PDA

View Full Version : Outsiders vs Steiners appreciation thread

Ol Dirty Dastard
10-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Honestly watching some of the old nWo era stuff, the Steiners and the Outsiders had consistantly some of the best and hottest matches. They really worked well together, particulary Hall and Scott.

If you think about it, when Scott turned on Rick, it was a bad move. They really could have milked that feud for years, keeping a slow burn on it as they still feuded with others, but instead they kind of hotshotted Scotty turning to Big Poppa Pump. Obviously BPP for a while was a great character and he got a great push, but IMO there was something so oldschool and awesome about The Outsiders and the Steiners, when Scott turned even as a ten year old, the wind was kind of taken out of the sails of wcw, it was one of the many things that killed the big picture.

It's just so silly, you have guys like DDP, Bret Hart, Sting, the Steiners, the four horseman, and you just can't give the feud a proper blowoff, but I digress from the point of this, let's talk about how great the Outsiders/Wolfpac vs. The Steiners feud was. I found all the matches to be hard hitting, and dramatic, and you were always left wanting more, until that kind of cornball heelturn by Scott. Even as a 10 year old I could see the heel turn coming and was kind of like "*sigh* they always do this".

Here's a humdinger from Souled Out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/egm1IEPdiOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bad News Gertner
10-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Outsiders vs the Faces of Fear and The Nasty Boys had a nice feud going too. Great match at Fall Brawl 96.

Juan
10-25-2013, 02:25 AM
Always loved the Steiners and they really shined in that feud with the Outsiders.

Bad News Gertner
10-25-2013, 03:00 AM
WCW had some bad ass tag teams then. Harlem Heat, Steiners, Faces of Fear, Outsiders, Nasty Boys, The Amazing French Canadians, Horsemen. Big, tough teams who could put on an enetertaining match.

Ol Dirty Dastard
10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I'll agree with that. Honestly, once Scotty turned heel though it's like the big badass era was over. I was not as privy to it as all of you, but from that point I don't remember anything quite so well constructed and executed as angles and storylines previous really going on. That's partially why the sex, drugs and rock and roll era of 1996-1999 sort of pisses me off, because there was no god damned discretion by the end of it. When they DID use discretion, everything was shit hot, but then everyone just decided to start hot shotting everything. It's like "Okay I know Scott Steiner has been feuding with the nWo for the past two years, but let's have him join them for pretty much no reason other than he's annoyed with his brother, and in the process let's make said brother look like a total fucking idiot". Just no fucking logic.

Curd
10-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Totally. Every big tag team in WCW broke up once the Steiners did. It was counter productive because it depleted the tag ranks without anymore shock value once they got down to splitting Harlem Heat twice (once in '98 and again in '99).

Curd
10-25-2013, 06:50 PM
And speaking of the Heat, the dumbest move WCW did to them was not to have two Harlem teams (original Heat and Heat 2000) but to have Stevie Ray's replacement on Booker T's team be some unknown woman wrestler (Midnight) who left WCW six months later and was never heard or seen from again in any fed. :shrugs:

Curd
10-25-2013, 06:51 PM
But I guess Madusa in black face wouldn't fly after Buff Bagwell mocked Ernest Miller and caused him to throw a hissyfit to Bischoff. :lol: