PDA

View Full Version : Super Size Me - Everyone needs to see this

Triple A
05-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Just saw it today at an arthouse theater in NYC. Great movie. It's a documentary about basically, fast food, and how it has made America the fattest country in the entire world.

The filmmaker eats nothing but McDonald's, 3 times a day, for 30 days straight and we find out how it effects his body.

It's crazy shit. Really funny and entertaining. Probably really hard to find anywhere in your shitty town unless you live in New York or LA, so tough shit. Check it out when it comes out on DVD though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

Triple A
05-16-2004, 04:43 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/cinemashowtimes - Check if it's playing anywhere near you.

Scarface
05-16-2004, 05:10 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/cinemashowtimes - Check if it's playing anywhere near you.

ok.

I heard today that it takes 2 hours of solid dancing to work off one cheeseburger. That guy's gonna have to do a lot of dancing.

edit: Im not American so I can't check on there. Although I'd like to see this.

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 05:28 AM
He must have been sick of it after 30 days. I was reading some of the comments and some people were arguing over who invented McDonalds.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Yeah, and he gained like 27 lbs or something. He gained like 10 lbs in the first week. DIVIDE BY 2.2 FOR kg. DICK.

And his liver was going to die or some shit.

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 05:44 AM
He was eating 5 000 calories a day? :eek:

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 05:45 AM
http://www.techcentralstation.com/supersizecon.html

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Funded by McDonalds :roll:

Triple A
05-16-2004, 05:53 AM
http://www.techcentralstation.com/supersizecon.html
LOL that is ridiculous. The movie is pretty straight forward in what it's saying, really.

The US is the fattest country in the world, and the amount of obese people has doubled since the 80s or something.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 05:56 AM
BTW, six weeks after the movie came out, McDonald's announced that they were getting rid of their Super Size choice.

Also, they announced a new Adult Happy Meal, which is a salad and a bottle of water.

Sephiroth
05-16-2004, 07:26 AM
I already saw it, Mc Donalds is bad shit.

The Mask
05-16-2004, 10:27 AM
hmm.. it comes out in september here. i'm sure i'd seen it on a directors chair dealio or something though.

MrMeJW
05-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Might have to get into boston this week and check it out

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 01:49 PM
I really want to see it, it's been mentioned on commercials and CNN as of late. I think it might be a great documentary.

Does he only eat McDonalds, or is it other fast food too?

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 01:52 PM
... I know you say McDonalds, but I just want to clarify that you weren't being generalistic?

Kane Knight
05-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Yeah, and he gained like 27 lbs or something. He gained like 10 lbs in the first week. DIVIDE BY 2.2 FOR kg. DICK.

And his liver was going to die or some shit.
multiply.

One pound is 2.2 kg...

DaveWadding
05-16-2004, 01:56 PM
No, he eats McDonald's exclusively.

el fregadero
05-16-2004, 02:03 PM
He must have been sick of it after 30 days. I was reading some of the comments and some people were arguing over who invented McDonalds.
Yeah, I saw that. Pretty sad.

da_king
05-16-2004, 02:18 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
yeah i'll probably be checking it out, didn't he have to say yes everytime they offered to supersize his meal? his doctors must've been begging him to stop. wonder what more McDonald's might do to curb the negative publicity.

</font>

Triple A
05-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah he couldn't eat anything if it wasn't on the McDonald's menu and he had to say yes any time he was asked to super size.

His doctors were like amazed at what it was doing to his body.

And his girlfriend was a vegan dietician or some crap like that, so that was funny.

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 05:43 PM
haha

"Where we go for dinner tonight darling?"

"Ummm...well...

John la Rock
05-16-2004, 06:16 PM
ya I heard about that documentry. It looks interesting. I really want to see it.

loopydate
05-16-2004, 06:21 PM
It's misleading. Yes, eating nothing but fast food three times a day for a month will make you sick, but...who the **** does that? He's not exposing anything anyone doesn't already know, but the film is being made out (at least in the couple of reviews/whatever I've seen/read/heard) to be this big revealing tell-all kind of "Look at what McDonald's has done to Americans."

I appreciate what he's trying to say, but this is certainly not the way to bring that point into relief. He's endangering his own safety and using extremes to make a point about the everyday.

I'm sure it's well made, but I don't really have any desire to see it.

KleptoKlown
05-16-2004, 07:39 PM
people already know mcdonalds makes you fat. It just doesnt stop them from eating there.

