PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Build-Ups Ever?

hb2k
07-20-2015, 03:35 AM
So for this week's podcast we're looking at the Best Build-Ups in Wrestling History, and would like to get some feedback on which ones really struck a chord with you and why.

The only criteria is that it can apply to a show, a match or a debut, but essentially it's simple - which hype jobs were the best ones you ever saw and truly worked to get you more excited to see something than you've ever been otherwise for wrestling? The more explanation on why you loved the build, the better.

As always, we'll be reading the best contributions on the show and crediting you accordingly, so what do you think?

EDIT - The show discussing your candidates for Best Build-Ups is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/2h6fxu/SCGRadio47-TheBestBuildUpsinWrestlingHistory.mp3

DAMN iNATOR
07-20-2015, 05:28 AM
<iframe src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xcn8ez_wrestlemania-26-undertaker-vs-shawn_sport" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

That HAS to be one of if not the MOST epic WrestleMania match promos of the past 5 years. Especially when you see Shawn reply to Undertaker that "If I can't beat you at WrestleMania, I HAVE no career.", then you KNEW that shit had just become very, very real and very, very personal between those two in an instant.

I don't know what's more amazing, that promo, or the fact that the match not only lived up to, but far exceeded anyone's expectations beyond our wildest dreams. The fans REALLY hit the jackpot who got to see that match live, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't envy each and every last one of them who got to have that privilege.

Nicky Fives
07-20-2015, 05:30 AM
"White Shawn" versus "Black Taker"..... simple, yet complex at the same time.....

Shisen Kopf
07-20-2015, 06:39 AM
<iframe src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x7r7az_the-rock-vs-hollywood-hulk-hogan-wr_sport" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Have I ever mentioned the fact that I was at WM18? Not sure if I've ever shared that fact with tpww.

DAMN iNATOR
07-20-2015, 06:40 AM
Have I ever mentioned the fact that I was at WM18? Not sure if I've ever shared that fact with tpww.

That's news to me. This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Shisen Kopf
07-20-2015, 06:41 AM
My favorite build up for a match is a tie. Either Edge vs Booker T at WM18 (I was there) fighting over some Japanese shampoo commercial or Kane vs Jericho feuding over Jericho spilling hot coffee on Kane. Riveting stuff.

Maluco
07-20-2015, 08:48 AM
The Rock vs Austin at X7 felt like the biggest match of all time during the build up. Was probably the peak time for the business as a whole too, with everything converging to that PPV and that match. It felt monumental, so I would go for that. And of course, the build itself and THAT My Way video package.

From a story point of view would go for the Mega Powers implosion. Was a rollercoaster of a build and both guys played the role brilliantly. Perfect for remembering how good an all round performer Savage was too. Hearing Hulk talk about how he drove him to another level by slapping him in that famous training room segment explained why it all felt so real.

Heyman
07-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Summerslam 98' - highway to hell - Austin vs Taker

Wrestlemania 17 - Houston we have a problem - Austin vs. The Rock

Wrestlemania 14 - Austin vs HBK

DAMN iNATOR
07-20-2015, 09:04 AM
I don't know if it's worthy of this thread, but Rock v. Hogan II @ No Way Out 2003 I seem to recall got a decent build.

Was also an interesting dynamic in the match, too, with Rock, who had been the babyface @ x8 now portraying the heel, and Hogan as the face.

Rammsteinmad
07-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Daniel Bryan, pretty much from Summerslam 2013 all the way to Wrestlemania 30.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rsX1ATcyQxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seth82
07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
The way ECW built up Taz and Sabu's feud was amazing

You really believed these two hated each other imo

Heyman
07-20-2015, 09:46 AM
I'll be honest - back in 2001, I loved wrestling as much as I loved NHL hockey (hockey is my #1 passion in life).

Heading into that Austin/Rocky main-event, it almost felt like going into a NHL Stanley Cup Game 7 Final. I think the fans in attendance felt the same way as they went absolute batshit insane when Austin came out. Fans continued to go nuts when Austin took it to The Rock during those first few minutes.

Heyman
07-20-2015, 09:49 AM
With Austin/HBK, you just knew that a changing of the guard was about to take place, and that the freight train known as the Austin machine was about to take this company (and industry) to an entirely different level. With Tyson added into the mix, you simply couldn't ignore this PPV.

Heyman
07-20-2015, 09:52 AM
The hype for Summerslam 98' was also off the charts. The whole Kane/Taker being in cahoots angle, combined with the fact that Taker and Austin would be going up against one another (both had been made to look unbeatable), along with the AC/DC "Highway to hell" theme made this entire PPV larger than life.

