PDA

View Full Version : What makes Alberto Del Rio a face?

Rollermacka
05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Hmm, somebody asked me a good question earlier today..... what makes Alberto Del Rio a face? So as a heel, he was a super rich Mexican Aristocrat with a man servant. Now that he's a face, he's a super rich Mexican Aristocrat with a man servant but since he doesn't drive his car to the ring he's a face?

Lock Jaw
05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Ricardo is his "friend" now, and he is now a "man of the people" who had fought hard to earn everything.

OverTaker
05-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Weed The People

Edit: Jack Swagger

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
05-28-2013, 02:19 AM
The same things that make The Miz a face.

Having no likeable qualites, and shameless barely-effective pandering.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 02:50 AM
It's simple. He thwarts other douchebag heels as opposed to being the douchebag who fucks over faces.

And the fact that he actually wins matches over the douchebag heels while being entertaining makes him a good face.

Bad News Gertner
05-28-2013, 03:48 AM
What made Eddie Guerrero a face? He'd cheat during matches, steal, lie. Faces do a lot of heelish things.Rey Mysterio was the king of that.

Fignuts
05-28-2013, 03:53 AM
Del Rio is as blanda face as I've ever seen. Some people were born to be heel.

Fignuts
05-28-2013, 03:55 AM
I take that back. Alex Riley was the worst. Seriously, how did that boring piece of uselessness ever get such a big following on here?

Calling him vanilla would be an insult to vanilla.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 03:58 AM
I love ADR as a face. I'm a sucker for an old school, smiley, tell the fans how much you love them babyface.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 03:59 AM
I'm glad you're on my side about Alex Riley though. Fuck Alex Riley. Useless.

Fignuts
05-28-2013, 04:03 AM
I love ADR as a face. I'm a sucker for an old school, smiley, tell the fans how much you love them babyface.

He was such a bastard before that, though. And it was not a very gradual change. Obviously you suspend your disbelief a great deal watching wrestling, but there are limits. Del Rio's turn crossed it for me.

Skippord
05-28-2013, 04:07 AM
Del Rio's pretty bland either way, which is weird because those Latinos are usually so spicy

#deadinside

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 04:10 AM
Every face turn requires you to believe that the guy just kinda stopped being a bastard and changed his ways though. I don't think ADR's was any more of a stretch than anyone else's.

If I could think of any good recent face turns, I'd give examples...

Bad News Gertner
05-28-2013, 04:14 AM
You know what's odd. Riley still gets a decent pop on Superstars when he wrestles once every 3 months.

Fignuts
05-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Well yeah, it's certainly not the first face turn that's happened suddenly, but I still feel that the gradual changes are far superior. Batista's for example.

Sudden changes are great for heels, but I feel a face turn is so much better when you can see it building, and you're waiting for that one moment when the guy truly becomes a hero.

Bad News Gertner
05-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Every face turn requires you to believe that the guy just kinda stopped being a bastard and changed his ways though. I don't think ADR's was any more of a stretch than anyone else's.

If I could think of any good recent face turns, I'd give examples...

Daniel Bryan and Kane

Fignuts
05-28-2013, 04:17 AM
You know what's odd. Riley still gets a decent pop on Superstars when he wrestles once every 3 months.

Probably just for the entrance theme. I will admit his theme is kinda rad. The intro to it, anyway. The rest is just a generic shitty rock song like so many others nowadays.

Remember when having actual song lyrics in an entrance theme meant soomething? Remember when most entrance themes weren't forgettable garbage?

Bad News Gertner
05-28-2013, 04:22 AM
Yeah, I do love Alex Riley's theme. Whatever it is, he still gets a decent pop.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Daniel Bryan and Kane

Those were so subtle I forgot they turned face.

But yes... both of them were pretty huge assholes as heels and are now pretty over as faces.

Bad News Gertner
05-28-2013, 04:24 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uui5h2QnFTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He definitely had the crowd behind him.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 04:45 AM
He was put in a good position with The Miz.

Unfortunately he's very awkward at everything he does.

The CHT
05-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Alex Riley gargles donkey balls. This thread is the most attention he's gotten from fans in probably a year and it's still more than he deserves. He has a cool theme, which is sad because no one hears it since when he does wrassle, it's on the C & D shows.

