PDA

View Full Version : Talking Point of the Week: NXT Divas on the Main Roster

Poit
07-15-2015, 11:38 AM
TLP Talking Point of the Week:

On Raw, we saw three of the top women in NXT called up - Charlotte, Becky Lynch, and Sasha Banks. In the past, there has been mixed success with this. Paige made a big debut last year and has been a major player in the divas division ever since. Emma and Summer Rae... not so much.

What do you think are the fates of these new divas? Will they get a similar (or maybe even better) treatment as Paige, being pushed somewhat consistently? Or in a few months, will they just join the likes of Emma, Cameron, and Layla in the divas background? Could this debut mark a "turning point" of sorts for the divas division, perhaps signifying that the writers may start caring more about divas storylines?

Lock Jaw
07-15-2015, 07:24 PM
A number of them will definitely end in the background. You need to do more than bring these girls up the main roster. They need to fundamentally change the way they think about female wrestling on the main stage.

They can't just continue with Diva's Champ vs. Challenger while everyone else is the background. They need to have MULTIPLE stories going on, and perhaps even give SEVERAL segments on RAW to Divas. Also, continue putting big divas segments at the top of an hour to make it seem important or whatever...

FakeLaser
07-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I think WWE has finally gotten smart about shit. I didn't love Stephanie McMahon being there to suck the heat away from everyone but having her introduce everyone is still a big rub. They must see how people are reacting to women's matches in NXT and this is the first time they've really developed a whole "roster" of women who can put on good matches. Wrestling usually lags behind other forms of pop culture so it's not surprising that they're still "behind the times" when it comes to women but I think they realize that a huge portion of the audience is, and could be female and that they could easily appeal to the demographic by putting even a modicum of effort into things for once.

Women won't headline pay per views (live specials?) in WWE or anything but I think you'll see some feuds with slightly more substance. They already get more time for matches on RAW. Stephanie and HHH seem invested in this shit.

Seeing how they have handled Kevin Owens and other HHH pet projects has given me faith.

I think in a couple years you'll see your Rosa Mendeses and the like phased out and your Emmas and Bayleys and SHIMMER crew up on the main roster. The Bellas are smart; they see the tide turning, that's why they've worked hard to become better wrestlers to remain relevant. Of course, they'll probably always be around because of Total Divas and who they're married to/dating but yeah.

If it doesn't happen now, it is never going to happen.

Mr. Nerfect
07-15-2015, 09:04 PM
I've got high hopes. Triple H and Stephanie McMahon seem to have more faith in female performers than Vince or Kevin Dunn have ever had, and the NXT programming involving women has been the most exciting stuff they have put out without a past ROH star involved. Politically, there is a lot riding on the success of these girls, given that they might be the best measure of what NXT and the Performance Center can produce, if not just refine.

If you're in a mood to put selfish motives onto Triple H, it's always possible that he one day wants Aurora-Rose to headline WrestleMania. Just a joke, James Steele. But seriously, the environment where women could be a money draw for the company and an alternate main event attraction is desirable, because you can potential have two World Champions to put on a poster at that point in time.

I agree that more time needs to be given to these women, and more stories need to be developed around the girls -- and I have a feeling that they will. Right now, you've got nine girls in a war against each other. Fine. Eventually the participants are going to need to settle into more solitary roles.

Mr. Nerfect
07-15-2015, 09:07 PM
If we're talking specifics, I think Becky Lynch needs to be in the title picture before the others. They gave her the caveat of never having been handed anything in her life, but that type of upwards journey is untested on the main roster. Lynch being an early assertive force in the division would give her the fans' eyes and make her seem like a credible addition. Conversely, I think giving Charlotte too much out the gate would be a mistake. Have her find herself at odds with Natalya and let them tear down the house a few times so people want to see her claw up the ladder. She's going to be one of the more visible females, so give her a spot away from the title.

Sasha Banks has probably got the best gimmick of the three, and I imagine her finding herself at odds with Naomi and possibly Tamina very soon. Banks earning over the services of Tamina is a possibility too. I can imagine her being pretty much anywhere on the show and making it seem important.

