PDA

View Full Version : Buying Retro Games

weather vane
02-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Anybody know of any good sites/forums that sell vintage video games? NES/SNES/Sega Genesis/Atari 2600/N64/etc.

Trying to build up my collection but my city has jack shit to offer. Also eBay is terrible these days, everything is insanely overpriced.

Also feel free to talk about retro games in here. Also love web series like AVGN/Game Chasers/Pat the NES Punk/LGR/Video Game Years/etc.

K bye.

Fignuts
02-27-2014, 01:53 AM
Big retro fan. Got tons of stuff on my computer, and at times I play them more than I do current systems.

I considered getting the actual systems and physical copies of the games, but shit was way more expensive than I thought it would be.

Ossman is pretty big into this stuff too.

whiteyford
02-27-2014, 02:01 AM
I've had a few good deals on ebay, if you're willing to buy bulk lots of games you can do alright but yeah, individual games can be ridiculously overpriced.

weather vane
02-27-2014, 02:36 AM
I don't play newer consoles at all. NHL and Madden, that's about it.

whiteyford
02-27-2014, 03:26 AM
Get yourself one of those retro gamer consoles, think it does nes/snes/gb/master system/genesis games but its 'region free',might be able to get the games your looking for cheaper abroad?

weather vane
02-27-2014, 03:56 AM
I like to have the actual physical copies of the games. Although it would be smart for me to get like one of those carts that have all the roms on them.

Not even sure if that exists.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-27-2014, 03:59 AM
I heard Gamestop was trying to collect major inventory of vintage video games. That's probably why it's so hard to find.

Heard gamestop might be trying to sell them in the future and are trying corner the market.

whiteyford
02-27-2014, 04:09 AM
I like to have the actual physical copies of the games. Although it would be smart for me to get like one of those carts that have all the roms on them.

Not even sure if that exists.

Look for retroduo, you still need the actual games but it supports a bunch of retro Nintendo systems, you need the super gameboy for those games and you can buy an adapter for Sega games.

whiteyford
02-27-2014, 04:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Duo

weather vane
02-27-2014, 04:14 AM
I have a retroduo, never use it though. Just use my actual NES ans SNES haha.

Im talking actual gamr carts.

weather vane
02-27-2014, 04:15 AM
I need to maybe but like a Powerpak cart that can hold all the roms. Just looked em up.

whiteyford
02-27-2014, 04:34 AM
Likes of Madden/NHL etc are sweetie money here, I've given away about 3 copies of NHL 95 already so I dunno if they'd be cheaper as imports for you.

whiteyford
02-27-2014, 04:38 AM
135 for a nes powerpak, still tempting though.

OssMan
02-27-2014, 08:29 AM
estarland.com

weather vane
02-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Lol not those NHL and Maddens. Geez we are WAY off here.

Ermaximus
02-27-2014, 12:58 PM
estarland.com

Yeah, this is by far the best site I've found too. Blades of Steel was only a quarter when I got it. After that, you kind of don't need any other hockey games really.

whiteyford
02-27-2014, 01:00 PM
They all blur into one for me, except NHL 95 which was great. I may be thinking of the wrong one again though.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-27-2014, 03:42 PM
93,94,95 are all awesome.

VSG
02-27-2014, 03:55 PM
You may want to just consider emulators and run them on a PC.

Fignuts
02-27-2014, 04:31 PM
VSG, read the threads you post in, man.

Ermaximus
02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Spilchuk, I'm not entirely sure if you have them where you live, but Play N Trade is a fairly inexpensive source of older cartridge games. I can say I've spent maybe 30 bucks tops on most of the games I've bought there over the past year. NES, SNES, SEGA, PS1, N64.

The selection may not always be the best, but they are fairly decently priced.

Bobholly138
02-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Get yourself one of those retro gamer consoles, think it does nes/snes/gb/master system/genesis games but its 'region free',might be able to get the games your looking for cheaper abroad?

The Retron 6 looks great.

Or you could just get a Dreamcast and use it to emulate all the older consoles. I do that for the 2600,Colecovision,Gameboy,NES,SMS,SNES,Genesis,Turbographx 16 and MAME.

Also for actual carts and systems trying checking junkstores,flea markets and antique malls in smaller towns. I live in a small town and can find NES carts for around $5 each.It is mostly common or uncommon stuff. But still when people online want $20 for SMB III and I can find it around here for $5 that isn't a bad deal.

Bobholly138
02-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Also around X-mas I see at Dollar General some system that has 60 built in Genesis games. Plus it has the cart slot to play other Genesis games. I think the controllers are wireless. It is $30 or $40. No idea about the quality of it.

Emperor Smeat
02-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Agree with eStarland as a good choice. Outside of a few eBay purchases, been doing all my retro game shopping from them.

eBay can be decent at times for deals and have snagged a few good games for under $15. People using auto bid scripts and bots does get annoying really fast though.

https://www.gameovervideogames.com/store
Did a quick google search and that site seems to have a large collection and decent prices although never done any purchases with them.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-27-2014, 10:32 PM
http://www.game-underground.com/

great store.

weather vane
02-28-2014, 12:12 AM
That site doesnt work.

I think Im going to buy a PowerPak. Seems unreal kinda.

Bad News Gertner
02-28-2014, 12:48 AM
My gf collects retro games. Spends waaaay too much money on them.

loopydate
02-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Spilchuk, I'm not entirely sure if you have them where you live, but Play N Trade is a fairly inexpensive source of older cartridge games. I can say I've spent maybe 30 bucks tops on most of the games I've bought there over the past year. NES, SNES, SEGA, PS1, N64.

The selection may not always be the best, but they are fairly decently priced.

Love Play N Trade. I got a Retron for my birthday, and I'm obsessed with playing all the old NES and SNES games I brought back from my folks' place. Using PNT to fill in the gaps in my collection.

Ermaximus
02-28-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm doing the same thine Loopy. Jackal, Bad Dudes, Star Tropics, Pinball Quest. Man, good times.

voncouch
04-01-2014, 10:01 AM
If you're buying the old school cartridges and not just using emulators, I'd suggest going to local yard sales, swap meets, flea markets, etc. It's more of a stab in the dark, but most of the stuff online is crazy expensive. Especially for classic platformers and the like.

Crazy Nick
04-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Check out http://www.stoneagegamer.com
They offer quite a few retro games as well as flash carts that allow you to play all of your retro games. The flash carts may be expensive but they allow you to have all the games in one place, so I would definitely recommend you check them out.

James Steele
04-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Why wouldn't you just use emulators and buy the USB controllers? It'd be a million times cheaper. My sister got into the whole buying old consoles and games, and it ended up being more hassle than it was worth just to get the nostalgia of it all.

Kris P Lettus
04-02-2014, 10:16 AM
There is a store in one of the local malls that speciallize in cartridge games and consoles

I should post my collection

Kris P Lettus
04-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I haven't bought anything at that new store I found. None of my systems work so I will be buying a NES and a 64 soon. Here is my current collection. I had like every 64 game at one point but they were stolen from me like 12 years ago. I have MOST of the great NES games but am missing a few classics like Simons Quest and Mega Man 2.

http://i.imgur.com/8rkjEBMh.jpg