PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Now (PS4, Vita, Tablets, Phones and fucking Bravia TVs)

#BROKEN Hasney
01-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Sony announced that Gaikai is now know as Playstation Now and will be coming at the end of Jan for a closed beta in the US and then a full release in the summer.

What does this mean? A library of PS3 (so far) games to play on demand on PS4, Vita, iOS/Android tablets and even Bravia smart TVs. Yeah, you can buy an odd game here and there but the real megaton is that there will be a subscription option too.

Netflix of games. If the tech holds up well, I'm on this as soon as possible.

ClockShot
01-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Gamefly is in trouble.

I'm amped for this. But what about all the games in my library? I wanna play those for free.

ClockShot
01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Heh. Gamestop took a 8% hit in their shares today right after this was announced.

The Destroyer
01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Looking forward to this as I've missed out on a load of old PS titles.

Emperor Smeat
01-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Gamefly is in trouble.

I'm amped for this. But what about all the games in my library? I wanna play those for free.

Need to pay a fee for those games.

According to Sony, gamers who own disc or digital-based games will not have access to those games via PS Now free of charge.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/07/playstation-now-video-game-streaming-service-brings-old-games-to-your-tv-ps4/

Kalyx triaD
01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
If they found a way to clean up input lag and have a way for input to match PS3's controller then this is a nice move.

ClockShot
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Put my name in for the beta last night. Here's hoping I get in.

Emperor Smeat
01-13-2014, 05:31 PM
According to Sony, the PS4 controller will not be usable for the TV, smartphone, and tablet portion of the program. Can only use the PS3 controller in those instances.

Speaking to The Verge at CES, PlayStation marketing VP John Koller confirmed that the service will require you to use the PS3′s DualShock 3 controller when you’re streaming games to a TV, smartphone, or tablet. That means you won’t need to struggle with any clunky touchscreen controls, but it also means you’ll need to lug a DS3 around with you if you’ve got the urge to play on the go.

Koller said the decision was designed to ensure that every game would be instantly compatible with the service and easy to play without having to relearn new controls. “It’s a lot of how these games were developed. We want to continue the experiences as they were meant to be played on the controller,” he explained.

On handheld devices, the most likely scenario is that the DualShock 3 will be paired via Bluetooth, though that capability won’t be available when PS Now launches this summer, and it’s apparently at the back of the queue behind Vita support.

On Sony’s new 2014 line of Bravia HDTVs—the only models confirmed to work with the service thus far—the picture is less clear. The official spec sheet for the new models make no mention of Bluetooth capabilities, and a Sony rep has rather ambiguously stated to The Escapist that the DS3 “can be connected” via USB cable to the television—just as it was during demos on the CES floor. It’s far from official confirmation, but those two pieces of evidence taken together make it seem quite likely that using PlayStation Now through your TV means you’ll be tethered with a big, long cable.
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/playstation-now-requires-dualshock-3-on-smartphones-tablets-tvs/

Savio
01-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Hmm might choose to get a PS4 eventually then.