PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 7 Remake

#BROKEN Hasney
06-15-2015, 09:50 PM
IT NEEDS ALL FUCKING CAPS HOLY SHIT

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kIpymgFzIrY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ruien
06-15-2015, 10:02 PM
O.o

Ruien
06-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Feel like this is a joke.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Feel like this is a joke.

Added the video they showed, it's legit. Feels like this might be the best E3 conference of all time.

drave
06-16-2015, 05:37 AM
I'M SO CLOSE TO THE EDGE OF MY SEAT THAT THE CHAIR IS PRACTICALLY IRRELEVANT AT THIS POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drave
06-16-2015, 05:38 AM
I CANNOT CONTAIN FEELS AND THERE AREN'T ENOUGH EMOJIS IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUDDDD NOOOOOOOOIIIIIIISSSSEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!

#BROKEN Hasney
06-16-2015, 05:58 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j1vSYIHlMp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just love how they refuse to believe it until the word Remake comes up.

YOU MANIACS, WHAT ARE YOU DOING. MIDGAR LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THAT WHAT ARE YOU DOING

drave
06-16-2015, 06:04 AM
They did a damn good job at keeping it hush hush, that's for damn sure. I know after the "trolling" they did announcing the PC re-launch there was little to no hope it would ever happen.

I am absolutely not going to be able to concentrate after reading/watching what has happened.

There is nothing Nintendo can do to make me care.

drave
06-17-2015, 06:38 AM
These days, HD remakes are pretty common! They usually are the same games, but with spiffy new graphics and, often, optional and updated controls. The big question is whether or not this is a straight-up remake. From what Nomura says, it’s not.

“I can’t get go into details,” Nomura said, “but this is not a simple remake. Let’s say for argument’s sake that we only pretty up the graphics for current gen hardware, I don’t think that would surpass the original version.”

(Note: Here Nomura actually said “next gen hardware,” but he is referring to the current gen.)

The Final Fantasy VII Remake Won't Be Exactly the Same

It seems that if the game only featured better graphics, then the difference between this remake and the upscaled port would merely be cosmetic.

“The original version is a game that came out in 1997, and if you look at it today, you can feel how dated the graphics and the game system are,” Nomura told Famitsu. “However, that’s also part of Final Fantasy VII.” Nomura added that even today, the game continues to get support and that is unlikely to change.

However, it sounds like like the remake will feature evolved gameplay. Again, here’s Nomura:

“We haven’t shown any gameplay yet, but since we’re updating them quite a bit, please look forward to that,” Square Enix’s Tetsuya Nomura told Dengeki Online. (Note: The word Nomura used, 進化 or “shinka,” can also mean “evolution” or “progress.” He didn’t say 変化 or “henka,” which means “change” or “variation.”)

For a title like this, even if you only redo the graphics, I don’t think you get something that’s exciting.”

So, what does that mean?

“Since we now formally revealed Kazushige Nojima’s name for the scenario, there will be more plot devices in the story, so I think you can also look forward to that.”

Ah, perhaps maybe they’ll be adding to the story, fleshing certain parts out or adding more backstory? That I can see making this more than a simple high-def remake with pretty graphics. I hope this doesn’t mean certain parts of the original story, however, will be written out...

“So,” Nomura told Famitsu, “if you are going to do a full remake, you have to take a different approach and make something that suits the times.”

According to Nomura, Square Enix is planning to reveal more about this remake later this winter—at the very least, the game’s formal title. So, yes, yes, look forward to that, too. Expect it.

drave
06-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Let the Fanboy rage commence at any and all early speculation!

#BROKEN Hasney
06-22-2015, 06:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SxOgj5K.png

road doggy dogg
06-22-2015, 07:15 AM
nice

drave
06-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Jizz In My Pants.

Fignuts
06-22-2015, 06:38 PM
great googly moogly

Sepholio
07-08-2015, 11:04 AM
I just filled the cup.

Overflowing right now actually.

Drakul
07-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I'll play it when it comes out for Xbox One, assuming something motivates me to actually buy an Xbox One.

If they change anything about the story, my first thought is that they'll cut the crossdressing segment for a bunch of reasons. It'll still happen in the story but we'll play as someone else, elsewhere, as it happens as part of a fleshing out of other characters.

road doggy dogg
07-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Didn't they specifically state that the crossdressing thing will remain in the game

#BROKEN Hasney
12-05-2015, 01:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2UWcBhdYlow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

road doggy dogg
12-05-2015, 01:55 PM
jesus christ I need to buy a PS4

drave
12-05-2015, 05:59 PM
i didnt think it was exclusive, just "first"?

OssMan
12-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Didn't they specifically state that the crossdressing thing will remain in the game
it definitely won't... also wouldn't be surprised if world map exploration/chocobo riding is completely "axed"

road doggy dogg
12-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I could've sworn I read a tweet or quote somewhere from S-E where someone asked about it and they said it was... maybe I'm making this up. Could be.

