PDA

View Full Version : So uhhh .. (Bob Backlund/Verne Gagne)

Emeye
05-08-2015, 03:54 PM
I can't copy and paste from the front page on my phone. But there's really a post stating that Bob Baclund cut a "heel promo" at Verne Gagne's funeral.
Wow.
... Discuss.

Seth82
05-08-2015, 04:06 PM
He sure did.

absolutely classless and disrespectful thing to do at someone's funeral.

Ruien
05-08-2015, 04:41 PM
How do you cut a heel promo at someones funeral? Like, was he saying, "Look at this chump, not learning how to live as long as me! HAHA Punk."

Anybody Thrilla
05-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Big Bossman did something similar at Big Show's dad's funeral.

Emeye
05-08-2015, 04:50 PM
This is crazy lol. Can somebody copy and paste the post from the front page, I can't do it. I really hope we get an update on this. This story sounds hilarious, in the most appropriate, classless, disrespectful way of course.

Shadrick
05-08-2015, 04:52 PM
"You wanna know why Verne died? It was me Austin!"

Seth82
05-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Big Bossman did something similar at Big Show's dad's funeral.

at least that was fictional.

Big Show's dad had been dead for a couple of years. This is real life.

Ultra Mantis
05-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Partial Source: The Wrestling Observer

Bob Backlund interrupted Verne Gagne’s funeral with what can only be described as a “heel promo”. He started to yell during Greg Gagne’s speech. The incident was called “ridiculously” out of place and several mourners started to groan and “boo” Backlund as he continued on.

The funeral happened on May 5 in Eden Prarie, Minnesota.

Gene Okerlund was also on hand to conduct interviews.

Rammsteinmad
05-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Lol Seth82 taking ABT's post seriously.

Umm... seems daft and stupid. Did Gagne and Backlund ever have a kayfabe feud or anything? Perhaps it was arranged but everyone took it the wrong way.

Bad News Gertner
05-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Backlund is an interesting guy lol

Seth82
05-08-2015, 07:36 PM

Umm... seems daft and stupid. Did Gagne and Backlund ever have a kayfabe feud or anything? Perhaps it was arranged but everyone took it the wrong way.

kindly fuck off.

Seeing as how Verne and Backlund were faces most of their career.. that would be a No.

Backlund got his first major push in the AWA. He was never trained by Verne though.

Bob never however spent very much length of time in AWA. He was too busy being WWWF/WWF Champion.

He would come in every once in awhile and do some shows for AWA.

Jordan
05-08-2015, 10:36 PM
I met Backlund once, he put me in the chicken wing and stiffed me pretty hard. He is a little cooky for sure.

Wehttam
05-09-2015, 11:39 AM
kindly fuck off.

he should fuck off because you can't decipher sarcasm?

Rammsteinmad
05-09-2015, 11:40 AM
kindly fuck off.

Seeing as how Verne and Backlund were faces most of their career.. that would be a No.

Backlund got his first major push in the AWA. He was never trained by Verne though.

Bob never however spent very much length of time in AWA. He was too busy being WWWF/WWF Champion.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

CSL
05-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Silly Seth

Clerk
05-09-2015, 12:52 PM
he should fuck off because you can't decipher sarcasm?

Fuck off faggot no one cares about you and you sound like a bitch kys nerd mathew randles

Hanso Amore
05-09-2015, 02:11 PM
seth has become a parody of himself at this point.

Rammsteinmad
05-09-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't even know what to believe on TPWW any more.

R.I.P. Vicky Venom.

Bad News Gertner
05-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Apparently this didn't happen. Below is a post from Bob Backlund's co-writer on his upcoming autobiograhpy.

May 10th, 2015 00:11 GMT

Topics: 57
Replies: 966

PT: #11/13
This message was edited by Backlundcollector on May 10th, 2015 00:14 GMT

Okay folks, just got off the phone with Bob, and here's the story straight from the horse's mouth.

Bob DID NOT cut a heel promo, or anything resembling that, at Verne's funeral. █I'm not sure who came up with that story, but it is not accurate.

According to Bob, here's what actually happened.

Bob and everyone else in attendance sat quietly through the solemn, ceremonial part of the service. █When that was over, the ministers announced that the "church service" was over, but that Gene Okurlund and Greg Gagne were going to speak - and that others might speak also. █Mean Gene went first, and apparently gave some pretty awesome remarks that had people in the crowd laughing and cheering. █Apparently it ended with Gene making a ring announcement and the people rising in a standing ovation. █So this was not the ordinary somber church experience that you and I know.

Anyway, then Greg got up and gave a "eulogy" that was more of the same. █At one point, Greg was talking about the WWF/E and his father's experiences with Vince Sr. and Vince Jr, and some of the stuff that he had read about that on the internet. █At that point, Bob stood up, and said "Hey Greg - just wanted you to know that I'm here representing Vince McMahon and the WWE, and we all just wanted to pay our respects and express our condolences to you and to your family from everyone in the WWE."

That was it.

Greg thanked Bob, Bob sat down, and then Greg continued. █According to Bob, the whole thing lasted about 15 seconds, and was done because Greg's remarks opened the door, and Bob wanted everyone in the building to understand that the WWE was paying its respects to Verne and the Gagne family.

When the service was over, Bob went up front, and he and Greg exchanged a hug and some pleasantries. █There was no outrage, and no one was upset about what happened. █While standing up and saying something in the middle of a church service might seem a little foreign to most of us, this was apparently not an ordinary church service, but a more loose and fun exchange, which, according to Bob, who had known Verne very well since all the way back to Bob's high school days, was "just how Verne would have liked it."

So anyway - it seems like someone has run a little fast and loose with things without understanding the full story. █I wasn't there, but the accounting above is Bob's version of what happened - which he just shared with me on the phone. █He was very concerned about anyone thinking that he had actually "disrupted" the funeral service of a man that he respected so much, and whose funeral he had traveled all the way back to Minnesota to attend.

Hanso Amore
05-10-2015, 12:45 AM
Man seths righteous indignation on such a horrible thing was so fervent.

Event better hes a fucking loser crying about something that didnt happen.

Rammsteinmad
05-10-2015, 05:23 AM
Well, if that's true...

kindly fuck off.

Apology accepted.

Bad News Gertner
05-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Lol so apparently Backlund basically cut a Mr.Backlund promo at the funeral. Confirmed be a couple of wrestlers in attendance. Backlund yelled "don't talk back to me" at Greg Gagne and went on a rant at the back of the funeral. Bob then went up to Greg and asked "How was that". Greg called him a fucking idiot and Bob left.

Backlund is legit nuts.