PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION: Underrated Rivalries

James Steele
11-23-2014, 01:10 PM
What are some rivalries/feuds that you enjoyed and remember fondly, but are generally lost in the shuffle compared to the "iconic" feuds of their eras.

For me, it is the Flair/HHH feud in 2005. They had brutal matches that were so full of emotion, violence, and intensity. Triple H was trying to put a former idol who had become happy with his own mediocrity and Ric Flair was trying to show he is far from a rusty hood ornament. "Epic" gets thrown around a lot, but this feud truly lived up to that word.

SlickyTrickyDamon
11-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Goldberg/Bam Bam Bigelow. Was sort of lost in the shuffle with Goldberg being the champ. Bam Bam as the rogue guy trying to be a bad ass and running in to get him.

Bad News Gertner
11-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Is it a rivalry when the end result was always "HHH wins"

erickman
11-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Goldberg/Bam Bam Bigelow. Was sort of lost in the shuffle with Goldberg being the champ. Bam Bam as the rogue guy trying to be a bad ass and running in to get him.

i loved that fued bam-bam out in the parking lot chanting goldberg goldberg then sandman ruined it by doing the same thing to bam-bam

Lock Jaw
11-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Chris Jericho vs. Christian.

Just the slow build to it with Trish/Lita and then Trish turning on Jericho at Mania XX.... was perfect and awesome.... Lots of other stuff happening at that Mania that tends to overshadow it, though....

One of my fav moments in rassling, though....

Mercenary
11-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Though I found both rather boring, but Ronnie Garvin vs Greg the Hammer

Emperor Smeat
11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Chris Jericho Vs Dean Malenko. Leaning towards that as my favorite Jericho feud from WCW. Had its share of jokes such as Jericho's 1004 Moves list and great moments such as the crowd going crazy when Malenko outsmarted Jericho.

Franchise
11-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Hulk Hogan v The Wall lol. That had potential....

Hanso Amore
11-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Chris Jericho Vs Dean Malenko. Leaning towards that as my favorite Jericho feud from WCW. Had its share of jokes such as Jericho's 1004 Moves list and great moments such as the crowd going crazy when Malenko outsmarted Jericho.

This is viewed by many as some of jerichos greatest work, and definitely the best of deans career...not sure if I would call this under rated.

Sting vs Rick Rude...never mentioned, but was both of their primes. Great stuff.

Hanso Amore
11-23-2014, 05:27 PM
What are some rivalries/feuds that you enjoyed and remember fondly, but are generally lost in the shuffle compared to the "iconic" feuds of their eras.

For me, it is the Flair/HHH feud in 2005. They had brutal matches that were so full of emotion, violence, and intensity. Triple H was trying to put a former idol who had become happy with his own mediocrity and Ric Flair was trying to show he is far from a rusty hood ornament. "Epic" gets thrown around a lot, but this feud truly lived up to that word.

This was in my opinion HHH best feud post 2004. He had a great run with hbk and Batista then this was a huge highlight. Nothing after that is close, even the ORTON stuff.

#1-norm-fan
11-23-2014, 05:37 PM
The feud between MVP and Matt Hardy back in '07 is one of my favorite mid-card feuds ever. They were able to keep the heat going and build up drama slowly over the better part of a year while barely getting physical with each other. It felt like old school long-term storytelling.

Seth82
11-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Ric Flair vs Tully Blanchard/Wahoo McDaniel

I thought a heel Wahoo had potential. Him and Tuly were an underrated duo for 1984.

amazingly enough Flair was feuding with the man who would become a big part of the Horsemen just a year later.

it was during this feud that Ric cuts one of my favorite promos ever.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cWZI2cBEy2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Vic
11-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Hulk Hogan v The Wall lol. That had potential....
I'll bring my A-game next time.

Franchise
11-24-2014, 12:00 PM
I'll bring my A-game next time.

It had the makings of an epic feud; The Wall stood on a hotel roof miles away and Hogan able to see him with his telescopic vision....without a telescope!

Helmsphere
11-24-2014, 12:05 PM
The Edge/Kurt Angle fued from 2002. To me, that was perhaps the hottest thing on the planet at the time. it might not be over-rated or even able to be really mentioned because it actually overshadowed other fueds at the time such as Hogan/Taker for the WWE Title, and Jericho/HHH

Ruien
11-24-2014, 12:32 PM
The feud between MVP and Matt Hardy back in '07 is one of my favorite mid-card feuds ever. They were able to keep the heat going and build up drama slowly over the better part of a year while barely getting physical with each other. It felt like old school long-term storytelling.

So this.

Nowhere Man
11-24-2014, 02:21 PM

:y: The feud that made me a wrestling fan.

Also, I don't hear a whole lot of people giving love to Undertaker vs. Edge leading up to WM24, and that was one of my favorite Streak-based feuds ever, so I'll give that the nod as well.

Nark Order
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Edge/Hardy was one of my favorites ever.

Nowhere Man
11-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Oh, and Jericho/Mysterio in '09 for the Intercontinental Title. That one was badass.

Lock Jaw
12-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Cody Rhodes/Rey Mysterio.... still think they had match of the night at Wrestlemania 27.

Anybody Thrilla
12-13-2014, 03:20 AM
Chuck Palumbo and Jamie Noble had a very nice feud on Smackdown involving Michelle McCool, resulting in a double turn. It was just done so very well, but I'm not sure who was even watching it.

No, seriously. It was great.

I also tend to remember The Undertaker and Kurt Angle having really great matches together, but I can't remember much of the feud fiber, so maybe it was just that.

Rammsteinmad
12-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Since it never really gets brought up, the CM Punk/Daniel Bryan/Kane/AJ Lee angle which started off as Punk vs. Bryan and kinda led to Team Hell No etc was pretty amazing and completely unpredictable.

Lock Jaw
12-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Dolph Ziggler also had a nice little TV-only feud with CM Punk or Daniel Bryan. Maybe both. Can't remember which one.

Just remember they had a series of excellent matches.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Punk had a Royal Rumble title match against him.

Ultra Mantis
12-13-2014, 05:58 PM
Curtis/Bateman

Lock Jaw
12-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Tyson Kidd/Yoshi Tatsu over Yoshi Tatsu's action figure

Nark Order
12-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Benoit/Regal on Velocity was insane.

The Condor
12-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Say what you want about quality, but the Dawn Marie-Torrie Wilson feud over Al Wilson is one of the most tasteless, bizarre and terrible feuds ever. But I loved it, I ate it up and 12 years later I'm still talking about it.

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Noble Vs. Regal/Layla.

Helmsphere
12-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Noble v. Hurricane was another small fued I liked, granted it was over Nidia, but it lead to a pretty good match at KOTR 2002

SlickyTrickyDamon
12-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Was going to say that one too but didn't want so much Noble.

screech
12-13-2014, 08:57 PM
If anything, we need more Noble.

Mr. Nerfect
12-15-2014, 06:42 AM
Jamie Noble vs. Chuck Palumbo on SmackDown was a great sleeper feud. The double-turn they did was brilliant. I'm so glad Noble has got an on-air role with the company again. Would love to see him actually in the ring again, if he is willing and able. Noble vs. Mercury would actually be an intriguing PPV match now. I would also like to see them go for the Tag Team Titles.

Mr. Nerfect
12-15-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure this is considered underrated, but CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy over the World Heavyweight Title is probably one of my favorite feuds ever. The dynamic there was so good. If both guys ever returned to the company, I would love to see them pick-up where they left off.