PDA

View Full Version : Talking Point of the Week: How does WWE recover from the Rumble?

Poit
01-26-2015, 10:26 PM
TLP Talking Point of the Week:

What is the easiest way for WWE to rebound from the Royal Rumble fallout and save face in time for Wrestlemania?

Franchise
01-26-2015, 10:29 PM
If people are that upset about Bryan then easiest solution would be a 4 way match for the title or an Elimination Chamber match at WM.

I would like to see the latter given the PPV itself has been shelved and I think it would be a great way to include several of the "top" stars in a main event.

Bray Wyatt v Undertaker would be terrible to watch

Simple Fan
01-26-2015, 11:52 PM
Nothing they don't need to save face. They have a good match for WM.

Lock Jaw
01-27-2015, 12:04 AM
At Fastlane, Paul Heyman TURNS on Brock Lesnar and joins Roman Reigns! Changing the whole dynamic for the match, as the face Brock Lesnar goes up against Roman Reigns who now has the mouthpiece and brains of Paul Heyman behind him!

Lock Jaw
01-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Even better idea:

Brock Lesnar kills Roman Reigns before Wrestlemania at the behest of The Authority. Breaks both of his arms or something. It seems hopeless.... none can stop The Beast...

BUT THEN!!!

CHRISTIAN comes out of retirement! He says that he has come back for ONE MORE MATCH so he can retire the right way... by making his own Wrestlemania moment and defeating BROCK LESNAR at Wrestlemania.

He says unfortunately, one way or the other, it will be his last match... but that he will leave with the World Title around his waist and cement his legacy forever.

At Wrestlemania he defeats Brock Lesnar in the match of the century, showing a ton of guts and courage.... the fans are openly weeping as the locker room empties and hoists Christian on their shoulders....

road doggy dogg
01-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I've been out of the loop a bit with regards to pre-Rumble happenings. Is "Brock is DONE after Wrestlemania" a well-known fact, kayfabe style? i.e. do they address that on Raw and shit? Or is that just something the "smarks" know?

They could basically turn Brock heel and have him shit-talk the WWE about how he's going to a REAL organization (UFC) or whatever, and how this title is meaningless to him and he just sees this as a hobby that's beneath him. Basically make him reviled. Reigns at that point need only "be there" to oppose him to be the de facto face. Anything he does on top of that is gravy.

Mr. Nerfect
01-27-2015, 09:14 AM
I'd probably have Daniel Bryan face Brock Lesnar at Fast Lane. The idea is that Triple H offers an open contract for Sting to face Lesnar at the PPV, given Heyman's Rumble offer, and he leaves the contract for Sting to sign. The lights go off at one point, and the contract is gone.

Later in the night, Triple H wants to know if Sting has signed it. Sting comes out and says "the contract is signed." Triple H is excited because he thinks Brock is going to kill Sting, but The Icon adds that "but I have no intention of facing Brock Lesnar at Fast Lane. That's not my game anymore." Triple H (and Paul Heyman) are confused. Sting elaborates and explains that the contract was poorly worded. "It seems like anyone could sign it and get a title match against Brock." Sting reveals that he presented the contract to a man who never lost his title; a man who was injured because of The Authority; and a man he believes can beat Brock at Fast Lane. Cue Daniel Bryan.

Triple H also demands Roman Reigns put his title shot on the line at Fast Lane, to which Roman responds "Funny how you don't seem to have the balls to carry your hit out yourself." Dems fighting words, and Triple H agrees to face Reigns at Fast Lane.

Daniel Bryan wins the World Title at Fast Lane. Classic match with Brock. The fans are going nuts, and then Seth Rollins attacks Bryan and wins the World Heavyweight Title himself. Rollins vs. Bryan vs. Brock for WrestleMania. Reigns loses the title shot when Dean Ambrose (the new Intercontinental Champion...don't ask) costs him the match in a shocking moment (but not quite a full heel turn). Ambrose vs. Reigns for the Intercontinental Title at WrestleMania. Triple H vs. Sting too.

JimmyMess
01-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Stick to the match. Brock has made the transition to face, whether intended or not. Let the fans boo Reigns, and he can officially turn heel at the event, or during the build.

Shisen Kopf
01-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Make their match at WM a gimmick match. May I suggest a barb wire, baseball bat, heck in a cell (TV pg now), casket, ladder, inferno, first blood match. With heyman suspended in a cage.

Clerk
01-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Make their match at WM a gimmick match. May I suggest a barb wire, baseball bat, heck in a cell (TV pg now), casket, ladder, inferno, first blood match. With heyman suspended in a cage.

No you may not.

