PDA

View Full Version : If you could select any wrestler in their prime, dead or alive...

Maluco
07-04-2014, 08:59 PM
...and put them in today's WWE universe, who would it be and why? And what would be their first feud?

Seeing who the WWE has right now, I would love to see a top of his game, Kurt Angle in today's WWE. Think he is one of the great all round performers in WWE history and added so much, not just in terms of match quality, but even promo wise, and he was hilarious too. He basically had it all at his peak and could feud with so many current guys and put on great matches.

First feud wise, I would go with Rusev, having just defeated Swagger at the next PPV after a hard fought match, he comes out on RAW to degrade American athletes and talk about how inferior they are. Open challenge to the back to any American athlete who thinks they have a chance against him. Angle's music hits and you build to a Summerslam match between the two...

Thought it was topic worthy and there are enough creative people here to give us some interesting fantasy ideas and feuds...

Tazz Dan
07-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Good thread idea :y:

I'll bet back to you.

Vastardikai
07-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Bruiser Brody.

I think he'd be an interesting cog in the WWE machine at this point.

I'd introduce him with Bray Wyatt getting a note that says "I'm coming back... for you!" Wyatt, whose usually not bothered, seems genuinely freaked out. For weeks, he talks about the Brother he couldn't keep in the fold. The Brother he couldn't control. Then during a six man between the Wyatts and the Usos and Sheamus, out comes Brody, looking wild and determined. The Family eject as the big man enters the ring.

Ultimately, I know it would lead to a Brody-Harper match, and that would be the greatest big man match to have ever been dreamed up.

Bad News Gertner
07-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Been saying for a while that the WWE should develop and push an African American face. They haven't for years. That being said, the Junkyard Dog would have been amazing today. Charismatic, awesome on promos, kids love him, people can relate to him. You could pair him with anyone, although he did need someone who could work and bump. Put him with Del Rio: rich guy against JYD whose character spoke to the down in the dumps fan.

Lock Jaw
07-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Macho Man Randy Savage (alive). We really need a larger than life flashy character in today's world. First feud against Bad News Barrett in a high profile Intercontinental Title match. Really elevate the title back up to prestigious level, and bring Barrett up as well. He would obviously eventually go for the world title as well, but maybe he justifies it as that he wants to work his way up the old way, not just be handed a shot.

FourFifty
07-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Macho Man Randy Savage (alive).

You know, because a dead Randy Savage wouldn't work.

Lock Jaw
07-04-2014, 10:57 PM
It could work, to get someone some pretty incredible heel heat

FourFifty
07-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Crush or Test.

I've always liked bigger guys. They were the ones the peaked my interest. They don't need to have the one name deal doing on. "The Hired Gun" Andrew Martin seems to have a good ring to it (if he were alive). Give him a one man APA gimmick, have him start out going against the authority, and then get bought out for a heel turn.

Sepholio
07-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Raven, Kidman and Perry Saturn.

A feud between The Flock and The Wyatt Family. 'Nuff said.

Shisen Kopf
07-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Tatanka

Seth82
07-05-2014, 04:38 AM
I'll say ECW era of Taz.

http://whatistheexcel.com/wooobooru/_images/323abb26651def9b3eb1e89989926ed8/5689%20-%20ecw%20taz.png

just the way that Heyman booked him was great. He's this little shrimp of a guy that you think could kick your ass.

MMA is a much bigger deal today than it was in the 90's.

Edit: Him and Lesnar would be unstoppable as a tag team with Heyman leading them.

Nowhere Man
07-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Big Boss Man, as the real architect of the Shield.

Maluco
07-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Some interesting replies so far. Really like the Brodie angle idea, and JYD against Del Rio would be great and could really help define both characters...

Surprised no-oe has gone with Hogan, Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker. Agree with Lock Jaw about needing more out there characters, too many guys that can't stand out.

Would gimmicks like "Macho Man" hold up in today's WWE though, or would they be dated?

Had a soft spot for Bossman too, and would have actually really like that reveal :y:

Corndad
07-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Ricky Steamboat just to have him match up with guys likes Bryan, Cesaro, Punk (Assuming would come back). Can you imagine the series of matches with Steamboat in his prime against those guys? Good Lord. Look what he did WAY past it against Jericho a few Manias ago. That would be must see stuff.