KleptoKlown
05-16-2004, 07:40 PM
its kinda like smoking....if you're a smoker, and see those anti smoking comercials, is it going to make you stop smokinng?

generally speaking...no

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 08:08 PM
I don't see how you can say it's misleading. He has a theory, he tests it, he provides the results. How is that misleading?

If it's because "no one does that", well that's your theory. Test it and provide the results. Until then you're the one being misleading by simply suggesting that.

If you're saying it's because everyone already knows it, then it's not misleading because you are already conceeding it's a known quantity.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Watch it before you judge it.

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 08:14 PM
When you think about it though if you are a kid that's eating school dinners that are similar to McDonalds, he is making a point about that as well.

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 08:21 PM
The guy's whole point was that McDonald's was misleading, because in response to criticisms over the shitness of their food, they produced an advertising campaign that highlighted the nutrition value and high quality of their food.

This guy decided, if McDonald's is as healthy as the advertisements say, then he would be able to live off a diet consisting of food from their menu.

I read about this film months ago, but haven't seen anything about it being released here.

McDonald's don't need people making excuses for them. They mislead the public, and some people are stupid enough to believe them. In some ways, this guy is a true artist, because he puts his own health on the line to raise awareness about a particular point.

VonErich Lives
05-16-2004, 08:34 PM
I want to see it, cause if one wanted to they could live of fast food and still be healthy.

The menu has many choices, you don't have to eat the bread (no carbs), you don't have to get fries all the time etc...

Plus the other key is exercising... Heck, you could eat crap at home, worse then fast food and not exercise and gain weight and get sick.

The two places it's playing around here I wont go, but I'll get the DVD when it comes out.

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah but if you take stuff away, you aren't sticking to the menu really. Also it must be hard to burn of 5000+ calories a day or whatever it was.

McDonalds are doing salad here now, do they do that in the U.S?

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 08:39 PM
You couldn't eat solely fast food and be healthy. You would be eating far too much salt, refined sugar and you wouldn't get any vitamins or fresh fruit/vegetables.

It's about more than carbs. ****ing Atkins.

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 08:40 PM
What kind of dickhead would go to McDonald's for a salad, anyway?

Do they suddenly think if they get a bit of old lettuce it'll be ok?

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 08:46 PM
It's about more than carbs. ****ing Atkins.

It's all about carbs

:shifty:

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 08:46 PM

The same people that go there for "meat" apparently.

VonErich Lives
05-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah but if you take stuff away, you aren't sticking to the menu really. Also it must be hard to burn of 5000+ calories a day or whatever it was.

McDonalds are doing salad here now, do they do that in the U.S?

Who says you have to eat 5,000 calories a day? Heck, cook at home and eat 5,000 calories a day, and don't exercise and your screwed.

You couldn't eat solely fast food and be healthy. You would be eating far too much salt, refined sugar and you wouldn't get any vitamins or fresh fruit/vegetables.

Yeah, you could... it's all what you choose on the menu. They have Chicken, They have Salads, I personally don't like McD's cause the way the cook the burgers, but if you were selective with what you ate, and exercised you would be ok. Not gourging on 5,000 calories... I mean, WTF did he eat to get 5,000 calories a day? The only real concern would be sodium, but that shouldn't be a major issue if you don't have high blood pressure.

Here's an old site that lists the calories and fat and sodium contents of a lot of McD's stuff.

http://www.bgsm.edu/nutrition/mcdnld.htm

This guy had to be really pigging out to get 5,000 calories.

Hey Trips or someone who saw this, can you give me what an average days meal was? Just curious.

VonErich Lives
05-16-2004, 08:50 PM

Personally I don't, but why not? I mean if it's reasonable priced and quick and convient... whats the problem?

Salad, Soda and if desert if is a must maybe a cookie.

Doesn't sound like a horrible unhealthy lunch to me.

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeah, you could... it's all what you choose on the menu. They have Chicken, They have Salads, I personally don't like McD's cause the way the cook the burgers, but if you were selective with what you ate, and exercised you would be ok. Not gourging on 5,000 calories... I mean, WTF did he eat to get 5,000 calories a day? The only real concern would be sodium, but that shouldn't be a major issue if you don't have high blood pressure.

The chicken is usually processed and full of salt. The batter they coat it in makes it very fatty, too.

You simply could not eat a healthy diet exclusively eating McDonald's menu food.