Shisen Kopf
01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Oh ok. I won't suggest that then

Nark Order
01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Both Lesnar and Reigns are killed in an industrial warehouse fire. Just as it looks like there will be no WM main event, DOUG BASHAM comes out and has a match with himself for the WWE Championship. The crowd is eventually drown due to too many tears of joy.

Nark Order
01-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Honestly, Reigns needs to turn heel. They cannot act like nothing is happening. Because the fans will shove it down their throats. If they continue his face run, Reigns will be eaten alive.

Innovator
01-27-2015, 11:35 AM
TLP Talking Point of the Week:

What is the easiest way for WWE to rebound from the Royal Rumble fallout and save face in time for Wrestlemania?

We drill

Ruien
01-27-2015, 11:44 AM
They have 1 ppv to get the title on Bryan basically. That is how you fix it. Or you do the unthinkable and make the title match Rollins vs. Reigns and have D Bryan and Brock main event without the title (Somehow Rollins gets a lucky cash in to get the title from Brock before Mania).

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Blow the next NXT TakeOver out of the water with a great main event.

What's the main.....Zami Zayn Vs. Kevin Owens?! :eek:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G1yVbyRJU5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big Vic
01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
I think if the WWE really wanted to get people off the "Bryan train" the should force him to get a huge Nazi tattoo.

Simple Fan
01-27-2015, 01:27 PM
You guys are going to be real pissed when Kane stuffs Bryan in a casket and we don't see him for 6 months. I believe that you guys are too invested in one character on the show. The guy main evented last year and it was horrible why try again this year.

drave
01-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Can't tell if you are trolling or not, but I will bite....

It is much more than a DB fan perspective coming out of the RR. If you would read the many threads from this site and many other opinion articles around the interwebs, you would understand this.

Simple Fan
01-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Not trying to troll or maybe I am but its just funny to see all you complaining. Now you know I felt when DB was pushed last year.

drave
01-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Oh I see.....

You were upset that DB was pushed last year. So this year's results are a DB issue for you first, and a booking issue second. Granted, there are many who share your opinion in the "WWE Universe". However, on this site, no one has been bitching SPECIFICALLY about DB losing, have they?

Thought most posters here see the big picture in that the RR event itself was shite.

Simple Fan
01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
I thought it was fine and all of you would have if Bryan would have won. Just saying its funny to see all of you complaining.

Simple Fan
01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Oh I see.....

You were upset that DB was pushed last year. So this year's results are a DB issue for you first, and a booking issue second. Granted, there are many who share your opinion in the "WWE Universe". However, on this site, no one has been bitching SPECIFICALLY about DB losing, have they?

Thought most posters here see the big picture in that the RR event itself was shite.

No issues from me I thought the rumble was good and could have only gotten better with some RKO's but the Diamond Cutters made up for it.

drave
01-27-2015, 03:39 PM
I thought it was fine and all of you would have if Bryan would have won. Just saying its funny to see all of you complaining.

Regardless if Bryan won, the RR match was still boring as fuck. The first half was Wyatt destroying people and getting on the mic to kill the "quiet time" between entrants. That was boring.

2nd half involved two of the biggest modern jobbers eliminating most of the up and coming talents (heel/face alike, does not matter) which will also amount to nothing.

Nothing came of the RR other than the title match, which is a given every year at RR.

Innovator
01-27-2015, 03:43 PM
It's not just Bryan losing. It's him and every other star who the fans are attached to (Ziggler, Ambrose, even Bray) looking like a bunch of Zack Ryders so Roman can look great tossing out two guys who were too stupid to throw him out before eliminating each other.

Simple Fan
01-27-2015, 03:43 PM
I thought it was a good rumble.

XL
01-27-2015, 05:38 PM
C'mon now. Nobody is going to believe that.

Bad News Gertner
01-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Double turn at Wrestlemania

Damian Rey
01-27-2015, 11:59 PM
The #pulse has got it right. Turn Reigns heel at Mania. It's easier to get booed. Especially if Heyman costs him the match. Hell, after that, have Rollins cash in, Hunter turns in him, endorsing Reigns, and boom, you have a new viable contender now that Brock is gone.

johnsmagic
01-28-2015, 12:06 AM
did the interview with Reigns, Brock and Heyman change peoples mind about the main event and are actually looking forward to it now ?

mitch_h
01-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Roman Reigns should just not be on TV, and then he shows up at Wrestlemania weighing 600 pounds.

mitch_h
01-28-2015, 01:22 AM
Maybe not 600 pounds, but massive, like the size of the Rock.

Damian Rey
01-28-2015, 01:35 AM
The Rock didn't look that much bigger than him, if at all, on Sunday.

