PDA

View Full Version : GREATEST MOMENTS IN TELEVISION HISTORY CLIP #IV “ALL IN THE FAMILY” FEBRUARY 19, 1972

thedarkness214
06-06-2014, 12:05 PM
http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/greatest-moments-television-history-clip-iv/

“All in the Family” ran on CBS for 9 seasons from June 12, 1971 to August 8, 1979 (it was the #1 ranked show from 1971-1976). Ranked as the #4 Greatest Show of All-Time” by “TV Guide”, “Family” was perhaps the most cutting edge TV sitcom in the history of television, tackling issues that had never dare been discussed before through the entertainment media. You may have forgotten, but the show actually opened up with a “Warning” disclaimer in its earlier seasons.

Led by who “Bravo” labeled the “Greatest Television Character of All-Time”, Archie Bunker, “Family” dealt with race–-primarily through Archie’s persona–in a way that would be unacceptable by today’s cultural standards. However, one must remember, that this was a “sitcom”, and all was done to make the audience laugh–there was nothing hateful about the way the subject was covered.

My memories of “All in the Family” stem from not being allowed to watch it when it first aired–-I was 10 years-old at the time. I can literally remember hearing the disclaimer at the top of the show, as I hid around the corner while my parents and grandparents watched. Later in life, when I understood what the “danger” was back than, I grew to love “Archie” and “Family” as one of my all-time greats. The writing of Norman Lear, combined with the comedic genius of Carroll O’Connor as “Archie” is situation comedy writing/acting at its absolute best. Plus the fact that my Grandfather had “similar” values as those of “Archie”, when it came to the roles of husband and wife in the household. Yes—”Archie” was indeed a male chauvinistic pig!

In one of the most classic scenes of “Family”, Sammy Davis Jr’s makes a guest appearance. “TV Guide” ranked this episode as the 13th GREATEST in television history. If nothing else–-just watch closely Carrol O’Connor’s facial expressions. He was the best in the business in acting without the use of words.

<iframe width="580" height="435" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NZYPSyfsulg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(NOTE: THIS VIDEO IS NOT MEANT TO BE OFFENSIVE TO ANYONE WATCHING—IT WAS ALL DONE IN GOOD TASTE AND IN THE VEIN OF COMEDY. NOT ONLY WAS IT A DIFFERENT TIME IN OUR CULTURE, BUT OBVIOUSLY—EVEN THE LATE, GREAT, SAMMY DAVIS JR. GOT THE JOKE!)

Nicky Fives
06-10-2014, 03:34 PM
absolutely love that show... I watch reruns all the time.....definitely the best episode, except for the one where Edith goes through "the change"

Mercenary
06-12-2014, 04:25 AM
Loved this show. Than this happened

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CRj6cNDPW90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wasn't the same after.