PDA

View Full Version : Was Evan Bourne meant to be the successor to Rey Mysterio in the WWE?

GD
10-20-2013, 03:48 PM
http://www.wwe.com/f/styles/photo_large/public/photo/image/2011/12/TLC11_Photo_031.jpg

With his arsenal of high flying moves and daredevil stunts, Evan Bourne made a name for himself on ECW. He eventually got promoted to Monday Night RAW where he got more attention from the larger viewership. He went on to win his maiden WWE Championship in the form of the WWE Tag Team title along with Kofi Kingston.

Being marketable to the target audience, Evan Bourne definitely had a bright future for him in the WWE. If it wasn't for the violations and the accident, would you see Evan Bourne eventually become the successor to Rey Mysterio's ultimate underdog character?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XKfE9SVga2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sJIDQIIk6XA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Volare
10-20-2013, 04:02 PM
I've always liked him. Figured he'd be a good IC/US champ that could draw some attention.

Evil Vito
10-20-2013, 04:41 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I like Bourne a lot but I don't think WWE ever viewed him as Rey's successor. I think the plan was always to sign a masked Mexican star to eventually take the reigns. Obviously they thought they had done that with Sin Cara but it was a flop.</font>

XL
10-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Not necessarily direct successor but there was potential for a similar story to be told. He had a lot of potential at one point on Raw.

Emperor Smeat
10-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Going to say no to both him becoming the new underdog or being the successor in general to Rey.

Doubt Bourne would ever get pushed to the level Rey was considering the WWE brought back a whole division for him and respected his WCW legacy unlike most WCW guys. Even if they did, Cena replaced Rey years ago as the top underdog for the WWE with the way they keep booking him.

The WWE also wants to keep the strong Latino market so it makes more sense Rey's real successor is a Latino or masked wrestler. Was a big reason why they signed both Del Rio and Sin Cara.

Curd
10-21-2013, 01:59 AM
Going to say no to both him becoming the new underdog or being the successor in general to Rey.

Doubt Bourne would ever get pushed to the level Rey was considering the WWE brought back a whole division for him and respected his WCW legacy unlike most WCW guys. Even if they did, Cena replaced Rey years ago as the top underdog for the WWE with the way they keep booking him.

The WWE also wants to keep the strong Latino market so it makes more sense Rey's real successor is a Latino or masked wrestler. Was a big reason why they signed both Del Rio and Sin Cara.

I second these points. :y:

Lock Jaw
10-21-2013, 02:25 AM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01056/cena_raw_100602_12_1056226a.jpg

No.

Innovator
10-21-2013, 10:38 AM
I think Samuray del Sol will take over for Rey Rey in the Latino demographic.

I wonder if Bourne knows his time is up when Adrian Nevillle was signed and did a corkscrew SSP.

Heisenberg
10-21-2013, 10:40 AM
He should dye his hair and come back as Fake Dolph Ziggler or Dolph Ziggler w/ action shooting star powers

Heisenberg
10-21-2013, 10:45 AM
I also don't see the reason why we need a replacement for Rey Mysterio. Not insulting the man, but he doesn't need to be copied and thrown down our eye sockets. He can booyaka the hell out of our storyline for all I care

parkmania
10-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Loose Cannon

GD
10-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Didn't Mason Ryan try to replace Bautista?

Asmo
10-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Favourite Evan Bourne moment:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cUeQpHvgQGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody Thrilla
10-22-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm a huge Evan Bourne fan, and I miss him.

Destor
10-24-2013, 03:37 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/179/886/SinCara1_crop_340x234.jpg?1302701419

Bad News Gertner
10-24-2013, 04:01 AM
Tried with Sin Cara, that didn't work, tried turning Del Rio face, that didn't work. The company needs a Mexcian who speaks english clearly, but you clearly identify as being Mexican. Not the easiest thing. You could barely understand Juvy, Psicosis didn't have it, haven't even heard Cara speak, and Del Rio is a phoney as a face.

GD
10-24-2013, 04:13 AM
Evan Bourne will defeat John Cena, Randy Orton, CM Punk, Brock Lesnar and The Rock in a six pack challenge to unify the WWE Championship and hte World Heavyweight Championship.

MoFo
10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
I always thought Kofi was that guy.

Not so much the Messican part, but he's kid friendly with the colorful-ness and does all the springy bouncy moves.

Very 'cartoon like'.

Mr. Nerfect
10-25-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't think Evan Bourne was meant to replace Rey Mysterio, but I feel that he was certainly there to do cool moves, be liked and sell a few t-shirts and action figures. It's a shame that the guy has been sidetracked with an injury and a suspension. I guess he could still fit into the main roster scene somewhere. It's hard for me to get excited about him though.

Mr. Nerfect
10-25-2013, 10:16 PM
The WWE has Kalisto and Hunico as potential Latino market babyfaces. I'm not sure what they plan to do with Hunico, if anything at all, given his age and such -- but the man is a tremendous talent and not horrendous on the mic. I've said it many times before, but the guy could make a great working class foil for Alberto Del Rio's aristocrat.

Bad News Gertner
10-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Hunico is back teaming with Camacho, but Hunico has a "heel look" IMO.

GD
10-26-2013, 01:26 AM
I might be the biggest supporter of Hunico on this forum. I loved his work as Sin Cara Negro. He should reprise the role and cement his legacy in sports and entertainment.

Mr. Nerfect
10-26-2013, 03:50 AM
Hunico is back teaming with Camacho, but Hunico has a "heel look" IMO.

Interesting observation. I'd still like the company to give it a go. I can't see Hunico getting much traction as a heel.

Or, and this pains me to say, because I don't like pulling the plug on guys -- they could just have him take over the Sin Cara role and pretend that nothing has ever happened. Maybe they can have a heel take out Sin Cara and then have Hunico show up under the mask and defeat the heel, and allude to it being rumored that it's a different guy, but no one is sure for certain.