The Mackem
05-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Well about 4 Big Mac meals would get you 5000 calories. I don't know how he did it but I'm guessing it isn't too hard.

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Personally I don't, but why not? I mean if it's reasonable priced and quick and convient... whats the problem?

Salad, Soda and if desert if is a must maybe a cookie.

Doesn't sound like a horrible unhealthy lunch to me.

Why the **** would you go to McDonald's for a salad, though? It's pre-packed bullshit.

Would it be so hard to go to some local cafe or eatery and eat something prepared by someone who will be concerned with preparing food that will actually be tasty, and value for money?

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Wasn't this documentary made before McD's had salads though?

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Well before. I read about it months ago, maybe last summer.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Yeah, before. They updated some stuff in the movie later though and it turns out that the salads have just as much calories (with dressing) as a Big Mac.

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:18 PM
..because to me, it seems like McD's new healthy menu is as much a response to deflect criticism away from themselves over this documentary. (Pre-emptive assault) as much as market demand. McD's needs more bad news like they need more lawsuits.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Along with the documentary, it's also because of the lawsuits against them from fat people who claimed that their food made them fat.

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah, before. They updated some stuff in the movie later though and it turns out that the salads have just as much calories (with dressing) as a Big Mac.

LOL, it's almost like they try to do good, but their evil roots always rise to the top.

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Along with the documentary, it's also because of the lawsuits against them from fat people who claimed that their food made them fat.

But that arguement was thrown out of court was it not?

Triple A
05-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it was, and there was a law passed saying that people couldn't sue for that anymore, but it still gave McDonald's bad publicity.

El Capitano Gatisto
05-16-2004, 09:22 PM
I thought the documentary was against that whole advertising campaign where in response to criticism, McDonald's started advertising their burgers were 100% beef and no added salt or preservatives, and their meals were healthy and all that shit.

I really want to see it now, mostly to see how disgustingly fat this guy becomes.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Nah, that wasn't really the main point. It starts off giving a map of the US, and a graph.

Since the 80s, the number of obese people has way more than doubled. I wish I had a pic of the graph, it was crazy. So the documentary was basically trying to find out why this was happening. It doesn't only look at McDonald's. It looks at school lunches and stuff too.

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah Trips has got me even more excited about this than I was.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 09:27 PM
BTW, the US is also one of the stupidest countries in the world too, not just the fattest. :cool:

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:33 PM
BTW, the US is also one of the stupidest countries in the world too, not just the fattest. :cool:

Do you base this opinion from something out of the movie?

Triple A
05-16-2004, 09:36 PM
I forgot what the exact stat was. I'm trying to remember, but it was out of the movie.

After making some point, he said, "So the United States is not only the fattest country in the world, but it's on its way to becoming the stupidest."

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Well to be perfectly honest, him stating that in his movie will draw criticism. It'll cause people to forget what the whole point was and focus on that.

Call this my intuition. He shouldn't have said that.

Triple A
05-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Nah it was a way small point. I don't even remember what it was. That's how "important" it was in the movie. It was done well though, trust me.

samichna
05-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Yeah they have that movie here

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:51 PM
For his sake I hope so. But you know how easy things can be blown out of proportion.

YOUR Hero
05-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Yeah they have that movie here
Did you see it?

Boondock Saint
05-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah my friend has seen it twice and loved it both times. It's playing around Boston and there abouts, I just don't know if I will have the time to see it. :-\ I really want to though.

Maybe it'll become successful to the point where it is released more widely ala Bowling for Columbine so it'll be closer.

DaveWadding
05-17-2004, 12:20 AM
It opens here on the 28th in a little 1 screen arthaus theatre 'cross town...I'll drag my older sis :cool:

VonErich Lives
05-18-2004, 03:30 AM
Why the **** would you go to McDonald's for a salad, though? It's pre-packed bullshit.

Would it be so hard to go to some local cafe or eatery and eat something prepared by someone who will be concerned with preparing food that will actually be tasty, and value for money?

Your missing the point, what difference does it make where you go?

A salads a salad, and again, I'm not judging till I see it, but if he forced himself to stay over 5,000 calories a day, then thats crap, because if you did that eating at home or anywhere, w/o exercise you'd have problems.

I think they just made "new salads" cause I always thought they had salads, again... wouldn't be my first choice of where to go for a salad... but thats just me.

But then, wouldn't any salad w/ dressing have the same calories? I mean, is there something special like fried lettuce they're putting in there that ups the calories?

