PDA

View Full Version : Is it racist that R-Truth is being depicted in this way?

Jazzy Foot
03-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Coming to the ringside area dressed like a pimp?

Can't speak proper English without some sort of rap or cuss?

Stealing the IC belt when nobody is looking? STEALING?

Wearing gloves for no reason, hair styled like a poodle etc. etc.

It's racism lol. So much for Black History Month.

Also firing Booker T in the ring. That was quite racist.

Burying Daniel Bryan because he looks like a white jihadi, pretty racist too.

Simple Fan
03-12-2015, 03:03 PM
No its not racist because racism doesn't exsit .

KIRA
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Yes Vince is an idiot need more proof look at the New DAY

Chimera
03-12-2015, 03:18 PM
I remember one time some one accused CHW of being racist because they don't have any black wrestlers. Then they forget that CHW signed Malik Clarke as an on air personality/GM/Ref. I hope one day CHW signs a black wrestler too to shut the fools up for one...

Simple Fan
03-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Yes Vince is an idiot need more proof look at the New DAY

Whaaatt? No way Vince is racist, he has given well paying jobs to all kinds of minorities. Racism is made up and doesn't exist so he can't be a racist.

Shadrick
03-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Yes, it's racist and stereotypical.

But every black character that's ever stepped foot in the WWE has at one time or another, had a gimmick that was race driven/motivated/storyline inspired.

Kofi = Jamaican
Mark Henry, D'Lo, Rock, Farooq, Godfather etc = Nation of Domination
Cryme Time = obvious.
R-Truth = rapping, dancing, shuckin and jiving.
Godfather was a pimp too, actually.
Bad News Brown had the storyline with Roddy Piper wearing half blackface.
Hakeem
Slick
Booker and Stevie Ray came to the ring wearing prison jumpsuits....but that was WCW, so I don't put that on them.

The only one I can think of was Bobby Lashley and Shelton Benjamin...but you can count Shelton if you want to include that Big Momma atrocity...or the fact that Lashley "allegedly" quit because the WWE wanted his then girlfriend to do some racial shit she wasn't cool with.

Lol, I remember a few months ago guys on here argued me up and down that black performers were treated the same as the other performers, and if Kofi etc didn't get a chance at the world title, its because "they were on par with Morrison and Evan Bourne, they just weren't good enough bro, its not racist." lol yeah okay.

XL
03-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Don't think you can argue that last point.

Kofi is not World Champion material. That shouldn't change just because he's black. That'd be "positive discrimination".

Corkscrewed
03-12-2015, 03:56 PM
I thought R-Truth loping around and stealing the title was pretty racist. Not enough to be all offended, but definitely rac-ist.

Big Vic
03-12-2015, 03:58 PM
racist-ish

Yes, it's racist and stereotypical.

But every black character that's ever stepped foot in the WWE has at one time or another, had a gimmick that was race driven/motivated/storyline inspired.

Kofi = Jamaican
Mark Henry, D'Lo, Rock, Farooq, Godfather etc = Nation of Domination
Cryme Time = obvious.
R-Truth = rapping, dancing, shuckin and jiving.
Godfather was a pimp too, actually.
Bad News Brown had the storyline with Roddy Piper wearing half blackface.
Hakeem
Slick
Booker and Stevie Ray came to the ring wearing prison jumpsuits....but that was WCW, so I don't put that on them.

The only one I can think of was Bobby Lashley and Shelton Benjamin...but you can count Shelton if you want to include that Big Momma atrocity...or the fact that Lashley "allegedly" quit because the WWE wanted his then girlfriend to do some racial shit she wasn't cool with.

Lol, I remember a few months ago guys on here argued me up and down that black performers were treated the same as the other performers, and if Kofi etc didn't get a chance at the world title, its because "they were on par with Morrison and Evan Bourne, they just weren't good enough bro, its not racist." lol yeah okay.WHAT ABOUT MICHAEL TARVER!?!? :shifty:

The thing about new day is according to the dirt sheets it was going to start off as something totally different and race ambiguous.

Shadrick
03-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Don't think you can argue that last point.

Kofi is not World Champion material. That shouldn't change just because he's black. That'd be "positive discrimination".

