PDA

View Full Version : "The Wrong Guy Went Over"

hb2k
04-13-2015, 03:34 AM
For this weeks podcast, we're going to be looking at matches that, for whatever reason, stand out as having the wrong outcome, and would like to get some feedback and hypothetical discussion going on examples that always stood out to you.

So, what is the one match you always think about and say "_______ should have won", and why? It can be a case where the guy who lost should have won because it was a critical time for the character or they could have gone in an interesting future direction, or it can be where the guy that won had no business getting the victory for one reason or another. The more explanation for your choice, the better.

As always, the best examples will be read on the show and you'll be namedropped accordingly, but interested to see which different matches stand out for different people on this one.

EDIT - The podcast discussing matches where The Wrong Guy Went Over, including many of the examples below, is now online at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/nqmshk/SCGRadio36-TheWrongGuyWentOver.mp3

XL
04-13-2015, 03:49 AM
Couple of softballs to start;

HHH vs Booker T @ WrestleMania 19.
I shouldn't really need to explain why but; the elitist, financially well-off, privileged Champion spends weeks belittling the downtrodden, challenger with the hard upbringing, telling him he's "not worthy"...then proves it at Mania. Then of course, that finish.

HHH vs CM Punk @ Night of Champions 2011.
Punk recently broke through the Glass Ceiling with the "Pipebomb" promo, beat Cena for the WWE Championship, and his momentum is curtailed by part-time wrestler HHH beating him. Again, the less said about the finish (and storyline coming out of the show) the better.

Shisen Kopf
04-13-2015, 05:06 AM
Rasslemania X8 Hogan vs Rock. I was there in case you didn't know. Anyway the crowd was 90% behind Hogan. A rocky sucks chant was going around The Skydome and only the kids seemed to like The Rock. Hmmm, sounds like a certain rassler around today. But anyway Hogan shoulda won the match, he was over, Rock wasn't.

Rammsteinmad
04-13-2015, 06:18 AM
Christian vs. Randy Orton - Summerslam 2011

Christian should have gone over dammit! :fu:

Kris P Lettus
04-13-2015, 06:53 AM
Sting beating Scott Hall at Uncensored 1998 to retain the HW title

Perfect time to let Hall become the champnand a missed opportunity IMO

Lock Jaw
04-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Christian should have won.

Nark Order
04-13-2015, 10:35 AM
He can do it. He just needs one more match.

dingdongyo
04-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Luke Robinson should have won Tough Enough. Damnit.

Anybody Thrilla
04-13-2015, 10:49 AM
Kenny King also should have won Tough Enough.

Chimera
04-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Agent Exile should've beaten Innovator when Inno cashed in his 2nd wish. Exile deserved a real reign, he was literally on fire during that period and Innovator kind of ruined his chance at main event credibility.

SlickyTrickyDamon
04-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Don't push your luck Chimera.

drave
04-13-2015, 01:16 PM
So Nikky is obviously the number one contender now.

Yea Chimera, STD might start following your product EVEN MOAR! :mad::rant::mad::mad::rant::rant::fu:

Shadrick
04-13-2015, 01:22 PM

I shouldn't really need to explain why but; the elitist, financially well-off, privileged Champion spends weeks belittling the downtrodden, challenger with the hard upbringing, telling him he's "not worthy"...then proves it at Mania. Then of course, that finish.

Punk recently broke through the Glass Ceiling with the "Pipebomb" promo, beat Cena for the WWE Championship, and his momentum is curtailed by part-time wrestler HHH beating him. Again, the less said about the finish (and storyline coming out of the show) the better.

:y::y::y::y:

Chimera
04-13-2015, 01:54 PM

I was posting on topic it didn't say "The Wrong Guy Went Over (WWE Only)"

Kris P Lettus
04-13-2015, 02:29 PM
My example is from WCW

Chimera
04-13-2015, 02:31 PM
My example is from WCW

Exactly, all wrestling promotions are allowed

loopydate
04-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Chris Jericho should have won the 2012 Royal Rumble. I know they eventually got to the "Best In The World" vs. "The Best In The World" match with Punk at Mania, but Jericho would have come in with some actual momentum instead of weeks of promos that had no Rumble payoff and a "TKO" exit from the Chamber. A full-strength Jericho vs. a full-strength Punk could have been a Mania build for the ages.

Instead, they gave it to Sheamus, who then went on to-- I don't even want to talk about it.

Shisen Kopf
04-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Exactly, all wrestling promotions are allowed

He speaks the truth

Ruien
04-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Ryback on ever PPV ever.

Jaded-Dragon
04-13-2015, 03:34 PM

These two especially always jump into my mind when someone brings up this topic.

Another one that has always bugged me was Hogan vs Michaels at Summerslam 2005.

