PDA

View Full Version : All Time Favourite/Best Tag Team and Why?

hb2k
05-24-2015, 08:16 PM
So for this week's podcast we're taking a look at great tag teams, and are looking to get a sense of which teams come to people minds when the question is posed:

Do you have an all-time favourite tag team, or a combination that you firmly believe are the best tandem to ever grace the squared circle? If so, why them, and what is it that sets them apart to you as favourite, or what is the defining element that makes them the best you've ever seen?

I think there's a murky line between 'favourite' and 'best', so tackle this one however you wish, but I find it interesting to narrow it down to the one team you set above all others. As always the best answers will be read on the podcast (available next Saturday), and you'll be credited accordingly.

So who is that one team for you, and why?

Bad News Gertner
05-24-2015, 08:22 PM
The Acolytes/APA.

I've always been a huge Bradshaw fan, and these two were just two beer drinking, cigar smoking bad ass.motherfuckers. I'll never forget the Actolytes vs Hardy Boyz/Michael Hayes at Fully Loaded 1999, when Bradshaw clotheslined Jeff Hardy out of mid air while attempting to hit Poetry in Motion. That's the match that got me hooked on this team.

Shisen Kopf
05-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Hart Foundation. Liked everything about them. Bret Hart is my fav rassler of all time and I loved their feud with Demolition in 1990.

teamXtremist
05-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Hart Foundation. Liked everything about them. Bret Hart is my fav rassler of all time and I loved their feud with Demolition in 1990.

Lol I was a huge hart foundation mark power and speed both technically sound loved their promos too

Wishbone
05-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Hmm... Well, the best tag-team of all time is a pretty hard thing to talk about. I'm really not sure who I'd put into that category honestly. As for my favorite tag-team I'm gonna have to go with the Hardys. Always been a huge mark for them when they're together. I'm sure part of that is nostalgia since I grew up watching them but they're still one of my all time favorite acts in wrestling history.

Simple Fan
05-24-2015, 09:11 PM
The Hardy Boyz, Jeff was always my favorite for his in ring work. And I can remember hating it when Jeff swantoned back into the cage instead of winning the titles. Their feuds withe Edge and Christian, and The Dudley boys took tag team wrestling to new heights. I also enjoyed their later run and the feud with MNM.

Always seems like Jeff finds away to screw things up for the team, was enjoying them reunited in TNA and they just became champs and Jeff breaks his leg on a dirt bike.

My other favorite teams include The Stieners, Beer Money, and the Road Warriors.

Simple Fan
05-24-2015, 09:12 PM

USA#1 ?

DAMN iNATOR
05-24-2015, 09:16 PM

Not Cryme Tyme, though...those guys are thieves...who knows how many bikes they've probably stolen over the years.

loopydate
05-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Edge & Christian. I loved "enigma" Edge when he debuted, and when they saddled him with a tag partner, I was disappointed initially. But, cheesy as the Brood was in retrospect, my 15-year-old mark self ate it up. That entrance! That music! Fire! Blood! Then, they went on to have the greatest tag feud of my lifetime when they, the Dudleys and the Hardys tore the house down at every opportunity. When that ran its course, it was on to the Five-Second Pose incarnation that so totally reeked of awesomeness.

These guys could do comedy, hardcore, spotfests, whatever you asked of them, and they were pretty much the most entertaining guys on the roster while they were doing it.

Also, how many teams can say that both members went on to win the World Title?

DAMN iNATOR
05-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Dudleys very slightly over Hardys, E&C, although I WILL say my favorite story in SvR 2011 is where E&C reunite, because kazoos.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="560" height="315" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x2mi7vd" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mi7vd_wwf-wrestlemania-17-edge-and-christian-vs-the-dudley-boyz-vs_sport" target="_blank">WWF Wrestlemania 17 - Edge and Christian vs...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/WWE-OFFICIAL" target="_blank">WWE-OFFICIAL</a></i>

DAMN iNATOR
05-24-2015, 09:28 PM
<iframe frameborder="0" width="560" height="315" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xl9qs" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl9qs_wm2000-triangle-ladder-match_sport" target="_blank">WM2000 Triangle Ladder Match</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/olla666" target="_blank">olla666</a></i>

Seth82
05-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Best Tag Team - The Midnight Express or The Rock 'N' Roll Express

These two teams were just absolutely amazing in the 80s in the south. Sold out many buildings and brought a huge fan following everywhere.

