PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Vignettes

The Condor
04-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Lately, it seems that the WWE is buying into its own NXT hype, and has taken the opportunity to debut multiple talents on the main roster without any build whatsoever.

I, for one, believe that this is bordering on arrogance. The Network is in 1.3 million homes, approximately, with RAW viewership anywhere between 3 and 3.5 million. From what I understand, only about 30-50% of subscribers watch or follow NXT, so a few hundred thousand, or just 20% or so of WWE weekly viewers, and I consider myself in that majority, though I have seen some of the Takeover specials.

So, Baron Corbin, Apollo Crews, Enzo+Cass, the Vaudevillains, and Sami Zayn show up. The characters are undefined, they are unknown entities getting pushes that seem baseless, and fans, such as I, are not introduced in anyway to who these guys are, what their motives are, or why they are doing what they are doing. They simply show up in their NXT gimmicks, cut their NXT lines, and get a reaction from the segment of fans who are in the know, and not much else from the others.

I believe that the lackluster reactions for most of these guys can be traced back to the lack of introduction of any kind. No build, no vignettes, nothing. It seems that the WWE has caught on and tried a small piece with Crews this week, but it was lame and useless. And they finally produced a piece explaining the Zayn-Owens feud 3 MONTHS after they reignited it at the Rumble. I was unaware of their issues or backstory, and was just going with it as an NXT feud that carried over to the main roster. Regardless, if you are an NXT fan or not, that is a shit job of storytelling and promotion.

Is arrogance the reason for lack of character introduction? Indifference? Loss of the ability to do so? Do most of you guys even care or understand? Discuss...

Destor
04-29-2016, 04:28 PM
30% of an audience knowing a guy is honestly enough to get him over organicly. Guys next to you in the crowd get excited, you pay attention because of it. His work is worth your time so he gets over. The end.

You dont NEED video packages. Your mentality might even be dated. Isntead of looking at the thing think of the things purpose.

NXT kind of IS the vignettes now.

More over by using NXT this way its a great way to push the network.

Simple Fan
04-29-2016, 04:35 PM
I just think its a lack of creativity. Agree with you on the NXT stuff and that might be a reason for a ratings drop. They bring up NXT guys and girls and make them top contenders for a title right off the bat. It kind of relays the message that NXT is equal to the main roster. Not every NXT call up get those opportunities like Rose, Breeze, And Dallas and they haven't had the most success so I see why they do it I guess. I know myself I'm not a fan of the NXT call ups getting title shots and would rather see them have more of a build towards getting a title shot. Feel like these recent call ups were a desperate attempt to satisfy a hot fan base after Roman won the title.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-29-2016, 04:40 PM
I don't see it as a desperate play to the fan base, I saw it as needed with all the injuries.

The Condor
04-29-2016, 04:50 PM

Only for the small percentage who watch. For the majority--regular WWE fans--it is not even close.

Simple Fan
04-29-2016, 04:58 PM
I don't see it as a desperate play to the fan base, I saw it as needed with all the injuries.

Feel like Enzo and Cass are the only ones that needed to be called up. Crews hasn't done anything that Ryback couldn't have done. Corbin and Ziggler is nothing so I really don't see the need.

All the injurys are in the upper mid card and there are few NXT guys that belong there. Most the people injured are close to returning now so that's,another reason I don't see it as a need. The time for that was around Rumble time if they needed talent because of injuries. I think they know that NXT has a hardcore fan base that are also network subscribers so they play to them more than their casual audience and it may be hurting them ratings wise.

Emperor Smeat
04-29-2016, 05:10 PM
I'd argue its a mix of them being way too stuck on a routine for RAW/Smackdown and them never being consistent in how they treat NXT for the main shows.

They rarely do different things when it comes to weekly RAW and Smackdown shows which is why vignettes and real backstage promos expanding things don't happen as much anymore. Combine that with them not being consistent when it comes to acknowledging NXT, you end up with most people debuting to less than ideal reactions.

Feels like they assume everyone watches NXT as an excuse to do less work when that is not the case.

evanbrown
04-29-2016, 05:26 PM
lol

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-29-2016, 05:47 PM
30% of an audience knowing a guy is honestly enough to get him over organicly. Guys next to you in the crowd get excited, you pay attention because of it. His work is worth your time so he gets over. The end.

You dont NEED video packages. Your mentality might even be dated. Isntead of looking at the thing think of the things purpose.

More over by using NXT this way its a great way to push the network.

Not so sure about that. Don't get me wrong I see where you're coming from, in that NXT is a nice platform, but vignettes are a tremendous way to introduce someone to the audience and make them feel like a big deal. Just basic attention to detail, which for the most part the company doesn't have anymore.