I think you missed why I brought it up. If you feel he's personally not good enough, thats totally your prerogative, but using the "he's not good enough, thats why he doesn't get a shot at the title, not because he's black" logic becomes a little less potent when you consider the history of a bulk of the black performers in the company and how they've been portrayed, gimmicks/storylines they've been given to work with, etc.

Shadrick
03-12-2015, 04:13 PM
I thought R-Truth loping around and stealing the title was pretty racist. Not enough to be all offended, but definitely rac-ist.

When you compound it with "Whoop there it is!" in 2015, along with his cooning around, yeah, its offensive to me. Not enough for me to "boycott" or anything, but I do turn the channel when Truth is on.

Big Vic
03-12-2015, 04:17 PM
I think you missed why I brought it up. If you feel he's personally not good enough, thats totally your prerogative, but using the "he's not good enough, thats why he doesn't get a shot at the title, not because he's black" logic becomes a little less potent when you consider the history of a bulk of the black performers in the company and how they've been portrayed, gimmicks/storylines they've been given to work with, etc.
But he's just not that great of a wrestler in the promo department... at all.

Ruien
03-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Kofi Kingston looks like Daniel Bryan but does not have the entire stadium chanting his chant or his name. Like really? He is not a main eventer because he has no business being a main eventer.

You know why there is not as many black champions than white champions? Because 90% of the people attempting to be a wrestler are white.

Hell, HHH fucked a corpse and that is a "white person stereotype" Sheamus and Fit Finley were both knuckle brawlers which is a stereotype to a drunken Irish fool. Fuck I hate people.

loopydate
03-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Wait, necrophilia is a white person stereotype?

loopydate
03-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Also, because he stereotypes against all races equally, he's not racist?

Ruien
03-12-2015, 05:39 PM
He is claiming Vince is racist against black people because of their gimmicks when in reality all races are given the stupid gimmicks. Maybe he is a racist but you can't judge that on the gimmicks the wrestlers have been or are given.

Ruien
03-12-2015, 05:39 PM
There is also the 90% of the people trying to become a wrestler being white.

XL
03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Isn't everybody in the match stealing the title?

Simple Fan
03-12-2015, 06:06 PM

Pretty much, Bryan didn't steal it but he received stolen property. Not racisit because racism doesnt exist.

Bad News Gertner
03-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Yeah Kofi isn't remotely good enough to be in the World Title picture, and I'm considered the champion of black equality.

#1-norm-fan
03-12-2015, 09:49 PM

Whether you think his and others' gimmicks are racist or not is another topic. There are a ton of white guys on his level over the years who never got a shot at the title though. Shouting "racism" because he falls in with that crowd but also happens to be black is silly. Do you really think Kofi is so clearly world championship material that it must be racism if he doesn't win it?

#1-norm-fan
03-12-2015, 09:53 PM

Also, that.

Jazzy Foot
03-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Kofi was never that good to be a main-eventer although I recall him featuring in an Elimination Chamber match.

I thought at one point Big E Langston was going to get a push but that never materialised. R Truth has well and truly become a gimmicky character.

Booker T for all his greatness and HoF credentials, they never put the WWE title on him which baffles me.

The Rock imo is the only true African-American superstar WWE have tried and wanted to push.

On a serious note I wouldn't want to label that as racist eetc and no individual or race etc has a right to anything nor the right to claim anything based on race or culture etc. It's just something that seems noticeable.

Shisen Kopf
03-12-2015, 11:21 PM
I remember one time some one accused CHW of being racist because they don't have any black wrestlers. Then they forget that CHW signed Malik Clarke as an on air personality/GM/Ref. I hope one day CHW signs a black wrestler too to shut the fools up for one...

He's good and all but he's no Robb Banks. Are you getting excited for Saturday? I know I'm looking forward to CHW than rasslemania. WWE doesn't care about the fans like CHW does.

KIRA
03-13-2015, 12:26 AM
Kofi was never that good to be a main-eventer although I recall him featuring in an Elimination Chamber match.

I thought at one point Big E Langston was going to get a push but that never materialised. R Truth has well and truly become a gimmicky character.

Booker T for all his greatness and HoF credentials, they never put the WWE title on him which baffles me.

The Rock imo is the only true African-American superstar WWE have tried and wanted to push.

