PDA

View Full Version : Next XBOX Rumour Thread Of Horrible Doom ***ALWAYS ONLINE 2-1 ODDS***

#BROKEN Hasney
04-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Oh good lord, the MS Studios Creative Director may as well have let the cat out of the bag. Here he is arguing with someone from Bioware about always online consoles.

http://i.imgur.com/OEY5yp8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VqoBBg0.png
http://i.minus.com/jbmJQEeF9tOY7R.png

http://i.minus.com/jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

PERTINENT INFO ABOUT THIS DOUCHY EXEC:

http://i.imgur.com/WgVHms8.jpg

Obviously Reddit post; didn't read, but after poking around, some people found a post this idiot made over at NeoGAF in 2007... Under the username Sweet Billy.

Christ, this is going to be a fun ride.

EDIT: A developer from The Workshop said: "Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills."

EDIT 2 ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: Although I don't often trust the peons at Kotaku, Stephen Totilo isn't usually a bullshit merchant. This is what his source said:

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

#BROKEN Hasney
04-05-2013, 04:17 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cW28VSmXnCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kalyx triaD
04-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Eh.

drave
04-05-2013, 06:53 AM
The statement of electricity going out vs internet going out is silly.

There are numerous more ways that internet can go out, and is 100x more likely at the very least. And what about the users living in the fucking boonies?

If it is required to be always on, I will be getting a PS4.

VSG
04-05-2013, 07:31 AM
"Sweet Billy"

:lol:

#BROKEN Hasney
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
http://i.minus.com/iZ4Xc7uzxvJUA.gif

PrettyCool
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Why I buy ps4, reason #1.
I dont have internet in my living room.
:d

DaveBrawl
04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Want to punch "Sweet Billy" in his throat and make him feel "Sweet Pain".

Not even for the always online deal either, that's stupid, but whatever. Really can't stand people with a complete lack of self awareness.

Also Blacksburg is a great place and "Sweet Billy" needs to know this.

Tommy Gunn
04-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Microsoft just need to fire that dude, for our public satisfaction, and the potential PR disaster goes away until we remember the console needs CONSTANT FUCKING INTERNET!

Or what they REALLY mean...

Mandatory Xbox Gold Subs

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS07zKtPsDuxWJ3fNEUgb9xmg_T_G20dVR8j2orIqrhqVFDqpcW

Drakul
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Want to throw something at that PR guy. A shoe, a brick, whatever I have to hand.

Fignuts
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Wasn't there rumors that ps4 also needed to be online.

Kalyx triaD
04-05-2013, 01:43 PM
This is really not so serious.

Drakul
04-05-2013, 01:48 PM
It is. If I want to use the next Xbox at all, I have to buy the console, keep an internet connection, hope my provider doesn't screw up and hope that anyone else in my house doesn't decide to use the PC, Wii U or whatever else.

Just because a middle class person in the heart of New York or LA has lightening fast 24/7 internet doesn't mean everyone in the world does. MS did something similar with Kinect in a sense. They assume that, because the middle class American audience had HUGE living rooms, everyone else in the world must. UK houses are much smaller than US ones, for example. Unless you are really loaded.

What about people that aren't well off enough to get internet constantly or live in areas with poor internet in general? They can't use the Xbox at all. Even if it's a single player game.

Fignuts
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Yeah companies are really jumping the gun with this. In another 10-20 years, this might not be a big deal, but as it stands there are still way too many places that get spotty Internet, if they get it at all.

People in the mountains know what I'm talking about.

Emperor Smeat
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Yeah and technically it still does in regards to all those social and cloud features Sony unveiled but the games and system are still playable offline.

Think the "always on" rumors for both systems tied into mainly how both systems would be fighting used games. Microsoft is currently rumored to do this by only using discs for installation and Sony having tech built-in to the PS4 but leaving it up to individual publishers to decide for their games.

Kalyx triaD
04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
@Drak:

PS4, WiiU.

I don't subscribe to the notion that we have some kind of co-dependent relationship with certain companies. People can move the fuck on. Everything you wrote was emotional pleading, no offense.

People could just... not get the fucking thing.

Fignuts
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Well I was already leaning toward ps4, but if you can play offline on it, but not with Xbox that will seal the deal.

alvarado52
04-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Yknow, my xbox is always connected to Live anyway, but for some reason this really doesnt set well with me and may push me towards the PS4.