Evil Vito
07-20-2015, 09:56 AM
<font color=goldenrod>For video packages, the "My Way" one for Rock/Austin at WM17 was the best by a country mile IMO, and that's saying something because WWE have done some phenomenal video packages over the years.

Bryan at WM30 was wonderful and all that but I can't call it a perfect long-term build to Mania when it's clear as day that Bryan's "story arc" was meant to end at HIAC 2013 and that they had zero intentions of actually having Bryan main event the show at all.</font>

Johnny Vegas
07-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Definitely Rock v. Austin at WrestleMania 17. I can still hear Howard Finkel in my head introducing it...the crazy difference about then and today's booking is that Rock and Austin feuded on MULTIPLE occasions before that match and not once did it feel "overdone". It's almost like Ali v. Frazier. Today, things need to be booked to make sense again, not just because "its something to do".

Sticking with Ali matches as an analogy, i would say that Rock v. Hogan was Ali v. Foreman-like because the crowd/fans made the match way more emotional.

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Bret vs Owen was tremendous. A nice slow build from even before survivor series '93, culminating with Owens turn at rumble 94. That match was emotional because the Hart boys seemed desperate to win the tag belts together and Owen even more desperate to get out from Brets shadow. There was a feeling of urgency in the rumble match vs the quebeccers and Bret being the master of psychology he was, was able to make himself the ultimate sympathetic babyface with a knee injury which would come back to haunt him in their match at mania. And yet in all of this, in the heat of the emotion, one had to sympathize with Owens frustration.

It was "Hart" breaking when the Hart brothers split because their connection seemed so genuine. The emotions were real and from the point of Owen's turn, regardless of whether the Wwf machine was behind them, each match had a sense of urgency. Without spilling an ounce of blood, they partook in a blood feud, and we're at one another's throats on and off for 3 years. And from the inception of the storyline, it took about 5 or 6 months for them to tangle, and only wrestled at summerslam after mania, while they kept building Owen as a thorn in brets side.

Maybe more a candidate for favourite feud, but still, it was nothing without the steady, consistent build.

DAMN iNATOR
07-20-2015, 11:50 AM
The hype for Summerslam 98' was also off the charts. The whole Kane/Taker being in cahoots angle, combined with the fact that Taker and Austin would be going up against one another (both had been made to look unbeatable), along with the AC/DC "Highway to hell" theme made this entire PPV larger than life.

How did you feel about the build to and outcome of Rock v. HHH in the Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship? Just wondering.

Bad News Gertner
07-20-2015, 12:19 PM
I started watching wrestle in late 86 early 87 and Hulk Hogan was my idol, so Andre tore off Hogan's necklace on Piper's Pit I could not wait to see my hero slam that big evil Giant.

Heyman
07-20-2015, 12:29 PM
How did you feel about the build to and outcome of Rock v. HHH in the Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship? Just wondering.

Oh, tremendous. That whole Nation/DX feud was money right from the get-go, and I absolutely loved the whole Rock/HHH feud heading into Summerslam. I'd even go as far as saying that the Rock/HHH rivalry is one of the most underrated rivalries of all-time. People talk about Rock/Austin, Austin/Vince, Bret/Shawn, etc., but I think Rocky/Hunter was right up there with those rivalries.

That whole Summerslam 98' card was gold. Ken Shamrock/Owen Hart was another epic feud heading into that PPV.

Emperor Smeat
07-20-2015, 06:01 PM
HBK vs Taker feud leading up to Mani 26's Streak vs Career match. Match and feud build was easily the best streak feud Taker.

Lock Jaw
07-20-2015, 07:30 PM
The definitive answer if Hogan vs. Sting at Starrcade. Even the entrances for the match were so "hype" with the lasers.... the music.... the half dissolves....

The Condor
07-21-2015, 12:02 AM
Simple build, Kane and UT in 97-98. Off the charts with excitement even if the in ring action couldn't back it up.

The build for a potentially huge Jake/Savage match at WM 8 had me, but plans change and all that jazz.

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-21-2015, 12:51 AM
Oh shit, Jake and Savage was off the god damned charts. There was more business to be done with them, but Savage's neuroses prevented it from going further. Jake's rapey terrorizing of Elizabeth was about as big a hell as you could imagine at the time... I feel like there was more realism elsewhere with similar angles in different territories, but nothing at such a big scale. Never got quite got the right blow off, but their matches at Tuesday in Texas and on SNME were wildly intense brawls and a lot of fun.