I like the Macho Man return as well. I think the character would have to be tweaked a little bit but I'm picturing him as still a crazy Dean Ambrose current day type character. Also this would bring back Miss Elizabeth and she's gorgeous and pretty much perfection in her prime.

James Steele
07-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Shawn Michaels

Shawn Michaels makes everything better.

Savio
07-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Eddie Guerrero

I would also stick Brian Pillman in the attitude era

Anybody Thrilla
07-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Pillman feuding with Ambrose to see who is the more loose cannon.

Nowhere Man
07-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Bret "The Hitman" Hart: Paul Heyman Guy.

Nowhere Man
07-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Actually, you know who would be a great figurehead for the Authority? Ted DiBiase.

Also, the Divas Division would be about a thousand times better if AJ and Paige got to mix it up with a in-her-prime Alundra Blayze or Bull Nakano.

whiteyford
07-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Vader and/or Bigelow, both guys could put on some amazing matches with the talent in the locker room today or even against each other on a bigger stage.

Also Scott Norton.

Emperor Smeat
07-05-2014, 02:34 PM
"Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase

Buys his way into every good situation (ex. GM job, title matches) while also having a stable of hand picked guys willing to do his bidding for the right price.

1st real feud would be either against Bryan or Reigns.

Nowhere Man
07-05-2014, 02:41 PM
I'd love to see Psycho Sid slug it out with the Wyatt Family, especially Harper.

Shisen Kopf
07-05-2014, 04:41 PM
1997 Kane. 1993 Lex Luger, surfer sting only, biker taker and El Gigante vs Khali

Hanso Amore
07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Crush or Test.

I've always liked bigger guys. They were the ones the peaked my interest. They don't need to have the one name deal doing on. "The Hired Gun" Andrew Martin seems to have a good ring to it (if he were alive). Give him a one man APA gimmick, have him start out going against the authority, and then get bought out for a heel turn.

This is why people think you are a moron.

ANYONE EVER and you pick the two worst option ever. Test, who had two runs in recent years and failed both times not because he didnt fit in, but because he has no mic skills or charisma...and Crush, who never had a single gimmick get over.

These are your choices? My god man, they are horrible. You dont even have a good reason. Your Reason is "Cause they are big". So of all the big men ever how did you land on these two? How in your opinion are they any different than Tryton, Festus, Dan Rodimer, Brakkus, Ron Reis, or any other crap jobber big man?

Hanso Amore
07-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Been saying for a while that the WWE should develop and push an African American face. They haven't for years. That being said, the Junkyard Dog would have been amazing today. Charismatic, awesome on promos, kids love him, people can relate to him. You could pair him with anyone, although he did need someone who could work and bump. Put him with Del Rio: rich guy against JYD whose character spoke to the down in the dumps fan.

Fourfifty, pay attention to this. Gertner picks a great talent, and explains in detail why he thinks this would be a good fit, what he thinks would translate to today, and what he would do in a gimmick that makes sense.

This is a great post.

Not "I like big guys, just have them steal someone elses gimmick and then do the same thing most of the company is doing now".

Hanso Amore
07-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Vader and/or Bigelow, both guys could put on some amazing matches with the talent in the locker room today or even against each other on a bigger stage.

Also Scott Norton.

Tread lightly. We have Norton in common, but ive been pimping him as my main man since 2005...You are in Hanso territory now SON

Hanso Amore
07-05-2014, 07:17 PM
At first I was thinking Nikita Koloff. Get a real russian nightmare with Lana. He was terrifying to me as a child. He was a beast of a man with personality and top notch ring skills. Can you imagine him going 20 minutes with Ziggler bumping for him? But Its just to cliche with Rusev going now, and just makes me miss Nikita.

Someone already said Vader, who I thinks style would get over huge today, and he could be a monster heel against just about any face. Cena, Ambrose, Reigns, Bryan. The matches would be epic. Give him a manager like Heyman and you made a million bucks.

But my choice is a tag team. The Legion of Doom. Put the straps on the Wyatts and set the LOD loose on them. While Bray could do the talking for Harper and Rowan (Harper is good on the stick IMHO but his character doesnt really fit to be the voice of the team) and they would have great promos with the LOD who would get over with their larger than life personas. The matches would be slugfests. Two Powerhouses vs two big country hosses. And a theme song with an iconic intro is huge today. Imagine all 3 wyatts beating down Y2J when all of a sudden "OHHHHHHHH WHAT A RUSH" blares. Would blow the roof off arenas.

