PDA

View Full Version : Early WMXXIX buyrate not good

slik
04-17-2013, 09:21 AM
credit - wrestlinginc

It will be a few months before we get an official buyrate for the WrestleMania 29 pay-per-view but F4Wonline.com reports that three different sources this past week stated that very early estimates do not look good. One number being floated around was "downright shocking." WWE's own internal projections were lowered substantially in the final week before the pay-per-view based on the Elimination Chamber buys coming in lower than expected
Hmmm....is this news or newz? On one hand I could see the buyrate being lower than last year since all the big matches had been seen before and there was a feeling of the rest of the card being thrown together...but on the other hand, it's WM.

Shisen Kopf
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I bet the stream rate was good though. woooooo system restore boooo malware!

Bad News Gertner
04-17-2013, 09:37 AM
CM Punk continues to kill the company

Shisen Kopf
04-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah but CM Punk left on Monday night never to return again like last time he left. He'll be headlining OCW soon.

Kane Knight
04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Slik is posting it, so it's probably false.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if this was true.

Innovator
04-17-2013, 09:58 AM
It was a card of rematches with little to no build for any of them, they deserve a low buyrate.

James Steele
04-17-2013, 10:04 AM
We've all talked about the idea that "WrestleMania sells itself" and I think WWE really believed that going into this year. I think WrestleMania will always sell a shitload of tickets, but I think it is harder than ever to get most people to spend $70 on a wrestling show.

Corporate CockSnogger
04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Well I guess they know what they need to do for next year then. Bring back more older guys part time!

Corporate CockSnogger
04-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Bring back Austin, Sid, Goldberg. Anyone who can still squeeze into their trunks.

Joesgonnakillyou
04-17-2013, 11:21 AM
It's a bit premature, the buyrate's not even out yet but if it is true I guess the novelty value of The Rock returning has worn off a bit.

whiteyford
04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
It'll just get worse unless they get serious about creating new stars, 'Mania will always attract a better than average buy rate but they can't rely on part timers to generate a buzz year in year out.

Bad News Gertner
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
I know what happened. HHH promo on the Raw before Wrestlemania put everybody to sleep and they didn't wake up until Wrestlemania was over.

dronepool
04-17-2013, 11:57 AM
CM Punk/Taker and Lesnar/HHH was the only good thing about WM29, the show was mediocre and the card sucked.

MoFo
04-17-2013, 12:03 PM
I watched on Youtube like 2 hrs after it finished, was never paying 20 quid for that shit.

Corndad
04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Too many rematches. When they knew Rock-Cena II was happening should have gone with fresh matches on under card.

Team Sheep
04-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Not surprised if it's true. Shit build, shit card. Think they relied too much on it being in New York City that it would automatically sell. And I don't remember anyone crying for a Rock/Cena and Triple H/Lesnar rematch, yet they just did it anyway. They got lazy as hell this year and I hope this is a wake up call.

Cuse8
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
We've all talked about the idea that "WrestleMania sells itself" and I think WWE really believed that going into this year. I think WrestleMania will always sell a shitload of tickets, but I think it is harder than ever to get most people to spend $70 on a wrestling show.

this

slik
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Bring back Austin, Sid, Goldberg. Anyone who can still squeeze into their trunks.

WMXXX:

Nash v. HHH in a 'torn quad on a pole' match.

First man to the torn quad can use it as a weapon.

Emperor Smeat
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Would be surprised if it drops under a million or high 900,000s but can see the domestic buys being pretty low considering how poorly the overall build for Mania was this year.

Could see a drop in stream buys for future ppvs and maybe the next Mania because of how poor the service was for this year's Mania.

ClockShot
04-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Too damn expensive and Cena was gonna win.

Who'd wanna buy it?

seapig4
04-17-2013, 03:49 PM
No build up and rematches that didn't need to happen, I miss money in the bank at wm

Mooияakeя™
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
RAW was a better show than mania. Should of done a couple of things they did on RAW on mania. I think it also suffers massively for not having the MITB match

James Steele
04-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Would be surprised if it drops under a million or high 900,000s but can see the domestic buys being pretty low considering how poorly the overall build for Mania was this year.

Could see a drop in stream buys for future ppvs and maybe the next Mania because of how poor the service was for this year's Mania.

I streamed it on my Xbox and it was awesome except for a minor blip after CM Punk's entrance which was back on in a few seconds. I haven't read about issues with the streaming. What happened?

