PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea for Kassius Ohno

Mr. Nerfect
06-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I often think about the possibility of a wrestler doing this, but I can't think of too many guys that I think the company could trust being thrust into this position of importance. It would require a Superstar that is fairly well developed, competent on the mic, solid enough in the ring and probably well-liked and mature enough to handle the position of being a top star almost instantly.

Basically, I wish to start a discussion about whether or not Kassius Ohno winning the World Heavyweight Championship in his debut match would be a terrible decision for the company to make. Keep in mind that I am talking about the World Heavyweight Championship, which has seemingly settled into the status of being a World Championship only in name, and that in stature, is more like the Intercontinental Championship of old.

I like Ohno as a talent. Something is missing from the guy, however. He's so comfortable that it's hard to imagine him climbing the ranks. He seems like the sort of talent that if you put into a mid-card role, you'll have yourself a good mid-card wrestler. If you put him into a tag team role, you'll have yourself a good tag team wrestler. If the WWE wants to make the most out of Kassius Ohno, should they instantly insert him into the main event and make him a good main event wrestler?

The WWE is getting better at introducing new talent from NXT. The Shield have been dominant and have all established themselves as being stars of the show, despite being saddled with mid-card titles. The Wyatt Family seem to be coming in with a bit of fanfare. Curtis Axel has been repacked and seems to be sticking. Fandango has worked far better than most thought he would. The WWE has seemingly worked out the formula to making acts they want to succeed do so.

What would winning a World Title in their first match do for a talent? It'd give them a constant accomplishment to brag about. Chris Jericho still talks about how he beat The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin in the same night. As long as Ohno was wrestling, he'd be the guy who won the World Heavyweight Championship in his first match on the main roster. If they ever wanted to insert Ohno into a main event program after that, they have plenty of fuel for it. If he doesn't catch on, it could be labelled a "fluke" and then Ohno could be settled into a firm mid-card role with the added bonus of being a "former World Champion."

Some talent would not be ready for such a thing. Even guys that have crafted their act on the indies often aren't "heavy" enough to pull it off. Giving it to a younger guy may cause resentment. Ohno has been wrestling since 1998. That's longer than John Cena. Ohno has received training by Les Thatcher (whose HWA was once a WWE developmental territory), Dory Funk, Jr. (who has helped trained some of the WWE's biggest stars), Tracy Smothers (who wrestled a fucking bear), The British Blue Bloods (two of whom work for the WWE and help develop talent in different ways) and even has some experience with lucha libre and faster-paced matches. Ohno is also 34 years old this year, which means that we're not talking about a young man. We're talking about an adult and someone who, if they are going to mean something in the industry, probably has a smaller window than, say, a Dean Ambrose in which to achieve it (Ohno is seven years Ambrose's senior).

Ohno is a unique talent for the WWE, in that he has years and years of experience, maturity and an understanding of the business under his belt. If anyone were to be trusted to win a World Title in their very first match with the WWE, it would almost have to be someone like Kassius Ohno. With other talent, you run the risk of them being too green, or turning out to have attitude problems.

If the title change happened on SmackDown, it also creates a "moment." Professional wrestling is built on moments, and a wrestler winning the World Title in their first main roster matches would create quite a stir, I imagine. Fans would be asking "Who the fuck is that?" and if they had watched NXT would say "I've seen him wrestle!" WWE.com could report the story ahead of time and the WWE could see if they could cause a boost in the rating.

From a merchandising standpoint, Ohno stands to make the WWE more money than he otherwise would by popularizing a catchphrase like "Seize the moment" or "One shot. Took it." and just slapping it on a t-shirt. These themes could become associated with Ohno for years to come.

It would also be surreal for fans who only watch RAW to see this guy they have never seen before come out with the World Heavyweight Championship. That would create a stir and get people clinging onto Ohno's every word and action -- a pressure under which I think he could thrive. And, as I said, if he doesn't -- you just take the title off him and have him move on to other things whilst always being the guy who had that moment.

How does this all go down? Maybe an arrogant Dolph Ziggler has beaten Alberto Del Rio at Payback and has had Big E. Langston take him out before he's scheduled to challenge for the title again. Ziggler gets in the ring and the referee does the old ten count spot and Del Rio forfeits the match. Ziggler runs his mouth a bit about how Del Rio is afraid of him and he asks if there is anybody in the back who isn't afraid of him. Ohno's music then hits and Kassius makes his WWE debut. Ziggler asks who the hell he is and Ohno introduces himself and says that he'll regret it if he doesn't take this opportunity to make an immediate impact. He's not scared of Dolph, or Big E. Langston, or...well, he's a little scared of AJ Lee. But the point is he's not scared of Dolph Ziggler, and in fact, he thinks he can beat Ziggler. Dolph asks Kassius if he is insane and Ohno says "Maybe. How about you find out?" Dolph says he's going to take Ohno to wrestling school tonight and that he looks like a hobo. Ohno asks Ziggler that if he's do confident, how about he puts the World Heavyweight Title on the line. Dolph says "Fine. I can defend it twice because I'm that good."

