PDA

View Full Version : It's so cool watching early WWF Hulkamania

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2014, 12:46 AM
When he first came back and turned face. First of all, I don't give a fuck about what anyone says, the man could fucking work like a motherfucker. Maybe not a technical genius, but he was as rough and tumble as a Stan Hansen and always brought it, and for a man his size could move quickly.

Also awesome was that eye of the tiger was his original theme which I'm sure many of you know but I did not, so fucking cool to see him come out to that. I just figured he had no music, but I guess it was his music in AWA and it carried over.

I think what was so amazing about him all the way up until even the Macho Man feud (because I say that's probably when he peaked as a performer up until his run in the nWo) is that he was LEGITIMATELY a super hero. He was a full on comic book super hero, and some how and some way it was so fucking believable even watching it now. Just perfect timing, well done feuds, great facials. When he wrestled a match, he always made it a titanic struggle and he was great with subtleties, his psycology was ALWAYS there... he made the little things matter. I honestly think he is the only guy that embodied being a full on cartoon/comic book character. He legit was "immortal" in his own way.

And there's all these little things I find cool, like how he didn't always wear the red and yellow, but often had blue trunks. I always though it was the #redandyellow. I also love seeing "The Incredible Hulk Hogan" as a heel vs. Andre and also as a mega face in AWA. Just cool as fucking shit.

The moral of the story is the access we have to all this oldschool wrestling is fucking awesome because it really helps you appreciate it all. I'm not even a Hogan mark, but holy shit was he cool as cool in his prime, and I would venture to say damned near untouchable.

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-01-2014, 12:51 AM
JYD came out to Another One bites the dust.

Seth82
05-01-2014, 01:19 AM
you seriously compare Hogan to Stan Hansen? I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

I knew he used Eye of the Tiger since AWA.

Many folks seem to think he always used Real American. That's because WWE has always dubbed it over on the old shows.

He even used it at Wrestlemania 1.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xxksr1" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxksr1_wrestlemania-1-3-of-4_sport" target="_blank">Wrestlemania 1 3 Of 4</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/RedneckSpiritHunter" target="_blank">RedneckSpiritHunter</a></i>

FourFifty
05-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Massive props to Seth82 for reminding us that people think he always used Real American, but he doesn't get the extra point for pointing out that is was the US Express who used it before Hogan.

FourFifty
05-01-2014, 02:25 AM
But yea, gotta agree with Mr. Newstand. Hogan was a real life super hero for many of us. He embodied what was good with the world, didn't take shit, but didn't give people shit either. He embodied compassion and love, with a super hero physique to back it up.

Fignuts
05-01-2014, 06:22 AM
People shit on the legdrop as a finisher, but it's not like he just drops down on them. Dude gets some serious air, and for a guy his size, it looks pretty cool.

Impeccable
05-01-2014, 07:27 AM
The legdrop was a great finish. It was a showpiece end. Same as Warrior's splash and Macho's elbow.

But then people started including all of the above as part of their normal everyday repertoire, and when that starts happening, it's difficult to accept it as a finishing move.

I mean, X-Pac and D'Lo used the legdrop in practically every match, and usually made no impact.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2014, 09:05 AM
you seriously compare Hogan to Stan Hansen? I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

Many folks seem to think he always used Real American. That's because WWE has always dubbed it over on the old shows.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xxksr1" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxksr1_wrestlemania-1-3-of-4_sport" target="_blank">Wrestlemania 1 3 Of 4</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/RedneckSpiritHunter" target="_blank">RedneckSpiritHunter</a></i>

In his early days he was a rough brawler, over time, he Americanized his style. Hansen just kept it real.

Heisenberg
05-01-2014, 09:11 AM
I hear ya brother, you are in safe lands here with other Hulkamanias dude. I have rewatched the WM6 Ultimate Warrior/Hulk Hogan match a couple times already. He is from that era of when I was straight kayfabe and he is still able to transport me back to that time.

voncouch
05-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Real American was originally for Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham, but after they split, they slapped it on Hogan. He was using a pretty boring instrumental theme at the time (same one they used for the opening of the Rock n Wrestling cartoon). One of the best ideas the WWE ever had for early character development.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GJ0wRbfJcAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ig5phtP3Z_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CSL
05-01-2014, 11:07 AM
he was the man. I'd go in depth but I've written it so many times on here, usually in his defence in regards to the usual "boooo Hogan" sentiment. He was the definition of making every little thing you do mean something, nobody has ever had timing like Hogan. There's a reason he's the biggest the pro wrestler ever, he was the perfect guy. The fact he can lay claim to being one of the greatest babyfaces and the one of the greatest heels of all time says everything.

you should cry given that Hogan was better than Stan Hansen on pretty much every single level.