Kalyx triaD
04-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I game on 360 exclusively, but I'm not honor bound to the next Xbox. At all. It fucks up well enough you'll see my ass on PS4 or WiiU depending on what attracts me. Take my money and interests elsewhere. There you go. Just like that.

Fignuts
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
@Drak:

PS4, WiiU.

I don't subscribe to the notion that we have some kind of co-dependent relationship with certain companies. People can move the fuck on. Everything you wrote was emotional pleading, no offense.

If you have to be online constantly with Xbox and not with ps4, then yes I gaurantee you that people won't get the fucking thing.

Kalyx triaD
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
If you have to be online constantly with Xbox and not with ps4, then yes I gaurantee you that people won't get the fucking thing.

Which is fine. Good for us, good for everybody. Invisible Hand and all that.

I don't see much worth talking about.

drave
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
@Drak:

PS4, WiiU.

Co-dependent as in, using bandwidth that could potentially affect his gaming experience if the always on was implemented.

As far as not getting the Xbox, that was kinda his point. He WANTS to get it, as many others would as well. However, the always on delimiter would hurt many consumers that do not live in an area that has reliable internet, thus discouraging the purchase of their (maybe) favored choice?

Not really anything personal about the emotional pleading, reference Sim City or D III for the same kinda perspective.

People can always not buy stuff, sure.

Kalyx triaD
04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Co-dependent as in, using bandwidth that could potentially affect his gaming experience if the always on was implemented.

lol Nah, co-dependent as in "I HAVE TO GET A GAME CONSOLE I HOPE IT WORKS LIKE I WANT IT TO, I CAN ONLY EVER GET THIS ONE GAME CONSOLE SO IT HAS TO LOVE ME."

That's what I sense reading the comments sections where this news is printed. If NextBox fucks up, people just need to move on. That's what I'm getting at.

As far as not getting the Xbox, that was kinda his point. He WANTS to get it, as many others would as well. However, the always on delimiter would hurt many consumers that do not live in an area that has reliable internet, thus discouraging the purchase of their (maybe) favored choice?

Why do you wanna get a console that does a few things you don't like? At what point do you say, "Okay now I don't want that console." Why do you want a next gen console anyway?

That's what I'm talking about. So next gen consoles are coming out and people are flipping out over conventions to come. So what? Buy the one that pisses you off the least, give it your business. Can't live without Halo? Gotta bear what Microsoft wants to do. Need Mario and Zelda? Enjoy the console that'll never have Frostbite or Unreal. These consoles have something you'll have to square with but we're not lock down to any one of them.

The age of "Take My Fucking Money" needs to end and we need to make them earn our love as they did generations ago.

And do not - do not make your default position, "I want _______ but..."

No, no it's, "_________ and _________ and then I'll consider buying it."

drave
04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Right, fanboy-ism needs to die in a righteous fire, agreed.

Since he was speaking about the always on component, I assumed he meant co-dependency of bandwidth. The manner in which you speak of it would be rather absurd for someone to expect.

Personally, I am hoping MS will pull it off. I had both consoles at the beginning, just ended up using the XBox more and want to stick with it. While always on may be a deterrent for some, the other options may not even be on the table. In that case, the console market will face dismal times, as many have been ranting about all of 2012, and PC will reign over all.

Emperor Smeat
04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
MS Creative Director got punished by Microsoft and probably could be out of a job soon.

[Update]We received an official statement from Microsoft, via the company's PR firm Edelman, concerning the tweets sent by Microsoft Studios' creative director Adam Orth last evening.

The statement reads as follows:

"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

[Update] The Microsoft employee whose tweets ignited more speculation about an always-online console future has made his Twitter account private. Meanwhile, the BioWare employee who engaged in that initial Twitter exchange is defending his friend's comments.

"The initial comments are what they are and he has to answer that, but the 'why would I live there' stuff was him trolling me," wrote Manveer Heir, senior gameplay designer at BioWare, in tweets to Destructoid's Jim Sterling. "We're good friends and he was busting balls, forgetting it was online and public. Doesn't forgive the original sentiment at all."