Shisen Kopf
12-05-2015, 07:19 PM
jesus christ I need to buy a PS4

Gofundme.com

#BROKEN Hasney
12-05-2015, 08:17 PM
i didnt think it was exclusive, just "first"?

Said console debut on PSX too yeah. So it'll probably be on PS4 for 6 months to a year then get an XBox version out. Seems to be the usual agreement.

road doggy dogg
12-05-2015, 08:49 PM
PC at all?

#BROKEN Hasney
12-05-2015, 08:56 PM
PC at all?

Maybe, Square are a bit unpredictable with PC releases. At one point they were just doing mobile ports of FF to Steam. Then they did Type 0 out of nowhere, but it doesn't have the FF XV demo and this remake looks to be made in the same engine.

Now Dragon Quest Heroes is on Steam which is fucking weird.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-06-2015, 05:48 AM
Might be people reading to much into it, but this makes sense to me. Cloud in Smash might mean it comes to the Nintendo NX too, whatever the fuck that thing is.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Looks like the Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster is coming to Steam as well, so I'd pretty much say now that Square will be shoving all Final Fantasy onto PC at some point.

Ultra Mantis
12-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Reports are coming in that the remake will actually be released in an episodic format, as made popular by Telltale.

Slow clap for Square Enix. Fucking hell.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 03:24 AM
It's happening and I'm fine with that based on this interview where they talk about the game having just as much content as the original:

-they made multi-release since they would have to cut stuff out if they made it in one game. The detail of the game will be so dense, and you will be able to go to various locations within Midgar that you couldn't go before.
-there will be some stuff that has to be cut, but there will be lots of stuff added. overall volume will be big

A rough translation of http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/173/1173362/

- About the details of splitting the game into episodes, please tell us more.

Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game. Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

If they split it into three parts, we'd be looking at 3 30 hour episodes each based on the original content and that's ignoring all the side shit to do. This way, we'll actually get to play it before 2020 as well.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 03:56 AM
I could've sworn I read a tweet or quote somewhere from S-E where someone asked about it and they said it was... maybe I'm making this up. Could be.

Dunno about back when you first posted about it, but they have now.

Cross-dressing scene will be included. Nomura has yet to work on the design, however.

drave
12-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Are they afrais of putting more than 1 disc in the box?? Calling wankness on the episodic format.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Are they afrais of putting more than 1 disc in the box?? Calling wankness on the episodic format.

Nah, there will likely be a "complete" edition. But considering how early it was when it was shown, you would be looking at 2019 at the earliest for a game as big as this. This way, we might get the first game out by 2017 and have one a year. I'm down with that, those that aren't can wait until it's fully done.

road doggy dogg
12-07-2015, 08:44 AM
I don't have much of an opinion either way, though I find the quote funny:

"Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game."

It would be impossible to make a full game of this full game that came out 20 years ago!

drave
12-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Exactly RDD - the premise is so absurd.

I understand that it "can't be on one disc" sure - but that is when you put in Disc 2 to continue.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Yeah, it's obviously possible, but could be a mis-translation. What he means is a game of this size and scope isn't financially viable as a single release anymore.

Stuff like GTA, Witcher and Fallout are massive and expensive to produce while re-using assets all of the joint. Something like FF7 with all the locations and enemies being so varied having to be remade with HD textures will take a fuckton of work.

I'm fully expecting at least 3 episodes and they're going to be $40 a pop at least. I pretty much expected from the start that at the very least, it would either be more expensive than the typical game or they'd just cut out a fuckton. I prefer this way of doing it compared to cutting shit out.

drave
12-07-2015, 08:56 AM
I will wait for the complete edition I think. It would drive me nuts to have to wait 12 months in-between "episodes".

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 08:58 AM
I will wait for the complete edition I think. It would drive me nuts to have to wait 12 months in-between "episodes".

It normally does for me as well, always wait for episodic games to be fully out.

I'm OK with this one because I think I know how it ends.

road doggy dogg
12-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Aeris' death is probably the "chilling finale" of one of the episodes... f yeah spoilers!

road doggy dogg
12-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Imagine if they don't kill Aeris this time around, because it would "be cool to have her around all game"

would revolt

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 09:06 AM
http://a.disquscdn.com/get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2FVvPbXTH.gif&key=EU6wXcobiOamIqYn0OpBeQ&w=600&h=584

drave
12-07-2015, 09:50 AM
lol, they forgot the $ in epi$ode.

And yea, if they do something as dumb as Aerith living.... then yea. That would be a pretty big fuck up.

