PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hockey positions and stuff

Y2Ant
05-14-2004, 01:14 AM
What is it that's different about playing Centre, than playing as a wing?

Is it just based on faceoff ability, or are C's and wingers different in defensive ways or something :o?

Also, I understand that if you use your right hand as your lowest hand on the stick when you have the puck, you are a right winger. Vice-versa with left. Am I correct?

Does a RW mainly cover the right side, cause i'm mad right handed, and i'd be a RW because my right is lower on the stick, but i'd find it easier to shoot from the left side of the blueline. :o

And another seperate question, what's legal and what's not when it comes to bodychecking, you can only use one hand on the stick I think, but I see people shoving guys with two hands on the stick all the time :mad:

And I get hooked all the time in NHL 2004 >: o

YOUR Hero
05-14-2004, 01:35 AM
The Center has more responsibilities offensively and defensively traditionally speaking. He would support the puck in the offensive and defensive zone in front and behind the net as well as support the wingers on their respective side. Traditionally the center men were the more creative, talented player.

Wingers job were to skate up and down their respective wing and you are correct about what is traditionally a right or left-winger. You could receive passes easier if your sticks curve was inward to the passed puck but you would have less shooting angles on the goalie. If you were good at receiving the puck pass on your backhand you would be coming in on the goalie with the puck in the center of the ice instead of the side, therefore more angles to score.

This is all the traditional theory of hockey though. Players are so much more skilled and the trap system has changed the traditional roles somewhat, but that's the jist.

Checking can be done whether you have one, two or no hands on the stick. You can’t take more than 3 strides before checking someone or else that’s charging. You can’t check from behind, you can’t raise your arm (much) as you check that becomes elbowing.

To check up on the checking rules, go to NHL.com and look under rules… I’m sure they have a link to rules and whatnot there.

da_king
05-14-2004, 10:10 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
also, in terms of checking, the player isn't allowed to leave their feet and go airborne when hitting someone.

</font>

Y2Ant
05-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Hmmm, I think I get it now. :o

I've noticed with a lot of centers though, they assist a lot more than they score (Morrison, Thornton, various others)

Do goalscorers and playmakers depend on whether they are a LW/C/RW? Or does it not really matter?

John la Rock
05-15-2004, 02:08 PM
ya most wingers are usually the goal scorers or snipers. Look at guys like Jarome Iginla, Ilya Kovulchuck and Bret Hull. Pure goal scorers. The centers usually set up the wingers for one-timers