As Sterling pointed out in his story about the tweets and the back and forth, the bits about cities weren't what made Microsoft creative director Adam Orth's posts seem so tone deaf.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/05/report-more-sources-say-next-xbox-will-require-always-on-internet-connection.aspx

Tom Guycott
04-06-2013, 12:19 AM

Not earth shatteringly so, no. It's a total "first world problem" but it's still a pain in the ass.

For example, I have no internets at home right now (kinda got assraped in local income taxes, money had to go elsewhere)... there are full games that I purchaced sitting on my drive that now are under the assumption that they are demos. I can't play what I paid for simply because I am lacking a constant connection... shifting what was supposed to be a purchase into a arbitrarily conditional lease. Had I bought the disc retail, this would not be an issue. Yet. Now, companies are toying with the notion of making this the norm and including any and all physical purchases?

There is something wrong with that.

Kalyx triaD
04-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Actually you just need to update your license for 360 this gen. It enables XBLA games and DLC to be played without an internet connection. (Assuming you're talking about 360)

Tom Guycott
04-06-2013, 12:25 AM
... with an internet connection I dont have. See how that works? Or rather, doesn't?

It's like when you have an internet connection issue on a PC, and then your PC tries to connect to the internet to look for a solution. Total catch 22.

Kalyx triaD
04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Annoying, yes, but whatever. Fuck Microsoft, move on. If the industry completely adopts this (likely), we either square with that, do better (via supporting small company/studios), or rethink our personal hobbies altogether.

It truly is; whatever.

Kalyx triaD
04-06-2013, 12:28 AM
... with an internet connection I dont have. See how that works? Or rather, doesn't?

It's like when you have an internet connection issue on a PC, and then your PC tries to connect to the internet to look for a solution. Total catch 22.

The trick is to have your licenses up to date during the same period you got the games to begin with. A precaution really. I learned this the hard way years ago with Rock Band DLC. Ever since then I make sure my licenses are up to date on the console I use every month.

Kane Knight
04-06-2013, 12:59 AM

Yup. And the PS3 as well.

In fact, the other ugly rumours (locked games, discs for install only) were also PS4 "features."

In the sense that it's about a toy, no.

Relative to the function of a consumer device, kinda serious.

Kalyx triaD
04-06-2013, 01:30 AM
If Microsoft wants their next console to suck ass I say let them. We don't need it, and I don't say that in a sense that these are just videogames. Like I would seriously jump ship to any other console when I'm convinced NextBox wouldn't serve me well. I went from N64 to PS2, and then to XB360 as my main platform. I have no allegiance to any console or franchise. They screw up, I replace them.

Now if Microsoft updated the 360 with always-online during this generation I'd totally get the rage. But as far as I'm concerned all these rumors of crappy moves are basically giving us fair warning before buying the damn thing.

Tom Guycott
04-06-2013, 01:30 AM
A precaution that a) everyone isn't aware of ::raises hand::, and b) seems silly in an era of "plug and play". Game goes in system, it should work. Simple*.

This is made even sillier by the fact that LIVE updates at least once a month with the whole "update this or be punted" ultimatum that also shows up anytime you put in a brand new disc/a game you haven't played in awhile. (And this is still better than the harsh "GTFO NOW!!!" crash-disguised-as-an-update thing the PS3 does).

I shouldn't have to futz around with extra settings buried in some unpublisized menu just to ensure I can play what I paid for whenever I want to do so in the same way that it shouldn't be codependent on me being on speaking terms with my cable provider.

This isn't so much a "fuck M$" thing as it is a fuck whoever thinks this is a grand idea period, and hope movie distribution doesn't get similar ideas.

*Not accounting for true total MMO type affairs. Or the game itself being buggy and/or unfinished- that's a different topic altogether. :glares at Gatling Gears:

Kalyx triaD
04-06-2013, 01:39 AM
I agree that they should make the license thing more public, especially after people got replacement 360s during the 'dark days'.

Updates are whatever.

The license system is in place to prevent the oh so easy way of loading games on other people's consoles, copy-pasta pirating using Microsoft's own network. And even though there's still a work around (I found a way to use SFxT DLC Khuntry purchased and even use them online with Khuntry in a lobby, before I purchased them myself), I totally get why it's there.

Looking toward the future, you should probably get used to this sort of thing if you wanna keep gaming - or at least hope competitors rise to answer the call for true plug and play.

Tom Guycott
04-06-2013, 01:41 AM
But as far as I'm concerned all these rumors of crappy moves are basically giving us fair warning before buying the damn thing.