Plus you had Jim Cornette as the mouthpiece for the Midnights who drew major heat in Mid South. Fans wanted to kill him down there.

http://www.comics101.com/kentuckyfriedrasslin//news/Kentucky%20Fried%20Rasslin/9/TagCondreyEaton.jpg

http://i1.wp.com/www.retroist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/rock-n-roll-express-01.jpg?resize=400%2C266

So many others I could list as Favorites of mine.

I guess I will go with The Road Warriors.

Just an awesome tough tag team made for the 80s.

http://auth.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/17_1.png?itok=jW_r1lTy

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the following names like - The Andersons, Crusher & Bruiser, The Brisco Brothers, The Freebirds, The Von Erichs, The British Bulldogs & The Funks.

Emperor Smeat
05-24-2015, 11:43 PM
APA. Similar to what Gertner said earlier about them being being just two laid back guys who loved to beat the crap out of people when the occasion passed by.

Unlike other teams, they didn't need the tag belts to be seen as a great team while being a perfect fit as the muscle for a group or whenever someone needed a situation handled.

#1-norm-fan
05-24-2015, 11:56 PM
The Steiner Brothers are my favorite tag team of all time. I liked the dichotomy in personalities between the two despite being brothers. The pretty boy Scott and his mildly retarded brother whom he was always very protective of. Their match with Terry Gordy and Steve Williams at Beach Blast '92 is probably the best tag match I've ever seen. I remember watching it repeatedly when I was a kid.

Black Widow
05-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Hardy Boyz cause their ladder matches were awesome

E&C for the same reason and they were funny in segments.

Heyman
05-25-2015, 01:07 AM
Dudley's.

Corporate CockSnogger
05-25-2015, 03:23 AM
http://static.sportskeeda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/newAgeOutlaws3-1055510.jpg

Easily The Outlaws. Don't see how there can even be another choice. I caught one or two matches of theirs when they came back last year and tey were still comfortably the most entertaining people there.

drave
05-25-2015, 07:21 AM
APA hands down. No nonsense, beer swilling ass kicking machines.

The fucking clothesline from hell NEVER gets old.

Nicky Fives
05-25-2015, 08:13 AM
Outlaws.

road doggy dogg
05-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Head Cheese

road doggy dogg
https://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loakc1kuls1qjkec8o1_500.png

road doggy dogg
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/87/files/2014/03/2.jpg

Mr. Nerfect
05-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Paul London & Brian Kendrick. I'm not saying they were the best, but I was a mark. They were two fun acts who always provided a bright spot on SmackDown. In a world where Paul London could have sucked up a bit more, I think they could have really been big stars as a tag team.

Edge & Christian, in retrospect, were phenomenal. I was still a mark when I first saw them, so I backed The Hardys, but man did these guys absolutely go out of their way to entertain. I also liked that they won the Triangle Ladder Match, TLC 1 and TLC 2. When their backs were up against the wall, they came out on top.

And, sincerely, I am digging Cesaro & Tyson Kidd. I worried about Tyson Kidd's future in the WWE. A fucking marvel in the ring, he just lacked a personality -- then NXT happened. His initial push seemed odd -- kind of "please cheer this guy" -- but then the heel turn made him this refreshingly fun personality. The problem was somewhat solved. He seemed to lack a heavy-hitting quality that would get him over on the main roster, but that has been solved by putting him with Cesaro. The WWE butchered what should have been a tremendous push last year with Cesaro, to the point where I almost lost interest in the product, but his team with Kidd has highlighted Cesaro's strengths, and allows him to show some personality from time-to-time.

