PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation

DaveBrawl
09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
How's it hanging VG forum?

Quick question for you wonderful bastions of humanity. Can you all recommend me a quality single player pc game (preferably that I can d/l from Steam) about 6-8 hours long? Something along the lines of Torchlight would be mint.

Quick backstory for the specifics: My dad is having open heart surgery on the 24th of this month and that's how long the surgery is supposed to take and I figure this would be a good way to kill time and get my mind off of it.

The kicker: My laptop, despite being only 3-4 years old and having a fairly good CPU and RAM, seems to suck as far as GPU/video card goes. It will barely run Torchlight 2 on low settings if many enemies come on screen at once, I tried DC Universe only too and that was also very laggy just creating the character (got tired of the lag and quit before even trying the gameplay). It's an AMD/ATI Mobility II I believe. I'll have to confirm that later as the laptop is at home and don't quite remember the specs.

Now if you have any other suggestions for genres besides my Torchlight II idea I'm open to them as well. I've just been hooked on that game during lunch at work and noticed yesterday it didn't work at home as finishing that was my plan for the surgery. So hit me up with any ideas you may have if you will.

Hugs and kittens,
Davebrawl

DaveBrawl
09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Android games would also work I guess, but the idea of playing on my phone doesn't seem as appealing.

DaveBrawl
09-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Twas totally going to get Deadly Premonition too like the delightful Mr. Hasney always touts (and I have been putting off for way to long), alas it won't be out until the end of next month on Steam. :'(

The Destroyer
09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Not sure if it's quite what you're after, but give Gunpoint a try.

Fairly basic so it shouldn't be too demanding. Doubt it'll last you the entire time, but it's quite addictive.

Fignuts
09-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Meat Boy

Kane Knight
09-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Super Meat Boy
So much fun.

DaveBrawl
09-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Gonna look into those. Thanks guys.

Fignuts
09-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Actually now that I think about it, meat boy would be pretty damn tough without a controller. Might not be the best idea.

Honestly, since your comp isn't very powerful, the best option might be to just download an emulator and a bunch of games.

DaveBrawl
09-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Well it has played some similar games in the past very well, which is what surprised me about Torchlight. Then again I only played with the options for a few minutes so there may have been some more stuff I could have turned off to get better results.

But yeah I have a couple of controllers I could use with it but thinking about it I'll probably forget to drag one of them along knowing me.

That's a good idea, I have an SNES emulator and a bunch of games on my desktop at my parents I had forgotten about.

DaveBrawl
09-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Is Final Fantasy 7 any good? I never played it when it came out years ago, but I see it on the front page of Steam and I remember everyone creaming their pants over it everytime it's mentioned but I don't know if it's because of nostalgia or if it's that fun. I was never in to those type of RPG's growing up but I would be willing to give it a shot if it's worth it.

Fignuts
09-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Very much worth it. One of the best RPGs you can play.

Kane Knight
09-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Is Final Fantasy 7 any good? I never played it when it came out years ago, but I see it on the front page of Steam and I remember everyone creaming their pants over it everytime it's mentioned but I don't know if it's because of nostalgia or if it's that fun. I was never in to those type of RPG's growing up but I would be willing to give it a shot if it's worth it.

It's nostalgia and it's fun. I'm glad it's out for the PC now, though I already have it on my PS3/Vita, so I won't likely buy it until there's a sale. Still, good game.

Fignuts
09-14-2013, 03:14 AM
The whole materia system is probably my favorite system for magic and abilities to this day. So simple, yet allows for endless customization.

SlickyTrickyDamon
09-14-2013, 03:26 AM
Saints Row the 4th.

Star Wars the Old Republic free to play now.

DaveBrawl
09-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Rep for you all because I love you.

Kane Knight
09-14-2013, 05:45 PM
If you're in doubt about a particular game, the System Requirements Lab (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri) is a decent way to check. It's not perfect, but it beats blind guesswork.

Also, FTL is an awesome game. Which brings me to my second link:

https://www.humblebundle.com

Several titles that might be of interest to you (or not, I don't know) for 5 dollars-ish. If you don't like FTL or Fez, a dollar minimum gets you the rest as Steam redeems. It does go to charity, though, so no need to skimp out unless you are broke.

VSG
09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Def look into Fez and FTL from that humble bundle.

Kane Knight
09-16-2013, 02:45 PM
I will point out if you don't like to lose, FTL can suck. Even on Easy mode you will die a lot. Part of the fun is seeing how far you can get. That being said, I love playing it.

Never played Fex, but for a five dollar buy-in, it can't hurt....

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I will third the notion that the current humble bundle is a good idea. There are some really great games in there, that are not at all taxing on systems.

Paying only $5 for that big pile of games, you can't lose.