PDA

View Full Version : Earthbound (Wii U VC)

Drakul
07-18-2013, 04:44 PM
With Earthbound being available on the Wii U VC, I thought I'd start a thread for it.

It's the first time it's been out in Europe so it's like a new release over here. So, spoilers tags for anything that's a spoiler.

It's pretty cool so far but the enemies seem a bit weird. A dog took much more to defeat than I thought they would.

Looking forward to playing more of it.

Also, that crow enemy = Kia-Ora crows from the 80's/90's.

loopydate
07-18-2013, 08:10 PM
ALMOST enough to make me want a WiiU. Earthbound is easily one of my five favorite games ever made.

Ultra Mantis
07-18-2013, 08:37 PM
I emulated this when I was about 16/17 and quit around the second town. Gave it a second chance a few years ago and it's a pretty solid RPG. Very quirky. The game is permanently tripping balls and it only gets weirder. Enjoy the ride.

Drakul
07-19-2013, 03:00 AM
ALMOST enough to make me want a WiiU. Earthbound is easily one of my five favorite games ever made.

What would make you feel you must buy a Wii U?

loopydate
07-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Don't know. The fact that they've pretty much stopped all the online support for Wii is pushing me that way, too. I'm still satisfied with my Wii and 360 though, so I'm not going to get anything for a while, anyway.

Curd
07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
I heard a *rumor* there's an Earthbound hack in which Warrior shows up and body slams Giygas when your in-game friends pray at the end. :)

road doggy dogg
07-21-2013, 01:24 PM
How is it 2013 and people haven't played Earthbound yet. DOES NOT COMPUTE. Probably best game ever made. The accompanying strategy guide that game with the game added much enjoyment to the experience of playing. Remember the scratch-n-sniff cards?!

Drakul
07-21-2013, 01:29 PM
I can't speak you the US or Japanese players but the VC release of Earthbound is its very first time being released in Europe.

That's why 99% of the European posters wont have played it, unless they used an emulator.

road doggy dogg
07-21-2013, 01:36 PM
I remember back when I was in like grade 7 and the first time I discovered what an emulator was. Probably the best/worst day of my entire life.

Emperor Smeat
07-22-2013, 04:58 PM
So far its managed to reach #2 on the "recent best sellers" list by Nintendo and was only beaten by Donkey Kong due to that game being part of the 30 cents VC promotion.
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=208065

Drakul
07-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Pretty sure this is a test to see how well it sells. If it sells well enough, they'll probably make a new one and release it worldwide.

Kane Knight
07-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Pretty sure this is a test to see how well it sells. If it sells well enough, they'll probably make a new one and release it worldwide.

One can hope.

Drakul
07-23-2013, 02:45 AM
It's happened plenty of times before with other companies. Capcom is the only name I can think off but I'm sure others have done it.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 was release on XBLA and PSN, sold well and then MvC3 was announced.

Darkstalkers was released on XBLA and PSN and, because it sold poorly, they say they wont be making a new one anytime soon, actually saying it's because the re-release didn't sell.

This may have applied to Bionic Commando. BC Rearmed sold well, we got a new BC game.

I think that's why they released Capcom vs SNK 2 on PSN and I think the same strategy is being used by Nintendo for Earthbound.

The Wii U hasn't been out a year yet and we already have a new Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Pikmin etc on their way or, in Pikmins case, already here so they'll be needing more franchises to release new games off. They'll probably be wanting to push Earthbound sometime in the future, for this reason.