Destor
04-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Only for the small percentage who watch. For the majority--regular WWE fans--it is not even close.

By your own estimates its 1/3 to 1/2

Thats not a small portion

Destor
04-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Not so sure about that. Don't get me wrong I see where you're coming from, in that NXT is a nice platform, but vignettes are a tremendous way to introduce someone to the audience and make them feel like a big deal. Just basic attention to detail, which for the most part the company doesn't have anymore.

I cant argue that they arent throwing pasta at a wall and hoping it sticks. But wrestling has done that for over 60 years. The only change is now there arent territories for the fed to pick polished acts from and now they have to do it themselves.

Even the people who dont watch NXT. We'll split the diff of the OPs data and say 40% do watch it and 60% dont, of that 60% half of them follow the spoilers and hear the buzz. Theyre hardly coming in cold.

The Condor
04-29-2016, 06:55 PM
By your own estimates its 1/3 to 1/2

Thats not a small portion

No, 30-50% of Network subcribers. The Network is the only outlet to watch NXT, and that audience only equates to maybe 20% of the weekly WWE television audience. Casual fans who are not weekly viewers are even more in the dark than non-NXT viewers who watch RAW/Smackdown weekly.

DAMN iNATOR
04-30-2016, 12:01 AM
I don't know about the Network being the ONLY way to watch NXT. Pretty sure people could easily catch up watching clips from the latest episode(s) on YT.

Just sayin'.

SlickyTrickyDamon
04-30-2016, 12:24 AM
No, 30-50% of Network subcribers. The Network is the only outlet to watch NXT, and that audience only equates to maybe 20% of the weekly WWE television audience. Casual fans who are not weekly viewers are even more in the dark than non-NXT viewers who watch RAW/Smackdown weekly.

NXT is also on HuluPlus.

Hanso Amore
04-30-2016, 12:31 AM
You think the primo and epico vignettes are better to make a new star than Apollo crews showing up on the biggest raw of the year and dazzling in the ring?

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-30-2016, 01:31 AM
Maybe inset promos with Apollo would work too. Just little extra bits of effort to help the audience connect.

DAMN iNATOR
04-30-2016, 02:25 AM
You think the primo and epico vignettes are better to make a new star than Apollo crews showing up on the biggest raw of the year and dazzling in the ring?

Debut and return promos, when done properly, can be a much more effective way of getting someone over, rather than using the "surprise" debut or return method. I just think WWE need to assess who would benefit most from which method and act accordingly in order to get guys and gals over big with the fans.

If they ever solve that conundrum and can actually give everyone on the main roster decent character development that doesn't change or disappear at the drop of a hat and fix the problems with booking and storylines, there's no reason they couldn't eventually experience another golden age. Granted it would be quite difficult to do in today's environment, but nonetheless, I do think it's possible. They just need to make more of an all-around effort.

Sting Fan
04-30-2016, 05:09 AM
I have found the crowd reacting even in small ways to the NXT debutants very refreshing. Enzo and Cass are a key example for me, as soon as I saw the crowd playing along with there little spiel I was much more into it. Since then I have youtubed them and am quite interested in there push.

I am all for even a small number of the crowd knowing who these guys are. Also as far as the percentage of NXT watchers go I would argue the Raw and SD crowds probably run a higher percentage of network viewers than the average T.V. crowd. Hence higher percentage of people conversant with these debutants on live shows. As a viewer at home a crowd being hot or into and act is quite often the hook you need to sit up and take notice.

Hanso Amore
04-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Debut and return promos, when done properly, can be a much more effective way of getting someone over, rather than using the "surprise" debut or return method. I just think WWE need to assess who would benefit most from which method and act accordingly in order to get guys and gals over big with the fans.

If they ever solve that conundrum and can actually give everyone on the main roster decent character development that doesn't change or disappear at the drop of a hat and fix the problems with booking and storylines, there's no reason they couldn't eventually experience another golden age. Granted it would be quite difficult to do in today's environment, but nonetheless, I do think it's possible. They just need to make more of an all-around effort.

Based on what? What are some recent examples in the last 10 years? You have the watts and that's it.

I get where you are coming from, but I think that time has passed.

Look at fandango, Adam rose, the new day. All recent flops that it didn't help.

Meanwhile ryback just showed up and killed jobbers, zayn and Owens debuted against Cena, Neville Kalisto and crews showed up and put on great in ring matches and were instant hits. Enzo and cass walked out and spit hot fire in a hot crowd.

All were instantly over.