Ohno and Ziggler have the match you'd expect them to have, with Ohno surprisingly everybody with his wrestling ability. Ziggler manages to heel the advantage away from Ohno and then beats on him. He can't beat Ohno away, however, and Kassius even makes a bit of a comeback. JBL and Cole talk about how impressive this debut has been, but they don't really put much stock in Ohno's chances of actually sealing the deal. Langston trips Ohno at one point so Ohno leaves the ring and knocks Langston out with whatever they want to call one of his elbow variants. Langston sells it like a gun shot. AJ Lee shrieks in terror as Ziggler is also shocked. Ohno gets back in the ring and he looks good for a bit, but Ziggler manages to turn things around. Ohno kicks out of the Fame Asser to Ziggler's frustration. A Sleeper Hold is applied by Dolph, and Ohno is fading fast, but with one last move he manages to run Ziggler into the turnbuckle, breaking the hold and sending Ziggler back. Ohno then unloads a second elbow on Dolph, and knocks the champ out cold. 1-2-3. Ohno has beaten the champion!

Kassius celebrates with the World Heavyweight Championship as AJ is distraught since both Ziggler and Langston have been knocked out cold. JBL and Cole point out of the historical significance as SmackDown goes off the air.

On RAW, Ohno comes out in a suit with the World Title all polished. He introduces himself and tells us all how he made history. Ziggler then comes out and calls it a fluke and a disgrace and no officiating body actually sanctioned the match. Ohno tells Ziggler to stop making excuses and just accept that he got played, put the title on the line and lost. Ohno then adds "You might steal the show, but I took your title."

There are obviously matches with Dolph Ziggler to be had, but also with Langston. You can have Alberto Del Rio re-enter the mix as well, since he lost his shot because of a Langston attack. Ohno & Del Rio vs. Ziggler & Langston would make a decent SmackDown main event. You can have Ohno team up with John Cena to face whoever Cena is feuding with and Ziggler. You have the battle of elbows against Wade Barrett, which would be a fun television title match. Big Show could come back and it's the man who won the WCW Title in his first match vs. the man who won the World Heavyweight Championship in his first match; KO Punch vs. KO Elbow. You can have Orton vs. Ohno; youngest World Heavyweight Champion vs. only man to win it in his first match; RKO vs. KO.

And if Ohno doesn't work as a babyface, you just have him become a slimy heel champion and master manipulator. Maybe even have the gold lure AJ Lee away from Ziggler's corner, and you turn Dolph face to chase to Ohno -- the man who stole his title and his girlfriend.

Skippord
06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
I read the part where Kassius Ohno wins the World Title, I am on board.

I will also read the rest once I'm able to focus.

Bad News Gertner
06-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Kassius Ohno is on level with Curtis Axel in terms of blandness. He's also flabby and so boring in the ring.

Skippord
06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
"Hi I'm Gertner, I only like garbage"

ron the dial
06-10-2013, 10:48 PM
garbage and puke and turds

Bad News Gertner
06-10-2013, 10:55 PM
RYBACK RULES!

Rollermacka
06-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I got a crazier idea for Kassius Ohno. They give him the gimmick that he was lost as an infant in the woods and was raised by a pack of rabbits until he was 23. He was found by Vince McMahon on a routine hunting trip to Big Bear, and has spent the last 10 years learning how to be a professional wrestler.
Man Rabbit = Ratings :yes:

Bad News Gertner
06-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I watch NXT every week. Ohno's matches are sooooo boring. He's not good on the mic and his stomach looks like Matt Hardy's.

Bad News Gertner
06-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I got a crazier idea for Kassius Ohno. They give him the gimmick that he was lost as an infant in the woods and was raised by a pack of rabbits until he was 23. He was found by Vince McMahon on a routine hunting trip to Big Bear, and has spent the last 10 years learning how to be a professional wrestler.
Man Rabbit = Ratings :yes:

Bam. Love it.

Skippord
06-10-2013, 11:02 PM
I also watch NXT every week, and Ohno's matches are soooo much better than anything Ryback has ever done in his life

Bad News Gertner
06-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Lol Ohno will never see the main roster

Wishbone
06-11-2013, 12:04 AM
Lol Ohno will never see the main roster

Just like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose will never see the main roster?... Oh wait.

