PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Week: Which retired championship would you like to see brought back?

Poit
01-07-2015, 10:28 PM
TLP Question Of The Week:

Which retired championship would you like to see brought back, and why?

Poit
01-07-2015, 10:33 PM
(<strike>Ripped off from</strike> Inspired by this (http://www.wwe.com/inside/polls/which-retired-title-would-you-want-back) wwe.com poll)

VSG
01-07-2015, 10:44 PM
So much originality. Hardcore title.

Shisen Kopf
01-07-2015, 11:15 PM
The wcw television title. Arn Anderson can call these matches.

Big Vic
01-08-2015, 08:41 AM
The can't even book the titles they have now right, IC champ loses every week for no reason. (Although The US title is in better shape now being with Rusev.)

erickman
01-08-2015, 09:01 AM
The wcw television title. Arn Anderson can call these matches.

yeah i go for the tv belt, as long as it gets defended on tv unlike abyss and his tv belt.

Simple Fan
01-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Yea TV title.

screech
01-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Hardcore. I was always entertained by those matches.

drave
01-08-2015, 01:32 PM
HC for sure. Fighting around the arena led to more unpredictable moments than anything else.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-08-2015, 01:45 PM
TV title but re-name it the WWE Network title. It gets defended either on PPVs, NXT, Main Event or Superstars. Any show that is on the WWE Network.

Emperor Smeat
01-08-2015, 05:18 PM
European title. Liked the design of the title with the variety of flags on the side and worked well as a compliment to the IC title at the time.

Ideally would drop the US title to make space for the European title. IC title would go back to its original role of also acting as the midcard championship for the US.

Destor
01-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Ummmm...none? They have too many as is.

#1-norm-fan
01-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Cruiserweight.

If you think about it, guys like Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel are fighting for the same ultimate goal as John Cena and Brock Lesnar. That's ridiculous. I'm not saying every little guy would have to be stuck in the cruiserweight division simply because of their weight but think of how talented guys like Yoshi Tatsu and Evan Bourne became disposable. They were never gonna be more than jobbers for the real stars/future stars. Why not let them put on stellar matches and actually have a division that they can make it to the top of by winning it's title? Every week on Raw and Smackdown you take one segment that would usually be a typically be a throwaway mattch and now suddenly you can replace it with a great MEANINGFUL match where two great wrestlers who would usually have nothing to do are battling over a title that's been held by the likes of Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero.

Razzamajazz
01-08-2015, 09:31 PM
hardcore of course. it was entertaining with the 24/7 rule and whatnot

screech
01-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Cruiserweight.

If you think about it, guys like Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel are fighting for the same ultimate goal as John Cena and Brock Lesnar. That's ridiculous. I'm not saying every little guy would have to be stuck in the cruiserweight division simply because of their weight but think of how talented guys like Yoshi Tatsu and Evan Bourne became disposable. They were never gonna be more than jobbers for the real stars/future stars. Why not let them put on stellar matches and actually have a division that they can make it to the top of by winning it's title? Every week on Raw and Smackdown you take one segment that would usually be a typically be a throwaway mattch and now suddenly you can replace it with a great MEANINGFUL match where two great wrestlers who would usually have nothing to do are battling over a title that's been held by the likes of Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero.

I like this. Always in favor of giving guys meaningful stuff to do.

Wishbone
01-08-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm on board with fan's Cruiserweight idea. The other titles are all pretty interchangeable, but having a Cruiserweight division could really add something to the show, and give a lot of great workers a shot at accomplishing something and maybe one day even surpassing it like Eddie, Rey, etc did. Of course WWE would fuck it up and probably have El Torito and Hornswoggle fight over it instead...

Maluco
01-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Honestly, the World Heavyweight Title (counting it as retired because the combined version seems to have WWE title lineage).

I miss having a choice of two title feuds to get into. If I didn't fancy one feud, there was always a chance that I would enjoy the match/feud of the other title.

This would be the place to start someone like Reigns, Ryback, Ziggler etc... and guage how they are as champions, while having someone more stable hold the WWE title.

JimmyMess
01-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Hardcore Championship with the 24/7 rule.... complete with consistent Steve Blackman appearances.

JimmyMess
01-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Honestly, the World Heavyweight Title (counting it as retired because the combined version seems to have WWE title lineage).

I miss having a choice of two title feuds to get into. If I didn't fancy one feud, there was always a chance that I would enjoy the match/feud of the other title.

This would be the place to start someone like Reigns, Ryback, Ziggler etc... and guage how they are as champions, while having someone more stable hold the WWE title.

That's what the IC belt and US belt are for. There should only be one champion, and the guy who is champion should be ready for it. If you're not ready to be champion, you shouldn't be champion!

CHAMPION.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-09-2015, 10:23 AM
There were so many championships during the the most popular era and they changed hands regularly.

The Condor
01-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Hardcore Title, with updated match layouts and spots.

Mr. Nerfect
01-09-2015, 08:01 PM
I don't like the Cruiserweight Title idea, just because guys like Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler are technically cruiserweights. Why can they go for the World Title but Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara can't? It becomes a jobber title.

Mr. Nerfect
01-09-2015, 08:03 PM
If I had to vote for a title be brought back, I'd honestly go with the Intercontinental Tag Team Championship. Have Tyson Kidd and Cesaro bring those titles out, then have them try and compete to make them mean more than the WWE Tag Team Championship. The Usos and The Ascension seem destined to have a clash over those sets of belts, so have Cesaro/Kidd work with The New Day and Los Matadores over the alternate Tag Titles.

McLegend
01-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Western States Heritage

Fignuts
01-09-2015, 10:26 PM
I don't like the Cruiserweight Title idea, just because guys like Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler are technically cruiserweights. Why can they go for the World Title but Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara can't? It becomes a jobber title.