Your proposing a bygone eras tool. Welcome to the Internet age, you stupid idiot.

Stickman
04-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Vignettes should absolutely used more. Look at the Wyatt build, it made you care about a debut. I have the network and very seldomly watch nxt, I need a build for a new character

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-30-2016, 09:12 PM
They also need to debut guys in front of the right crowd. For the most part they know if they're in a place where the crowd is usually dead and they know the hot spots. If the swing towns see the crowds reacting in a big way, they will follow suit. It happened with AJ Styles, even though it may be a bit quieter for him in certain places, I still always hear his name. He had the big debut and the massive chants and it's given him quite a bit of equity to roll with.

Hanso Amore
05-01-2016, 02:23 AM
Vignettes should absolutely used more. Look at the Wyatt build, it made you care about a debut. I have the network and very seldomly watch nxt, I need a build for a new character

Ok cool
Idea
Hot vignettes

People pumped

Debut

Hot shit

Cent eat

Taker eat

Bad booking

Injury and fade

Yeah man the vignettes helped long term

My point is it's not about pre booking vignettes it's about guys connecting and having proper booking

Nicky Fives
05-01-2016, 02:50 AM
I've always been a fan of the quick 30-second inset promo during an entrance of newer talents or the bottom people on the card.... gives them that little extra time to connect with the fans and show they have a personality.... for some, it may be the only time we get to hear them speak....

And as far as the production side, they seem like they'd be very easy to film earlier in the day..... The writers give them the bullet points and have them run through a few takes, then maybe give them a chance to free-form it and do one of their own, then have Vince or whoever pick the best for the show...

Lock Jaw
05-01-2016, 03:15 AM
Primo & Epico are going to be so much more over than Enzo/Cass, The Vaudevillains, and Gallows/Anderson because they are the only ones getting all these vignettes.

They are gonna be the next big things of the tag team division! Wooo!

The Condor
05-01-2016, 03:46 PM
I think a lot of guys are missing the point of this. I'm not talking about making stars, I'm just talking about introducing new characters. Totally different issues.

Lock Jaw
05-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Nah, I get it. I'm just dickering about.

I kind of agree.... if not vignettes, guys at least need some sort of mic time/backstage segments, etc.... Enzo&Cass are fine because they actually get mic time.

A lot of guys, it is just like "who cares"....

I mean, I know they do a lot of stuff on youtube and exclusive WWE.com videos nowadays.... and it goes back to that one thread I made about how much that factors in to getting people over nowadays..... I know I barely watch any of that extra stuff, but maybe the youths of the day watch all those youtube/wwe.com videos and get into characters more in that way......

Mr. Nerfect
05-01-2016, 11:01 PM
I think vignettes, hype packages, pre-taped interviews and training videos should be used a lot more, but not just for debuting talent. The video they did for Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn on RAW did so much for their feud and will really help people invest -- people that may not have cared about the initial story.

Enzo & Cass have been fine. I don't really need to see them walking the streets of New York eating pizza to feel like I know what they bring. It may have helped The Vaudevillains more though. Primo y Epico's videos have been almost irrelevant. I think you can get the idea that they are heels and like Puerto Rico, but there's nothing there about their goals as a team. It's a quality thing.

I think their current mentality on vignettes might be to see if guys swim on their own, and then put the videos out as a boost in a few weeks. Look at the video they just did for Apollo Crews. It contained footage of his recent RAW stuff. The same goes for the Zayn/Owens one. They sort of build their catalog on the main roster before they put something out for them.

Vignettes may help Baron Corbin as the moment, because his personality is really undefined. Is he an egotistic super-athlete or is a post-apocalyptic biker? Right now he's just tall. But I'm sure they'll put eight angles of Corbin killing Ziggler with The End of Days together for a RAW package sometime soon.

Lock Jaw
05-02-2016, 12:13 AM
I think vignettes, hype packages, pre-taped interviews and training videos should be used a lot more, but not just for debuting talent. The video they did for Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn on RAW did so much for their feud and will really help people invest -- people that may not have cared about the initial story.

Yeah... co-worker friend who is a rassling fan, but doesn't watch NXT, got way into the feud after seeing the video package. He was all "I had no idea! This is great! I see what you were saying now about these two!"

Mr. Nerfect
05-02-2016, 05:16 AM
That is cool. Wish they would put stuff together on those people that are on the brink of really mattering. Something like that could be amazing for Cesaro, or even guys like The New Day to show how hard they've worked to get to where they are.

Lock Jaw
05-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Imagine if Cesaro had video like this promoting his return:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W4sxQ5N-lag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>