PDA

View Full Version : Albums you are looking forward to in 2014

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Oh yes, it is that time of year again... the start of the year, in fact, so when better?

I'm not even sure if any artists/bands that I like have any albums coming out this year. We've (collective, not just me) been waiting 7 years or so for a new Tool album to appear, but MJK seems to be more interested in his wine and Puscifer-project to produce something. I'm hoping Jenny Lewis might bring out a new album this year, since it was 2010(?) when we last got some original material; the Rilo Kiley b-sides/rarities album from last year does not count.

I daresay some of my classical favourites like Patricia Petibon and Isabelle Faust will bring something out later in the year.

The Dum Dum Girls have a new album out at the end of this month, but I'm not that particularly into them; my interest is only really kept as the lass I like is a fan, due to my introduction.

I still hope to see the release of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's final album, which was recorded around 2011, but due to lack of funding has never seen the light of day.

So, TPWW, what albums are you looking forward to this year?

dronepool
01-01-2014, 03:53 PM
From the bands that I like, can't keep up with them all but I always want new stuff from Marilyn Manson, NIN, Tool.. Wintersun is supposed to put out Time 2 I think. Something from Dimmu Borgir would be cool. Maybe more Skinny Puppy? Is Kovenant ever going to put out another album after SETI?

Impeccable
01-02-2014, 05:04 AM
I had a quick look on Amazon at the albums that already have a release date planned in, and nothing jumped out at me. 2014 might be a slow year music wise (for bands I like anyway).

Heisenberg
01-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I honestly have a good set of music on my phone ranging back to the 60s and 70s, I don't give a damn about the new music coming out save a song or album or two.

I used to buy nothing but albums and stare at the covers for days, but I think I'm getting too old to give a piss about the new wave stuff.

This mindset is good for when I stumble upon something incredible, I don't like being forced to listen to something and that is how music is circulating around me these days, plus it's hard on these streets we post on, you never know when you're gonna get repped into hayell.

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't buy many new releases each year, except from bands that I've liked for quite a while. Out of the 130+ albums I bought last year, only around 25 were released in 2013. I usually just pursue whatever music I am into at that given time, rather than following specific acts or whatever. Like, for the past 18 months, I've been on a bit of a classical binge, but come next month, I might turn back into full-on, metal-thrashing fiend mode, or go all folkie.

FakeLaser
01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Cloud Nothings
Big Ups
Run The Jewels
White Lung
Kanye West
Modest Mouse
Cities Aviv
Xiu Xiu
Schoolboy Q
Bleeding Rainbow
Flying Lotus/Captain Murphy
The Men
GZA
Wu-Tang
Swans
Titus Andronicus
Grimes

Sexton-Hardcastle
01-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Im looking forward to people finding The Temperance Movement in their droves...Self titled debut album came out towards the back end of last year, and is one of the best things I've heard since What's the Story Morning Glory..

Theres also an EP called Pride on Youtube which is well worth a listen.

Edit - Saying that, just click play.... You won't regret it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fdcQLuh_VGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-31-2014, 04:29 PM
So Jenny Lewis will be releasing a new album this year; about goddamn time!

Jenny Lewis Hopes to Release New Album in Spring 2014

Singer-songwriter reports first solo disc since 2008 is inspired by "insomnia"

By
Katie Van Syckle
January 21, 2014 7:50 PM ET

Jenny Lewis and Johnathan Rice sit in a Park City lodge sipping spicy Bloody Marys. They partied hard last night celebrating the Sundance premiere of Kate Barker-Froyland's Song One, starring Anne Hathaway, which the rocker couple scored. ("Many hot toddys," Lewis says. "Plenty of powder," Rice jokes.) In the film, Hathaway plays Franny, an anthropology grad student studying in Morocco who is called home with news her Brooklyn-based busker brother has been hit by a car and is in a coma. Distraught, she finds her brother's journal and traces his steps, eventually befriending his favorite singer-songwriter, the fictional James Forester — played by real life musician Johnny Flynn — and becomes equally infatuated. Rolling Stone spoke with Lewis and Rice about writing an album for a fictional musician, Lewis' latest track for Girls and her first solo album since 2008, due out this spring.

Sundance 2014's opening weekend, by the numbers

How did this project come about?
Lewis: With our own music I was on a little bit of a sabbatical, which is unusual, so it was just perfectly timed that I had about a year off to work on the songs. It took a really long time, and there was a lot of back and forth and a lot of collaboration.