FakeLaser
07-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Becky Lynch is mad underrated

Throws fuckin suplexes like Taz

ron the dial
07-15-2015, 09:21 PM
i just want to see all of this eventually lead to a women's hell in a cell

Mr. Nerfect
07-15-2015, 09:24 PM
I expect to see her suplex two girls at one time at either Battleground or SummerSlam.

Spaff
07-15-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm worried for Charlotte , think she is going to be in her fathers shadow for too long to make a real impact and will slowly get pushed into the shadows like natalya is now.

Lock Jaw
07-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Divas Round Robin Tournament

Frank Drebin
07-15-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm just going to assume this goes nowhere. Too much fat to trim on the women's roster that they refuse to let go because Total Divas is the priority in the division, not the product on Raw/SD. This is all going to culminate in a Total Divas episode where the story line is how hard Eva Marie/Bellas are working to fend off the up and comers who aren't on the show....yet.

Look, the whole reason they pulled the trigger on the NxT women was because of the US Soccer team. Which has nothing to do with anything other than they are also women. That's where their heads are. They have no idea whats going to happen next week let alone be able to revamp the whole thing.

FakeLaser
07-15-2015, 11:59 PM
like 50% of the divas on total divas aren't even on RAW or Smackdown. I don't think that's going to be much of a hurdle. Cut a few of them who obviously bring NOTHING to the table (Rosa, Cameron, etc.) and you're good.

Notice Eva Marie is even trying to be an actual wrestler now? Writing is on the wall.

Frank Drebin
07-16-2015, 09:28 AM
They rotate them into and out of the show. They've all been featured for a season except for maybe Tamina, Lana and Layla.

I hope Eva Marie isnt dangerous to put in the ring anymore. If she's ok and has an edge to her personality I think she could be a great heel. Would love to see her get booed by the NXT crowd and beat Bayley or something.

Bottom line is that since WWE has never committed much to the women's division in the past, I'm just going with their track record and saying this goes nowhere. What's the divas match on Battleground gonna be?

FakeLaser
07-16-2015, 06:52 PM
I thought they had Paige vs. Nikki Bella booked for the 1 millionth time.

Even if they don't I'm sure something is on the show. Summerslam will probably get a big tag match. It'd be cool if they let them work a gimmicked tag match like a TLC match or something.

ron the dial
07-16-2015, 06:54 PM
i was serious about my hell in a cell comment. i would love to see the women work a gimmick match. even "just" a cage match would be awesome if they built it so that the feud called for it.

FakeLaser
07-16-2015, 06:58 PM
I think they should put HIAC out to pasture if they aren't going to do it right anymore. Not saying people should be almost killed like Mick Foley or anything but cell matches are so lame now. It's basically a "regular match but with a giant, non-threatening cage with visible footholds obstructing people's views match" now

ron the dial
07-16-2015, 07:06 PM
the problem there is that they've created a PPV that revolves around the concept as opposed to letting the concept revolve around a feud. it takes away any semblance of what hiac used to be when it's happening just because instead of the fact that these 2 motherfuckers hate each other so much that they need to go to hell.

FakeLaser
07-16-2015, 07:09 PM
yeah that's definitely the biggest problem

Ambrose/Rollins could have definitely been blown off in HIAC so that one actually worked

At least they tried to make it a "cool match" even if the diving spot was really fucking dumb and the hologram finish was the worst

ughhhh Dean Ambrose as "guy who is easily fooled by technology (holograms, plugged in televisions)" is the worst

Frank Drebin
07-16-2015, 07:52 PM
A gimmick match would be great, but you would need to bust that out aa the right time. Couldn't just do it on the fly with a weeks build. It's one of the few things that hasn't been done (I'm sure I'm wrong, but work with me here) so to capitalize they'd have think it through.

Can you imagine the crowd if two women put on a 5 star hardcore (or whatever) match? The build for the thing would be like a Ronda Rousy fight. <------ This is what they should aim for with the women. It would put the participants over for life and - dare I say it - the division. If that happened for Eva Marie and Cameron, the crowd would be shocked in amazement. Now imagine two (or however many) "legitimized" women the crowd is already behind. That would be awesome.