The biggest problem, however, is that we, as an audience, will accept it. Much in the way that we find it completely acceptable for console failure, glitched titles, lack of customizable control schemes, etc.

Likely because we fear that instead of changing the minds of whatever company into seeing the consumer downside as opposed to the money grab they've cooked up, they'll just take their ball and go home like Sega and we lose all that potential "good shit" over one thing. And we gotta have the next newest biggest. We just gotta.

Nope, we'll bitch all the way to the retailer to give them our money anyway.

Kalyx triaD
04-06-2013, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't put that on the companies, though. If I have any one thesis in the 'grand gaming conversation' online, it's how consumers need to be empowered and reminded who really runs shit. I will argue this ad infinitum, "Stop bitching, stop the petitions, let's fuck them over by closing our wallets."

So when some bullshit franchise with some bullshit revenue model breaks launch week records ensuring we're get more stupid games and bullshit transaction models - I put blame to the people. Saying they're gullible and/or stupid doesn't begin to mitigate their role for me.

SlickyTrickyDamon
04-06-2013, 01:58 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cW28VSmXnCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who keeps giving this guy xboxes to break?

Kane Knight
04-06-2013, 01:59 AM
let's fuck them over by closing our wallets.

If only these were single-issue referendums.

drave
04-06-2013, 08:22 AM
ITT:

We learn that everything having to do with games is bullshit or whatever :D

Shisen Kopf
04-06-2013, 09:24 AM
This makes me angry. I think I am the most upset by this out of everyone here. Not only is rasslin serious business but so are video games.

Extreme Angle
04-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Oh well... Wasn't there a rumoured Next-box (I like that Kalyx) announcement set for April? Or is it still set for E3?

Emperor Smeat
04-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Right now its only rumored to be announced on April 26 with its own event similar to what Sony did with the PS4.

dronepool
04-07-2013, 02:08 AM
What a dumbass... made a meme via this news.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2v8rayh.jpg

Kane Knight
04-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Deal Wit Hit indeed.

Emperor Smeat
04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
According to rumors from The Verge, the official debut for the Next Xbox is expected to occur on May 21.

Also rumored to be following the PS4 and offer no backwards compatibility although wasn't specified if its just in regards to discs or also XBLA games similar to the PS4 not having PS3 discs and PS3 PSN compatibility. Previous rumors stated the Next Xbox only uses discs for game installs and not for playing games.

In regards to pricing, its rumored to be having 2 models priced at $500 and $300 although other rumors tease the prices being higher.

More signs also point towards the "always on" rumors being true as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/08/veteran-tech-blogger-spills-xbox-720-reveal-date-pricing-and-more

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/4195954/microsoft-planning-xbox-event-for-may

Kane Knight
04-08-2013, 05:46 PM
<div style='width:650px;font-size: 12px;'><embed src="http://cdn2.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.12.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/config/7100-95f104e8a181ac305be396135a265930.js%3Fplayer_version%3D2.5%26embed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="391" wmode="opaque"></embed><div><a href='http://www.escapistmagazine.com'>The Escapist</a> : <a href='http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition'>Jimquisition</a> : <a href='/videos/view/jimquisition/7100-Why-An-Always-On-DRM-Console-Would-Be-Dumb-Dumb-Dumb'>Why An Always-On DRM Console Would Be Dumb Dumb Dumb</a></div></div>

I swear, Jim is stalking me.

Kane Knight
04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
According to rumors from The Verge, the official debut for the Next Xbox is expected to occur on May 21.

Also rumored to be following the PS4 and offer no backwards compatibility although wasn't specified if its just in regards to discs or also XBLA games similar to the PS4 not having PS3 discs and PS3 PSN compatibility. Previous rumors stated the Next Xbox only uses discs for game installs and not for playing games.

In regards to pricing, its rumored to be having 2 models priced at $500 and $300 although other rumors tease the prices being higher.

More signs also point towards the "always on" rumors being true as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/08/veteran-tech-blogger-spills-xbox-720-reveal-date-pricing-and-more

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/4195954/microsoft-planning-xbox-event-for-may

In short, the "rumours" have about as much accuracy as a ten day forecast.

DAMN iNATOR
04-08-2013, 06:06 PM
In short, the "rumours" have about as much accuracy as a ten day forecast.

