PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want to see one last run for William Regal?

mike adamle
05-22-2013, 06:55 AM
I do. The guy deserves it. He might be in the worst shape of his life right now, but everyone loves him. He's worked so hard over the years and now some of his trainees are in the big leagues with him.

A program with Regal and Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Dean Ambrose, Antonio Cesaro, or even Kassius Ohno on WWE TV (not NXT) is something I really want to see before he hangs his boots up.

What do you guys think? Has he already had his time? Or do you think he could have a last run?

Keith
05-22-2013, 06:59 AM
If by "a run" you mean contending for a top spot, that won't happen.

But he could definitely feud for the US or IC titles.

I still think he's got to hate himself for pissing away that push he was getting when he won the KOTR that one year and then got suspended.

Corporate CockSnogger
05-22-2013, 07:04 AM
I really like the guy but at this stage, no not really, unless it was in some sort of mentor role which people have been clamoring for for years with someone like Barrett or McIntyre.

They are a lot worse ideas though, than getting rid of all the awkward on air authority characters and just giving Regal the GM role again. Move Teddy Long and Booker into backstage roles or something and have a face Regal going up against a heel Vickie. Or just get rid of Vickie as well.

Savio
05-22-2013, 09:38 AM
No

Shisen Kopf
05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
No, he's too old. WWE should start a senior division and he could rassle Foley for the old fart championship.

Rammsteinmad
05-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him again (not in the main event though), but realistically nah, not really bothered. He's a multi-time Intercontinental Champion, tag champion etc, KOTR winner... the guy's had a good run. The whole "one last run" thing is something I hate hearing about any old guys. Most people don't even one run, let along a "last" one. Regal's had a good career, is still going today, and will probably still be a part of the WWE for a long time, making a living doing something he loves and helping younger guys get their careers going, he's done alright as is.

The Condor
05-22-2013, 11:17 AM
What he's doing is fine, no need to besmirch his legacy if he embarrasses himself

MoFo
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
:nono:

el bobbo
05-22-2013, 11:45 AM
He's in a good spot right now. I wouldn't mind seeing more sporadic appearances outside of the annual UK dates, but I'll take what I can get.

05-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately he got his push and screwed it up. Can't see him as any more than a bit player anymore.

Mr. Nerfect
05-23-2013, 01:15 AM
William Regal is one of the best performers the WWE has. In the ring or outside it. I'd definitely be all for the guy returning for more on-air talking roles, because he's absolutely tremendous at them. All you need to do is hear him talk to begin to forget the guy's age or that he was never a main eventer in the WWE.

Does he still look the part? Regal was never really a bodybuilder-type, anyway. He had some size to him early in his career, but his WWE stuff has always had him with that sort of "builder's muscle" look. His story-telling inside the ring would more than make up for that.

If Regal wants another run, and there's room for him, I'd see no problem giving him a shot at Dean Ambrose, or even a match against Daniel Bryan as a "teacher vs. student" type thing one week on Main Event. He sort of farted away his own push in 2008 though. He might have amassed several World Titles by now if it wasn't for that. I was pretty sure he was about to become WWE Champion as a heel in 2008 and drop it off to CM Punk. But years later, with only one suspension to his name and the WWE trying to do something special in England, they might have had him win the title as a babyface or something, which they probably don't consider now.

Regal as a manager is something that could help out, but with Paul Heyman around it's not really urgent. I could see Regal as a tremendous speaker for Antonio Cesaro, though. I remember how well Regal did for Ezekiel Jackson in ECW. A Cesaro vs. Christian feud with Regal sending Cesaro against his "old friend" Christian could be an intriguing mid-card story. It could even lead to Regal vs. Christian, which Regal could win when Cesaro helps his mentor out.

So, basically, I'd have Regal work on the main roster as a successful part-time wrestler who gets the win when his clients help him out, but is mainly using them to get himself into the spotlight one last time.

Fignuts
05-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Honestly everyone says he screwed it up for himself, but it was really the nature of the business that did it. In Foley's last book, he mentions the Regal situation. He doesn't cite Regal by name, but given the timeframe, and context of the story, it's completely obvious.