Mr. Nerfect
07-05-2014, 07:28 PM
My answers are going to be a bit predictable. Shawn Michaels is the first guy I think of. Probably the best wrestler ever, if you're going on an objective scale, and he'd be so intriguing during this Authority/Daniel Bryan stuff. Would he align with his protoge or his best friend? HBK vs. anybody is money, too.

Then you've got Kurt Angle and Eddie Guerrero. A prime Angle aligned with either Paul Heyman or Zeb Colter today? That would be great stuff. Eddie Guerrero would just be great matches and fun moments. I've forever been pitching the idea of a working class Hispanic babyface to clash with Alberto Del Rio -- usually with Hunico being my suggestion -- but a babyface Eddie Guerrero facing off with Del Rio? Even if they just inserted Eddie into random tag teams -- they'd all probably get over. I'd like to see Eddie go to that serious level against Bray Wyatt too. And, this answer might seem weird to some, but Eddie Guerrero and John Cena clashing over different ideological values (Eddie lying, cheating and stealing and Cena being all pure and loyal) would be an intriguing face vs. face match.

Really love Gertner's answer of JYD for a feud with Del Rio.

You also can't go wrong with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin returning and Stunning everybody in The Authority would be a huge moment, and Austin has the dynamic to play against pretty much anybody and make it interesting. Austin vs. Ambrose? Austin could win that match and then call Ambrose the "craziest sonbitch he's ever been in the ring with" and Ambrose would be a million times more credible instantly. Austin could get gritty with The Wyatt Family or make fun of Bryan, despite it being obviously there is respect there.

Mr. Nerfect
07-05-2014, 07:29 PM
And, I am actually serious when I suggest this: Kharma. I'm one of those nerds that wants to see women's wrestling be taken seriously, and Kharma would instantly boost the credibility of the division. Her mixing it up with Paige and AJ Lee would draw mainstream attention, in my opinion. Well, it could if it were handled right.

Maluco
07-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Another one I thought of, can you imagine a face Jake Roberts taking on the Wyatt family, or a heel Roberts taking on the current Dean Ambrose character. Both would be amazing feuds before they even had a match. Good story telling goes missing sometimes today, think those two feuds would be gold from a promo/storytelling standpoint.

Agree totally with Legion of Doom too, would be an amazing focal point for the tag division...

Maluco
07-05-2014, 09:28 PM
One more would the the Hart Foundation (Bret, Owen, Bulldog, Pillman (injury free), Neidhart), especially if we went back to last year when the Shield were still around. Loved that version of the group and think Bret had his best period on the mic during this stage of his career.

Lots of potential for 3 vs 3 matches, Owen/Rollins, Pillman/Ambrose, Bulldog/Reigns, Bret/anyone. You could get a year out of a feud like that, and that's before you even think about the Wyatt's, Evolution or an American faction with Zeb. Think if the answer could be stretched to a whole stable, that would 100% be my pick thinking about it now.

Shisen Kopf
07-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Mr Perfect vs Wade Barrett would be a-ok

The Whole F'n Show
07-06-2014, 03:28 AM
I'll say ECW era of Taz.

http://whatistheexcel.com/wooobooru/_images/323abb26651def9b3eb1e89989926ed8/5689%20-%20ecw%20taz.png

just the way that Heyman booked him was great. He's this little shrimp of a guy that you think could kick your ass.

MMA is a much bigger deal today than it was in the 90's.

Edit: Him and Lesnar would be unstoppable as a tag team with Heyman leading them.

This, but tagging with Big E :y:

Brigstocke
07-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Mick Foley 96-2000.

The Wyatts spend months messing up HHH's plans to get the title back on one his 'guys' He books them in a series of matches against his guys that crazier and More Sadistic as time moves on... Then HHH Snaps and he says theres only one man he knows who can play the Wyatts at that kind of game..

MANKIND, CACTUS JACK, MICK FOLEY, The Craziest man to ever face HHH is now under his employ to deal with the Wyatts.. The one man who will go further than it takes, With no regard for his body or his health.

BEST FEUD EVER ensues.

THE END

Blonde Moment
07-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Since he was a wrestler at one time I am going to have to say Bobby Heenan. The man is gold on the microphone, put him with Ziggler, Adr or better yet Heath Slater!

MoFo
07-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Prime heel Ric Flair, because Cena hasnt really had a top antagonist since the Edge feud.