Mr. Nerfect
07-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Pretty much agree with Vito on Austin/Rock. Daniel Bryan's story came together in a good way, but the road was very, very bumpy.

I remember being really pumped during the whole Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels feud in 2008. I don't know if you'd call that a good "build" or just a good feud in general, but each match felt "can't miss," and something needs to take credit for that.

The build to Punk vs. Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 was really simple, but changed how a lot of things were viewed. Punk's "pipe-bomb" promo brought in shoot elements, sure, but I also liked how Punk didn't play your traditional heel and even gave Cena some credit heading into the match. It, again, felt like a "can't miss" event.

Mr. Nerfect
07-21-2015, 10:05 PM
HBK vs. Angle had a pretty good build-up from memory. But that was partially because I just wanted to see the match. It did have this classic number though:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RegHMfhrk4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Nerfect
07-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Batista's build to the eventual face turn against Triple H and Ric Flair was really well done too. The thumbs down...chills...

DAMN iNATOR
07-21-2015, 11:24 PM
HBK vs. Angle had a pretty good build-up from memory. But that was partially because I just wanted to see the match. It did have this classic number though:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RegHMfhrk4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I miss Angle, that goofy bastard. Hope he at least shows up in WWE once more, if only to accept an eventual HoF induction. :'(

Heyman
07-21-2015, 11:36 PM
The "build up" for Mr. Yamaguchi getting revenge on Val Venis was also epic. Yamaguchi made the threat, "choppee choppee your pee pee" and the entire WWE Universe wondered as to how Yamaguchi would get his revenge on the Big Valbowski.

A week later, our question was answered. In a surprise move, Taka turned heel and attacked Val Venis (being revealed as the brother of Mrs. Yamaguchi).

Taka and Kaientai were successful in chopping off Val Venis' dick.

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-25-2015, 12:47 PM
when will the podcast be up?

DAMN iNATOR
07-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Had to delete my first post about Rock vs. He Who Shall No Longer Be Named, Especially after reading the stuff he said about Rock. Fucking disgusting.

Hate to say it, but I'm actually very seriously considering selling my WM x8 & WM 21 DVDs...

Bad News Gertner
07-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Pshhh that was the greatest match ever. Hogan rules.

#1-norm-fan
07-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Had to delete my first post about Rock vs. He Who Shall No Longer Be Named, Especially after reading the stuff he said about Rock. Fucking disgusting.

Hate to say it, but I'm actually very seriously considering selling my WM x8 & WM 21 DVDs...

Call me racist... but I will NOT be taking the Suburban Commando poster down from my wall.

DAMN iNATOR
07-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Call me racist... but I will NOT be taking the Suburban Commando poster down from my wall.

Hey, no judgment here. To each their own. :D

Lock Jaw
07-25-2015, 09:18 PM
http://www.wrestlearmy.com/wrestlearmy/614.jpg

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-25-2015, 09:32 PM
What did Hogan say about the rock

DAMN iNATOR
07-26-2015, 02:32 AM
What did Hogan say about the rock

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKsD6jYWIAA4vIq.jpg

If he really feels this way, why did he agree to LOSE to Rock twice within 1 year, once at WM x8 (Shisen can confirm, he was there...), and at No Way Out 2003, not to mention shaking Rock's hand after the WM match, and letting himself be talked back into returning to the "red and yellow" Hogan of old the night after x8 on RAW, and then he even TEAMED with Rock that same night vs. Hall and Nash? :nono:

You broke my damned heart, Hogan. :'(

hb2k
07-26-2015, 07:49 AM
I want to thank everybody for the suggestions in this thread, we got to a lot of them on the show, which is now available to listen to at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/2h6fxu/SCGRadio47-TheBestBuildUpsinWrestlingHistory.mp3

Join us as talk about the all-time great build-ups in wrestling history, discussing the hype and storylines behind Hogan Vs. Sting, Sabu Vs. Taz, WrestleMania 3, Rock Vs. Austin, Austin Vs. Bret, Flair at Starrcade 93, Bret Vs. Owen, Virgil and Batista's babyface turns, the journey of Book-Dust, Michaels Vs. Taker and many many more, as we break down some of the best jobs creating anticipation we've ever seen. A fun trip down memory lane this week, check it out!

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks for shouting out my sweet pun :lol:

hb2k
07-27-2015, 05:44 AM
Well it did deserve to be spotlighted B-)