Also, despite knowing the ending, I just don't buy the requirement of having a multi-part game for something like this. I get TellTale's thing, but I'm just NotAFan.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 09:57 AM
The multi-part is to get it out earlier and because the budget is so huge and it's easier for people to swallow paying $40 3 times than $120 up front or whatever it will end up costing. It's going to be priced much higher than a normal game when it's all said and done. Basically their options were:

1) Get the game in a timely manner, in one go, but cut out a lot of stuff.
2) Get the game in a timely manner, in one go, complete, but cut production values significantly.
3) Get the game in a timely manner, in various episodes, complete and looking this good.
4) Get the game complete, in one go, and looking this good, but in 2020 if you're lucky and costing over $100 (in which case you might as well wait for them to release all the episodes and buy the inevitable bundle).

drave
12-07-2015, 10:42 AM
It doesn't have to be episodic, if they just do it in one go. Patience is something that the industry (due to consumers) have forgotten.

See: 2014-2015 broken releases.

There is no need to make people pay for it more than once, other than marketing. I refuse to believe that they cannot "fit everything in" with technology more advanced than when the game was created.

I get that requirements for "pretty" games are higher now, but c'mon.

1) Refuse to believe that
2) The technology exists to keep it as great as it is now. Early demos have a history of being "framed" to look better than actual final results anyway.
3) See point 2 and "patience"
4) No reason to charge higher for it, it is a single game. Regardless, peopel will pay for it sure.

What if they do episodic releases and then announce DLC? The initial plan just reeks of going THAT direction.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2015, 11:13 AM
It's not about fitting it, of course it can through multiple discs and digital downloads. The issue is how much it costs.

Back when FF7 came out, it cost $45 million (67 million with 2015 inflation) to make and that's just development excluding the marketing budget. If they're not going to cut anything or reduce the production level (it is likely to look as good as that, play the XV demo and you should see it there too), it's going to cost a magnitude higher to make. You're looking at least GTA V level budget and as big as FF7 was, it'll never touch that number of sales, especially with the state of the Japanese video game market with how mobile has taken over there.

The cost is the reason that 10 and 13 were corridor based games and cut the open maps and vibrant towns, they just didn't have the budget to do things like that in HD. IF they do this right (and that's a big IF) with an open world map, all the varied enemies, chocobo breeding, golden saucer and airship/submarine, then it's worth it and probably required to make a profit.

I'm still totally open to modern square fucking this up, I just don't think this is the reason for it.

drave
12-07-2015, 11:26 AM
I'll give them developmental costs, sure.

I think it'll sell a helluva lot more than what is predicted.

Emperor Smeat
12-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Square Enix hired another studio called CyberConnect2 to help them out with the development of this remake. The studio has helped and worked on FF series games in the past but nothing this large ever before.

Well, the studio behind the Naruto fighting games, CyberConnect2, is apparently helping develop Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura and producer Yoshinori Kitase confirmed CyberConnect2 is helping out with development in an interview with Famitsu.

While the studio has previously helped with smaller Final Fantasy games, this will be its first time working on a main entry in the series.
http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-partially-developed-by-cyberconnect2-324939.phtml

Fignuts
12-07-2015, 07:13 PM
I will wait until the episodes are all out to play it. I've waited this long for an ff7 remake. Whats a few more years?

OssMan
12-07-2015, 07:23 PM
The window for them to do this was on PS3. I would have shit my pants for this then, but now I don't care

road doggy dogg
12-07-2015, 07:29 PM
You're largely in the minority then

Fignuts
12-08-2015, 12:55 AM
I dunno, I think there are a lot of people who gave up on Final Fantasy years ago, due to every release being more disappointing then the last. Now the remake comes out, but at this point, they aren't that interested.

I would probably have been one of them, if my interest hadn't been held by playing the nes and snes games over again in recent years.

Ruien
12-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Fignuts is right. I have 0 interest in purchasing any final fantasy game anymore. We may be in the minority but it is a large minority.

road doggy dogg
12-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Every person I know who has ever had a passing interest in a Final Fantasy game (even if they barely play them anymore) is still wildly excited about this. But whatevs

#BROKEN Hasney
12-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Nah, it's actually not the minority for Final Fantasy as a whole. They took a huge shit on Final Fantasy for an entire generation with XIII and realistically, it's up to XV to bring it back to prominence.

VII will probably do a lot more than any of the XIII games (and probably say the first chapter or whatever will outsell all of XIII combined), but it won't do the 10 million of the original.

Curtis
12-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Looks like an abortion with none of the charm or feel of the original, allowing Square to cash in on the old fans who buy it out of nostalgia and new fans whose first FF games were X and XIII.

Lock Jaw
12-08-2015, 08:50 PM
How does it work nowadays with voiceovers? Can you still rename characters? Being forced to see/hear "Aerith" instead of "Aeris" would be hellish.

Would sound like everyone has a lisp.

