck Bioware came from, I didn't mention them at all.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
One reason EA managed to mess up SimCity is because of them being cheapskates when it comes to servers. Either they own just the bare minimum available which is why they have to cancel online for games after 2 years or don't want to spend money on new servers unless a big screw up occurs.

EA's massive size means they can survive a lot of screw ups and problems before seeing any real negative effects.

I'm largely opposed to the online-only requirement they've imposed on SimCity because they have a history of simply shutting down game servers after the game is no longer profitable. For a game like SimCity where a large portion of the 'hardcore' base spends months on cities, this is a huge detriment to the experience.

Plus the instability issues. In their defense, launches for games are always horrible (D3 anyone?), but it's still a pain in the ass to have to deal with server maintenance bullshit for a game that is largely single-player. I understand their desire to make it a sociable thing, sharing your region with others etc etc. And that's fine. Offer that service and have at it. But forcing it? Especially when SC players have historically been the type to tinker with their own creations and not like when others fuss with them.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 03:20 PM
It's rather foolish to peg them as stupid. Gamers have demonstrated they will buy day one despite the shit EA pulls. It'd almost be stupid not to do what they do.

Oh yes it's 100% a problem with a retarded consumer base. And it is indeed stupid to fault with EA for making sound business moves, no matter how heartless and dickehaded they are. I just wish the cunts would stop ruining franchises that are actually good. Can't they just be satisfied with releasing a new CoD game every 6 months and leave good developers alone?

Vietnamese Crippler
03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Can't they just be satisfied with releasing a new CoD game every 6 months and leave good developers alone?

Of course they can't, they don't even publish CoD :p

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
As VC said it is in fact a case to take up with consumers. Day-1 DLC sales like hotcakes, better than hotcakes even. So now everybody wants to do it (in some cases need to). So yeah, hollar at your peoples.

And I'm not sure where the fuck Bioware came from, I didn't mention them at all.

I have no issue with DLC in of itself. It's when a $60 game is shipped and it's blatantly obvious that they're milking it with an additional $20 worth of DLC that in all honesty should have been included in the core game. I mean, compare it to a game like Skyrim where, with no additional fee, can get you 80+ hours out of the box easily. Do you think EA would ever release a game of Skyrim's scope and size with no DLC?

As for Bioware, I was referring to the Mass Effect 3 debacle. But I suppose that still ties into EA being a bunch of money grubbing tools anyway since it was probably their decision.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Of course they can't, they don't even publish CoD :p

Oh yeah, I forgot that EA and Activision aren't actually the same company trying to ruin gaming.

LoDownM
03-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Activision is SLIGHTLY better than EA. They don't use online passes, don't kill off game servers a year after a game comes out, and most important, Activision didn't ruin Command & Conquer.

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh yes it's 100% a problem with a retarded consumer base. And it is indeed stupid to fault with EA for making sound business moves, no matter how heartless and dickehaded they are. I just wish the cunts would stop ruining franchises that are actually good. Can't they just be satisfied with releasing a new CoD game every 6 months and leave good developers alone?

What?

I have no issue with DLC in of itself. It's when a $60 game is shipped and it's blatantly obvious that they're milking it with an additional $20 worth of DLC that in all honesty should have been included in the core game.

Yes it's very obvious in most cases, we're lock step here.

I mean, compare it to a game like Skyrim where, with no additional fee, can get you 80+ hours out of the box easily. Do you think EA would ever release a game of Skyrim's scope and size with no DLC?

We're talking two different business models here, adhering to two different kinds of gamers. Then there's the subjectivity of it all based on gamer perspective. For instance; Skyrim is shit ("imo"), and I got well over 80hrs of entertainment on any Battlefield game. Some could say the same phrase and add Need For Speed, Madden, fucking Sims.

I get what you're saying but you're saying it in a vacuum where all games are out to do the same thing and must adhere to some universal standard. It's just not like that.

As for Bioware, I was referring to the Mass Effect 3 debacle. But I suppose that still ties into EA being a bunch of money grubbing tools anyway since it was probably their decision.