Emperor Smeat
04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
The WWE.com stream stopped working shortly after the pre-show ended and was down either for most of the ppv or all of it. Think there were also problems when people tried to contact customer support and quick refunds.

Kane Knight
04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
It's a bit premature, the buyrate's not even out yet but if it is true I guess the novelty value of The Rock returning has worn off a bit.

There are preliminary reports every year, and they would be distributed internally.

The question is, is this a legit leak or preying on the overall negativity the internet seems to have for this year's Mania?

Vastardikai
04-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Part of the issue with Mania was that the outcome of the Main Event was known the second Ryback went over the top rope at the Royal Rumble.

I think a Ryback/Punk Main Event with Ryback FINALLY getting his big win would have been more interesting.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-17-2013, 11:02 PM
I watched it. So that's 1

Supreme Olajuwon
04-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Oh I didn't pay for it though. So I guess 0

Fignuts
04-18-2013, 12:50 AM
What Supreme said.

CSL
04-25-2013, 11:14 AM
reports are 1.2m buys (set to be 3rd all time behind XXVIII and 23), $72m gross (#1 all time). "Downright shocking".

VSG
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
HOW DARE THEY?

James Steele
04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
If it wasn't for me, they would only have had 1,199,999 buys.

James Steele
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
I wonder how many buys they got off of WWE.com/Xbox Live/Samsung SmartTV users compared to years past. My feed off the X-Box was in "glorious" HD and the same price as my cable company who doesn't even offer the HD feed. I'll probably order all the PPVs through XBox Live now.

slik
04-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Hmmm....is this news or newz? On one hand I could see the buyrate being lower than last year since all the big matches had been seen before and there was a feeling of the rest of the card being thrown together...but on the other hand, it's WM.

Newz indeed.

Emperor Smeat
04-25-2013, 02:33 PM
STAMFORD, Conn., April 25, 2013 – WWE® (NYSE:WWE) today announced that WrestleMania 29, held Sunday, April 7 at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, grossed an excess of $72 million, the highest grossing event in WWE history. In addition, WrestleMania 29 will once again exceed 1 million global pay-per-view buys and attracted a sold out crowd of 80,676 fans from all 50 states and 34 countries at MetLife Stadium.

To put that number in perspective, WrestleMania 28 grossed $67 million and drew 1.3 million pay-per-view buys in 2012.

The PPV, always WWE’s biggest each year, again generated more than 1 million buys for the company worldwide. While total purchases of “WrestleMania 29” are still being tabulated by cable companies and other platforms that offered show, preliminary numbers estimate that it will reach around 1.2 million, less than the record 1.3 million sold for the Miami event, but those figures could still increase.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/wrestlemania-29-sets-earnings-record-for-wwe-1200414828/

The decision to increase Mania's price by about $10 paid off for the WWE in the end.

Still the potential for the domestic buys ending up being lower than usual while the international buys might end up being the highest in Mania history.

James Steele
04-25-2013, 02:39 PM
WWE doesn't give a shit if the buys are in Utah or Ethiopia. A buy is a buy. Growing internationally helps protect you (somewhat) from fluctuating domestic markets.

SlickyTrickyDamon
04-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I heard Cole say they were in France for the first time or some shit.

Kane Knight
04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Newz indeed.

It was posted by slik. Odds were good.

Bad News Gertner
04-26-2013, 02:17 PM
$72 million dollars! That's impossible because the WWE sux and Antonion Cesaro didn't rassle and CM PUnk didn't win every belt!

VSG
04-26-2013, 02:25 PM
lol Ant Onion Cesaro

Bad News Gertner
04-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Hahahahahaha!

Swiss Ultimate
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I remember last year after Mania and Street Jimmy was pissing on the Wrestlemania buys even though it was like record-breaking money they made.

Oh well. As a now super-casual fan I can say honestly I had no interest in watching Cena VS. Rock 2 (Twice in a lifetime), Triple H VS. Lesnar, or anything else on the match. Well, not completely true, kinda wanted to see Punk VS. Taker, but only because I liked their last PPV match together.

I wasn't really sold on the Wrestlemania before this, but I think I watched it online illegally or at least part of it. I know the Mania before that with Cena VS. The Miz had me interested and wanting to watch, but I was at sea so I didn't get to check it out. Was happy when The Miz won.

Droford
04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
They're going to break this next year since I heard they think they can top wm 3 in attendance at the super dome.

Rasslin' Fan 29
04-26-2013, 07:07 PM
72 million dollars from one 5 hour pro wrestling show. Vince McMahon is a genius.