OssMan
12-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Everyone will be much better off if you stop asking "will you still be able to" questions (which pretty much are the reason anyone wants to play an FF7 remake) and just realize that they're not trying to appease your nostalgia but instead make pretty much a new game entirely

They'll heavily overdo a couple of moments (like the "Aerith" death) but don't get your hopes up if you're expecting the materia system to come back

OssMan
12-08-2015, 09:16 PM
The trailer shows a couple parts where Cloud is running down a street and he comes to an intersection, I think that is deliberately to show that the game won't be one giant hallway but instead will let you make choices like left or right... idk, the fact that they put that in the trailer worries me, seems like it is deceiving

Battle menu also has attack/magic/summon/item/defend... gets my hopes up also, but really should not expect what i want it to be

Fignuts
12-09-2015, 12:06 AM
I think the materia system will exist in some form, if heavily modified. It's alot more ingrained in the story than a lot of otjer ff systems.

Lock Jaw
12-09-2015, 12:29 AM
Why would they change it? Supposed to be the same game but with new graphics, right?

KIRA
12-09-2015, 01:06 AM
Can I keep Aris this time? She was a beast before she died (which pretty much signaled that she was gonna die)

Fignuts
12-09-2015, 01:09 AM
Pretty sure there would be riots.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-09-2015, 03:14 AM
So, for combat in the interviews:

Final Fantasy VII Remake also aims for, "a seamless active battle." Again with the lengthier answer, Nomura says, "Regarding the battle speed and tempo, for the sake of a stress-free battle, we want to do something on the level of Dissidia Final Fantasy. As far as the degree of action goes, it’s Dissidia Final Fantasy, then Kingdom Hearts, then Final Fantasy VII Remake. There won’t be any actions that require a technique. By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight while thinking strategically."

The ATB gauge (and Limit Breaks) still exists despite this, but "with new ways to be used." You can see the gauge in the video and should pay attention to when it fills and turns red (Barret's attack at 1:22 in the trailer). There will still be three party members, but you can switch freely between them (or just play as one of them, which means AI will handle the others and you can do a Final Fantasy VII run through as just Yuffie).

Another point had them mentioning that strategy in the original involved the materia system, so they may still use it.

Ultra Mantis
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Can I keep Aris this time? She was a beast before she died (which pretty much signaled that she was gonna die)

I always thought she was a bit shit unless you had for some reason totally neglected Restore + All materia while simultaneously going out of your way to obtain her Limit Manual & grinding her Breaks to LV4.

OssMan
12-09-2015, 06:16 PM
"By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight while thinking strategically."

This is the same thing they said for Final Fantasy XIII

OssMan
12-09-2015, 06:18 PM
There never was much strategy in Final Fantasy VII battles IMO, save for a few bosses/enemies, so I don't even think "thinking strategically" should be their focus. Actually, in any game where you have to "think strategically" for each battle, the battles should heavily be the focus of the game, like Final Fantasy Tactics or Resonance of Fate (the first example being a game that did it right, the second a game that did it wrong). People aren't playing FF7 Remake for the battles.

The random battles in FF7 were fun though and random battles are in general, but anything "live action" in a JRPG is really boring to me.

KIRA
12-10-2015, 12:51 AM
I always thought she was a bit shit unless you had for some reason totally neglected Restore + All materia while simultaneously going out of your way to obtain her Limit Manual & grinding her Breaks to LV4.

.............................NO I didn't do that...:shifty:

I was a child ok and wasn't clear on how the materia system worked I only knew they all had limit breaks and I wanted them!

(yes I've played it since then and been wiser.)
but even so if she is used right she can be a beast.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-15-2015, 04:49 AM
According to Famitsu, the first part is scenario complete so hopefully they let us know soon how much of the game is in that part.

Emperor Smeat
12-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Kingdom Heart team is currently helping out the Remake team for the game or at least the first part planned.

Square isn't saying how many volumes are planned yet, nor are they sharing info on online features, but the "main scenario" for the first part is currently completed. Also, they're getting help from the Kingdom Hearts team, the voice cast is expected to be the same as Advent Children, and Cloud's hallucinations will be more "meaningful" this time around.
http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-devs-are-getting-help-from-the-kingdom-hearts-team-326910.phtml

#BROKEN Hasney
12-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Other stuff from Famitsu

They want add delver further into Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.

They have an idea about the number of installments that will be released, but they’re not at the stage where they can say anything.

They’re not talking about online right now.

The scenario of the first part up until its ending is already complete.

They’re getting technological assistance from the Kingdom Hearts team with Unreal Engine 4, since they’ve been using it with Kingdom Hearts III.

Cloud’s hallucination scenes will be more meaningful.

As for the cast, they’re continuing plans with the voice actors from Advent Children, but there are some that still haven’t been offered yet. Red XIII only made a cameo appearance, so his voice is likely to be changed.

Separate from Limit Breaks, there is another unique system. They can’t show it yet, but the it’ll be different depending on the player’s fighting style.

Nothing has been decided about guarding yet.

Fignuts
12-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Wonder if they'll get Mena Suvari for Aerith. Lots of people complained about her, but I thought she was fine. Dunno how you can judge on like two lines alone, anyhow.