Since what was their decision? I hear ME3 was alright and their DLC sales embolden them. A better example would be Dead Space 3.

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Don't get me wrong; fuck EA, but let's not make a Saturday morning villain out of them. I really hate that response from gamers. Balance that shit.

Kane Knight
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM

agreed. Except the CoD bit, which someone already covered. I just mention it specifically because of STD calling them stupid.

Kane Knight
03-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Don't get me wrong; fuck EA, but let's not make a Saturday morning villain out of them. I really hate that response from gamers. Balance that shit.

And most other publishers do the same shit. People lament THQ going out of business, but they had the same practices.

So while it's dumb to blame EA, it's also dumb to blame them almost exclusively on the publisher end.

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Also bear in mind it's not like EA and Activision swallows up these studios in a hostile takeover (not saying it never happens). But like how consumers make their bed, a lot of these guys sign the dotted line with free will.

There was a great episode of Ghost in the Shell that slightly dealt with the risk/reward of being funded for work that is ultimately not yours in the end. It's also why Bungie made the deal it did with Activision, who made a wise move to get on Bungie's good side.

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
And most other publishers do the same shit. People lament THQ going out of business, but they had the same practices.

So while it's dumb to blame EA, it's also dumb to blame them almost exclusively on the publisher end.

THQ left us with the innovation of the $10 Online Pass. Didn't work out for them but their legacy lives on somewhat.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Also bear in mind it's not like EA and Activision swallows up these studios in a hostile takeover (not saying it never happens). But like how consumers make their bed, a lot of these guys sign the dotted line with free will.

There was a great episode of Ghost in the Shell that slightly dealt with the risk/reward of being funded for work that is ultimately not yours in the end. It's also why Bungie made the deal it did with Activision, who made a wise move to get on Bungie's good side.

If only Maxis could go all Walter White on them and blow up half their face, I'd be content.

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
agreed. Except the CoD bit, which someone already covered. I just mention it specifically because of STD calling them stupid.

The CoD thing was supposed to be a somewhat subtle joke, alluding to the fact that they're both essentially the same type of monster

road doggy dogg
03-12-2013, 05:39 PM

I am perfectly content with villainizing them. I am merely the consumer, I don't owe them anything. Companies should be held accountable for the garbage they put out.

But if I'm forced to say something nice about EA, I'll give them credit for Dead Space.
crossrine

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I am perfectly content with villainizing them. I am merely the consumer, I don't owe them anything. Companies should be held accountable for the garbage they put out.crossrine

So long as you recognize fellow gamers being a part of the cancer.

And there was no talk of gamers owing something to companies. It's give and take, usually.

I say fuck EA in the same breath I say fuck that 'Gamestop Gamer' who pre-ordered DmC over a slick trailer.

Kane Knight
03-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Yeah, and at this point it's not like they don't know what the outcome is.

THQ left us with the innovation of the $10 Online Pass. Didn't work out for them but their legacy lives on somewhat.

What I always find amusing is that people didn't seem to bitch much when THQ did it. EA tended to be more honest, too. Saw a lot of THQ games that did not advertise their online pass. Saw a lot of EA games that did.

I guess the moral of the story is...Lie if you want to be the good guy.

Extreme Angle
03-13-2013, 06:17 AM
EA will cause the great industry crash of "insert year here".

Tommy Gunn
03-13-2013, 08:35 AM
EA will send out T-800s to ATMs to empty our bank accounts.

Actually, what the hell am I talking about, they can already do that with this guy...

Edward Furlong.

http://www2.pcmag.com/media/images/236778-terminator-2-judgment-day-1991.jpg

Kane Knight
03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
EA will cause the great industry crash of "insert year here".

They'd better hop to it. Fuckwits have been claiming that for over a decade now, and nothing's happened.

Kalyx triaD
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Industry crash my ass.

I wish more people would clarify that the AAA gaming model alone will likely implode leaving a gaping hole for other types of game production to flourish.