Franchise
01-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Separate the belts again? At least having two belts gives us two champions, two potential main-event style matches even if the WWE title was always seen as "slightly" more prestigious.

Damian Rey
01-28-2015, 02:07 AM
Won't work. The second belt will be treated like a mid card belt, the same way it was prior.

Poit
01-28-2015, 02:49 AM
Thanks for all the responses! The latest episode of TLP is now available.

<iframe id="audio_iframe" src="http://www.podbean.com/media/player/c5w7z-536afc/initByJs/1/auto/1?skin=9" width="100%" height="100" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Nark Order
01-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Apparently Vince didn't want to put Bryan in the main event this year because it would be too similar to last year. So instead, they are going to do Bryan vs Sheamus at Wrestlemania. For the third time. Because logic.

Innovator
01-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Rock vs. Cena

Taker vs. HHH

Taker vs. HBK

Cena vs. Orton

Damian Rey
01-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Austin v Rock is another one.

Emperor Smeat
01-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Haven't listened to the podcast yet so don't know if it was said but why not Rollins vs Bryan at Fast Lane with the winner added into the WWE Title match at Mania.

Vince might not like the idea of another Triple Threat but it would quickly solve a lot of things.

Rollins has already proven himself to be good and really helped make the Rumble title feud and match be great. Bryan would ensure the crowd doesn't pull another Lesnar-Goldberg and like Rollins would really help make the feud and match be better.

Damian Rey
01-28-2015, 09:48 PM
If that happens, and Bryan wins, having Seth shit on his moment at the end of Mania and walking out champ, with now both Reigns and Bryan chasing, would be great.

Hell, have Heyman turn on Lesnar to side with Reigns, screwing Bryan out of the belt, only for Lesnar to snap, allowing Rollins to take advantage.

Mr. Nerfect
01-31-2015, 11:29 PM
I'm still thinking they should go with Brock vs. Bryan at Fast Lane. Have Bryan pin Brock for the title at Fast Lane (what better way to make it feel like this new PPV means something?) and then on RAW, Bryan is cutting a promo in the ring about how wonderful it is to be champion again. Heyman appears on the titantron, and he is talking creepily to someone. It's revealed to be Brie Bella, and Heyman is telling her how his Beast is going to end her husband's career. Daniel Bryan runs to the back, but he is jumped on the stage by Brock Lesnar, who proceeds to toss Bryan off the stage. He kicks him around the ringside area, and maybe even gives him an F5 into the ring post. He tosses Bryan back into the ring and drills him with a final F5. Seth Rollins then hits the ring, and cashes in his Money in the Bank contract on Bryan. 1-2-3...Seth Rollins is your new WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

This obviously sets up a Triple Threat, but you could also insert Randy Orton in there, as another champion who was never directly pinned and never submitted their title away -- and someone that has unfinished business with Seth Rollins. And Daniel Bryan. The only yard work that really needs to be done is giving Brock and Orton reasons to hate each other. They go back a long way; they're the youngest WWE Champion and youngest World Champion in company history...maybe Heyman can cut a promo on Orton about how this main event isn't about Seth Rollins for Randy Orton. It isn't about Daniel Bryan for Randy Orton. No, this main event is about Brock Lesnar for Randy Orton -- because he doesn't know if he can beat Brock Lesnar.

I dunno, something like that would be pretty cool to me as a fan. It could be an Elimination Match to make things more interesting. Would Bryan & Orton be able to work together long enough to stop potential teamwork from Lesnar & Rollins? If this is Brock's last match, do they have him eat the first fall? Does he make it right to the end, where he ends up tapping out to Bryan? If Brock eats the first fall, who is there right at the end with Bryan? My guess would be Seth Rollins, but Bryan vs. Orton with a face vs. face dynamic has its appeal too.

Roman Reigns gets cost his title shot by Dean Ambrose -- the man he thought he could trust. That would be a match with a personal issue bubbling underneath it strong enough to warrant a lot of time at WrestleMania. What is Ambrose's motivation? Maybe he's just annoyed that Reigns won the Royal Rumble and not him? Maybe he just wants to prove that he can beat Reigns, and he wants Reigns to be as mad at him as possible to give him his best shot? Maybe Ambrose strikes up a deal with Triple H, and he does this one hit and The Authority are off Ambrose's back for good?

Whatever it is, Ambrose ends up in the cross-hairs of Reigns at WrestleMania, furious that his "best friend" would come between him and immortality. Imagine Ambrose taking the Superman Punch, bouncing back into the ropes, hitting his see-saw clothesline, knocking Reigns back into the ropes, who then fires back with a Spear.