They really work as a team, and when you think about it, the WWE has never had a team quite like them. They're basically The Kings of Wrestling except they've taken out the slightly bummish looking Chris Hero and replaced him with this ripped (but little) wrestling machine. Two great wrestlers who have paired up because they get and like each other -- they don't really need any frills beyond that. And Nattie's outfits have been a treat.

The Condor
05-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Owen + Jarrett

weather vane
05-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Demolition

Keith
05-25-2015, 04:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/S4DUNiN.jpg

When it comes to in-ring actual wrestling, this is the most complete tag team of all time.

Anybody Thrilla
05-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Owen Hart and The British Bulldog are probably my personal favorite tag team, and they just might have been the most talented as well. Owen was a great technician with a big personality while The Bulldog was the muscle who was no technical slouch either. There matches were always solid, and the fact that they were "related" lent to their credibility as partners. Maybe a bit of a longer run as a team would have people talking about them more often in this type of conversation, but I was very pleased with the catalog that they DID provide.

Fignuts
05-25-2015, 07:43 PM
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWHAT A RUSH

DaveWadding
05-25-2015, 11:33 PM
My favorite team not mentioned so far is the Rockers. Marty was the better of the two, of course.

and the Brain Busters were basically perfect together. Hard to believe Seth didn't mention them.

Poit
05-26-2015, 07:46 PM
I started watching wrestling around the end of 2000. The Edge & Christian/Hardys/Dudleys feud was the most memorable part of the show. I guess my favorites were the Hardys... because 14-year-old me thought they were cute. Don't judge me.

Ruien
05-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Why is the New Age Outlaws getting f no love? They were amazing. NOA all the way.

#1-norm-fan
05-26-2015, 11:56 PM
I'd put the Outlaws in my top 5.

Anybody Thrilla
05-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Honestly, I never really got too into the Outlaws. I remember liking them when they first started teaming together, but they got stale fairly quickly, and their matches were never really outstanding.

Mr. Nerfect
05-27-2015, 11:19 AM
They were before my time, but they're not my sort of team from what I have seen. Legends, no doubt, but not my sort of team.

Mr. Nerfect
05-27-2015, 11:20 AM
I honestly really liked Billy & Chuck. They felt like the first team since The Hardys/E&C/The Dudleys that felt like they could handle the mantle of being a "real" team. To me, anyway. I was a Billy Gunn mark though.

Bad News Gertner
05-27-2015, 11:22 AM
I did too. They worked vety well together.

I was also a huge Cade and Murdoch fan. Very under-rated team. Great matches with the Hardyz.

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-27-2015, 11:31 AM
I've said it here before and it's been said at least twice on this thread. The best tag team of all time is Davey Boy and Owen.

Anybody Thrilla
05-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Billy and Chuck were good. Cade and Murdoch were VERY good.

Only since they hosted that greatest tag team DVD, I also feel that Miz and Morrison deserve a shout here. They were incredibly entertaining together.

Evil Vito
05-27-2015, 11:32 AM
The Acolytes/APA.

I've always been a huge Bradshaw fan, and these two were just two beer drinking, cigar smoking bad ass.motherfuckers. I'll never forget the Actolytes vs Hardy Boyz/Michael Hayes at Fully Loaded 1999, when Bradshaw clotheslined Jeff Hardy out of mid air while attempting to hit Poetry in Motion. That's the match that got me hooked on this team.

<font color=goldenrod>While I wouldn't call APA my total favorite, I always mark out for a one-off reunion from them for a reason. I was happy when their matches were kept short and limited to just a total shit-kicking. That's how they worked best.</font>

Evil Vito
05-27-2015, 11:37 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Only because I mention them in every tag team thread, I fucking loved Deuce 'n Domino and was a huge mark for them. I loved the gimmick, even though it pretty much forced them to use very basic offense. Both guys were actually better workers than the gimmick allowed for.