The only people calling for an industry wide crash are clowns who think all games are made and sold the exact same way.

Kris P Lettus
03-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Because sports

this

in addition to their already popular sports franchises, they are now gonna start doing the UFC games due to THQ going bankrupt

Kane Knight
03-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Industry crash my ass.

I wish more people would clarify that the AAA gaming model alone will likely implode leaving a gaping hole for other types of game production to flourish.

The only people calling for an industry wide crash are clowns who think all games are made and sold the exact same way.

At this point, even a "AAA" crash is unlikely.

PrettyCool
03-13-2013, 01:18 PM
EA makes the best games im playing crysis 3 and battlefield 3 right now. Also I like Origin more than steam

Kalyx triaD
03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
At this point, even a "AAA" crash is unlikely.

*looks at CoD sales*

Yeah, you're right.

Kane Knight
03-13-2013, 01:59 PM
*looks at CoD sales*

Yeah, you're right.

Given the fact that SimCity, a delisted game with issues where everyone's supposedly boycotting it and shit, is still Amazon's top selling PC game, I think we have worse problems than Activision's map pack business.

Kalyx triaD
03-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Never had beef with map packs, even if they release a month later. What I hope for is a system that keeps DLC maps in separate hoppers or at least a way for the game to recognize who did and didn't get the DLC to prevent boots. So far most modern shooters did a good job here. Microtransactions that are cosmetic are benign, so long as the metagame and balance is protected.

Something merely being on the market doesn't grind my gears like so many kiddies out there. It's like going to the supermarket, seeing a box of rice for $4.99, and complaining to the cashier, manager, your twitter, and online blog about the injustice of the rice being on the shelf when you already got noodles. Fucking ridiculous.

Kane Knight
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I was referring to annual releases as "map packs" as a way of mocking yearly updates.

Which, ultimately, I have few problems with. But the point is more that there's a bigger sign of the safety of the market than CoD.

Tom Guycott
03-14-2013, 01:56 AM
I am perfectly content with villainizing them. I am merely the consumer, I don't owe them anything. Companies should be held accountable for the garbage they put out.

crossrine

"Should be" isn't the same as reality, however. That explains Bethesda to a T. They got shit all over for a poor man's Team Fortress that they marketed as a cross between CoD and Mirror's Edge (and wasn't anywhere as near as good as any of the three) and WET (a game I personally loved, but it was really an unfinished firesale aquisiton from Sierra they just packaged up and pushed out the door AS IS), but they got Fallout and Elder Scrolls money to bail them out of such errs.

EA has a more ironclad, global licence to print money in FIFA and Madden. Gone are the days where they were the little company trying to make games better than the big boys. They've grown up in to the big boys what want to make as much profit from games while doing as little as possible to said games. I really think this is why they went after the sports exclusivity with such fervor... 2K was eating into their Madden cash cow, AND forcing them to do something besides update the roster annually.

With companies like this, "messing up" a franchise like SimCity isn't sink or swim, so they have nothing invested in it exept the potiential for another hot commodity. If it doesn't work out, "oh well". They can try again with another property.

Extreme Angle
03-14-2013, 07:10 AM
The evidence is out there. EA have ruined so many game series, and just shovel out shit nowadays.

It costs way too much to make new innovative AAA's now, so companies won't risk it.

Hence why indie games are a success.

Like Kalyx said, there won't be a 'crash' to the level of the 80's. But AAA titles won't be around much longer....

Or atleast they'll become one or two a year.

I'm trying not to hate on EA, especially since there's a chance i'll be working for them in a year or so, but they've fucked up so much...

Kane Knight
03-14-2013, 10:26 AM
but they got Fallout and Elder Scrolls money to bail them out of such errs.

And even then, someone should hold their nuts to the fire for all the game-breaking glitches and shit therein.

Kane Knight
03-14-2013, 10:26 AM
The evidence is out there. EA have ruined so many game series, and just shovel out shit nowadays.

It costs way too much to make new innovative AAA's now, so companies won't risk it.

Hence why indie games are a success.

