PDA

View Full Version : ONE ON ONE

Mr. JL
05-20-2004, 11:52 PM
The World Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit...
He certainly deserves the title, there is no disputing that fact but his title reign is falling flat. All of his matches have been great and he's kept pace with his promo's but something is missing. Perhaps a great ONE ON ONE match on a PAY PER VIEW?!

So far Chris Benoit is unproven in a ONE ON ONE situation on a PAY PER VIEW and lets face it. Great Champions have made thier mark and presence felt by winning and competing in great ONE ON ONE matches.

Look at Guerrero...
ONE ON ONE versus Brock Lesnar in the main event at No Way Out.
ONE ON ONE versus Kurt Angle in a high profile match at Wrestle Mania
ONE ON ONE versus John Bradshaw Layfield in the main event at Judgment Day.

Guerrero is absolutely great and looks like a legit main eventer. Why?
Because he's faced the best... and the worst (JBL) in great ONE ON ONE matches that have made him look like a modern day hybrid of Hart and Michaels, added with some latino heat!

Wrestle Mania XX...World Heavyweight Championship...Triple H...versus...Chris Benoit

Backlash...World Heavyweight Championship...Chris Benoit...versus...Shawn Michaels

This simple formula would have brought Chris Benoit up to Eddie Guerrero's level.

Triple H. This is a guy who claims to know everything about the business and is supposed to represent traditional wrestling. There is nothing traditional about Triple Threats. How is Benoit going to get OVER with the crowd when its a heel versus babyface versus babyface. What ever happened to the traditional HEEL versus FACE?

I don't claim to know more than Triple H, as I am just stating my opinion from my 10 years of watching and paying for wrestlers pay checks. And in my opinion as a fan, what I look for in a great and legit champion is his ability to carry the ONE ON ONE main event matches on PPV's.

Guerrero has been given ONE ON ONE matches and he's come out looking like the MAN.

Benoit has not been given ONE ON ONE matches (on PPV) and he's still relatively unproven as a worthy champion. He still looks good but he could have looked much better.

ONE ON ONE main event PPV matches = GREAT CHAMPIONS

Your thoughts on my long ramblings? Am I right? Am I wrong? BRING IT!

KillerWolf
05-22-2004, 12:08 PM
agreed. and in the one on one match against HBK it looked like Micheals had him beat before HHH interfered.

Rob
05-22-2004, 01:50 PM
You realise there is a reason why don't you?

Benoit is the best wrestler on the Raw brand and can have a good match with anyone (except Billy Gunn) so obviously he would get over more working big singles matches.

KillerWolf
05-22-2004, 02:15 PM
You realise there is a reason why don't you?

Benoit is the best wrestler on the Raw brand and can have a good match with anyone (except Billy Gunn) so obviously he would get over more working big singles matches.
:wtf: aaaaaaaaaaaaand HHH is pulling strings so that Benoit will never get a singles match and ends up looking inferior to him as a champion? :shifty:

Wondermouse
05-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Well, Benoit destroyed the Rumble, and has made both HBK and HHH tap. He'll make Kane tap, too.

Thelivinglegend
05-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Maybe putting Benoit in a main event on raw would help, without HHH interfering i mean for any of you smartasses out there.

Wildcat789
05-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Bad Blood will make both Benoit and Kane look better. But yes, I do agree with you 100% on the subject (so no, you don't have bad threads :p ). These triple threat matches make it look as if Benoit is not 'for real' because HBK was on HHH at WMXX and did all the work, and HHH had a good flurry on HBK at backlash. It made Benoit look weak, IMO.

Of course, that could quite possibly be the look the WWE wants to put on Benoit. I mean, HBK had that match won against Benoit on whatever Raw they main evented, until HHH came out and ruined HBK's day and allowed Benoit to get the win. It looks alot like the WWE doesn't want Benoit looking strong, which probably has something to do with Trips and his backstage politics.