Curtis
12-16-2015, 03:00 PM
This installment business is completely ridiculous. Soon it will be like Arcade games with *insert more money to continue game* every 15 minutes. Sequels and expansions are fine, but splitting up a game on purpose to make more money is just being terrible people.

Fignuts
12-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Well we don't know until it comes out. If the first installment is the size of a full game, and worth the price tag, then I'm all for it. Love the world and characters of ff7, and if they can expand on that by making it a multi game deal, then fine.

If not, then you can crucify them and write angry letters, but I think it's better to take a wait and see approach for now.

drave
12-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Fuck yea, new screenshots from the 2nd installment. Should give a good idea where 1 ends and 2 starts:

http://media.kotaku.foxtrot.future.net.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2015/12/xcin3x6yt5himxkuc0cb-620x349.jpg
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--HVZkpoWf--/gqvdizzmnzt4yoxjibal.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--5BwMmu0j--/n2t02qddqzxn7pxaaiuz.jpg

Destor
03-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Demo is out. I pkayed it twice. Once on normal and once on classic (which is locked to easy.) I def prefer classic but its so easy its impossible to tell if its good. Very not sold on this. Why they wouldnt put both modes in both difficulties (and if theres a hard why isnt it included) is beyond me.

Also wish classic auto paused when ATB filled.

Anyhow gorgous game. Cancelled my pre-order though. I need more info.

Destor
03-02-2020, 07:22 PM
WHERE IS SEPH WE MUST CHAT

Destor
03-02-2020, 07:23 PM
The multi-part is to get it out earlier and because the budget is so huge and it's easier for people to swallow paying $40 3 times than $120 up front or whatever it will end up costing. It's going to be priced much higher than a normal game when it's all said and done. Basically their options were:

1) Get the game in a timely manner, in one go, but cut out a lot of stuff.
2) Get the game in a timely manner, in one go, complete, but cut production values significantly.
3) Get the game in a timely manner, in various episodes, complete and looking this good.
4) Get the game complete, in one go, and looking this good, but in 2020 if you're lucky and costing over $100 (in which case you might as well wait for them to release all the episodes and buy the inevitable bundle).
Lol @ this post btw

rez
03-02-2020, 07:25 PM
Deleting games off the PS4 to make rooooom

ClockShot
03-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Demo currently downloading. I'll probably fire it up after work tomorrow and see how this rolls.

Destor
03-02-2020, 08:04 PM
I WANT ALL THE FEEDBACK

Destor
03-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Its roughly an hour. My second run was maybe 20 min. Possibly less

Sepholio
03-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Downloading now, prob won't get to play until tomorrow. Absolutely exhausted atm.

Sepholio
03-02-2020, 08:39 PM
Kinda pissed tbh, set it to download early this morning and then our internet went out 10 minutes later until like an hour ago because the main line got cut somewhere.

Destor
03-02-2020, 08:50 PM
This punishes me on a personal level

Sepholio
03-02-2020, 09:57 PM
I played it and I love it. Think they made it super easy because it's an active tutorial now for the most part and it wasn't in the past. But I like the control scheme and found myself flipping characters and issuing commands on the fly with ease by the time the boss battle rolled around.

Played it in classic mode, will try one of the others tomorrow. I think classic is it's own thing, there is no difficulty level adjustment for it. Swear I read that in a dev interview awhile back.

Really, really pretty game though. Cinematic quality shit. Sound was also good. But the best moment in the demo for me came after I won a battle and Barrett channeled his inner Beavis and Butthead and hummed out the old FF battle victory theme. That just gave me the warm and fuzzies and made my winkum pulsate a tad in my panties.

Destor
03-02-2020, 10:13 PM
In the demo classic is specifically set to easy

Destor
03-02-2020, 10:13 PM
Why its not on normal is beyond me...

Anyways i also popped for barrett doing the prompto fanfare

Sepholio
03-02-2020, 10:17 PM
Well I hope classic is a little harder come full release, gonna try the other way tomorrow like I said, but I really liked the feel of classic mode. Its the mesh of the old atb and new active systems from 13 on that Ive been looking for.

Lock Jaw
03-02-2020, 10:20 PM
Only for PS4? Dang.....

Destor
03-02-2020, 10:55 PM
Well I hope classic is a little harder come full release, gonna try the other way tomorrow like I said, but I really liked the feel of classic mode. Its the mesh of the old atb and new active systems from 13 on that Ive been looking for.if there was a pause when atb filled id be pretty happy...hopefully there's a setting for that on release

Tom Guycott
03-03-2020, 12:02 AM
Sounds promising. However, even though it's slated to drop on my birthday, I will still wait until everything is said and done and buy it all when it's finished, no matter how many years that may take.

Destor
03-03-2020, 01:01 AM
I wonder how much the "complete edition" will cost. No way its $60

Tom Guycott
03-03-2020, 06:27 AM
Eh. It's possible. Would fairly well depend on how Squeenix feels about milking the early adopters as opposed to milking everyone. Given it's Final Fantasy 7, with all the nostalgia and hype that entails, they could just as easily charge pretty much full retail on each part of the bundle, making it cost nearly as much as the next next gen consoles, and people will still buy it up. In any case, by that time, they will have made a fucking mint off of a piecemeal remake of a game that came out in '97.