Like Kalyx said, there won't be a 'crash' to the level of the 80's. But AAA titles won't be around much longer....

Or atleast they'll become one or two a year.

I'm trying not to hate on EA, especially since there's a chance i'll be working for them in a year or so, but they've fucked up so much...
lol innovation.

Tom Guycott
03-15-2013, 12:44 AM
And even then, someone should hold their nuts to the fire for all the game-breaking glitches and shit therein.

Yes. Literally. Fix what is obviously a problem with the engine itself, since it's the same freezing/crashing/people falling out of the world shit that has persisted since being dropped into the Elder Scrolls chasis.

Though, to be somewhat fair, Fallout, as a whole, has always been an overambitious, buggy affair. Only, when Interplay did it, it was innovative and charming. And I say that as a huge fan.

Kane Knight
03-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Yes. Literally. Fix what is obviously a problem with the engine itself, since it's the same freezing/crashing/people falling out of the world shit that has persisted since being dropped into the Elder Scrolls chasis.

Though, to be somewhat fair, Fallout, as a whole, has always been an overambitious, buggy affair. Only, when Interplay did it, it was innovative and charming. And I say that as a huge fan.

Of course, people will still buy them. Admittedly, I own Skyrim, but only because it was a free download when I replaced my XBox. I suppose I still could choose not to play it, but it seemed that they'd gotten my support anyway.

I sort of feel the same way about Gearbox and Volition. I finished up my SRTT downloads from the Season Pass, but opted not to support them for anything I hadn't bought into already. And Gearbox has a new character coming out for Borderlands 2, but given the combo of shit they pulled on us AND Sega with AVP, I'm not sure I can support them financially, either. But, as I have a season pass for the game, I will continue to download whatever remains (I think there's one DLC left). Perhaps I'm just rationalising, but I have already paid and can't get that money back. So I take it as a lesson learned.

Especially with how frustrating save eating in Bethesda games can be.

road doggy dogg
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
I've never had any issues with Skyrim with stability/crashes/bugginess/etc. But I've always played Bethesda titles on PC as opposed to consoles. Fallout 3 is probably one of my top 3 games of all time, and I don't think the game's ever crashed or glitched out on me before.

Now that I think about it, there has been one or two instances in Skyrim where I've had some sidequests glitch out (NPCs not advancing the dialogue, that sort of thing). It was easily remedied by looking online for the console command to override the 'step' of the quest, and even then it was only side quests to begin with, hardly game-breaking.

Of course, that's only my anecdotal experience, I know others have had problems with it. Guess I've just been lucky. /shrug
crossrine

Kane Knight
03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
I've never had any issues with Skyrim with stability/crashes/bugginess/etc.

I've never crashed driving home drunk.

It's not a console thing: even with heavy modding you still see PC issues.

Crossrine.

Kane Knight
03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
To put perhaps a finer point on it, there are people out there right now claiming they've never had a problem with SimCity.

road doggy dogg
03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty weak argument. I know problems exist, just saying I've never experienced any of the issues.

Anyway, back to topic, I'd hardly put Bethesda in the same class as EA, they're not nearly as awful. Not for lack of trying in recent years, though. That whole lawsuit fiasco with the Minecraft guys over the word 'scrolls' slid them up a notch on the douchebaggery pole.

crossrine

road doggy dogg
03-17-2013, 07:38 PM
To put perhaps a finer point on it, there are people out there right now claiming they've never had a problem with SimCity.

In theory this is entirely plausible. If, for example, I went and purchased the game today and loaded it up, there's a good chance I wouldn't experience any of the server issues. So I can understand that sentiment.

However, I have many other issues with the gameplay portion of the title itself (which are obviously subjective), so even if the server issues were resolved I would still say that I personally still have a problem with the game. Semantics at that point, though. To be honest though if the game launched entirely smoothly the basis of this topic would still be the same.
crossrine

El Fangel
03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Sales of Fifa 13 was 12 million as of Jan 31.