For Benoit to have gotten over, he needed to beat HHH CLEAN. But if he were to do it now, people would just go 'meh, he beat HHH and HBK in one match, who cares about this one?'. Because of this weak booking, the crowd is behind Benoit less and less every week, and it's getting out of hand.

Maybe Bad Blood will make things better. That is, of course, if Benoit wins...
:shifty:

Thelivinglegend
05-22-2004, 04:33 PM
This is exactly why i think they gave benoit the tag team title belt, atleast now when they decide to drop him as wwe champion, he'll still have the tag team title belt, which make sme think more n more that kane will win at bad blood, and cos of the way they've made Benoit look i really don't mind seeing Kane win the title now, which makes me mad cos i really used to be a fan of Benoits, nice booking WWE you f-ucking assholes!

Mr. JL
05-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Chris Benoit's reign can still be saved but it is in jeopardy. The Triple Threat Matches from Wrestle Mania XX & Backlash were great but it doesn't prove anything because we already knew Benoit is great and can put on great matches. Now we need to see if he can truly carry his own weight in a one on one feud in the main event.

I guess now Chris Benoit has been given a program with Kane for Bad Blood and hopefully he can pull out a great outstanding matchup and show us all that in a main event atmosphere, in a one on one contest on PPV that he is the MAN.

KillerWolf
05-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Chris Benoit's reign can still be saved but it is in jeopardy. The Triple Threat Matches from Wrestle Mania XX & Backlash were great but it doesn't prove anything because we already knew Benoit is great and can put on great matches. Now we need to see if he can truly carry his own weight in a one on one feud in the main event.

I guess now Chris Benoit has been given a program with Kane for Bad Blood and hopefully he can pull out a great outstanding matchup and show us all that in a main event atmosphere, in a one on one contest on PPV that he is the MAN.
that is a good point. at wm20 and backlash, HBK and HHH had more beef with each other and Benoit was like a third wheel.

MVP
05-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Vince isn't very confident that Benoit can draw as the top babyface.

By putting more established stars such as HBK and Triple H in the main event scene the fans are more drawn toward their drawing feud, and bask in Benoit's glory without having to see him get involved in many angles.

Thelivinglegend
05-22-2004, 09:03 PM
MVP, if that's the case why is he wwe champion? Makes no sense if you make him champion but have no confidence in him, i think that's bullshit personally.

Batsu
05-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Uhh... didn't Benoit already beat HHH clean, by making him tap? It wasn't as if HBK was wearing HHH down with submission holds. Benoit had that Crossface on about 3 times before HHH finally tapped, with no outside interference.

That's what made that match so great.

MVP
05-23-2004, 12:41 AM
MVP, if that's the case why is he wwe champion? Makes no sense if you make him champion but have no confidence in him, i think that's bullshit personally.Bullshit is one of Vince McMahon's marketing strategies.

I didn't say Vince has zero confidence in him; they obviously confide in his wrestling ability to sustain the credibility of the main event scene. What I said was Vince doesn't have much confidence in Benoit's capability to draw as the top babyface, it has nothing to do with him holding the World Title since HBK is also in the main event scene to draw a lot of charisma.

Kane Knight
05-23-2004, 04:14 AM
Uhh... didn't Benoit already beat HHH clean, by making him tap? It wasn't as if HBK was wearing HHH down with submission holds. Benoit had that Crossface on about 3 times before HHH finally tapped, with no outside interference.

That's what made that match so great.
Well, you factor in the fact that wrestling is not REAL, and that factors that should be unimportant in a REAL environment are very much significant, and things change.

Example: You've taken ten chairshots to the head, and are open and bleeding. The crowd cheers your name, and suddenly, you're fresh as a daisy.

In the pro wrestling world, it's more than possible to "soften someone up" for a submission move through brawling. You could do this to aan extent in the "real world," too, but it's a little more difficult, especially since most people won't hold still while you try and target their joints. Still, while it weouldn't be my first move in a fight, in the world of WWEEEEEEEE, it's a perfectl valid strategy.