Destor
03-03-2020, 10:49 AM
It would have to be multiple blurays. No way its just $60. I think youd could sell it at $80 but $100 seems more reasonable.

Sepholio
03-03-2020, 11:25 AM
I would have no issue with them selling it for 100 if they presented it as some kind of collectors thing. Steelbook case with or some other nice alternate case, maybe a little book and a meteor/shinra key chain or something.

Sepholio
03-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Mind you I am the guy that imported the japanese blu-ray version of advent children back in the day just so I could get the japanese FFXIII demo a year before the game came out over here lol

That is to say I eat final fantasy up. Especially anything to do with 7. Or 6,8 and 10 for that matter.

Destor
03-03-2020, 12:52 PM
OR FIVE :'(

Sepholio
03-03-2020, 06:04 PM
or 13.

:shifty:

Ultra Mantis
03-03-2020, 06:41 PM
FF9 is best girl.

rez
03-03-2020, 07:35 PM
Had a boner the whole demo

Tom Guycott
03-03-2020, 11:23 PM
It would have to be multiple blurays. No way its just $60. I think youd could sell it at $80 but $100 seems more reasonable.

Mind you I am the guy that imported the japanese blu-ray version of advent children back in the day just so I could get the japanese FFXIII demo a year before the game came out over here lol

I remember the initial talk was to do a remaster* back then of 7 and package it with Advent Children, then somehow that quietly went away the closer the movie came to fruition.

*remaster wasn't really the go-to term it is now, so that word wasn't used, but that's essentially what it was.

FF9 is best girl.

:y:

Destor
03-04-2020, 12:35 AM
or 13.

:shifty:
I unironically love 13

OssMan
03-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Didnt understand "classic" mode, felt like the other one... game felt a little clunky... worried...

Destor
03-08-2020, 11:07 PM
Classic auto blocks moves and does standard attack if you sit idle while you wait for your ATB to.fill. i believe this was locked to easy to hide the fact that on normal (or higher) this will not be viable

ClockShot
03-10-2020, 07:43 PM
I played, I might cancel the pre-order and wait for the whole ball of wax and if they decide to do changes down the road.

Selected classic mode thinking it would have been a refined style of turn-based combat. Instead, classic is just Final Fantasy 15 combat. Button mash away and/or automatic combat.

On the graphics end, it's purrrrrrrdy.

I wish it was a longer demo. End with the escape and not tease the stuff coming up with just a promo vid.

And, I'll reiterate, although I've heard it, $60 for a partial game is a big ask.

Sepholio
04-19-2020, 06:51 AM
That ending though. Where is part 2.

drave
04-20-2020, 07:28 AM
10+ years from now

OssMan
04-25-2020, 08:11 PM
finished this, brothers.

couple thoughts...

i never wanted this game so my expectations were low. typical final fantasy gripes, hate voice acting, want turn based battles back, etc. i was surprisingly unbothered by the VA and really enjoyed the music, the redux of "underneath the rotting pizza" was truly phenomenal, and it felt like they had 50 different remixes of all the battle themes that were keeping me on my toes. great job there.

i am an ardent disapprover of RPG series straying from their turn based roots into more hollywood-adjacent action style battles, and i was fully anticipating to be annoyed at the combat. i will say i was nonplussed. they still do that stupid stagger shit that seemingly every action RPG since 2008 has implemented which i don't get. the AI was lazy and could have greatly benefitted from a gambit system like they had in XII (don't understand why no other games afterwards have used this, one of the best battle mechanics ever). however, there did seem to be an almost zelda-like aspect to a lot of the big fights, where you had to rely on timing when you're dodging/blocking etc, which i liked. being interrupted when performing an ability is the most fucking annoying thing ever though.

barret was the best character in battle btw. always charging up 2 ATBs from a distance and then unleashing Maximum Fury or whatever its called to annihilate the enemies. aeris was also good, cloud's abilities got kinda useless towards the end. the long range characters were stronger basically.

i hadn't played any entries in FF since XIII in 2010, which left a really bad taste in my mouth. at this point that game seems like a growing pain for the series, and i kept thinking "wow they really learned a lot" whenever there was a mini game/sidequest/game mechanic that was anything beyond running in a straight line and battling. which isn't saying much, but i liked being able to go back and explore midgar, go down different paths, play little mini games, and stuff like that. the bike chase(s) ruled.