Bad News Gertner
04-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Ryback losing to Mark Henry at WM 29 made no sense then and no sense now.

Bad News Gertner
04-13-2015, 04:59 PM
The biggest one is the Super Sunday AWA show of April 1983 where Hogan got Dusty finished out of the AWA title to Nick Bockwinkel. It caused Hogan to jump to the WWE, along with the merchandise issue.

I can't imagine how much money was left of the table there.

XL
04-13-2015, 05:08 PM
That Ryback/Henry one is a good call.

Emperor Smeat
04-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Cena vs Lesnar, Extreme Rules 2012.
Lesnar should not have lost on his return match to the WWE and came off as Vince wanting to just stick it to UFC saying how his guys were better. Cena's post-match promo wasn't needed either since Cena sort of shrugged off the entire match and the idea of a break needed to sell the beating he took.

loopydate
04-13-2015, 06:09 PM
So, reading the Tough Enough mentions earlier made me think about this. Just think of all the talent that went through TE, only to get knocked out. Then compare that to the terrible list of winners. The Miz, Matt Morgan, and Kenny King all made the show, only to be eliminated. Kong, Daivari, Melina, Shelly Martinez, Gunner, Boogeyman, Shad Gaspard, and ODB all auditioned and didn't make the show.

Yet Daniel Puder, Linda "Shaniqua" Miles, Jackie "Possibly the worst wrestler WWE ever trotted out" Gayda, Nidia, and what's-his-face from the last one all won.

If it hadn't been for the moderate success of Maven and the slightly-more-than-moderate success of John Morrison, Tough Enough's track record would be pretty abysmal.

(Note: I'm excluding Matt Cappotelli from my "bust" list. He could have been great or he could have been terrible. His brain tumor means we'll just never know, which is a shame. His OVW tag team with Johnny Jeter was fun to watch)

Chimera
04-13-2015, 06:14 PM
My favorite Tough Enough guy was always Daniel Rodimer...I don't think he got a fare shake in the WWE.

Evil Vito
04-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Ryback losing to Mark Henry at WM 29 made no sense then and no sense now.

<font color=goldenrod>Was legitimately stunned sitting in the crowd for that one. Nobody could understand the logic especially since they gave Ryback his big Shellshock moment anyway.

If the plan was to do the Henry/Cena feud for Extreme Rules (the same one they did at MITB anyway) then MAYBE it would have made sense. Instead they abruptly turned Ryback heel on no momentum and it was fucking retarded.</font>

Bad News Gertner
04-13-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm still surprised Matt Morgan didn't amount to more.

Fignuts
04-13-2015, 07:30 PM
The biggest one in the Super Sunday AWA show of April 1983 where Hogan got Dusty finished out of the AWA title to Nick Bocwinkel. It caused Hogan to jump to the WWE.

I can't imagine how much money was left of the table there.

Thanks for that one, Seth.

Fignuts
04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Rasslemania X8 Hogan vs Rock. I was there in case you didn't know. Anyway the crowd was 90% behind Hogan. A rocky sucks chant was going around The Skydome and only the kids seemed to like The Rock. Hmmm, sounds like a certain rassler around today. But anyway Hogan shoulda won the match, he was over, Rock wasn't.

I don't know about this. Feel like the handshake and face turn meant more after the loss than it would have after a win.

Besides, it didn't hurt Hogan one bit.

Fignuts
04-13-2015, 07:37 PM
I feel like HBK should have gone over Cena. He deserved one more run imo. A good one, not a shitty one month reign like his last one.

SlickyTrickyDamon
04-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Eric Bischoff Vs. Larry Zybysco. Starrcade 1997. Should have just gone with it being nWo Monday Nitro. That set they made was awesome and it was a total waste just tp make it for no reason like that. Would have changed the dynamics of the feud and made it more interesting as it was getting stale at that point.

The Condor
04-13-2015, 08:20 PM
HHH vs. Steve Austin-- No Way Out 2001

So Austin and Rock are on a collision course for WM17, and they put HHH over him on the penultimate PPV in the first ever (and best) 3 Stages of Hell match? Great match, stupid finish that essentially gave HHH the win in the feud, the one where he hired Rikishi to attempt vehicle homicide on Austin. And worse, Austin joins forces with him after his Wrestlemania heel turn. I have real problem with that one.

James Steele
04-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Triple H should have won at SummerSlam 99.

#1-norm-fan
04-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Ryback on ever PPV ever.

That

Rollermacka
04-14-2015, 01:10 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GdtfcOlr0tk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Theo Dious
04-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Cena should have beaten RVD at ONS. The response from that crowd would have been epic as fuck.