Anyway, he said the worst part about it was that the ingerdient that busted him wasn't actually listed in the supplement. I know for a fact that this is quite common. The killer is that these guys pretty much have to take these supplements to keep in the best shape possible to keep up with WWE's grueling travel schedule. So they're stuck making this gamble just to keep their spot and possibly to move up. Regal wasn't the first, nor was he the last to fall into this connundrum.

Now I'm not saying he's 100% innocent. He could of known, he might not have. Point is we don't know. So it's not really fair to condemn him for it.

As for a final run, I don't know. Part of me feels it's too little too late. But I haven't seen him perform, in a long time. If age hasn't slown him down too much, and he can still go, then sure.

I mean yeah, he's been irrelevant for a long time, but how many guys have they taken from jobbing on heat to the main event in a matter of weeks? With Regal it would be easy given his top class ability both in the ring and on the mic.

Even if he can't compete, he's still being wasted. One of the most brilliant heels ever, and definitely a maestro on the stick, and you haven't put him on TV as a manager? So many young guys on the roster who can't talk their way out of a paper bag, and you have one of the best sitting in the back doing nothing. It's absurd.

Vastardikai
05-23-2013, 03:07 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O5oQ3dkC5xI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kareru
05-23-2013, 07:30 AM
YAY an excuse to post this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/06Tr18G3w80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

XL
05-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Regal should be a mouthpiece. He could be paired with Adrian Neville, who is gonna struggle on the mic with his accent. Or he could be paired with a post-3MB Drew McIntyre, as a mentor/tag partner. Or even with Wade Barrett, who is great on the mic but is seemingly lacking direction currently. Or, Mason Ryan, presuming he has improved in the ring. Or throw them together as "The Empire". Regal (Manager), Barrett (Main Eventer), McIntyre (Seconardy Championship), Ryan & Neville (Tag Team) would be a pretty well rounded faction. Or, add a guy like Antonio Cesaro and/or a serious Santino and you have a "United Nations" group.

DAMN iNATOR
05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Love the guy to death, but he's washed up unfortunately. It really saddens me to say that, but the truth hurts sometimes. :wavesad:

Sepholio
05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Love the guy. Anything putting him on TV gets a thumbs up from me.

Optimus Bone 69
05-25-2013, 09:30 PM
only guy left now that could make me mark out like a wee girl for a title win
could have been and should have been a multi time world champ

Mr. Nerfect
05-26-2013, 08:48 PM
I actually had no clue that Regal may not have known. That really sucks for him then. I was loving his 2008 shtick.

William Regal vs. Curtis Axel is actually probably a very believable "get out the gate" feud for the developing Axel. Regal and Heyman cutting promos at each other would be pretty good stuff. I also loved Regal's little arrangement with Sheamus where he seemed to be mentoring the World Heavyweight Champion. There's no reason they can't do Sheamus & William Regal vs. Rhodes Scholars as a mid-card tag feud. Some of that promo work could be really good, too.

Mr. Nerfect
05-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Or they could even re-hash the "Evil Regal GM" storyline. Have Regal announced as the new General Manager of RAW, much to Vickie Guerrero's chagrin. Regal jumping ahead of Vickie to become official GM could be a pretty fun TV segment. The commentators bring up that Regal was a former RAW GM, but he got fired from the position for growing crazy with power.

"I'm not that villain anymore." - Regal

JBL constantly reminds us that Regal is one of the toughest men this business has ever seen and the greatest wrestler to have never been a World Champion whenever he makes a decision that shows he "gets" being the General Manager of RAW.

Before you pull the trigger and have Regal eventually make a masterful swoop for the WWE Title, you could have Regal take up the fight against crooked rogues trying to do damage to the show. Regal vs. Ambrose would make a decent US Title feud. Maybe Regal could even face a disgruntled Zack Ryder? If face GM Regal works, you might as well keep him doing that, but eventually you could have Regal come out and interrupt a John Cena promo.