Juan
06-11-2013, 12:06 AM
I also watch NXT every week, and Ohno's matches are soooo much better than anything Ryback has ever done in his life

Nailed it.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Just like Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose will never see the main roster?... Oh wait.

When have I ever said that?

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Nailed it.

That's a lie.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Kassius Ohno is on level with Curtis Axel in terms of blandness. He's also flabby and so boring in the ring.

Was actually looking forward to what you think, Gertner. I know you don't like Ohno, but I thought you may have taken an objective approach to using him to the best of his ability. You actually don't think he will see the main roster?

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:27 AM
His matches do zero for me. Perhaps if he changed his finisher. His cravat(sp) finisher looks retarded and he does not have to build to be a believable "ko" guy with his elbow. He has zero muscle definition. He honestly looks like Mike Knox if Knox were to develop intestinal worms and lose 100 pounds. His promos are just meh. It's not like Cesaro where there's something there. Out of the ROH guys Ohno is at the bottom of my list.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:28 AM
http://ringsidenews.com/file/pic/photo/2012/02/6366fa1a5ca3760736335dc87a4dad81_1024.jpg

He has the body of my Uncle Jimmy

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Ohno reminds me of a wrestling Jesus.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:30 AM
I don't know -- I don't think every guy needs to be ripped as hell. The dude is in tremendous shape and he looks "different" and "real." I don't find his lack of definition to be a draw back.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Even Daniel Bryan is pretty put together. Ohno just looks like a slob with a boring moveset.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:34 AM
I love how Ohno moves in the ring. How he runs up the corner and rolls around. Don't find him boring, to be honest. :-\

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:36 AM
I was excited when he debuted because I did enjoy the KofW.

His moveset is just so God damn boring. Just bleh. A new finisher would raise my interest.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:37 AM
There we go, a constructive thought from Gertner on the topic. :y:

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:38 AM
I would prefer it if Ohno used a roaring elbow instead of a regular one. I think it would "add impact" that could play more into Ohno's size.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:39 AM
I always liked The Rat Trap when Stevie Richards did it. Ohno bringing that back as a new version of The Kassius Klutch could be interesting. It was basically a full nelson applied in a camel clutch position.

Skippord
06-11-2013, 02:41 AM
I would enjoy seeing him use the lifting Hero's Welcome I've seen him do one time and thought was badass

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:43 AM
I'd be for that, but with Rhodes using Cross Rhodes, I doubt they would. I'd be all for him using it as a finishing move or something, though. Call it "The Ohno Tornado."

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:45 AM
I would prefer it if Ohno used a roaring elbow instead of a regular one. I think it would "add impact" that could play more into Ohno's size.

Barrett does a better elbow.

You know what submission move I miss that Ohno could bring back? Barry Darsow's "Barely Legal".

That move just looked painful as fuck.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Just fast forward to the end.

"spoiler" Darsow wins

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JWyCQ8u9jkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:48 AM
I guess they could give him that.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:49 AM
I just want to see that move again lol

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 02:49 AM
Comes down to the dude selling it to make it look good, though.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Pretty basic to sell. Just scream in agony.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Dragon Sleeper into a bodyscissors is another finisher I would like to see back. Ohno is lanky enough to pull that off.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 03:13 AM
A Dragon Sleeper would be a good choice for Ohno, actually.

Fignuts
06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm with Gertner, that he has an awful look. I understand that not every guy has to be ripped, but they shouldn't have love handles either.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Have you soon Ohno work, Fignuts? I really think the dude's look is part of his charm.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
No more excuses for guys just because they wrestled in ROH. It's not at all part of his charm, it's what's holding him back.

Juan
06-11-2013, 07:57 PM
A flabby wrestler? Well, I never!

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 07:59 PM
No more excuses for guys just because they wrestled in ROH. It's not at all part of his charm, it's what's holding him back.

It's not because he's wrestled in ROH. I've actually seen very little of his ROH work. I just think that Ohno's stamina and style don't require him to be shredded or even defined.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 08:00 PM
If you're gonna be flabby then gain 200 pounds and be a fat guy. Fat wrestlers are awesome.

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 08:00 PM
What if the dude's such a badass that he can actually afford to drink beer and eat Hardees?

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I've yet to see Ohno scarve down a burger

Mr. Nerfect
06-11-2013, 09:26 PM
The new sponsorship deal with Hardees could make that happen.

Bad News Gertner
06-11-2013, 11:05 PM
If he comes out with mustard or bbq sauce on his beard then I support Ohno

Fignuts
06-12-2013, 01:42 AM
It's not because he's wrestled in ROH. I've actually seen very little of his ROH work. I just think that Ohno's stamina and style don't require him to be shredded or even defined.

