PDA

View Full Version : Who do you look back differently now?

Maluco
12-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Just watching back Summerslam 90 and the whole build up, and Earthquake looks like a monster and is booked so well up to the match. He really impressed me and really looked the part. A perfect monster heel.

His promos suited his character, his finisher was over, he looked good in the ring (agile with a good moveset) and he really deserved to go over here and maybe even get the title at some stage. I always liked him, but never realised how talented he was when he was younger. We recently had a giant thread, and I would love and Earthquake type heel in 2014.

Who do you look back on (maybe on the network), and appreciate much more looking back now than you did at the time?

whiteyford
12-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Probably the Bossman during his Corporation run, looking back he was the ideal jobber to the stars for that angle, big enough name/legacy he could be taking seriously and not overly damaged by his losses, at the time I just liked him knocking fuck outta guys with the night stick.

screech
12-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Agree with Bossman 100p. Always saw him as the "goon" who lost a bunch, but now I realize he was actually a pretty credible ahole. Plus nightstick

Another guy is Road Dogg, singles competitor version. Never took him seriously or wanted him to win ever, but he was over as fuck and really good.

Thanks, Network!

Bad News Gertner
12-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Been watching a lot of mid-80's WWF and realizing how talented Leaping Lanny Poffo was. Dude was pulling off swantons, moonsaults and hurracaranas in fucking 1986 in the WWF where most wrestlers wouldn't leave their feet.

Bad News Gertner
12-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Posted this before, but I can't believe how over the Oddities with ICP were during their brief WWF run

Lock Jaw
12-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Hulk Hogan. Wasn't super into him when I was a kid, thought he was cool in the middle of the height of the nWo, and then couldn't stand him after that.

Looking back though, on everything he has done or was involved in, and he was amazing.

FourFifty
12-07-2014, 02:00 PM
"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair's first WWE run.
When this was new and fresh, the little kid version of FourFifty had no clue who this guy was, or why he was such a big deal. Why is this newcomer who does a weird looking finisher (I was not aware of how anatomy worked, and I didn't get it when Greg Valentine did it either) being pushed with the likes of Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage? Why is this guy's fake title so legitimate?
The thing is I didn't know what I didn't know. As an adult this kind of thing would shock me if any TNA/ROH/PWG/CZW/RDW/ETC/MISC champion would appear on WWE tv claiming to be the "real" champion. I should have found Flair to be much more compelling, and I should have been more invested in that storyline. It's just my lack of industry knowledge made his hype a moot point for me.

Emperor Smeat
12-07-2014, 04:02 PM
"Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase

Wasn't that big of a fan as a kid since I preferred cheering for the good guys but years later started to appreciate him a lot more. Loved learning that his rich man gimmick was actually real since Vince would hand him wads of extra cash to spend in public just to keep the kayfabe image alive.

Maluco
12-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Been watching a lot of mid-80's WWF and realizing how talented Leaping Lanny Poffo was. Dude was pulling off swantons, moonsaults and hurracaranas in fucking 1986 in the WWF where most wrestlers wouldn't leave their feet.

Absolutely agree on this one. Was on a PPV in 89, think it was Summerslam, his only PPV match as a wrestler I think, and you could see glimpses of how quickly he moved etc...

No idea why he wasn't used more as an in ring personality. Would be interesting to hear why...

Bad News Gertner
12-07-2014, 08:48 PM
On the other hand, looking back, Tito Santana was awful. His interviews were the worst. He'd stammer through half of it, lose track of what he was saying, and then speak in Spanish. Plus, his matches consisted of arm work with said work never factoring into the finish. Ever.

Ol Dirty Dastard
12-08-2014, 12:46 AM
tito was indeed boring as fuck

The Condor
12-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Watching any older ECW material immediately shows that the promotion's glowing reputation 15 years later is completely dependent on a few spots, very of its time action/story lines, and some good characters. It's tough to watch it now and hold the opinion of ECW being anything other than a simple alternative to WWF + WCW.

As for a positive look back, I have come around on Doink. The evil clown gimmick was pure genius, in my opinion.

Bad News Gertner
12-08-2014, 11:08 AM
That character was fantastic

whiteyford
12-08-2014, 12:36 PM
ECW was always hit and miss, it's like the Attitude Era the vast majority of that is fucking dire watching back but a lot of gems that still hold up today.