PDA

View Full Version : Intercontinental title

johnsmagic
07-21-2015, 09:05 AM
When did the intercontinental title lose its prestige .. Was it when they brought back the world heavyweight title ??

And is The Ryback the right guy to get back to the level it once was.. In my opinion I don't think he is. Personal I think they should put the belt on someone like cesaro the intercontinental belt was known as the wrestlers belt

Big Vic
07-21-2015, 09:11 AM
I think Reigns can get it to where it once was, they are going to meaninglessly job him out so I think the title would stay on him for quite a bit.

Rammsteinmad
07-21-2015, 10:43 AM
The Intercontinental never lost it's prestige, we all just grew up.

Evil Vito
07-21-2015, 10:52 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I honestly feel like Bryan holding the belt was going to do wonders for it, and I think he would have defended it regularly like Cena was with the US belt (I'm thinking Bryan could have done his own take on the Open Challenge - but on SmackDown instead of Raw).

But then Bryan got hurt, and the belt then went right back to the same state of flux it had already been in.</font>

XL
07-21-2015, 11:15 AM
They should have Owens take it, in an attempt to make it more prestigious than Cena's US Championship. A sort of "Cold War" between the two, where they go off into separate feuds but always have one eye on each other. Eventually you could do a unification match, at Mania, even.

Part of the "prestige" problem is having 2 secondary titles. The 2 World titles didn't help.

XL
07-21-2015, 11:16 AM
But more so, it's the treatment of the guy holding the title. So many IC champions have been mishandled by the booking, constantly jobbing, not involved in meaningful feuds.

Johnny Vegas
07-21-2015, 11:20 AM
I honestly think it went with the inVasion. I mean at one point i didn't know who was IC, US, Cruiserweight, etc. When people like the Macho Man, Stone Cold, Rock, Shamrock, and those guys had it, it was like a "you're almost there" feel to that superstar in our eyes.

drave
07-21-2015, 11:28 AM
The Intercontinental never lost it's prestige, we all just grew up.

No.

But more so, it's the treatment of the guy holding the title. So many IC champions have been mishandled by the booking, constantly jobbing, not involved in meaningful feuds.

This - more so than anything. Look at the US title in the past couple months.

Heyman
07-21-2015, 11:32 AM
My hope is this:

IF Cesaro isn't slated to be pushed big time this year into the main-event, then my hope is that HE is made the IC champion and is given a long and lengthy run as IC champion.

Big Vic
07-21-2015, 12:41 PM
This - more so than anything. Look at the US title in the past couple months.
Its been working its way up for longer than that with Rusev not losing matches, Sheamus.... I honestly can't remember his reign except for him beating ambrose and losing to Rusev. But I don't remember him jobbing either.

Finally when Ambrose held the title he never really lost many matches although he never really defended the title much either.

On the flip side the IC belt holder always seems to lose on SD! to build up a challenger.

The Condor
07-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Part of me thinks it lost luster in the Kliq era with the whole debacle between Dean Douglas/Razor/Michaels refusing to job.

Realitically though, the Chyna/Jericho deal did it for me.

As for the right guy, I believe in Ryback.

NormanSmiley
07-21-2015, 05:01 PM
2 points, the attitude era put it on life support because dumb fucking fans gave a shit about a hardcore title and could care less about actual wrestling matches.

Second giving guys the world totle before ic runs put the nail in its coffin, see swagger, sheamus, rollins, etc

Ruien
07-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Ryback has the title. What else can you ask for?

ron the dial
07-21-2015, 05:36 PM
someone else to have the title?

Ruien
07-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Haters going to hate.

Ruien
07-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Seriously can't think of another mid card wrestler that would help the belt more.

Bad News Gertner
07-21-2015, 05:57 PM
It's Ryback's title and I hope he never loses it.

Get Aids faggots

Emperor Smeat
07-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Seriously can't think of another mid card wrestler that would help the belt more.

Cesaro could probably pull it off although it would require to treat the belt like the US title with its own weekly showcase event and pool of good talent.

US belt benefited a lot with Cena as champ since the WWE always puts more effort with stuff involving Cena and the Challenge series being a great idea to boost the belt's prestige.

Savio
07-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Reignsssssssssssssssssss

Mr. Nerfect
07-21-2015, 07:32 PM
I was happy for Ryback when he won the title, but he just hasn't been working as champion. I was pulling for The Miz to win the title at Battleground. Cesaro would be a better choice as champion. Chris Jericho coming back to win title #10 would be cool. Dean Ambrose would be a good choice, and should have won the title from Barrett at Fast Lane.

Simple Fan
07-21-2015, 11:36 PM
The IC title is cursed the last few guys to hold it have gotten hurt. I agree with Reigns getting the IC before he win the WWE title. A good Reigns/Ryback feud for the IC could be good. Both could be faces fighting for the right to be IC champion.

Jazzy Foot
07-21-2015, 11:49 PM
I think having multiple titles on the roster isn't a bad thing as it adds significance to matches and gives something to fight for rather than an ordinary grudge match. Heck I'd love to see revivals of the Cruiserweight and TV Titles.

BUT what diminished the prestige of the IC title.........having both the WWE and WHC for so long. You effectively had two champions, two top dogs although after some time the WWE title was given higher priority.

Basically in the pre WCW acquisition days the IC title was viewed as the second biggest title in the WWE and some would argue the IC title holder was considered the second biggest star to the WWE Champion and in the bracket of "top contenders" for the WWE title.

The introduction of the WHC meant there was now something else to pursue so the big stars were allocated accordingly also along the lines of the brand extensions etc.

The IC title kind of just got left behind.

Anyone who has followed wrestling for a long time will know the prestige of the IC title and those who held the belt are amongst some of the most iconic stars of all time.

But as we saw with WM 28 and now with the upcoming Summer Slam, you don't need a title or the WWE title on the line to be a main event.

So if the main event is a singles match, then next is the WWE title match......the IC title falls down the pecking order.

DAMN iNATOR
07-22-2015, 12:12 AM

Cesaro could have a good run with it if he doesn't end up eventually winning the US Championship.

Heisenberg
07-22-2015, 08:52 AM
HBK's run with the IC title was great, I always look to that when things look grim for the strap

GD
07-22-2015, 09:02 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PqN6pl1IAKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She did get treated for who she was :shifty:

Heyman
07-22-2015, 01:05 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PqN6pl1IAKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She did get treated for who she was :shifty:

Hmmm......

This might be your best post to date Guru Dave. :D