To work in the ring? No. To be appealing to the mainstream audience? Yes.

I'm not saying he has to be shredded. But he just takes it a bit too far. He looks lumpy.

I've seen his work and it is great. That won't help. I'm not Gertner. I like a lot of the guts, and promotions he trashes. But even I have to nix this one. Look is important in WWE. He would have it if he hit the gym.

weather vane
06-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Or put him with Cesaro and start up a real fucking tag division?

Skippord
06-12-2013, 02:25 AM
It seems weird that anyone cares about him being a bit doughy and we're all stoked about Bray Wyatt

perhaps that speaks to how awesome Bray Wyatt is though

Mr. Nerfect
06-12-2013, 02:31 AM
It seems weird that anyone cares about him being a bit doughy and we're all stoked about Bray Wyatt

Awesome point.

Skippord
06-12-2013, 02:41 AM
this seems like as good a time as any to point out how weird Alberto Del Rio's body is

http://www.wrestleenigma.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/alberto-del-rio1.jpg

Bad News Gertner
06-12-2013, 02:43 AM

Wyatt is stocky. Ohno is just lanky.

Fignuts
06-12-2013, 04:11 AM

Bray Wyatt isn't doughy.

HE'S HUSKY

Bad News Gertner
06-12-2013, 04:33 AM
Home fucking run right there

Ultra Mantis
06-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Ohno has always had a terrible mismatched look, he really needs to pick something and go with it rather than trying to be all these different things at the same time.

You can't really be a cocky douchebag mma knockout artist intellectual badass lanky muffin top superhero rockstar jesus caveman and expect a mainstream audience to get it.

Hanso Amore
06-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Wyatt can be fat. Hes a big body. That works.

Ohno is skinny and soft looking. If he just leaned up he would be fine. Punk has been up and down in his body type the last few years but since he moved to the top he has leaned up and looks athletic. Ohno needs to do the same.

Husky is 300 pounds plus. That works in his favor.

Ohno is 200 soaking wet and has flab. NO THANKS.

Hanso Amore
06-12-2013, 10:48 AM
It also speaks to his dedication. Yeah the guy can work a match with a broom, but if he cant be pissed to hit the gym just a bit then fuck off. Look at guys like Sheamus. Dude has worked his ass off to get better in the ring and put together a stiff style of brawling that works for his character, and he is in amazing shape.

Muscles arent everything, but you cant expect to get over looking like Steve Corinos homeless twin.

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
From the little I see, he seems like a good worker. His look is bland though. It's like any entertainment business, you don't want painfully average looking people... it's okay if a person is big and fat like Dusty Rhodes, Yokozuna, Bam Bam Bigelow, Vader or even Brodus Clay etc. because there's a larger than life element to the character and there's a certain mystique about when you see them move quite quickly.

When you have a guy like Ohno, he just looks so plain, nothing about him stands out. I don't particularly agree with Gertner about a lot, but look IS important. Unless he's Jake the Snake Roberts and just the absolute fucking man while not having a very good physique, and his personality resonates with the masses, his look will hold him back. And as good a worker as he is, he is not Jake the Snake Roberts when it comes to charisma, and mic skills.

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
this seems like as good a time as any to point out how weird Alberto Del Rio's body is

http://www.wrestleenigma.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/alberto-del-rio1.jpg

I have always noticed this, but you chose a picture at an awful angle. Give him a fighting chance and get a more straight angle :p

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-12-2013, 11:29 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXVsc4Zt8T4UKKN5MCpZqHthuk4DAeT0madc0Sj9b3VsmCDTwl

Bad News Gertner
06-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Somehow post an entertaining Ohno match. Not a Chris Hero match. A Kassius Ohno match.

I've seen every episode of NXT, but maybe I missed something.

Fignuts
06-13-2013, 03:02 AM

Bray Wyatt isn't doughy.

HE'S HUSKY

Are you fuckers serious? Best post in the wrestling forum in years, and Gertner is the only one that gives me cred?

Fuck this noise, I'm joining team Gorm.

Skippord
06-13-2013, 03:39 AM
GREAT! We need a Scott Hall to go with Iginfest and I's Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan

#TeamGorm

Bad News Gertner
06-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Now now waterboys, we have an executive committee who determines who makes Team Gorm. Fignuts, we'll keep your application on file.

Fignuts
06-13-2013, 04:00 AM
Sorry Stevie Ray, but I'm joining the real team gorm, with Skip and Iggy.

Bad News Gertner
06-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Pshhhh, couple of wannabes. They are Lodi and Sick Boy of Team Gorm.