Seth82
05-01-2014, 11:29 AM
[COLOR="white"]you should cry given that Hogan was better than Stan Hansen on pretty much every single level.

Thanks for the laugh.

Hansen was a beast. I guess he's insignificant since he spent most of his career in Japan.

Hogan was a good worker once upon a time.

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Real American was originally for Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham, but after they split, they slapped it on Hogan. He was using a pretty boring instrumental theme at the time (same one they used for the opening of the Rock n Wrestling cartoon). One of the best ideas the WWE ever had for early character development.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GJ0wRbfJcAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ig5phtP3Z_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ULI00qFYay4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CSL
05-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the laugh.

Hansen was a beast. I guess he's insignificant since he spent most of his career in Japan.

Hansen was a beast. And he's not at all insignificant. And Hansen was also a good worker once upon a time. Just not as good as Hogan. Same goes for his promos. Or his presence. Or his facials. Or his timing. Or his look. And so on and so on.

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Yeah pretty sad Hansen is best known for in America for No Holds Barred.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the laugh.

That's what I was saying. Of course Hansen was a beast you wang chung. I fucking love Stan Hansen, I could watch his matches for hours. But Hogan, when he brought the heat, could brawl like Stan the Man, Never mind how he was better at everything else. For Christ's sake they had the same finishing move for years until Hogan started doing the leg drop.

Obviously as a baby face Hogan couldn't wrestle like the bar room brawler Stan Hansen was but fuck was he a big tough hombre when it came down to it.

IMO Hogan was untouchable from like 1982/1983-1990 ish. Once the 90s hit he was pretty god damned awful until he turned heel, where he was amazing for a short amount of time (in the grand scheme of things) and has had sporadic moments of awesomeness ever since.

At the end of the day he is and was probably the most special performer we'll ever know. I like Austin and Rocky better, and they acquired amazing success, but Hulk had that magic, that you can almost not put words to.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Your smarmy tone in this thread is infuriating Seth. Get out of your basement and take some dicks in the mouth, and maybe you won't be such a dink hole.

Innovator
05-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Whenever someone mentions Stan Hansen, it should be law to attach a gif of a LARIAT

Innovator
05-01-2014, 12:22 PM
http://i.minus.com/imPmlgIzt7JlW.gif

Seth82
05-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Hansen and Brody vs The Funks

Meltzer gave this five stars.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KpwvApRdfaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2014, 12:43 PM
that is in fact one of my favourite Stan Hansen matches. I also love Brody and Hansen vs Steamboat and Strongbow. Just a crazy fast paced match.

Theo Dious
05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
The legdrop was a great finish. It was a showpiece end. Same as Warrior's splash and Macho's elbow.

But then people started including all of the above as part of their normal everyday repertoire, and when that starts happening, it's difficult to accept it as a finishing move.

I mean, X-Pac and D'Lo used the legdrop in practically every match, and usually made no impact.

Yokozuna's leg drop was awesome as fuck and he usually used it as a mid-match spot.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Yeah Hogan's leg drop for the era was fine, because the psychology always made sense. But once you got into the 90s I feel like he shoulda just used the axe bomber or something different.

He also did a mean flying knee to the face.

DaveBrawl
05-01-2014, 01:43 PM
http://i.minus.com/imPmlgIzt7JlW.gif

Look at that magnificent mane on Terry Gordy.

Seth82
05-01-2014, 03:37 PM
that is in fact one of my favourite Stan Hansen matches. I also love Brody and Hansen vs Steamboat and Strongbow. Just a crazy fast paced match.

I think you meant Youngblood.

Hansen is rumored to have made around 60K a month in the 80's.

think about that - 60K a month! in the 80's is a lot of money.

at least he made good use of it and didn't blow it all like Flair.

Here's the match.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9WgipEwDu4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6BtDL60E8vs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2014, 11:08 PM
hahaha if it was Strongbow that would have been a vastly different match.

Shisen Kopf
05-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Stan Hansen was no sweet Stan Lane. That's a FACT that you can't argue with Seth.

Hanso Amore
05-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Stan Hansen is like the 3rd best Stan in pro wrestling.

STAN THE MAN STASIAK
SWEET STAN LANE

Stan Hansen

Innovator
05-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Cmon Hanso

http://i.minus.com/iOcSBMwMQmeve.gif

Hanso Amore
05-02-2014, 01:13 PM
If I want to watch a fat man beat the shit out of Japs, Ill watch a WW2 documentary on Nagasaki

Fignuts
05-02-2014, 02:31 PM
oof

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Cmon Hanso

http://i.minus.com/iOcSBMwMQmeve.gif

Such a badass.