The CHT
05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Swagger and Coulter did more for Del Rio as a face than anything ADR does on the microphone or in the ring. Del Rio in general is a snoozefest for me. After his debut, the snobby rich Mexican who armbars people got old.

Plus, name a Mexican who comes to the United States with money? Totally unbelievable.

Vastardikai
05-28-2013, 10:09 AM
WWE has a lucrative Hispanic market. So it's natural for them to want to have a Hispanic babyface the crowd can relate to. The problem is:

1. Eddie is dead.
2. Rey Misterio is always injured
3. Sin Cara Sucks
4. Nobody would buy Hunico or Camacho.

So ADR is the guy by default.

Keith
05-28-2013, 02:59 PM
ADR is a face because Rey Mysterio is injured all the time and Sin Cara has flopped big time, so they need a face latino in order to appeal to the spanish market.

ADR is now a guy who fights and claws his way through, which is not bad.

Hell, I think that only Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are better in-ring performers than Del Rio. The guy is very solid.

voncouch
05-28-2013, 04:49 PM
People chant Si, so that must mean he's over

Wishbone
05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Del Rio is an amazing face IMO. His turn was pretty stupid yet he somehow has made it work and has the crowd pretty into him everywhere they go. If that's not succeeding at being a face I don't know what is.

Curd
05-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Identifying with Del Rio is wish fulfillment because the fans feel like they're sharing in Del Rio's wealth for the time he's in front of them. And yet, the fans tend to dislike wealthier people because the rich call the shots in terms of jobs offered, political deals brokered, etc. It is similar to how fans identified with Stone Cold but wouldn't actually enjoy being cussed out and stunnered in real life.

Ruien
05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Pretty sure he is qualified as a face because the crowd cheers for him. He says nice things and makes people feel cozy inside their little hearts.

Emperor Smeat
05-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Was a really random face turn to begin with considering it happened out of no where and just suddenly dropped everything associated with his heel character (most was never explained why).

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Legit face turns are a thing of the past. Del Rio, The Miz, Kane, Daniel Bryan.

We don't get awesome "moments" to get a crowd on someone's side anymore. It sucks.

Lock Jaw
05-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Last "legit" face turn in the sense #1-wwf-fan is thinking was probably.... Alex Riley!

Which turned out great!

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 08:54 PM
It was a pretty great moment.

Until the moment wore off and we were just left with Alex Riley on our TVs a lot. Never a good thing.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
I actually liked Christian's face turn when he chose to face Cody instead of Santino.

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Actually, Sheamus' face turn when he stood up to Mark Henry during his path of destruction was cool too.

Not a huge, eventful turn like Riley's. It was a moment though.

Lock Jaw
05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
What makes Alberto Del Rio a face?

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2013/04/stonecutters.jpg

WE DO

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 09:58 PM
What makes ADR a face
What keeps Heath Slater in his place

We doooo

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Who reunited Rhodes Scholars
Who pays Bo Dallas real dollars

We do. We dooooo!

#1-norm-fan
05-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Who makes Hennig's son a star
Who plants weed in Swagger's car

We doooo

Skippord
05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
don't remind me that Bo Dallas is paid money to wrestle, you son of a bitch

Shisen Kopf
05-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Of the River will always be a heel to me, dammit!

Curd
05-30-2013, 01:42 AM
don't remind me that Bo Dallas is paid money to wrestle, you son of a bitch

And he is NXT Champion! :)

#1-norm-fan
05-30-2013, 02:48 AM
lol NXT

Anybody Thrilla
05-30-2013, 01:12 PM
What's with the bucket with the Mexican flag?

Lock Jaw
05-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Ricardo once used it to throw confetti on The Big Show or something during ADR's title win celebration, and then he just started to always bring out the bucket.

I am still confused by the presence of the bucket.

Anybody Thrilla
05-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Ricardo himself referred to it as a spit bucket on Main Event last night. Why would there be confetti in a spit bucket? Also, I don't think I've ever seen Del Rio spit in it.

Skippord
05-30-2013, 09:13 PM
also why would a wrestler need a spit bucket?

mike adamle
05-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Alberto Del Rio turned face when he had that segment with Bret Hart at TLC (I think that's where it happened.) Then DB turned face Monday with his segment with Bret Hart. And let's not forget Stone Cold Steve Austin's epic face turn thanks to Bret.

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Del Rio hates bullies, dats why hes a face.