The problem is, whenever you add in a third man in a title fight, you immediately diminish the significance of the fight. Does it totally make sense? No. That doesn't make it less true, however, because not everything in wrestling applies to strict ration. A third man takes away the thunder from the winner.

Benoit need some real singles matches, and soon. Like last week or sooner. A Triple Thread Main event to wrestlemania was bullshit. Rehashing it wasn't horrible, but we already saw it, and nothing much changed.

He's a single's chhamp for Chrissake, and he should be given some high profile SINGLES matches for said title.

I'mn not saying that there should never be Triple Threats, Four ways, etc., just that it's gone a little too far here.

Aussie Skier
05-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Benoit has lost no credibility!

How could he have lost anything after beating the two top guys, twice, in two of the biggest PPV's of the year!

Kane Knight
05-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Benoit has lost no credibility!

How could he have lost anything after beating the two top guys, twice, in two of the biggest PPV's of the year!
Because it was a handicap match, where it was Benoit vs Triple H and Michaels, right?

TheNamelessOne
05-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Vince isn't very confident that Benoit can draw as the top babyface.

By putting more established stars such as HBK and Triple H in the main event scene the fans are more drawn toward their drawing feud, and bask in Benoit's glory without having to see him get involved in many angles.

This explains why according to news reports, HBK/HHH is being booked as the next main event rather than Kane/Benoit.

MVP
05-23-2004, 01:34 PM
This explains why according to news reports, HBK/HHH is being booked as the next main event rather than Kane/Benoit.Exactly.

thelivinglegend, you could learn from that.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-23-2004, 02:30 PM
I think there are two things that could get Benoit more credibility. The first is have him be the reason HHH is gone. Have Benoit "injure" Triple H.

Then, for the feud with Kane, have a few various matches, and build Kane up as a true monster... Maybe have Benoit do what he did to Austin and nal 8 German Suplexes in a row, only to have Kane sit up and chokeslam Benoit. If done properly, Kane can be built up huge in this feud, and at the same time, Benoit can defeat him and not kill off that credibility.

And one more thing, get him out of the tag team... Benoit needs to be a loner.

Kane Knight
05-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Maybe have Benoit do what he did to Austin and nal 8 German Suplexes in a row, only to have Kane sit up and chokeslam Benoit. If done properly, Kane can be built up huge in this feud, and at the same time, Benoit can defeat him and not kill off that credibility.
There are several ways they could go here. Some better than others.

The DQ--Benoit does his best offense, only for Kane to end up with an Undertaker-eaque no-sell. Kane ends up snapping on him (He's supposed to be the psycho type now), and ends up costing himself the match in an attempt to destroy Benoit. Downside: This only works if Kane looks unstoppable, otherwise, Benoit looks weak. Benoit also kind of has to be offered a way to save face here.

DQ V2ahhhhhh--Hardy interferes in the match, costing Kane the title shot, either through DQ or by allowing Benoit to pick up the pin. Again, the downside is simple: Benoit looks like he needs help to win. Again, this isn't totally bad if Kane's really a dominant heel. If he's gonna get squashed yet again, this just makes Benoit look bad.

Clean Win--Benoit actually gets a clean win over the monster, but still makes Kane look good in the process. Hard offense, etc. And I'd ratrher run the risk here, Kane looking weak, than making the champion look weak.

Wildcat789
05-23-2004, 03:24 PM
If Benoit's character was more along the lines of what Edge's is like, then he'd look stronger. The 'always angry grr beast hurt focused' character would work better on Benoit than on Edge. Also, I think if Bischoff started messing with Benoit the same way Heyman did, and Benoit didn't care and intimidated Bischoff the same way, that'd make him look tough. With Austin gone, Raw's top bad-ass role has opened. Benoit could so work playing that part.

Thelivinglegend
05-24-2004, 05:04 AM
Exactly.

thelivinglegend, you could learn from that.

I was more thinking that it had to do with HHH's backstage politics and whinging about not being in the main event etc, know what i mean? Not so much the fact that Vince doesn't have enough confidence in him, though i don't doubt that opinion either.