Reigns would win at WrestleMania, leaving Dean Ambrose to re-evaluate his decisions since Fast Lane. Does he concede that Roman Reigns is the better man at this point? Does he remain a heel? Does he become more of a heel? Does he re-affirm face status and work harder so that he can get better than Roman Reigns, and challenge him once Roman is "The Man?" Lots of storyline potential for Dean Ambrose coming out of this, and Reigns gets to go 3-0 at WrestleMania.

drave
02-02-2015, 06:02 AM
Ambrose would realign with Rollins (new champ) and help him at Mania. Ambrose would take a huge F5 on a table or something to "take him out". Rollins takes a F5 or two, and Lesnar eats a Knee +. Have a couple false finishes and/or finisher kickouts. After a few moments of all three guys being "out of it" Reigns's music hits, he comes down and takes out Lesnar (with the help of Paul Heyman) & Bryan and we have a reunited, heel Shield, with the true architect, Paul Heyman.

They may not need him as a mouthpiece, but it would be a damn good dynamic.

drave
02-02-2015, 06:03 AM
You know...... or something like that. Never done anything like this before.

Evil Vito
02-02-2015, 02:51 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Haven't read the entire thread but I'm going to try to think of something the fans would respond to without involving Bryan (because I don't believe the dirt sheets are bullshitting when they say they don't want to put Bryan in the main event again, even if he'd be the popular choice).

The Authority gives Seth Rollins another shot at the title at Fast Lane. The face announcers bitch about how it's not fair he's being given another shot without having to use his MITB. Brock wins a great match. Authority run-in after, Brock not only survives it but absolutely fucking massacres Rollins afterwards to prevent him from cashing in anytime soon.

In the coming weeks it is revealed that the Authority is realizing they made a big mistake bringing Lesnar in now that he's far beyond their control. Reigns winds up selling out as the Authority's hand picked guy since Rollins proved himself to be too unreliable, so Reigns is a heel and Lesnar moves from tweener to official face.

At WrestleMania, Lesnar's career can be on the line (to protect WWE if he leaves right after, there are ways to bring him back if he re-signs) and much like WM 17 the main event is announced as no disqualification moments before it starts. Violent brawl, weapon shots, Authority run ins, just an overbooked shitshow that would provide great drama and help mask any shortcomings Reigns might have in the ring. After Lesnar kicks out of basically everything short of a nuclear bomb, Reigns FINALLY puts him down and cements his place as the chosen one. Crowd boos the shit out of it.

Rollins' music then hits as the crowd loses their shit. Cashes in, wins the belt, and turns face in the process. WrestleMania ends on a customary high note.

Sets up Reigns/Rollins to feud throughout the spring and both guys get massively over in the process. I do LOVE Rollins as a smarmy douchebag heel and it'd be a shame to lose that, and even more sad that his hard work in the past year will lead to him basically not even wrestling at Mania, but I think the fans would love this story.</font>

Mr. Nerfect
02-02-2015, 03:26 PM
I see Vito's idea playing out really well, but I can see the WWE being too stubborn to turn Reigns heel. I could see them just going all-in with this one, and just pushing Reigns like nothing is going on. Heyman works really hard to make Reigns look vulnerable and sympathetic. Heyman can suggest that this is Reigns' one shot to break through. If he loses this match, then he loses all that mystique, and no one will believe in him anymore. Brock does some heinous shit, like beat-down The Rock, and maybe spit in the general direction of The Rock's mother, causing Reigns to snap and want to murder Brock.

Not sure how good their match will be at Mania, but Reigns wins with a Spear, and poses as the WWE Champion to close WrestleMania, perhaps as the world looks on, booing. Reigns then moves on to a feud with Bray Wyatt, and although Reigns beats Wyatt at Extreme Rules, that is where Seth Rollins cashes in, and Reigns then has his former Shield buddy to chase for the title.

Damian Rey
02-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Vito should sell the rights to that idea.

Mr. Nerfect
02-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Seth Rollins will be an awesome babyface down the line. Right now he is so good as the slimeball heel, but his ability and determination will eventually lead to an epic face run for him.

Lock Jaw
02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I think Seth was on the verge of breaking out as the biggest star after The Shield turned face. He had that "fast pace" "Daniel Bryan-esque" offense going for him combined with the penchant for jumping off high things...

I really saw the fans potentially rallying behind that.

Mr. Nerfect
02-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah, exactly. Plus, he's now proven he can play a three-dimensional character and can talk. This isn't going to be a guy like Jeff Hardy or Rob Van Dam (although equally as exciting in the ring, if not better as an overall general), where he is just sort of cool and flies around -- but he'll be able to explain his motivations. Why does he eventually sever his connection with The Authority? How does he feel about his past actions? What is his next goal? Rollins will be able to explain that all on the mic.