You mean a 10-day forecast after the 2nd day.

Kalyx triaD
04-08-2013, 07:21 PM
May's too close to E3. Rather not see the same conference twice.

Drakul
04-09-2013, 03:38 AM
If it turns out to be an expensive, always online, install filled machine with no BC at all, I doubt it'll do well. Wasn't their rumours it'd only play new games and not used ones?

It'll never work...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2A2O8Q5WxiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Emperor Smeat
04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
The possible origin causing the "always on" rumor might have been leaked to be the plans for the Next Xbox to feature tv services similar to Google TV. This feature would also support the next version of Kinect for added functionality.

Sources close to Microsoft have revealed to The Verge that the new console will have TV functionality close to Google TV.

Apparently, connecting the console to a cable connection will allow users to use an overlay to access programs from content providers but will require an online connection to access TV signals. Could this be where the "always on" rumors have come from concerning the next Xbox? There's also proposed Kinect support to tie in with the media functionality.
http://www.destructoid.com/new-xbox-to-have-tv-functionality-close-to-google-tv-251261.phtml

Kane Knight
04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Smelly Meatball, VG Forum's Ryan Clark.

whiteyford
04-10-2013, 06:54 PM
He doesn't take the credit you silly goose.

whiteyford
04-10-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't this will be a day one purchase for me regardless of the always online issue, the lack of backwards compatability is a bit meh and I don't hold out much hope for the launch titles.

Unless its Fable 4 then sure why not, I love disappointment.

Kane Knight
04-10-2013, 06:59 PM
If it turns out to be an expensive, always online, install filled machine with no BC at all, I doubt it'll do well. Wasn't their rumours it'd only play new games and not used ones?

It'll never work...
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2A2O8Q5WxiM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

It doesn't hurt that they have virtually no exclusives anymore. I mean, I know HALOOOOOOOO will move some units, as will Gears of War, but with all these rumours (which may or may not be true, as they all seem recycled from other consoles), I wonder if even those will be sufficient.

drave
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
If it is online only for the TV bit, that could be great. Soooooooooo tired of Comcast. Have a nifty way to "watch" tv otherwise, but takes quite a bit of time......

Keep the DRM out, which is a bogus reason anyway. There is no stopping piracy.

El Fangel
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
If there is a post that explains this always online thing can someone point me to it?

Kalyx triaD
04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Consoles should never be a day 1 purchase, imo.

El Fangel
04-10-2013, 10:29 PM

I by default wait three months in the hopes any hardware issues were brought to light. Can you imagine me, ME, purchasing a launch day system and it not working?

Kalyx triaD
04-11-2013, 12:05 AM
You'd probably need your own forum.

El Fangel
04-11-2013, 01:22 AM
I'd politely return it and ask for a refund. I don't get what you are talking about Kalyx.

Kalyx triaD
04-11-2013, 01:32 AM
You wouldn't return it. You'd play CoD.

El Fangel
04-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Haven't played CoD in I dont know how long now. Been playing Skyrim and TMNT.

Drakul
04-11-2013, 04:24 AM
That deal with it guy has left Microsoft. A source close to him says he resigned, he wasn't fired. I bet he was told to resign so he was probably just fired in a fancy way.

El Fangel
04-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Guy seemed like a douche anyway. Good riddance.

Kane Knight
04-11-2013, 09:47 AM

They really shouldn't. Especially when you consider that the DRE from the PS2 and RROD from the 360 were both likely known flaws.

The funny thing is that they rush them to market with the knowledge that we'll collectively buy them just to have the first new shiny toy.

That deal with it guy has left Microsoft. A source close to him says he resigned, he wasn't fired. I bet he was told to resign so he was probably just fired in a fancy way.

More, he was just fired in a standard executive way.

I by default wait three months in the hopes any hardware issues were brought to light. Can you imagine me, ME, purchasing a launch day system and it not working?

It's funny because this is the same shithead who spazzed out at me when I suggested he shouldn't try and build his own PC. And now he's alluding to the same failings.

El Fangel
04-11-2013, 06:17 PM
It's funny because this is the same shithead who spazzed out at me when I suggested he shouldn't try and build his own PC. And now he's alluding to the same failings.

Yes, yes of course. That is entirely and completely comparable.

El Fangel
04-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Whoever took the 2-1 odds lost.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/