Ruien
04-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Could not even imagine how much carnage would have occurred if that happened.

drave
04-14-2015, 04:38 PM
I think there may have been a RIP Cena thread made.

drave
04-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Which means we would all be watching lolTNA right now. :shifty:

Theo Dious
04-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Surprised nobody mentioning Lesnar breaking the streak. Not necessarily a BAD move but not a good one. If they were so intent on putting Brock over as Mr Uberbadass they should have had him do an Austin and pass out in Hell's Gate with Heyman screaming "TAP BROCK JUST TAP HE'S GONNA KILL YOU!" After seeing Taker vs Wyatt this year the end of the streak only seems to have made a different in how the match was called (no instances of Cole screaming about how the streak was about to end only to have Taker kick out) but I still think they pissed away something unique for no appreciable gain.

#1-norm-fan
04-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Yeah, it was weird. I feel like Lesnar isn't really that much more of a badass right now for having broken the streak. Also, the whole build from it was "Undertaker couldn't beat Lesnar at WrestleMania. Cena couldn't even be competitive against him. How the fuck is anyone gonna take the title from him?" And he ended up just losing it by someone else being pinned, so... meh. In hindsight, it wasn't really worth it.

I was always for the idea that the streak needed to end when Taker decided he was done. Wyatt vs Taker (and any Taker matches from here on out) would have had WAY more drama and "big fight" aura behind it and Lesnar vs Reigns wouldn't have suffered that much had the streak not ended last year. It was a waste.

drave
04-15-2015, 05:52 AM
Surprised nobody mentioning Lesnar breaking the streak. Not necessarily a BAD move but not a good one. If they were so intent on putting Brock over as Mr Uberbadass they should have had him do an Austin and pass out in Hell's Gate with Heyman screaming "TAP BROCK JUST TAP HE'S GONNA KILL YOU!" After seeing Taker vs Wyatt this year the end of the streak only seems to have made a different in how the match was called (no instances of Cole screaming about how the streak was about to end only to have Taker kick out) but I still think they pissed away something unique for no appreciable gain.

Yeah, it was weird. I feel like Lesnar isn't really that much more of a badass right now for having broken the streak. Also, the whole build from it was "Undertaker couldn't beat Lesnar at WrestleMania. Cena couldn't even be competitive against him. How the fuck is anyone gonna take the title from him?" And he ended up just losing it by someone else being pinned, so... meh. In hindsight, it wasn't really worth it.

I was always for the idea that the streak needed to end when Taker decided he was done. Wyatt vs Taker (and any Taker matches from here on out) would have had WAY more drama and "big fight" aura behind it and Lesnar vs Reigns wouldn't have suffered that much had the streak not ended last year. It was a waste.

This is the first match that comes to mind for me. Probably because I have always been a HUGE Taker fan, but also because it didn't really make sense for all the reasons you two already stated.

Heisenberg
04-16-2015, 01:26 PM
*I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD, THEY VOTE WITH ME, THEY TAG WITH ME, READ BOOKS WITH ME*

hb2k, you are being summoned to casual to sign up for the 2015 TPWW Tag Team Turmoil tournament. Luggage is not necessary, put your mic down and come join us as we battle it out for post supremacy and lincoln logs.

We'll see you there

loopydate
04-16-2015, 01:43 PM
BAH GAWD WHAT A BLOCKBUSTER ANNOUNCEMENT! HB2K IN TAG TURMOIL, KING! STUNNER BARBECUE SAUCE SCALDED DOG!!!!!

XL
04-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Team WWE vs. The Nexus @ SummerSlam 2010.

Nexus should have gone over here, instead we got Cena's miraculous recovery from a DDT on concrete to overcome the odds, yet again. Leaving Nexus dead in the water.

Corndad
04-18-2015, 12:26 PM
I realize it was "fixed" later but Batista winning last year's Rumble was a joke.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Not Dave's fault though, fucking love that guy.

Simple Fan
04-18-2015, 08:40 PM
I realize it was "fixed" later but Batista winning last year's Rumble was a joke.

No it wasn't Batista should have went on to lose at WM30 to Orton. Thats mine Orton over Batista and Bryan at WM 30, althogh in a perfect world Bryan wasnt in the match.

Dukelorange
04-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Dean Ambrose should have one at least one PPV by now.

hb2k
04-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Just wanted to thank everybody in this thread for the awesome suggestions - the podcast discussing a lot of the matches mentioned in this thread where the Wrong Guy Went Over is now available to listen to at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/nqmshk/SCGRadio36-TheWrongGuyWentOver.mp3

This ended up being a really fun show, talking the many examples provided by Hulk Hogan and Triple H, main event pushes gone awry in Ryback and Lex Luger, perfect endings ruined by overthinking, and some outright travesties. Give it a listen and, as always, let me know what you think!

Blue Demon
04-19-2015, 07:49 AM