PDA

View Full Version : Has JBL's latest run in the booth been a disappointment?

mike adamle
05-21-2013, 07:54 AM
I said something about this in the Raw thread and figured it deserved it's own thread.

The announce team has seemed very forced the last few months. When JBL first came back he was all over Michael Cole, just berating him in the booth. Lately though, they all just talk. And their conversations are so uninteresting. What's the deal? Anyone else feel this way?

I'm normally a big JBL fan, so this run has kind of taken me by surprise. He isn't being his normal asshole self, just like King is a watered down version of himself. Wish they'd let a heel announcer really be a heel.

#BROKEN Hasney
05-21-2013, 07:54 AM
No

mike adamle
05-21-2013, 07:59 AM
You've liked his run? I thought it was fun at first but lately he's just become "one of the guys." They have such lame conversations at the table. Have I just been missing something? When was the last night you had fun listening to the JBL-King-Cole combo?

Bad News Gertner
05-21-2013, 08:22 AM
JBL is amazing, always has been amazing and always will be amazing.

The Condor
05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
JBL is fantastic on commentary. I especially enjoy his work on Smackdown, dude is able to add to the psychology/emotion of the match and do it in an entertaining way. I even love when he goes schizophrenic and turns heel and face within short periods of time (case in point: how he gushed about Ricardo Rodriguez and then said he deserved to have his ankle broken by Swagger)

Chavo Classic
05-21-2013, 12:44 PM
I prefer that JBL hasn't been the typical overbearing heel announcer of late. He's doing a good job counter-acting the drivel that Cole spills out every week without distracting from the action in the ring. He's also one of the best guys for putting over others - the way he talks about the Shield as a genuine threat has been great.

whiteyford
05-21-2013, 12:58 PM
He's commentating rather than being a character and actually adding to it instead of getting himself over.

mike adamle
05-21-2013, 01:33 PM
I like his actual commentating of the match, I guess it's just more if his conversations, specifically with King, or with King and Cole. They're always just so stupid. I guess that'd be more of a gripe towards King though.

On the other side I've been really impressed with Michael Cole for the last year or 2.

Emperor Smeat
05-21-2013, 02:19 PM
No although do agree that he seems a bit more toned down at least in regards to RAW. Think it might be more due to how boring the King-Cole team can be at times especially when it doesn't involve a main event feud or anything Cena related.

On Smackdown JBL fits better considering Cole and Matthews mesh better as a team and with JBL's style.

Mr. Nerfect
05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
JBL is such a treasure in the booth. One thing I would consider, however, is giving the guy some time off here and there. Currently the guy is doing RAW, SmackDown and PPVs, and he's often doing Main Event. How about you just use the guy on RAW and PPV, and then let SmackDown be handled by Josh Mathews and Matt Striker. More and more I am getting the complaints about Striker, but I think if the guy got another shot, he wouldn't be such a smark and would be the fantastic announcer he was during his original SmackDown run (and not during his current "I'm desperately trying to stand out" Superstars run).

Michael Cole is great at his job, despite all the shit he gets. But how about you just keep him on RAW with JBL and, in a perfect world, Jim Ross. Since the brand split doesn't matter anymore, on weeks when JR can't do RAW, have Matt Striker take his place as a know-it-all-but-wasn't-ever-anything-himself counterpoint to JBL. Or have Joey Styles come in as a "Paul Heyman Guy." Or use the Josh Mathews/Michael Cole/JBL grouping. Or even have Heyman himself sit in on commentary. Or just have Cole and JBL do it. Whatever. It's just in case RAW being three hours gets too much for those guys to do.

SmackDown doesn't need a three-man team.

The CHT
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
I like his actual commentating of the match, I guess it's just more if his conversations, specifically with King, or with King and Cole. They're always just so stupid. I guess that'd be more of a gripe towards King though.

On the other side I've been really impressed with Michael Cole for the last year or 2.

I must agree with my fellow Team Gorm member. JBL calling the matches and discussing feuds is brilliant. When they go into these stupid side conversations where they try to tell jokes it gets really lame. Their fascination with Summer Rae is pathetic too. That girl's face looks like what you'd get if you tried to cross Maryse's face with a beagle's.

Keith
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Nah, it hasn't been a disappointment at all. He's been able to fit right in with King and Cole.

mike adamle
05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Nah, it hasn't been a disappointment at all. He's been able to fit right in with King and Cole.

I guess that's what disappoints me. I'd expect JBL to stand out with King and Cole, not fit in with them.

Keith
05-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I guess that's what disappoints me. I'd expect JBL to stand out with King and Cole, not fit in with them.

When it's a 3-man announce team, one member can't stand out more than the other 2. They all have to work as a cohesive unit, otherwise it just doesn't flow.

That's why JR doesn't like it when it's more than 2 people.

Lux
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
without a doubt I agree with all of the above opinions. honestly if they ever toned down JBL. they'd lose viewers. I can't remember over all these years how I wouldn't laugh while watching, he keeps it entertaining and has pretty good "laugh out loud" moments.

mike adamle
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
When it's a 3-man announce team, one member can't stand out more than the other 2. They all have to work as a cohesive unit, otherwise it just doesn't flow.

That's why JR doesn't like it when it's more than 2 people.

I'd rather one person stick out than all 3 be boring.

Keith
05-22-2013, 01:14 PM
But Cole, King and JBL aren't boring. They bring up "inside jokes" and all that shit.

I think they "gel" together pretty well.

Still miss JR tho. Especially on PPV's.

ClockShot
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't mind JBL at all.

However, when it comes to The Shield being in the ring, he can't keep saying "This is their yard." every week. It's a bit of a broken record.

Nicky Fives
05-22-2013, 05:45 PM
too much Cole..... they had the right idea with Cole only working Raw & Main Events, but for some reason they have him on Smackdown now as well.... Keep the 3-man Cole, King & JBL team for PPV's and let JBL & Josh develop some more chemistry and things would be better in my eyes.....

mike adamle
05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Do you guys actually enjoy King at the announce table every Monday?

Keith
05-22-2013, 06:03 PM
No.

But no way WWE fires him any time soon after his heart attack, so we're stuck w/ him.

mike adamle
05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
But he is returning to the ring in the indy's it's always possible he has another

Mr. Nerfect
05-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Jerry Lawler should move into a different role. I've said it before and I stand by it. He could be the General Manager of RAW, or maybe he could be aligned with some guy. I suggested William Regal manage him in another thread, but how about Cesaro brings back Aksana to his corner, but then uses Aksana to seduce Jerry Lawler into leaving commentary and being his manager? Jerry Lawler and Aksana being in the corner of Cesaro might be weird at first, but it could get over in time. It might start an interesting heel manager run for Lawler.

Mr. Nerfect
05-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Since they always do those interactive fan voting things, too, they could have Jerry Lawler become the official correspondent for that sort of stuff, too. He can get his own entrance every week, cut a bit of a humorous promo giving us his insight into storylines that have just happened and then get to revealing who will be facing Randy Orton later that night.

I think the most shocking thing about King still being in the booth is that he has gone on record and said that he actually doesn't really like doing it, but Vince McMahon likes him as a commentator so he stays.

Skippord
05-23-2013, 01:24 AM
he's been pretty great, I never particularly liked him as a wrestler but he is terrif on commentary

see my thread about this from 2007