PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Week: What kind of authority/management do you prefer?

Poit
11-13-2014, 12:27 PM
TLP Question Of The Week:

Right now we have a range of authority figures in wrestling, from The Authority ruling Raw with an iron, retributive fist, to William Regal just sitting there letting wrestlers make their own matches. What form of management do you prefer, and why?

Big Vic
11-13-2014, 01:00 PM
I prefer 1 neutral/fair but not over-saturating the product like having there own segments that drone on, etc just there to make an announcement or create a tag team match if something gets outta hand.

Ruien
11-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Mick Foley.

loopydate
11-13-2014, 02:26 PM
I haven't seen it in a long time, but I miss the Jack Tunney-style authority figure. You know he's there, but when he shows up, it's because shit's about to go down. Otherwise, he kinda lets the inmates run the asylum.

Innovator
11-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Honestly, I want no authority figure. It's been played out and Vince did it best 16 YEARS AGO. It's time for a fresh concept, not one heel authority bleeds into a neutral into a heel.

FourFifty
11-13-2014, 02:29 PM
President Jack Tunney
He didn't get involved much. He came off as a business man and not a wrestler. You didn't have to see him every week, so when you saw him you KNEW something was happening. He could keep his distance, and his authority.
From a kayfabe stand point, look at how often people come and go in power. They get greedy, they want the spot light, and they don't last. Jack Tunney held his power for over a decade.

.......How is this man not in the Hall of Fame yet?

Anybody Thrilla
11-13-2014, 02:55 PM
I prefer the Jack Tunney style as well. The heel authority often lacks consistency. They'll book a twelve-on-one handicap match against a face that they don't like, and the next segment will be a Santa's Little Helper battle royale with Charles Barkley as the guest referee. I don't see how one person could want both of those things, you know?

Shisen Kopf
11-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Commissioner Slaughter

Anybody Thrilla
11-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Booker T wasn't bad, either.

Simple Fan
11-13-2014, 03:21 PM
Cole reading off a lap top at ringside.

Crippla
11-13-2014, 03:41 PM
I like the old commissioner/GM days where they were involved to a point but not like the ridiculousness of today's Raw with the authority

#1-norm-fan
11-13-2014, 04:22 PM
The Authority-type is not only overdone but it leads to lazy booking. Face pisses off authority, authority puts face in unfair situations, repeat. I definitely prefer a more Jack Tunney style. It means the stories and the face's dire situations have to come from a more creative place between the wrestlers and not "I have power and don't like you, therefore you're fucked."

Savio
11-16-2014, 03:59 PM
I think if you do have a heel in charge you also need a fave authority figure to avoid moments like these:

http://youtu.be/WcWPTfmQW7M?t=8m23s

Vickie was just fired 1 week prior for putting Reigns in a 8 man championship match.