PDA

View Full Version : I.R.S.

Vastardikai
04-15-2015, 07:32 PM
It's April 15th, so it's time to make a post about our favorite evil tax accountant.

The idea actually started on Friday, when R.D. Reynolds did a post about the IRS-Undertaker feud. I posted a reply on this here induction. (http://www.wrestlecrap.com/inductions/induction-the-undertaker-irs-feud-three-things-in-life-are-certain-death-taxes-and-that-this-feud-sucked/) Good luck finding my comment. :p

In any event, I will reiterate my point. I believe a lot of the "controversy" over the crap gimmick (and let's be honest, an evil tax account is a crap gimmick) has a lot to do with the portrayal. Mike Rotunda put everything he had into that gimmick. He made it work better than it had any right to.

I watched the promo that featured him as Michael Wallstreet with Alexandra York, and it was night and day. Wallstreet was a jerk, but it was too subdued. He donned the glasses, and he put a nasally quality into his voice that made him even more abrasive. I think the best part was the tie. Combined with every other aspect of who he was, you saw that tie and you wanted someone to grab it and wail on him. I'd honestly say that IRS was one of the more underrated promo guys in WWF/E history (I'd honestly put him above quite a few long time main event guys, including Orton).

The '92 Rumble had one of my favorite IRS moments of all time: He tries to eliminate Roddy Piper, who in desperation grabs the tie, leading to Shyster's elimination.

In any event, discuss the greatness that is Irwin R. Shyster.

Mercenary
04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnB4zXKXSTzuaX4yezkJebOmj7sZMxe5xMoTlAtBpqIWLMHMHr2w

Bad News Gertner
04-15-2015, 07:50 PM
I thought this gimmick was fantastic

Simple Fan
04-15-2015, 07:55 PM
He should be in the HOF. If Rikishi gets in because of his kids I.R.S should to.

#1-norm-fan
04-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Thread is useless without this...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MSy2s8aXJ_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vastardikai
04-15-2015, 08:16 PM
I thought this gimmick was fantastic

My argument is that Mike Rotunda was fantastic. So much so, that he made a gimmick that is awful on paper work. Seriously, say "evil wrestling tax accountant" out loud and realize how stupid that particular combination of words sound. You can't put just anyone in a shirt and tie and expect them to get consistent heel heat. Rotunda did, and managed 3 WWF Tag Team Title Reigns with a soon to be retired Ted DiBiase as a result.

The Undertaker's gimmick is awful on paper, as well. It wouldn't have worked if it was played by anyone other than Mark Calloway. But Calloway somehow managed to get 25 years of mileage out of his gimmick.

Lock Jaw
04-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Money Inc one of my fav tag teams as a youngling because they seemed like great heels.

Lock Jaw
04-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Even though a millionaire and a tax man seem like they should be enemies.

Mercenary
04-15-2015, 10:05 PM

Everybody has a price! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!

Heisenberg
04-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Money Inc was the shit when I was 6 years old I was a big I.R.S. fan, kind of makes me automatically cheer his sons on, he earned that respect in the ring and on the mic

Heisenberg
04-15-2015, 11:26 PM
feeling 90s as fuck right now, jamming to some Stone Temple Pilots and Primus, you mark ass jabroni

DAMN iNATOR
04-16-2015, 03:18 AM

Ted probably paid him off to look the other way so he could get away with cheating on his taxes or being a little late.

Frank Drebin
04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
IRS ruled in hindsight. When I was a kid I was just a face hugger so I booed him, but he was always a threat.

I remember going to a house show and had a sign that said "Look, it's money INK" with a bunch of messy splotches. Showed those heels who is boss.

ClockShot
04-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Loved I.R.S.

Always my go-to guy in WWF Royal Rumble back on the sega genesis. Only because I thought the Write-Off was a kick ass finisher in the game.

On live TV, not so much.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iI_7xnc6RBI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Stickman
04-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Loved Money inc

Dukelorange
04-16-2015, 09:15 AM
I could seriously get behind a random Bo Dallas, Bray Wyatt, IRS meeting backstage.

Theo Dious
04-16-2015, 10:22 AM
I could seriously get behind a random Bo Dallas, Bray Wyatt, IRS meeting backstage.

Has to happen. HAS, HAS, HAS TO HAPPEN.

Seth82
04-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Rotunda was tremendous at getting gimmicks over.

I also liked his run with the York Foundation.

Vastardikai
04-16-2015, 01:49 PM
There were clever little Easter Eggs in the beginning and end of his run with the Foundation. In the big debut promo, there was a call from New York from a Mr. Finkel. During one of his last matches in WCW at the time, Jim Ross talked about how Ms. York claimed she could take someone with "Average Talent and bring them to the top using her computer." This was before introducing her newest charge, who was Terrence Taylor.

NormanSmiley
04-16-2015, 02:04 PM
you guys really have such shitty taste. even as kids you should be ridiculed for liking this hokey ass bullshit. that dude sucked in every single fucking thing he did past teaming with windham

Heisenberg
04-16-2015, 11:20 PM
bring that WWF Attitude to the upcoming TPWW Tag Team Turmoil and we'll see if you have the gumption to insult a legend of his magnitude. Vote for vote, pube for pube, the upstanding credentials of Irwin will be defended.

We had it good when Money Inc. was around. For us to go back to that time period and admire his heelness is balls mahalls brah.

You are entitled to your opinion here in this bloodstained digital halls though. Who was your favorite heel from your childhood?

NormanSmiley
04-17-2015, 01:35 AM
he was garbage to me solo or in money inc. nothing but terrible feuds cause of that jackoff gimmick. not to mention tag team wrestling was shit in that span especially once the steiners bolted down south again. with irs it wasn't that he drew heat from me, I just didn't care if he won or loss. just fuck him.

the heel who I legit couldn't stand and just wanted to rip apart was HTM. hated his existence

hb2k
04-17-2015, 03:46 AM
I feel rather differently than a lot of the positive feelings about IRS or the Wallstreet characters, both of which absolutely bored me to tears as a kid. Money Inc I hated, but I'll give them a pass because they didnt have much to work with at the time. I'll never understand, no matter what the rationale may be, why IRS went over the 123 Kid at Summerslam 93, and his feud and match with Undertaker was drek.

NormanSmiley
04-17-2015, 12:12 PM
^^ this guy knows!!