On a serious note I wouldn't want to label that as racist eetc and no individual or race etc has a right to anything nor the right to claim anything based on race or culture etc. It's just something that seems noticeable.
R-truth could have been so much more his heel persona was amazing (in fact anytime he's been a heel he's done a damn good job)and they could have4 really run with it his somwhat goofy but somehow uber serious bad guy was something to behold.

NormanSmiley
03-13-2015, 03:35 AM
still love when vince called cena "my nigga"

Big Vic
03-13-2015, 08:57 AM
The Rock imo is the only true African-American superstar WWE have tried and wanted to push.They kinda tried pushing Lashley.

dingdongyo
03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
It's really hard for me to tell. I honestly think that Truth just prefers performing that way at this point. And the cartoonishness of his behavior (the goofy way he's been sneaking around, the dumb catchphrasing, etc) bothers me way more than the stereotypical "black" aspect of it. He had a badass turn a while ago that I really loved, that quickly dissolved into more goofy "pretty Ricky"/"little jimmy" bullshit.

I look at Big E in the new day, with his preacher voice and mannerisms. And I think, yeah, that's a stereotypical black thing, but he's doing it well. He seems far more comfortable and memorable with this character than what he was before.

It comes down to the subtle stuff for me, I guess. I'd like to see performing that makes me believe in the character. That's it. Boogeyman did that well, too. And he was a fucked up freak that had nothing to do with being black.

I dunno. Am I making sense?

loopydate
03-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Wait, necrophilia is a white person stereotype?

I'm still waiting on confirmation of this. Is that a thing? Like, the same way some assholes think "Oh, I bet that guy's here illegally" when they see a Mexican dude, do their equivalents in other races think "Oh, I bet that guy fucks corpses" when they see white people?

Clerk
03-13-2015, 11:39 AM
I don't mind I love truth. especially on commentary

DAMN iNATOR
03-13-2015, 12:28 PM
He is claiming Vince is racist against black people because of their gimmicks when in reality all races are given the stupid gimmicks. Maybe he is a racist but you can't judge that on the gimmicks the wrestlers have been or are given.

How many black wrestlers held either the WWE or World Heavyweight Championships in the company from the point in 2002 where they became separate titles to Dec. 2013? 1: King Booker.

Not saying that proves Vince is racist by any means, but it does seem to reflect pretty poorly on him as far as his attitude towards black and minority wrestlers.

Ruien
03-13-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm still waiting on confirmation of this. Is that a thing? Like, the same way some assholes think "Oh, I bet that guy's here illegally" when they see a Mexican dude, do their equivalents in other races think "Oh, I bet that guy fucks corpses" when they see white people?

When you hear someone fucked a corpse what comes into your mind?

loopydate
03-13-2015, 12:35 PM
"Why would somebody fuck a corpse?"

loopydate
03-13-2015, 12:36 PM
It's not "Typical white guy, fuckin' corpses."

Ruien
03-13-2015, 12:37 PM
How many black wrestlers held either the WWE or World Heavyweight Championships in the company from the point in 2002 where they became separate titles to Dec. 2013? 1: King Booker.

Not saying that proves Vince is racist by any means, but it does seem to reflect pretty poorly on him as far as his attitude towards black and minority wrestlers.

What is the ratio of white and black wrestlers? I may be wrong because I am not going to do research but throwing around things without the slightest proof and logical reason to point to why he is not a racist is wrong.

And its not like Vince has not tried to push Bobby Lashley or Big E. I am sure there are some others that I am forgetting.

Ruien
03-13-2015, 12:38 PM

Ruien
03-13-2015, 12:39 PM
No, you don't see a white guy and think he fuckes corpses. But you won't see a black person and think he is a thug. But when you hear on the television about a thug then you think of a black person.

When you see a black person you don't automatically think of a rapper. But when you hear there is a new rapper coming out you think of a black person.

loopydate
03-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Do we really need to get into the definition of a stereotype now? Because none of the things you mentioned are actually stereotypes. Although, to a percentage of the population, the "thug" thing would probably count, as I unfortunately DO know a number of people who automatically assume black people are thugs.

Evil Vito
03-13-2015, 12:43 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Big E should definitely be a main eventer someday. Has the type of physique Vince wants in a top guy, can work as either a fun babyface or menacing heel, and isn't horrible in the ring.

Hopefully the New Day stuff doesn't wind up being what he gets remembered for. He's still a young guy so plenty of time to right the ship.</font>

Ruien
03-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Do we really need to get into the definition of a stereotype now?