which brings me to midgar. the "charm" i feel like of the midgar in FF7 was how weird it was, with random ass robotic hands in the middle of shit, being kinda confused about how everything fits together... and they still had that stuff, but they worked really hard to make this game more coherent. which i think is good. midgar felt "real," but it didn't feel alive. idk. I'm not sure if it's just ps1-colored glasses that romanticize that era for me, but it just wasn't special. not that i really needed it to be though. i liked getting more of a story into some of the characters (was jessie's last name always "rasberry"??? wtf) and some of the small plot twists/ways they subverted the original game. it was nice, nothing more nothing less

i also obviously view the world more politically now than i did when i was 7, but even having replayed the game multiple times it felt like there was a more ubiquitous message surrounding class politics, even going as far as to have derogatory terms for the upper class (platies) and those who grew up in the slums. also interesting to note that the game's about environmental activists turned eco terrorists who are trying to take down a large corporation - square was not a big company when they made ff7, but now they are a $1bn+ corporation, largely thanks to ff7's success.

the first half of the game was kinda slow, a lot of dumb sidequests, wall market/shinra building were awesome. lots of times spent in sewers and facilities it felt like.

it seemed like they felt they had to make a big flashy ending to justify the end of a full price game/huge entry in FF, so that's what happened with that whole singularity/sephiroth battle/zack and cloud walking towards midgar together in some sort of flashback shit. didn't care much for it, just kinda felt fluffed up with typical FF stuff that i don't really understand. and that's all i have to say about that

Emperor Smeat
04-28-2020, 08:42 PM
Seems Square Enix is rethinking their development plans for this game due to how long it took to get the first part out on the market.

Future parts or episodes might be smaller in content in order to shorten up the dev time and prevent big gaps between releases. Although the director for the project also hinted it might just end up being three parts as has been rumored for a long while.

Now that the initial batch of Final Fantasy VII Remake sales are in the rear-view window, director Tetsuya Nomura and producer Yoshinori Kitase are finally starting to open up about where the team could go from here, and it's just as confusing as some of us expected.

Despite the fact that the initial release covers far less than Disc 1 of the original (which is fine in theory), Square Enix has been mum on any sort of timeline for future installments, as well as how much ground those future episodes might cover. In fact, they were pretty remiss to even mention that it would arrive in installments for some time. But most recently in the Ultimania book that went up for sale in Japan, Nomura (as translated by Twitter user aitaikimochi) spoke about what the next "part" could entail.

In response, Nomura explained that "if we divide the story into large parts, it'll take longer to make," and that "if we divide it into more detailed smaller sections, then developing it will be faster." He goes on to say that he hopes to release the next part "ASAP." Kitase clarifies that although they aren't set on how many "parts" it'll be, there is "widespread speculation that it'll be a trilogy," and leaves it at that.

Also, all those wild "they are completely changing the story" assumptions might be just that: assumptions. Kitase says that "we are not drastically changing the story and make it into something completely different than the original. Even though it's a remake, please assume the story of FF7 will continue as FF7 always has."

https://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-creator-says-that-the-project-might-be-broken-into-shorter-stories-to-get-it-out-quicker-588433.phtml

drave
04-29-2020, 08:39 AM
No shit?

It's as if Midgar was a tiny slice of the game. There is such a metric shit ton of content for them to produce. How did they NOT see this coming, or at least have planned for this in some form before now?!

Curious as to the "endgame" as well in regards to returning to various areas. Once you were able to travel to Meteror, you could essentially fly your airship wherever the fuck you wanted. Are they going to have the whole world available?

OssMan
04-29-2020, 09:13 AM
Doubt it, RPGs nowdays usually introduce a fast travel system that takes you from location to location

drave
04-29-2020, 09:25 AM
Point stands. Are they going to have every location available to be fast traveled to?

Just saying..... that's a LOT of work.

OssMan
04-30-2020, 10:32 PM
Gotta imagine theyre gonna streamline/subvert somethings... next game will probably cover up to aeris's death? then one more to finish it out? if they split the games remaining locations between the two it probably wouldnt be that bad. also its not like theyre gonna design the game in the same way where its worthwhile to go back to places... idk

just wouldnt expect chocobo breeding, sunken gelnika n all that... sidequests are mostly fluff

Sepholio
04-30-2020, 11:49 PM
Im thinking at this point that the rest of the story eill come as fairly large sized DLC packs that function kind of like episodes but are based on the core of the first game. That way it will be all one game in the end and the whole world will be available.

drave
05-01-2020, 07:35 AM
I was thinking they would probably have a world map to reference, with pre-selected locations you can go to. That way, it just has to load that part of the world.

But then you miss out on quite a bit if you can't actually traverse the world map.

Bet the Golden Saucer is going to be fun as fuck

drave
05-01-2020, 07:37 AM
Gotta imagine theyre gonna streamline/subvert somethings... next game will probably cover up to aeris's death? then one more to finish it out? if they split the games remaining locations between the two it probably wouldnt be that bad. also its not like theyre gonna design the game in the same way where its worthwhile to go back to places... idk

just wouldnt expect chocobo breeding, sunken gelnika n all that... sidequests are mostly fluff

There were some things that weren't accessible until the endpoint. Not "necessary" events, but things like Ruby and Emerald weapons.