XL
04-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Any idea on profit?

Kane Knight
04-27-2013, 08:51 AM
72 million dollars from one 5 hour pro wrestling show. Vince McMahon is a genius.

Are you kidding? Obviously he's a failure. internet news said so!

screech
04-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Scott Hall's surgery went well. Get him on the phone!

scatterbrain28
05-20-2013, 08:37 AM
I bet the stream rate was good though. woooooo system restore boooo malware!

See, this guy knows how to solve a virus problem.

Keith
05-20-2013, 08:40 AM
No surprise the buyrate is reportedly lower than expected. WWE kinda "mailed it in" this year, they didn't go all-out with the build-ups like they usually do.

The main build-up we saw was for the Punk/Taker match, it started off somewhat "late" and just revolved around Paul Bearer's death. Rock wasn't around that much compared to the previous year, his match with Cena was a rematch.

It just wasn't a good lead-up to the company's biggest show of the year. The "Road to WrestleMania" wasn't what we're used to seeing.

scatterbrain28
05-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Not surprised if it's true. Shit build, shit card. Think they relied too much on it being in New York City that it would automatically sell. And I don't remember anyone crying for a Rock/Cena and Triple H/Lesnar rematch, yet they just did it anyway. They got lazy as hell this year and I hope this is a wake up call.

IN NEW JERSEY!! WATCH IT, PAL!!

DAMN iNATOR
05-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Sounds like a personal problem...:shifty:

Bad News Gertner
05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
IN NEW JERSEY!! WATCH IT, PAL!!

Even worse. America's shitter.

Kane Knight
05-20-2013, 06:04 PM
No surprise the buyrate is reportedly lower than expected. WWE kinda "mailed it in" this year, they didn't go all-out with the build-ups like they usually do.

You realise this has already been shot down by the numbers, right? It seems that WWE can mail it in and still make more money than last year.

Mr. Nerfect
05-21-2013, 03:16 AM
I wonder if the WWE will go all-out at WrestleMania next year, or if this will be a signal to them that they can "phone it in" and just go with rematches? The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar is rumored to be happening, and while I've got no interest in the match, I'm sure that will be good for the WWE's purse.

Mr. Nerfect
05-21-2013, 03:17 AM
I actually ordered the PPV because I was really excited for Punk vs. Taker, Jericho vs. Fandango, Bryan wrestling and The Shield.

Emperor Smeat
05-25-2013, 02:04 PM
WWE released the official preliminary buyrates for Wrestlemania 29. Still breaks the record in regards to money made but won't break the buyrate record from last year.

Depending on the final numbers it can go as high as 3rd best (1.1) and as low as 5th best (1.5) for all-time.

The preliminary WrestleMania 29 buys total is 1,048,000 million buys. This number was released late Friday night by WWE.

WWE did not include numbers for international and domestic breakdowns. Although this number is slightly down from Wrestlemania 28 in terms of total buys, it is likely that it will still be the highest grossing due to the increased PPV price, more places to watch the event, etc.

The final PPV buy total will be released sometime in August. Look for WWE to tout their success and round the total buys to about 1.1 million.

mike adamle
05-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Really disappointed they raised the price. I can't justify paying 70 dollars for a wrestling show when I can get it for free the next day on torrents.

The CHT
05-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Or even buy a stream for $10 that will work better than the one the WWE offers.

The CHT
05-25-2013, 02:09 PM
The free streams even held up better than the WWE one from what I've heard.

Shindig Jeff
05-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Im not aloud to get WWE PPVs cuz i got in trouble when i ordered Night of Champions and i didnt tell anyone and then my dad gets the bill and he says " what the hell is you order this for?" I was like "its good" and he was like "wrestling is fake and this is way expensive and you will pay this back" and I was like "yeah ok" and he was like "yeah, you will" and I said "i said I would" and he said " yeah right, you isnt even have a job?" and I was like "im putting out applications and nothing is hiring right now" and he was like "your a looser and you won't get into college and yeah you going to join the army so you learn the displine" and I was like "no way" and he said "Your grounded too" and I was like "no way man" anmd he was like "I'm done talking about this, you need to get me $". lolz i ordered extreme rulez and he doesnt know yet. ahahahahaha

James Steele
05-28-2013, 01:41 PM
I watched WM29 on my X-Box and had no problems whatsoever. I love the service especially since my cable company doesn't offer the HD feed of PPVs.