You do realize that was the whole point of the convo when you responded to my post correct?

Corporate CockSnogger
03-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Interested in this "white guys fuck corpses" subplot. Can we get back to that?

Corporate CockSnogger
03-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Feel like Ruien didn't really provide closure on that story. Interested in the "when you hear somebody fucked a corpse what comes into your mind?" part.

loopydate
03-13-2015, 01:49 PM
Okay, good. Was worried I was the only one who thought that was insane.

Anybody Thrilla
03-13-2015, 02:09 PM
I think Truth is very entertaining right now. Also, I'm black, for whatever that's worth.

XL
03-13-2015, 02:23 PM

How many non-white wrestlers should have been World Champion in that time frame?

Corporate CockSnogger
03-13-2015, 02:35 PM
How many black guys have they shown fucking corpses though? Zero. Vince is too smart to think the fans would believe that.

Corporate CockSnogger
03-13-2015, 02:37 PM
They did have Mark Henry produce a hand-baby though. Not too sure where the stereotype lies for that.

Ruien
03-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Of course that goes to a black man but with a white woman who is a crack addict. Babies are coming out with all kinds of deformities.

Ruien
03-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Feel like Ruien didn't really provide closure on that story. Interested in the "when you hear somebody fucked a corpse what comes into your mind?" part.

Was a question to Loopy but I think he became confused.

Corporate CockSnogger
03-13-2015, 02:47 PM
I dunno, it kinda came across as though you asked the question rhetorically, as though the answer was obviously "a white guy, duh!"

Ruien
03-13-2015, 02:56 PM
If someone thinks of anything different I would love to hear it. Could be a ground breaking story.

Ruien
03-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Loopy was acting like I was wrong so I asked him the question.

loopydate
03-13-2015, 03:01 PM
You are wrong. I had literally never heard necrophiliac as a stereotype of white people until that post.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_white_Americans_in_the_United_States

Nothing about fucking corpses.

loopydate
03-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Granted, yes, it's Wikipedia, but YOU try finding a complete list of stereotypes that doesn't take you down a seriously scary racist rabbit hole.

Ruien
03-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Then who do YOU picture when you hear someone fucked a corpse?

Ruien
03-13-2015, 03:06 PM
It is a fairly simple question you have no answered yet.

Anybody Thrilla
03-13-2015, 03:14 PM
This is a terrible argument.

Ruien
03-13-2015, 03:16 PM
That it is.

KIRA
03-13-2015, 03:59 PM
I think Truth is very entertaining right now. Also, I'm black, for whatever that's worth.

So am I, I still say Vince only thinks in a certain mode when it comes to non-white performers like the way Marvel thinks every black superhero has to be from Harlem or is a former gang member

loopydate
03-13-2015, 04:01 PM
It is a fairly simple question you have no answered yet.

I don't think of anyone, is my point. There is no group I associate with corpse-fuckers.

loopydate
03-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Although, logistically speaking, I would probably assume you meant a man.

Anybody Thrilla
03-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Most serial killers are white, if that may be dancing around his point, but whatever he was trying to convey with the corpse-fucking thing was pretty weak.

The Condor
03-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Hogan is more orange than white, does that play into the necrophilia angle at all? What about the Hogans', Okerlunds, and human suplex machines.?

Ruien
03-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Orange people never have sex with corpses. You know this already.

#1-norm-fan
03-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Then who do YOU picture when you hear someone fucked a corpse?

I picture this guy...

http://www.wnd.com/files/2015/02/Domonique_Smith-150x140.jpg

Because this just happened about a month ago...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/13/domonique-smith-necrophilia_n_6681862.html

And I don't have a huge mental log of other people who fuck corpses to have formed a stereotype around it.

Corporate CockSnogger
03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
This is a terrible argument.

I dunno, I'm much more interested in the "corpse-fuckers are predominantly white" hypothesis than the "70 year old guy who grew up in an industry built on stereotypes and being a bit of a dickhead, might be a bit racist" argument. But that's just me pigeonholing.

#1-norm-fan
03-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Also, I just wanna say that R-Truth is an insanely entertaining individual.

Proceed with the corpse-fucking discussion.

Droford
03-13-2015, 06:26 PM

http://boredwrestlingfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/katie-vick-o.gif