I know you collaborated with director Kate Barker-Froyland, did you also collaborate with Anne Hathaway?
Lewis: Yes, she was listening to all the songs as they were being written and so was Jonathan Demme, and we would demo on garage band at home and send the songs out and wait for feedback. They asked us if we would try writing some of the songs for the film, and within 24 hours they had a song in their inbox. That first song, "Little Yellow Dress," I think got us the job, and then it was like one down seven to go.

And how did you conceive of differently than last year's Very Good Girls, where you performed the songs on the soundtrack?
Lewis: It was, harder in some ways, and easier in some ways. When you remove your performance from the equation it's easier to listen back from the song, because you're not listening back to the tone of your voice, but in other ways you have to make the lyrics specific to the character. The thing that excited us is we could tell the back-stories of the characters the stuff that wasn't in the pages of the script. So we could talk about James Forester's relationship with his parents, relationship with his ex-girlfriend, we asked all of these questions of [director Kate Barker-Froyland], so we could write about him. Before the camera started rolling the songs had to be all recorded. James Forrester, who Johnny Flynn plays, has an album.

Rice: So there is a possibility for it not to just be a conventional sound track but for it to be a found album of sorts.

So you might release a more studio style album for this fictional character.
Rice: That's out of our hands, but it could be non-conventional and interesting. Jenny and I produced the sessions in New York, but then we mixed them specifically with Rob Schnapf, who helmed the first Elliott Smith records, because we used Eliot as kind of a touchstone emotionally and sonically, and that was definitely a jumping off point for the character of Johnny Forester. Bill Fox was also a huge influence on this character, and Neutral Milk Hotel — just those records that don't have a studio sheen, but have an intimacy and an idiosyncrasy.

Had you ever done anything like this before?
Lewis: No, and there were a couple songs where I was like, shit, I'm about to record a new record, I wish I hadn't given that song away.

You are working on a new album, did this project push you forward at all, being on a bit of a sabbatical?
Lewis: It did, and I think any song writing challenge is a good one. And sometimes it take an experience like this to get you out of your own head and to get you out of your own routine as songwriting, so I found it really inspiring, and it made me want to get back to myself and that sort of news-ticker in my head and my own inner monologue.

This is your first album since 2008, what's the status?
Lewis: I'm mixing next week and this is all I'll say, until it's mixed I don't really want to talk about it, but it took a village.

And I understand you are looking to release it this year?
Lewis: Yes, sometime this spring. I just had this song on Girls that my friend [Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmangli] wrote the music for, and he sent me a track to write over and I did. He wrote the music, and I wrote the melody, and the top line as it were, and I just learned what a top line was, and the music, and we spent a day with his friend Ariel at his studio in the Valley. We weren't able to do more than one song I originally wanted to do more songs with him but the Girls soundtrack was originally a great outlet for this one collaboration.

Will that go on your album?
Lewis: I don't know. I'm not sure. It depends on how the rest of the songs turn out, and see if it fits. It exists in it's own right.

Any inspiration or themes for the album?
Lewis: Insomnia.

Do you write the songs when you can't sleep?
Lewis: Yeah, some of them. I was awake for a while. I'm superstitious, until I start mixing, I feel like when I start it then I will be able to actually speak of it. But I'm done recording, and I'm just mixing in LA.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jenny-lewis-hopes-to-release-new-album-in-spring-2014-20140121#ixzz2s0v4zYxp
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

The Condor
01-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Allegedly, Bloodhound Gang are working on some new material. Excited for that 25 minutes of obscure genius. Yeah..

dronepool
01-31-2014, 11:53 PM
Cynic has a new album on the 14th, yay.

Heisenberg
02-01-2014, 01:13 AM
Allegedly, Bloodhound Gang are working on some new material. Excited for that 25 minutes of obscure genius. Yeah..

Please inform me when this comes true, I'll do vice versa

Schlomey
02-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Jenny Lewis
broken bells - After The Disco (drops tomorrow!)
Band of Horses - Acoustic At The Ryman (live album)
Beck - Morning Phase
Drive By Truckers - English Oceans
Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything
Foster The People - Supermodel
Johnny Cash - Out Among The Stars ( a lost album from the 80's getting a re-issue)
Presidents of the United States of America (there is a donation going around to get this made right now)

to name a few

El Vaquero de Infierno
02-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Holy shit! Totally out of nowhere, Nickel Creek are releasing their first album in nine years later this year. They kept this under wraps.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JawK7QcEGKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope they tour over in the UK.