Feel like they kinda got hosed during the draft in 2007. Londrick got sent to Raw, and so did Regal (who had been teaming with Dave Taylor) so suddenly DnD had pretty much nobody to defend the belts against or work with at all. That led to WWE giving up on them and transitioning the tag belts to further the MVP/Matt Hardy feud instead.</font>

Vastardikai
05-27-2015, 12:10 PM
The answer here is obvious...

You thought I was gonna post the New Generation video again, didn't you?

Nope, it's gonna be the equally homo-erotic Fabulous Ones! Though one could make a case for them being on this list

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NU1dqccokmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:shifty:

But seriously, I'm going to go with the underrated Badd Company. Diamond and Tanaka worked very well together and had a couple of awesome double team finishes (Superkick into a German Suplex and Slingshot into a DDT).

Wild Bunch is also underrated. If they got along with management better and hit their prime about 5 years later than they did, they would have made for an interesting fit in the WWF tag division. Seriously, Wild Bunch vs Dudley Boyz would have been a brawl. Wild Bunch vs Hardyz (seriously, what was with that era and using 'z's instead of 's's?) would have featured some high flying antics, and not just from Matt and Jeff.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Honestly don't know enough tag teams that I really dug. It'd be b/w the Calgary connection teams, British Bulldogs and Hart Foundation. Consistent great work between the two teams. I found any matches involving the two teams no matter who they faced (especially pre Dynamite injury) were so fast paced, crisp and intense, with lots of drama.

Bad News Gertner
05-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Honestly don't know enough tag teams that I really dug. It'd be b/w the Calgary connection teams, British Bulldogs and Hart Foundation. Consistent great work between the two teams. I found any matches involving the two teams no matter who they faced (especially pre Dynamite injury) were so fast paced, crisp and intense, with lots of drama.

The correct answer is Kevin Sullivan and Taz

hb2k
05-31-2015, 06:56 AM
Just wanted to thank everybody in this thread for the awesome suggestions - the podcast discussing a great many of the Tag Teams mentioned in this thread (as well as reading your reasons for picking them) is now available to listen to at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/i3h5p2/SCGRadio41-AllTimeFavouriteorBestTagTeam.mp3

This was a really fun trip down memory lane this week, talking about the dynamics of making great teams work, excellent matches, and discussing your suggestions such as The Hart Foundation, The Steiners, Tully and Arn, The Road Warriors, Demolition, The Midnight Express, The Rock and Roll Express, The British Bulldogs, Misawa & Kobashi, Kawada & Taue, Hardyz, Dudleyz, Edge and Christian, and many more. A really fun show this week, check it out and let me know what you think!

loopydate
05-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Just started this. Very classy move dedicating to Dan.

Bad News Gertner
06-01-2015, 12:21 PM
I've concluded that Carl hates fun.

hb2k
06-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Yeh I'm not on the "they have to be great wrestlers" kick myself - the APA were a blast. Great music, fun promos and gimmick, great ass kickings of the Posse and random people in bars. You had three teams having great matches, it was good to have the badasses for hire and the dancing white boys too.

Bad News Gertner
06-01-2015, 02:55 PM
They weren't the best but definitely my fav, but find me a wrestler more exciting when they got the hot tag than Bradshaw from that era?

People that base everything on workrate drive me nuts because they don't see the whole pictire

drave
06-01-2015, 03:51 PM
I wish Ryba.... sorry. THE RYBACK would start executing the Meat Hook more like the Clothesline From Hell. He doesn't have to run off the ropes or anything, just actually swing his arm with some feeling. For the "FEED ME MORE" chant/build up, it just seems MEH for such a big dude.

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-01-2015, 11:34 PM
I loved when it was brought up that Bret Hart's face being likeable. I'm like 99 per cent sure that's why I was drawn to him as a child. In this world of monsters, he was this laid back dewd with sweet moves.

EzekielKane
06-08-2015, 02:36 PM
The Hardy Boyz, they had the best matches and both were super talented solo, too bad Matt got Fatt and Jeff got high