Frank Drebin
07-16-2015, 08:00 PM
I thought they had Paige vs. Nikki Bella booked for the 1 millionth time.

Even if they don't I'm sure something is on the show. Summerslam will probably get a big tag match. It'd be cool if they let them work a gimmicked tag match like a TLC match or something.

I'm confused with the timing if thats the case. They just brought these women up, and now they get put on the backburner immediately? Maybe they haven't made a decision on what they're doing on Sunday. Would love to see a couple of them in singles squash matches just so the WWE crowd keeps them in mind and sees them as a threat.

Emperor Smeat
07-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Charlotte likely joins Paige as the top stars or new foundation for the division post-Bella era. Considering how well their matches were together, could see Sasha act as "The Rock/Lita" to Charlotte in terms of that being a defining feud of the division.

Don't see Becky having the fate of Emma or Summer in terms of being completely misused or botched but probably not someone the division would revolve around for a while. Probably like Natalya as someone who can put on good matches or be a reliable opponent when needed.

In terms of the division itself, WWE needs to treat the division like they do with the US title at the moment except with a lot longer rebuilding time needed. Probably not going to really start until the Bellas stranglehold over the division ends. All depends on how well Triple H can get Creative to consistently care as much towards the division like on NXT and not dropping interest after a while.

FakeLaser
07-16-2015, 11:52 PM
I'm confused with the timing if thats the case. They just brought these women up, and now they get put on the backburner immediately? Maybe they haven't made a decision on what they're doing on Sunday. Would love to see a couple of them in singles squash matches just so the WWE crowd keeps them in mind and sees them as a threat.

There isn't enough time to build to another match. I could see it ending in a clusterfuck after Brie and Alicia Fox inevitably get involved.

XL
07-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Do Paige vs. Nikki. Have The Bellas attempt Twin Magic, but Paige is wise to it. Alicia Fox then gets involved for the DQ. Best down commences, Charlotte and Becky make the save, Team BAD (ugh) get involved. Teddy Long comes out and says "Hold on just a minute, playettes! Looks like we have ourselves a 3 vs 3 vs 3 tag team match! Holla, Holla, Holla".

Or make Nikki go one-on-one with Da Undertaker.

Frank Drebin
07-18-2015, 05:17 PM
They're stupid if they don't further this storyline at Battleground. Like I said, they have no idea what they're doing week to week. Yes, they'll have a 3v3v3 match or some variant at Summerslam, but they have no idea how they'll get there or what to do after.

Lock Jaw
07-18-2015, 05:27 PM
Queen of the Ring tournament so one of them can win and then start taking the title of queen literally, telling people to "all hail" and talking about "royal proclamations" and so on....

Oh, and they'll have to be immediately jobbed out afterwards.

Simple Fan
07-18-2015, 05:57 PM
They need to take a look at the Knockouts in TNA. I know Lol TNA but they do present the Knockouts on par with the men. They do gimmick matches and have lengthy matches on impact. Another thing is that damn belt. The NXT divas title looks better than the WWE divas title. Would be cool to see Charlotte win the Divas title and proclaim that she is a woman and not a "Diva" and we get a new WWE World Women's Champion.

XL
07-18-2015, 06:56 PM
I thought about Sasha doing that and having the Women's Championship replace the Divas' but I can't see that WWE branding being bumped off.

Mr. Nerfect
07-18-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm not sure what they do at Battleground, but it'll have to be something. They could do Paige, Charlotte & Becky vs. Team BAD, with the champion's team looking on. Sort of a "first look" at these girls. They could do a member of each team fighting -- probably Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks vs. Alicia Fox. I'm thinking they just do another fight segment, or actually do the 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 match at Battleground.

Mr. Nerfect
07-18-2015, 07:51 PM
I just re-listened to Paul Heyman talking about the SmackDown Six on Chris Jericho's podcast with Edge. What Heyman did with them is essentially what the WWE have the ability to do with these girls. You've got so many permutations for different clashes, and you've still got girls in the wings -- Natalya, Emma, Layla, Bayley.