"John -- you know I like you. You're a fantastic champion and a beautiful role model for all the children, yes indeed. But I received a call from some affiliates this morning and they want to see you with some competition. It's hard being the General Manager of RAW, because you have some tough decisions to make and a lot of people you keep happy. As a wrestler, I know this is not fair to you, but as a businessman I must inform you that tonight you will be defending the WWE Championship tonight...*Regal almost looks pained to say* not just once; not just twice; but against three different opponents. Tonight you'll be facing your strongest opponent; you'll be facing your biggest rival; and you'll be facing perhaps the most brilliant man in all of WWE. The first of those matches starts after the commercial break." Cena looks confused and somewhat annoyed, but accepting that the life of a WWE Champion is to fight. "Bring it on!"

The strongest opponent for Cena to face is "The World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry. Cena and Henry brawl around the ringside area, and Cena realises that he can't match strength with Henry, so he manages to outsmart and outmanoevre the big man. Cena manages to beat Henry via countout to retain the WWE Title. Cena celebrates having successfully defended the WWE Championship, but he gets attacked by an angry Henry and laid out with The World's Strongest Slam.

Cena is being tended to by medics backstage. Regal comes up concerned. "John, John -- are you alright? Such foul sportmanship by that Mark Henry, I'll see him bloody fined for this. Doctor, is he alright to compete later?" "I'm fine -- just a World's Strongest Slam from a 400lbs silverback." "Well, I'm not letting you go out there if you are not medically cleared, John. I want to hear it from the doctor." The doctor does give Cena the go-ahead.

Damien Sandow cuts a backstage interview with Renee Young where he makes fun of her intelligence and says it is about time true intelligence got rewarded in the WWE. Tonight is the night that he reaches the pinnacle and attains the WWE Championship for his mantle.

Cena heads to the ring, seemingly having shaken off the effects of The World's Strongest Slam. "Weeeellllll, it's The Big Show..." Of course Cena's "biggest rival" is the largest athlete in the world. Big Show grins as the commentators give Cena virtually no chance of retaining the WWE Championship against Big Show. Cena and Show work teh match that they normally would, and Show eventually Chokeslams Cena...but the WWE Champion kicks out! Big Show gets so frustrated and pulls down the strap, he lines up a KO Punch, but Cena ducks and hits his shoulder tackles on Show. Eventually Cena tries to get Show up for an Attitude Adjustment, but his back gives out. Show manages to hit his corner elbow move, Vader Bomb-style on Cena's back, but Cena again kicks out. Show is frustrated now. Another Chokeslam attempt is countered by Cena, who manages to get an Attitude Adjustment on Show, but the Big Show kicks out. Cole, JBL and King can't believe that neither man is going down. Eventually, a babyface that is feuding with Big Show comes out, hits Show with his finishing move behind a distracted referee and Cena manages to hit a second AA to pin Show and miraculously retain the WWE Title for the second time in one night!

Cena heads to the back and is attacked by Damien Sandow, who the commentators have been insinuating is the smartest man in all of WWE. "I'm the smartest man in WWE, and this is the proof!" They run a few more segments and do another backstage segment with Cena where he says he feels hurt. The doctor checks him over and says that he appears to be fine, just a little beaten down -- if he wants to go out there, he can. Cena doesn't make excuses, and says that he'll see Sandow out there later.

John Cena heads out for his third and final WWE Championship defense in the one night. JBL says that Cena might prove to be the greatest WWE Champion in history if he can pull off another big win. The commentators still act like it's a forgone conclusion that Damien Sandow is Cena's opponent. Jerry Lawler gets on the mic. "John, how are you feeling? This has got to be one of the toughest nights in your career." Cena says that he just wants Sandow out here -- he might be the smartest man in all of WWE, but Cena's the toughest. King says "well, you've beaten the strongest; you've beaten the biggest; here's the smartest..."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sw2rPDYUdfY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