Also, Calories in general aren't bad if your exercising and if there's not a high fat content. Plenty of low fat high calorie meals out there and it all depends on your body/exercise.

I remember an interview years ago w/ Kerry VonErich and he said he would eat fast food on the weekends, that with his workout routine he has no problem burning it off.

BlackRavyyn
06-05-2004, 07:41 PM
<font color=lightgreen><i>Has anyone else seen this movie? -edit- Guess I should use the search function. I didn't realize it had sunk so farr down the list...

About the salads, one of the rules he made for the experiment was that he had to eat everything off the menu at least once and at the time of filming it didn't appear that the salads were on the menu but as posted before the content of the dressing and whatnot made them the equivalent of a Big Mac. Not only that but there's only seven items on the menu that DON'T have sugar in them. Water is one of them (in Canada, it's not really offered)

As for the effect of the film, it's making me think twice about going there, that's for sure. Especially if you can consume a pound of sugar a day there by eating there for all three meals :eek:</i></font>

Triple A
06-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Posted a topic already. I will merge.

Blue Demon
06-09-2004, 11:33 PM
I saw it and thoguht it was well done

Zelda
06-10-2004, 01:19 AM
I saw this movie two weeks ago. It was entertaining. Every Americans should see this movie.

Myles
06-11-2004, 04:55 PM
I haven't seen the movie, I really want to though. All I have to say is that I after I eat Mcdonalds I feel sick to my stomach and I feel like shit. I go to subway, and oh my god, it doesn't happen.

The Outlaw
06-11-2004, 10:33 PM
I saw this movie two weeks ago. It was entertaining. Every Americans should see this movie.

Why?

Kane Knight
06-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Your missing the point, what difference does it make where you go?

A salads a salad, and again, I'm not judging till I see it, but if he forced himself to stay over 5,000 calories a day, then thats crap, because if you did that eating at home or anywhere, w/o exercise you'd have problems.
What difference does it make?

Well, if I'm gonna get a salad while eating out, I don't want one that's prolly sat in a McDonalds for five months. In fact, I think that was part of the afforememntion statement. So maybe he's not missing the point at all...

Kane Knight
06-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Why?
Because we're all fat, stupid, and need a movie to tell us that fast food is bad.

el fregadero
06-12-2004, 02:21 AM
At least we don't speak French.

toxic rooster
06-12-2004, 03:07 AM
"Wow, I'm going to make a movie stating the obvious and saying that McDonalds makes you fat."

Wow, and people are actually paying to see this thing :eek:

Triple A
06-12-2004, 05:25 AM
"Wow, I'm going to make a movie stating the obvious and saying that McDonalds makes you fat."

Wow, and people are actually paying to see this thing :eek:
Yeah way to go dick.

Maybe you should see the movie.

toxic rooster
06-12-2004, 05:38 AM
Yeah way to go Triple A

I saw it last week for English.

Triple A
06-12-2004, 05:44 AM
That's okay, you are still a moron.

toxic rooster
06-12-2004, 05:50 AM
Whatever, DOUCHBAG.

razorblade kisses
06-12-2004, 07:02 AM
Jesus...5,000 calories a day? Thats mad. No wonder his liver was dying and stuff, not to mention all the fat and sodium. My average calorie consumption is 1300 calories a day so that just seems like loads.

Triple A
06-12-2004, 07:04 AM
I'm pretty sure he didn't force himself to stay over 5,000 calories a day. The rule was he had to eat three square meals a day from the McDonald's menu. The 5,000 calories thing just sort of happened by eating just McDonald's three times a day.

Kane Knight
06-12-2004, 11:29 AM
At least we don't speak French.
:lol:

Mais oui, mon ami.

Kane Knight
06-12-2004, 11:30 AM
"squre meals" at McDonalds. :lol:

YOUR Hero
06-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Wendy's makes square hamburgers. Thus you get a square meal at Wendy's. Do you see?

The Mask
09-28-2004, 04:35 AM
finally saw it yesterday :rant:

was good times though.

but yeah, it was 3 square meals a day, like he haad to get a big mac meal or a cheeseburger meal, etc etc. so basically, he had to have fries every time, apart from for breakfast.

MrMeJW
09-28-2004, 08:19 AM
We got it in work friday and I've watched it 4 times already. It is so interesting.

Gertner
09-28-2004, 03:16 PM
It's common sense.

I'm gonna do a documentary where I snort coke every single day and see what it does to me? hmmmm I wonder what will happen.