James Steele
06-02-2013, 04:39 AM
I thought he was a babyface because he stuck his penis into Kaitlyn's vagina on Saturday Morning Slam.

DAMN iNATOR
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
What made Eddie Guerrero a face? He'd cheat during matches, steal, lie. Faces do a lot of heelish things.Rey Mysterio was the king of that.

A little thing called charisma , mi amigo .

DAMN iNATOR
06-02-2013, 11:49 AM
also why would a wrestler need a spit bucket?

Dunno, but I remember Victoria carried one to the ring when she managed/was aligned with Kenny Dykstra (the only other remotely notable guy besides Nicky/DZ from the Spirit Squad).

Mr. Nerfect
06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Pretty much all The Spirit Squad had something to them. Well, besides Mitch. He did bang Torrie Wilson, though.

I made a thread about this a few months back. I kind of felt that Del Rio hadn't "transformed" enough. I missed certain things about him (his ring attire changing colours and the cars and pyro shower being dropped), but for the most part, he still feels like a Mexican aristocrat. Del Rio is such a natural babyface in the ring, but as a character, he's a heel. He ran over Big Show's foot with a car to get an advantage over him. He pulled out Rey Mysterio's shoulder. I feel like there needs to be more of a "moment" with Del Rio.

I do like that they put the World Heavyweight Title on Del Rio soon after his face turn. I feel that a big reason The Miz's face turn hasn't really worked is because there has been no benefit. We're meant to cheer for him now, but why? There's been absolutely no credibility to the turn. Del Rio became a hero inexplicably, sure -- but he became the World Champion with the people in his corner, so that relationship has been beneficial. Even if he just credited the people for helping him fulfil his destiny or explained that winning the World Title took a massive chip off his shoulder -- there would be some motivation for the character.

As a heel, Del Rio did show endearing qualities that could have been capitalised on. His badassery, for example. It was only a little moment, but during Kane's dominant heel run towards the end of 2010, Del Rio knocked the urn out of Paul Bearer's hands. That showed balls, and that's something that made early SmackDown run Del Rio awesome. You could buy that this guy would enter the ring with anyone and probably make them tap out.

I kind of think that Del Rio beating Ziggler and becoming World Heavyweight Champion again would not be a bad idea. It would highlight that credibility he has, and I think that is one of the most marketable things about Del Rio. Little things I would tweak:

* Ricardo Rodriguez is great. He's funny and he's likeable. But he was likeable when he was a slimy ring announcer somehow. Maybe Ricardo should still show that arrogant flare he showed when he would interrupt top babyfaces as they were talking and tell them to "shut up" before introducing Del Rio? Give heels a reason to want to punch Ricardo, and that would give Del Rio a reason to protect his friend.

* Del Rio should change his ring attire. He's got a new logo for his t-shirts. Put that onto his trunks. The Mexican-flag coloured attire is pretty hammy. Put Del Rio in black with his logo and he might look less like he is trying to suck up.

* Consider paying a Spanish-speaking band to perform theme music for him. His theme isn't terrible, but it still reeks of the old Del Rio -- the aristocrat. Give him an epic theme that gets people pumped just to hear it. Also, if he is rich, shouldn't he be able to pay to have whatever music he wants?

* The Cross Armbreaker is a good finish, but I think Del Rio could use a finisher that could result in a pinfall. He's done a moonsault a few times, but I kind of feel like that's not "high impact" enough. It could end a few matches here and there, but something like a Superkick would be brilliant if Del Rio didn't use vicious kicks every match. I kind of miss the days when a few wrestlers would use the same finisher, because it could lead to rivalries and discussions as to who did the move better. How about Del Rio uses a Codebreaker? He essentially performs the move to his opponent's back, so why not aim it at their front and in a way where his often larger opponents don't land with their weight directly on him? He could also channel a Hispanic icon in Eddie Guerrero and perform a Frog Splash in certain situations. Or he could bust out some beautiful rolling German suplexes and just bombard his opponents with them.

* He could use a feud with a proper heel. Not just a rivalry or a feud with a character that could really be feuding with anyone that's not American. Say a feud with CM Punk, with Punk reminding Del Rio that he beat him for the WWE Championship and he will now beat him for the World Heavyweight Title. Or perhaps this rivalry with Dolph Ziggler could become more intense?