PDA

View Full Version : Movie rating discussion

Boomer
05-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Ok so while my job working at school ended this week, we watched a considerable amount of movies in the last few days.

What struck me is that movies we watched. Obviously we watch G or PG cus its elementary school children.

But the issue is the fact that the movies we watched weren't children-rated type movies.

Movies we watched:

Antz
Haunted Mansion
Goonies

All PG

And you wouldn't believe the amount of "crap" "damn" and "ass" in these movies. I know it may sound stupid, but when I was that age, I rarely saw anyhting like that. I watched stuff like The Wizard or The Muppet movies, and they were very kid friendly.

So basically what I'm trying to ask is, have the ratings changed over the past few years. I mean I guess its obvious they have a little, but do you think its gone out of proportion? Do you think having more ratings would help or what?

Triple A
05-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Nah, those movies are definitely all PG.

If they were all kid stuff, it would be G.

PG is "parental guidance suggested."

Boomer
05-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Nah, those movies are definitely all PG.

If they were all kid stuff, it would be G.

PG is "parental guidance suggested."

Well obviously. But I dunno exactly what I'm trying to say. Like I'd have a bunch of kids come up to me and start crying because they said their parents wouldn't let them see the movies they were playing. I'm not saying the movies I mentioned are PG-13-worthy or anything, I'm just wondering where most people draw the lines for ratings and such.

How do you think the ratings should apply?

El Capitano Gatisto
05-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Those kids are obviously ****ing stupid.

Boomer
05-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Those kids are obviously ****ing stupid.

Yeah I agree with you. But it has to be the parents fault too. I mean sometimes when I was little I wouldn't play Mortal Kombat because I thought my parents would flip if they found out. Eventually I learned there was nothing they could do to stop me.

What I think is that ratings suck. TV Ratings are stupid and suck and nobody cares abotu them. Workers at gaming stores don't give a shit about ESRB ratings. Parental Advisory stickers are a joke.

I seriously just wanna know how the hell they deem something offensive.

(Haha we are getting into theory of knowledge here)

Ok I was watching TV today and they started talking about Jay-Z's video for 99 problems. They were saying it was SO offensive because he gets shot and killed in it, and that they wouldn't air it that often. But WTF. Britney Spears has a slit wrist in her video and "drowns", but it isn't as offensive becuase at the end she smiles.

I've come to a conclusion. Ratings are stupid. Ratings keep people from seeing good movies and listening to good music. Lets get rid of em.

Shaggy
05-23-2004, 01:06 AM
When I think of the ratings system now and then the way it was in the past I think of Rolllerball. Look at the old Rollerball movie. That movie was rated R and it had barely any cuss words in it. There was a little blood but not much. If the old Rollerball was rated today it would probably get a PG or a PG13 rating. Now compare it to the new rollerball. The new one had cussing, violence and some nudity in it and it was only rated PG 13. So yes the board has changed over the years.