Chocobo breeding is how you get Knights of the Round Table. Sunken Gelnika has the summon Death, as well as some mime materia, iirc.

I played this game way too much.

rez
05-15-2020, 03:54 PM
The game is installing now..had to uninstall a buncha stuff!

rez
05-16-2020, 12:46 AM
had to quit to take a break but dayem. what a slum world

OssMan
05-16-2020, 11:51 AM
couple post-game reviews that i liked...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XsPBVBrBVko" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zphMtYn6W5o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rez
05-22-2020, 01:46 AM
Man..what a goddamn good game. I'm in chapter 14

rez
05-22-2020, 01:53 AM
I'm aboot to come to the end of this saga.. (for now....i'll await you chapter 2)

Next week will be the MK11 expansion...

Fuck..I don't care about throwing more clam shells their way... better that than in game pay to win.

Sepholio
05-22-2020, 04:13 AM
Chapter 2 can't come fast enough. I'm interested to see how they handle the next part since it's where the game moves into the open world. I can't decide if they'll do a world map though, have it typical open world style (skyrim/witcher style) or have it done hub style with large open areas with interconnected towns/dungeons/etc scattered around each hub. I imagine it will be the hub style most likely. I just want to jack the Midgar Zoloms shit and steal the beta skill from him tbh.

rez
05-26-2020, 02:45 AM
just finished..so damn good.

Yeah..I'm gonna guess not open world so much.

OssMan
04-18-2021, 10:23 AM
1 year later what's everyone's thoughts now?

I take back the thing I said about you won't have chocobo breeding and the sunken gelnika side quests... Someone made the point that when remaking this game, they had to address every single aspect of it because it's so many people's favorite game and any given thing could be someone's favorite part of it. There's so much pressure on this remake that they have to address every aspect of it, lest someone be left with a bad taste in their mouth because whatever obscure thing they loved about ff7 wasn't included.

I enjoyed playing this game well enough but I find that I have not thought about it much after beating it. I'm like, "oh yeah, that game came out last year." The fact that they announced a remaster of the game for ps5 is just absurdly hilarious to me

Ultra Mantis
04-18-2021, 07:10 PM
I'm definitely in the minority here but I honestly thought it was a huge disappointment and the story was hot garbage. Gameplay was good. Midgar lost a lot of its charm and I got the biggest kick out of the stupid giant robot hand randomly being turned into a dungeon gimmick rather than anything else. Wall market sucked. The story beats fell flat. Too much Sephiroth and forcing his backstory in way too early. Forgettable (apparently invincible) NPCs straight out of FFXV. Zero stakes. The way they handled the plate destruction was just straight bullshit. The fake out with Barrett was stupid. The plot armour destiny ghosts were dumb as fuck. Seeing the monsters with clear designs instead of collections of geometric shapes was nice. Not really anticipating part two. I'd rather replay the original than do this one again.

Destor
04-18-2021, 07:16 PM
after playing the demo i noped out. gameplay was unapealing. that said i found a copy for $20 so its in my backlog. ill get around to it eventually...

ClockShot
06-16-2022, 07:35 PM
And heeeeeeeeeeeere is the trailer for part 2.

And a disclaimer, this will be a trilogy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BkgeDHUhNtk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Destor
06-16-2022, 07:39 PM
after playing the demo i noped out. gameplay was unapealing. that said i found a copy for $20 so its in my backlog. ill get around to it eventually...
i played it for like 10ish boring hours. ghosts started to attack for some reason so i uninstalled the game and replayed ff7 proper.

OssMan
06-16-2022, 09:18 PM
the last one will be called Final Fantasy 7 Reloaded

It's a shame that current gen games all follow this same structure of like, get an objective, follow a little arrow to it, do some real time combat, all the while they have the same exact style of the camera following behind your guy and dialogue appearing at the bottom of the screen or w/e. It felt like before the PS3 days RPG's were all different, you had some with pre rendered backgrounds, you had music setting the tone for the scenes, all different types of battle systems, different looking dialogue boxes and styles, different world map mechanics, now it all just feels the same.

There's an official game that's coming out that's more like a proper "remake/remaster" of the whole FF7 timeline, including moments from the original game (tbh not sure how much of it though). Seems more interesting to me than the big remake. But i think it's only coming out for mobile or some shit

Destor
06-16-2022, 09:19 PM
yeah mainstream action rpgs are very samey

Fignuts
06-20-2022, 11:12 AM
I've reached the part where you fall into Aerith's church and are running from the Turks.

So far the shadow creatures haven't made me throw up in my mout and turn it off, like it did Destor.

Sepholio
07-05-2022, 10:25 PM
I'm wondering if with the announcement of the Crisis Core remaster that we can expect Genesis to actually play a part in the FF7 remake trilogy. I think we might because I've become more and more convinced that remake is actually a sequel.

drave
07-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Ehrgeiz remake or GTFO