PDA

View Full Version : Do you like "found footage" movies?

Savio
06-10-2013, 09:40 AM
I can't stand em, It worked for the original Paranormal Activity, but ever movie after that has been shitty IMO. I saw Chronicle last month and was wondering the whole movie "Why are they filming it this way?" The movie would have been much better without that gimmick.

How do you feel about them?

Corporate CockSnogger
06-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I loved Cloverfield

The Rogerer
06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I enjoyed the first Blair Witch. I haven't seen anything else that's come close. There was a cheap TV movie called 'The McCartney tapes' or something that was really bad and yet was convincing in little bursts for being low budget and torchlit.

Hammy acting/characters, unrealistic technical aspects like ludicrously high quality cameras and fake 'static' on digital recordings (Cloverfield ended with the film being 'taped over' other footage which is an archaic concept that younger viewers might not even understand).

If my camcorder constantly had a white border and a flashing red light that said REC on all my videos, I'd take it back to Currys.

CSL
06-10-2013, 10:30 AM
really liked Blair Witch, Cloverfield, Chronicle and End of Watch, haven't bothered with horror films in general since I was about 15 so couldn't tell you about Paranormal Activity etc. So a pretty resounding "yeah" I guess.

Rammsteinmad
06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
V/H/S was pretty good.

Lock Jaw
06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Can't remember ever watching any

Miotch
06-10-2013, 08:25 PM
End of Watch was brilliant, and they did a pretty interesting take in Chronicle with the steadying of the camera, but generally I find them shit.

mitch_h
06-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I like the films of this British director named Peter Watkins who did pseudo-documentaries in the 60s and 70s. But I haven't liked any of these types of movies that have come out in the past couple years.

Skippord
06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Cloverfield and Chronicle are good, I'm sure End of Watch is too

otherwise they're all huge pieces of shit.

Savio
06-10-2013, 09:20 PM
I think Chronicle would have been better with out that gimmick

Skippord
06-10-2013, 09:21 PM
also if the ending weren't retarded

Kane Knight
06-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Sparingly.

Vastardikai
06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Troll Hunter was epic.

It's also one of the very few movies that has awesome CGI.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TLEo7H9tqSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disturbed316
06-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Hit and miss for me personally. Loved Blair Witch and Cloverfield. I enjoyed Chronicle and Diary of the Dead too, but you're right, you do wonder why they continue to film this stuff instead of getting the hell out of there.

Kalyx triaD
06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm a big fan of Found Footage films and I pretty much watch all of them, even when they're shit (I sat through Grave Encounters 1.... and part 2). Even since Blaire Witch I was just fascinated with the style. I wish people would branch out instead defaulting to horror, though.

And on that, I'm excited for VHS 2.

XCaliber
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
For the most part no but I enjoyed Cloverfield but even then I would have preferred that it wasn't for some of the sequences.

Tazz Dan
06-12-2013, 03:11 AM
Savior, how did you feel about it in Chronicle?

Savio
06-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Savior, how did you feel about it in Chronicle?
I remember scenes where I was thinking, why is this being filmed on someones camera right now. One scene I did not like was when the antagonist broke the glass of the tower and had all the cell phones around him. I understand he is a film buff, but I think if I was in his situation I would focus on saving my energy to whoop the protagonists ass, He knew he was being recorded inside the tower, I doubt he thought he was going to sit down with all the iPhones later and make a cool youtube video.

But one scene that annoyed me more was the final scene when someone is just zooming in on the protagonists face the whole time, not looking over at the bad guy not filming any action just a constant video on the protagonists face. When I record something I try to record what ever has the most action I can see.

Also I think found footage movies should be believable where one (dumb) person could say "Whoa did that really happen?" No one would say that about this movie. Although I think it worked for cloverfield because a big part of the movie was not seeing the monster.

I think the found footage gimmick hurt Chronicle more than it helped

Kalyx triaD
06-12-2013, 05:50 PM
I agree Chronicle didn't need the camera gimmicks. When people complained that Cloverfield should have been shot normally, they were missing the fucking point. But Chronicle wasn't really using the effect to positive outcome. Just seemed awkward at times.