Seth82
05-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Stan Stasiak was awful imo.

that fat man made millions beating the crap outta Japs.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-02-2014, 07:41 PM
tbh I enjoyed sweet stan lane's commentary, particulary when it was a longer match.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Also, Stan Hansen's lariat was way more hardcore in Japan than it was when he worked US territories.

CSL
05-02-2014, 10:20 PM
yeah but the Japs would laugh in his pudgy face if he didn't twat their noses off

Hanso Amore
05-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Stan Stasiak was awful imo.

that fat man made millions beating the crap outta Japs.

Awful.

Come on.

Clearly im fucking with you, but awful? He was a major world champion in a time of top workers. I guarantee you that if I hadnt said what I did and his name came up you would hipster cock jerk about how awesome he was. You are trying way too hard.

Hanso Amore
05-03-2014, 12:41 AM
You seriously talked about a 50 year old Eaton being an asset on these forums and legit just called Stasiak Awful

You need to die Seth

Curd
05-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Your smarmy tone in this thread is infuriating Seth. Get out of your basement and take some dicks in the mouth, and maybe you won't be such a dink hole.

Seth is the Sable to my pre-injury face Marc Mero. He'll get a bowlful of Dickios with cream. :)

DAMN iNATOR
05-03-2014, 01:28 AM
JYD came out to Another One bites the dust.

On the WWE 50 DVD, they talk about Sgt. Slaughter handing Vince, Sr. a tape recording of the Marine Corps theme and asking him to play it when he (Slaughter) went out for his match, and that was way back in like the 70s. Very cool story.

Seth82
05-03-2014, 03:07 AM
Awful.

Come on.

Clearly im fucking with you, but awful? He was a major world champion in a time of top workers. I guarantee you that if I hadnt said what I did and his name came up you would hipster cock jerk about how awesome he was. You are trying way too hard.

certainly not.

I've always thought he was awful.

He was only champion for all of 9 days. Transitional champion so that a face Bruno didn't have to wrestle a face Pedro Morales. Just my guess anyway.

You seriously talked about a 50 year old Eaton being an asset on these forums and legit just called Stasiak Awful

You need to die Seth

gee thanks.

I'm not the one who said that. DLVH likely said he was an asset.

I'm smart enough to know an old broken down Bobby Eaton is no use anymore to the business.

Seth82
05-03-2014, 03:12 AM
On the WWE 50 DVD, they talk about Sgt. Slaughter handing Vince, Sr. a tape recording of the Marine Corps theme and asking him to play it when he (Slaughter) went out for his match, and that was way back in like the 70s. Very cool story.

Slaughter didn't arrive to the WWE til 1980.

He likely started using it around that time 1980-81.

Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy teamed up first without Buddy and were using Freebird in 1979 IIRC.

Mr. Nerfect
05-04-2014, 01:13 AM
There have been times I have marked out for Hogan, and I didn't even watch in the Attitude era! I even went out and bought Hulk Still Rules back in the day. He sells, I'll tell you that.

DAMN iNATOR
05-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Slaughter didn't arrive to the WWE til 1980.

He likely started using it around that time 1980-81.

Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy teamed up first without Buddy and were using Freebird in 1979 IIRC.

He said on the DVD that he brought a cassette tape to Vince, Sr. for his first tryout match in Allentown, PA in November '79. Vince, Sr. asked him what it was, Slaughter told him it was the Marine Corps song, Vince, Sr. asked him what he wanted done with it and Slaughter told him to play it during his entrance that night.

Seth82
05-06-2014, 12:01 PM
He said on the DVD that he brought a cassette tape to Vince, Sr. for his first tryout match in Allentown, PA in November '79. Vince, Sr. asked him what it was, Slaughter told him it was the Marine Corps song, Vince, Sr. asked him what he wanted done with it and Slaughter told him to play it during his entrance that night.

well he obviously forgot.

Wrestling Data has no records for him in 1979.

It shows his first WWE date as July 29th 1980. He had a tryout with them on July 29th and August 6th. He returned and started in Oct. 1980.

He was still working for AWA in Nov. 1979.

Curd
05-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Seth82 is rockin' the thread with his laser accuracy! :y:

DAMN iNATOR
05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
well he obviously forgot.

Wrestling Data has no records for him in 1979.

It shows his first WWE date as July 29th 1980. He had a tryout with them on July 29th and August 6th. He returned and started in Oct. 1980.

He was still working for AWA in Nov. 1979.

I know all that, but probably the reason for the fact that there's no record of it is that it was a tryout match. They actually showed footage on the DVD, including the production screen showing that it happened November 13, 1979 in Allentown, PA.