Yeah, guys like Jericho have said that the cruiserweight title might give those guys something to fight for, it also makes it much harder for them to achieve any success outside of that division.

I don't care about small guys fighting big guys, because that is one of the less ridiculous aspects of wrestling, tbh.

#1-norm-fan
01-09-2015, 11:59 PM

They can go for the title and Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara can't because they're at that level and Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara aren't. How does giving them a title to fight for make them less jobbers than they already are. Was this a big issue for you when the cruiserweight title was around while Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero were in the world title scene? How is that any different?

It's no more of a jobber title that the IC or US titles which literally say "You're the second/third best champion" while this one says "You are THE king of this division."

Tom Guycott
01-10-2015, 02:06 AM
Both the Saskatchewan Hardcore International Title and the 100 Kilos And Under Title

Mr. Nerfect
01-10-2015, 01:31 PM
They can go for the title and Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara can't because they're at that level and Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara aren't. How does giving them a title to fight for make them less jobbers than they already are. Was this a big issue for you when the cruiserweight title was around while Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero were in the world title scene? How is that any different?

It's no more of a jobber title that the IC or US titles which literally say "You're the second/third best champion" while this one says "You are THE king of this division."

When Benoit, Jericho and Guerrero were in the World Title scene, they were outside the Cruiserweight Division weight limit. And it absolutely bothered me when, for example, Rey Mysterio was the World Champion on SmackDown whilst Gregory Helms was the Cruiserweight Champion and they never did an angle where Helms claimed he was the best wrestler 220lbs or under, so he needs to beat Rey Mysterio to make his title mean anything.

Being the king of the division means nothing if guys that should be in your division are too good for it and fighting in the main event. I mean, you said it yourself: Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara aren't at that level. Why would people take the division seriously if everyone knows that?

#1-norm-fan
01-10-2015, 08:39 PM
When Benoit, Jericho and Guerrero were in the World Title scene, they were outside the Cruiserweight Division weight limit.

That's just not true. They absolutely 100% were not.

And it absolutely bothered me when, for example, Rey Mysterio was the World Champion on SmackDown whilst Gregory Helms was the Cruiserweight Champion and they never did an angle where Helms claimed he was the best wrestler 220lbs or under, so he needs to beat Rey Mysterio to make his title mean anything.

Being the king of the division means nothing if guys that should be in your division are too good for it and fighting in the main event. I mean, you said it yourself: Tyson Kidd and Sin Cara aren't at that level. Why would people take the division seriously if everyone knows that?

You're stuck on the weight thing. What if they did what TNA does and called it something like the X-Division title? Would that make all the difference to you? It's semantics. You can be in the weight range and not be in the division. It's fine. It's happened A LOT. Just like Chyna was not fighting in the women's division for most of her run. Did that make Trish or Lita being women's champion meaningless? No. She just... wasn't in the division. And most people didn't get anal about how it diminished the division meant for women.

#1-norm-fan
01-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Basically the title doesn't need to exist to specifically say "I am literally the top guy in this specific weight range". It never really did. It exists to say "I am the best of all the guys in this division". And if that division is full of a bunch of guys who are getting TV time, putting on awesome competitive matches against each other and looking strong, the division will be taken seriously.

Mr. Nerfect
01-10-2015, 10:03 PM
That's just not true. They absolutely 100% were not.

It is true. Chris Jericho was billed as being 227lbs. Chris Benoit was billed as being 229lbs. Eddie Guerrero was billed as 228lbs. Were they actually that weight? I'm not sure. Could they have been billed as lighter? Sure. Could the Cruiserweight Division have had its 230lbs weight limit re-instated? Absolutely. But as a historical point, the only one I think you could make a kayfabe point for is possibly Chris Benoit when he became the WCW Champion towards the end of his run there.

You're stuck on the weight thing. What if they did what TNA does and called it something like the X-Division title? Would that make all the difference to you? It's semantics. You can be in the weight range and not be in the division. It's fine. It's happened A LOT. Just like Chyna was not fighting in the women's division for most of her run. Did that make Trish or Lita being women's champion meaningless? No. She just... wasn't in the division. And most people didn't get anal about how it diminished the division meant for women.

Just to nit-pick, Trish Stratus only became the Women's Champion in the post-Chyna era, but I get your point. I am stuck on the weight thing, because I do think it is an issue. Look at how poorly the WWE handles its IC and US Champions for the most part. It wouldn't surprise me to see Diego win the Cruiserweight Title, then be squashed by Big Show the following night for no reason at all. And I do think that it will create a "size matters" view of smaller guys like Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan -- whose styles, admittedly, have never screamed "cruiserweight" to me.

If in a perfect world, they absolutely could book a division around a high-flying style. They actually did a pretty intriguing rivalry between Justin Gabriel, Sin Cara which briefly included Kofi Kingston on Superstars a few months back. If WWE purchased TNA, I'd love to see them keep the X-Division Title alive for a while. But they could also book feuds based on the style a wrestler works without there needing to be a title, and they just haven't done that. If enough high-flying rivalries are established that bringing the Cruiserweight Title back makes perfect sense, I'll be the first on-board with you. It's just something that I don't think fits at the moment.

When The Shield were having awesome six-man tag team matches every week, and there were rival groups trying to face them -- Evolution, The Wyatt Family, John Cena & The Usos -- I think they technically could have introduced a set of Six-Man Tag Team Titles for The Shield to hold, and trade back and forth between the aforementioned groups. But can you imagine if those titles were around now? You probably wouldn't have split up The Wyatt Family, but their chief rivals at the moment would be The New Day and Los Matadores & El Torito. Sometimes you just don't need titles.