12,000,000 x 60 = 720,000,000

That's right, nearly three fourths of a billion dollars from one game.

That's why they do what they do, because they know they can and pissing off hardcore gamers is going to do nothing to the casual ones playing this.

Kane Knight
03-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Sales of Fifa 13 was 12 million as of Jan 31.

12,000,000 x 60 = 720,000,000

That's right, nearly three fourths of a billion dollars from one game.

That's why they do what they do, because they know they can and pissing off hardcore gamers is going to do nothing to the casual ones playing this.

Unfortunately, EA doesn't see most of that and even then there's the issue of income v profit. That would, of course, require knowing what you're talking about, however.

Kane Knight
03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty weak argument. I know problems exist, just saying I've never experienced any of the issues.

Anyway, back to topic, I'd hardly put Bethesda in the same class as EA, they're not nearly as awful. Not for lack of trying in recent years, though. That whole lawsuit fiasco with the Minecraft guys over the word 'scrolls' slid them up a notch on the douchebaggery pole.

crossrine

To play Devil's Advocate, they may have legitimately felt it was enough of a threat to their brand that they needed to sue. Trademark law is a "use it or lose it" deal.

road doggy dogg
03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57574971-235/ea-ceo-john-riccitiello-resigns/

EA CEO John Riccitiello resigns
John Riccitiello to leave FIFA, Battlefield publisher March 30 after six years as top executive; search for replacement to consider internal and external candidates.

by Eddie Makuch March 18, 2013 1:40 PM PDT
John Riccitiello
(Credit: EA)
Electronic Arts Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello will resign from his position at the FIFA and Battlefield publisher after six years effective March 30, the company announced today. In addition, he will no longer be a member of the game publisher's board of directors.
The EA board of directors has appointed longtime EA executive Larry Probst as executive chairman of the company while a search is conducted for Riccitiello's permanent replacement. Probst has been in a leadership position at EA since 1991 and was CEO from 1991 to 2007. The board will consider internal and external candidates, the company said, with the help of a "leading executive search firm."
"We thank John for his contributions to EA since he was appointed CEO in 2007, especially the passion, dedication, and energy he brought to the company every single day," Probst said in a statement. "John has worked hard to lead the company through challenging transitions in our industry, and was instrumental in driving our very significant growth in digital revenues. We appreciate John's leadership and the many important strategic initiatives he has driven for the company. We have mutually agreed that this is the right time for a leadership transition."
Riccitiello offered his own comments on his decision to leave EA. He praised the game publisher and its employees and said he is optimistic about the company's future with next-generation consoles on the horizon.

This doesn't really fit with anything here it just makes my heart a little warm is all.
crossrine

Kalyx triaD
03-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Just so long as you know he's pretty much the reason Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, and anything from Bioware in the last generation was because of him. Also note that most of EA's really 'evil' decisions were pushed by the guy who will most likely take his place.

This isn't the removal of EA's Emperor, it's possibly an Anakin getting promoted to Darth Vader.

Emperor Smeat
03-19-2013, 01:40 AM
Riccitiello was responsible more for the digital side of bad stuff (ex. micro-transactions push, "bad" DLC policies, etc) and studio shutdowns. Also for the current "bad blood" between EA-Nintendo, EA-Valve, and a bunch of other companies.

The one in charge now is just for the interim period since the board wants someone new to take them in a new direction.

Kane Knight
03-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Just so long as you know he's pretty much the reason Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, and anything from Bioware in the last generation was because of him. Also note that most of EA's really 'evil' decisions were pushed by the guy who will most likely take his place.

This isn't the removal of EA's Emperor, it's possibly an Anakin getting promoted to Darth Vader.

I don't know. I think Count Dushku was more of a threat than Rikki Tikki Tavi. This is more like Jar Jar losing his senate seat.

Kane Knight
03-19-2013, 01:39 PM
The one in charge now is just for the interim period since the board wants someone new to take them in a new direction.

I'd wait for a bit on that one.

In the meanwhile, don't expect any real change in direction from this, regardless of who ends up in charge.