William Regal heads to the ring with one of his devilish robes and a smirk on his face as the announcers realise how we have all been duped by the most cunning man in all of WWE. "Once a villain, always a villain! I love it!" - JBL. Cena has a look on his face of, well, almost of admiration at the strategy Regal has taken towards ensuring that what might be his last shot at the WWE Title is under his circumstances. Regal and Cena go back and forth with some blows, but eventually Regal's fiendish tendencies allow him to take control of the match. They fight outside the ring, and Regal hits Cena with an exploder suplex on the floor. Regal hits Cena with a Knee Trembler outside, and the medics come to check on Cena and suspend the countout. Cena is responsive, so Regal jumps right on Cena with a vicious attack. He rolls him back into the ring and wears out Cena with some close near falls. Regal tries to lock in the Regal Stretch, but Cena manages to avoid that move like the plague. Regal gets some more heelish corner offense in, but Cena fights back and then goes to the top rope. "One last burst from Cena!" - Cole. Regal pretends to trip and shoves the referee into the ropes, crotching Cena on top. A butterfly superplex off the top rope only gets two for an angry Regal. The Master Tormenter gets to his feet and then measures up Cena for another Knee Trembler. Regal pulls his knee pad down, however, and then drills Cena right in the temple with one. Regal then applies the Regal Stretch and the referee checkes Cena. He is unresponsive, so he calls for the bell and awards Regal the match as a result of a submission.

"Here is your winner, and the NEW WWE Champion...William Regal!" The new champion celebrates a lifetime of hard work and passion coming to realisation, as Cole and King criticise the quality of his win. "It doesn't matter! Regal is the champion! He's finally achieved his dream! He outsmarted Cena and he just beat the greatest WWE Champion of all-time!" - JBL.

The next week on RAW, Regal comes out and delivers his commencement speech as WWE Champion. It is announced prior to the show that the arena has been on lockdown, and that many WWE officials haven't been granted access to the arena. He talks about how the greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he doesn't exist. "An even greater trick is that for a while I had forgotten that I exist. But the devil has reclaimed his throne." Regal suspects that his position as General Manager will be taken from him, but he has managed to avoid all phone calls, he hasn't checked his emails and he had already arranged for RAW to be locked down with heightened security. Even if it is just for one more night, he is still the General Manager on Monday Night RAW.

Regal then forces Cena to compete in his rematch that night, and it will be a match that favours Regal. He grew up fighting, and it's the only thing he's ever been good at. It'll be William Regal vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship...in a Street Fight. In that match, Rhodes Scholars interfere and help Regal pin Cena to retain the WWE Title. Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow have aligned with the WWE Champion, and become what Regal and Finlay once were to Booker T.

el bobbo
05-27-2013, 01:33 AM
I bet his contract is much better than most of the roster's He's probably listed as a "corporate" "special" employee because of all of the training he does with brand new talent. That is a skill that you can't exactly throw out on Monster.com or something.

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Posted this in the "Moments" thread, but I'm gonna leave it here too. Regal's awesomeness is relevant.

The other one is when Eugene was in that program with Triple H. HHH finally showed his true colors and beat the holy hell out of Eugene. Then Regal comes out and cuts probably one of the greatest promos I've ever heard. He referenced their time together in WCW, and it just slowly built. Getting more intense. More emotional. Regal finally admits he cares for Eugene, and then screaming, challenges Triple H to a fight, and yells some incredible line like "AND I WILL FIGHT YOU WITH EVERY OUNCE OF VENOM IN MY BODY!"

Reason I can't remember it is because that great promo led to a 2 minute squash match, and now no one remebers anything about it. I've seriously been searching years for that promo, and I've never found it. That's the moment that sold me on Regal being more than a midcarder.

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 02:26 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O5oQ3dkC5xI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah he's definitely a bit out of shape there and slower, but not so bad that couple months of hitting the gym hard can't fix.

But damn, that great psychology. I'm like "Why is he working the fingers? Who does that?" And then later, Ohno can't lock in his submission finisher strongly enough, because his fingers are all fucked up. Brilliant.

I don't like the personality of NXT Regal. Too soft, too humble. Just because he's a face, doesn't mean that he has to lose that edge, and sharpness that his voice carried before. Sounds completely out of character.

Fignuts
05-27-2013, 03:34 AM
Vastardikai, if you ever rep me with anything that horrifically awful again, I will find you and I will hurt you.

mike adamle
05-27-2013, 10:54 AM
I just think it sucks they had to suspend him because he had an accident and urinated himself in the middle of the ring. I mean fuck the owner of the company got to piss himself in the middle of the ring once.

Vastardikai
05-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Vastardikai, if you ever rep me with anything that horrifically awful again, I will find you and I will hurt you.