DAMN iNATOR
07-18-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure what they do at Battleground, but it'll have to be something. They could do Paige, Charlotte & Becky vs. Team BAD, with the champion's team looking on. Sort of a "first look" at these girls. They could do a member of each team fighting -- probably Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks vs. Alicia Fox. I'm thinking they just do another fight segment, or actually do the 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 match at Battleground.

I have no problem with the 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 9-diva tag match, IF they'd be willing to A.) Not shoehorn it onto the Pre-Show, and B.) Give the girls time to shine by letting them have 10-15 minutes, as opposed to the usual like 4-8 minutes tops.

Poit
07-19-2015, 02:25 PM
I just re-listened to Paul Heyman talking about the SmackDown Six on Chris Jericho's podcast with Edge. What Heyman did with them is essentially what the WWE have the ability to do with these girls. You've got so many permutations for different clashes, and you've still got girls in the wings -- Natalya, Emma, Layla, Bayley.

Has Layla done anything in the past couple years?

Lock Jaw
07-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Was Fandango's dance partner and then had feud vs. Summer Rae that somehow lead to turning on Fandango and joining Summer Rae and forming "The Slayers" and feuding with Fandango....... which all then went nowhere and was forgotten about.

Poit
07-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Because we got so many responses after we recorded last week (and because this is probably my favorite ongoing story right now), we're going to cover this topic again on tomorrow's episode.

If you have any more thoughts after Battleground and Raw, post them. :)

Lock Jaw
07-21-2015, 08:39 PM
I think the real test comes after the current 3 vs 3 vs 3 story is done.

Can they do two SEPERATE stories, devote time to them, make fans care....etc....

Mr. Nerfect
07-21-2015, 09:03 PM
I think the recipe for continuing the stories here should be fairly simple. Latch onto something that connects the female talent and exploit it in a rivalry. Naomi is billed as being a tremendous "pure athlete" or whatever that means. The same is being done for Charlotte. There's a rivalry and a story for them to tell when they are in the ring again.

Tamina and Charlotte both have famous daddies. Exploit that. Charlotte and Alicia Fox are both in the Tapout commercial. Charlotte and Sasha Banks have their NXT history. Real simple stuff, but you build up those dramatic points and use them to enhance not just an overall story, but specific developments between the ladies.

Mr. Nerfect
07-30-2015, 08:53 PM
I know people are expecting 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 at SummerSlam, but just to provide an alternative: I wouldn't mind it if they had three women's matches over the SummerSlam/Takeover weekend.

* Nikki Bella (c) vs. Becky Lynch for the Divas Championship
* Sasha Banks (c) vs. Paige for the NXT Women's Championship
* Charlotte & Bayley vs. Emma & Dana Brooke

Keep in mind I haven't read NXT spoilers. Charlotte has been called out by Bayley (respectfully), but Emma & Dana Brooke could easily crash that party. Yes, they fought at the last Takeover, but there is added heat to the match now. I guess you could hypothetically add Carmella and Alexa Bliss to the match too. Whatever. Charlotte & Bayley ('s team?) win the match and then wrestle to build up Bayley as a challenger.

Paige gets a win back against Sasha and then asserts herself as the Takeover challenger. She hasn't been on NXT in a while, but Paige was a big star for NXT, and they might want to push ticket sales further. Banks would likely retain, but honestly, a title change wouldn't bother me, and Paige could drop the title to Bayley pretty easily.

Becky Lynch gets the Divas Title match after either defeating Nikki Bella in a non-title match, or Nikki keeps avoiding Lynch. The Bellas try to stir up trouble by making Charlotte and Paige mad Lynch is getting a shot, despite being the third wheel who was never even the NXT Women's Champion. Lynch can lose the match after Team BAD crash the match. Paige & Charlotte save her from a beat-down.

I dunno, something like that could be pretty cool if the 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 becomes a clusterfuck.