I realized how lame it was right AFTER I hit the button. :nono:

Mr. Nerfect
05-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Posted this in the "Moments" thread, but I'm gonna leave it here too. Regal's awesomeness is relevant.

That promo was fucking amazing. Just watching Triple H react through it, too. Regal, as a wrestler, works so well as a heel, but this babyface promo was just incredible.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lcb8RoxQPD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some of his stuff on NXT before it moved to FSU was great, too. When Jacob Novak and JTG took issue with Regal's constructive criticisms of them on commentary and Billy just sat there quietly for a little bit, trying to swallow his pride for the sake of his job as Mathews carried the bulk of the work for a segment. Regal at one point used a line like "The last thing he wants is for me to go in there and turn him into a bloody vegetable!" I can only find the recap of the feud, but you can kind of tell by Regal's expressions and such the character he played. A naughty kid trying to be good for once in his life that just gets pushed too much and accepts his true nature.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2oB5EQr4Rc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's stuff like that which makes Regal such a potential valuable on-air character for them. He does great stuff in the current NXT, too. On the most recent edition that aired he referred to himself as "semi-semi-retired," so I do hope there is far more Regal greatness coming in the future.

Fignuts
05-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Feel like Regal managing Cesaro is a no brainer. Feel like management is sour on him because he doesn't have much to offer from a personality standpoint. And they're right. he's not terrible, and it is really the only weak point he has, but it's there.

Put him with Regal. Makes sense since Cesaro is playing the snooty foreigner, and Regal made a career out of it. Regal can do most of the talking, and meanwhile Cesaro can learn from him and eventually get strong enough on the stick to go out on his own.

Mr. Nerfect
06-04-2013, 01:17 AM
As far as Antonio Cesaro goes, I actually wouldn't mind it if he took offence to not being the latest Paul Heyman Guy, and if he makes issue with Curtis Axel and aims to prove that he is better than him. I've seen it suggested that Axel refer to himself as "Better Than Perfect," but Cesaro could use that moniker himself. As a babyface who just happens to be Swiss and uppercuts the shit out of bad guys, Cesaro might overcome that "boring" obstacle. Give him a new valet and have him be a complete gentleman to her. He could be revealed as Kaitlyn's secret admirer even.

James Steele
06-04-2013, 10:13 AM
I'd love William Regal to have the gimmick of a broken old man who has become "revitalized" by getting some ass from Kaitlyn.

voncouch
06-10-2013, 01:50 PM
I'd say put him with Cesaro. WWE has nothing for him anyway, maybe with Regal in his corner he can bring up the heat. Put him in the ring for an occasional tag team or grudge match since he can still go. They both have that foreign thing going and they have very similar styles.

The more I type, the more I like this idea

DAMN iNATOR
06-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I'd say put him with Cesaro. WWE has nothing for him anyway, maybe with Regal in his corner he can bring up the heat. Put him in the ring for an occasional tag team or grudge match since he can still go. They both have that foreign thing going and they have very similar styles.

The more I type, the more I like this idea

Could work, actually. Still dunno if Cesaro will ever elevate to main event status but it'd be a definite start in the right direction.

Vastardikai
06-10-2013, 04:19 PM
I think Cesaro would probably work perfectly as a upper midcard guy that occasionally fills the role of Main Eventer for a storyline or two.

Rammsteinmad
06-10-2013, 05:40 PM
As much as I love Regal, teaming Cesaro with him would be similar to teaming Sean O'Haire with Roddy Piper.

Mr. Nerfect
06-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Why do you think that? William Regal made Ezekiel Jackson mean the most he's ever meant.

Mr. Nerfect
06-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I actually think a face turn for Cesaro would do him some good, provided that he can actually get over. No one really cares about a foreign heel in today's day and age. Cesaro needs something else. Make him a badass babyface and people might actually start to invest in him.

scatterbrain28
08-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I mean yeah, he's been irrelevant for a long time, but how many guys have they taken from jobbing on heat to the main event in a matter of weeks? With
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4983554689270379&pid=15.1http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4514703253440633&pid=15.1

Mr. Nerfect
08-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I was wondering the other day if there will ever be a "moment" for William Regal in the future, if not a major title run.