PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Ready To Rumble

hb2k
05-16-2016, 04:27 AM
So for this week's podcast we're going to review the cinematic classic that is Ready to Rumble, starring future WCW World Champion David Arquette, Scott Caan and Golden Globe nominee (not for this) Oliver Platt, and we'd like to get some thoughts from you on your personal perspective of the film.

What were your expectations going in?

What was your experience of watching and opinion of the film when you did see it?

What are your high/low points for the film?

As always the best responses will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So if you dare access the dark recesses of your brain and revisit your memories of this flick - what's your Ready to Rumble experience?

EDIT - I want to thank everybody for the contributions - the podcast discussing Ready To Rumble and taking your thoughts on the movie is now available at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/k85in9/SCG_Radio_84_-_At_The_Movies_-_Ready_To_Rumble.mp3

Wishbone
05-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Didn't actually watch the movie until I was in my teens. Saw it with a friend, and honestly I had heard about it before so going in I was essentially expecting a "so bad it's good" movie. In the end I think that's exactly what I got. It wasn't a great movie by any means, but I got a lot of laughs out of it (sometimes for the wrong reasons.) Me and said friend used the "I will rule you" line from Jimmy King on multiple occasions as a sort of inside joke whenever we were screwing around, and the "foreign objects" line also became a running gag for us. I guess the movie has a place in my heart despite how stupid it is since it gave me something me and my friend could share for years.

weather vane
05-16-2016, 05:41 AM
Excuse the mess, my aim's a little off. I've been using the JACKHAMMER!

Icame4Hookers
05-16-2016, 05:43 AM
DDP WITH TOILET PAPER STILL IN HIS ASS AS THE KING BEAT HIM UP

Asmo
05-16-2016, 05:47 AM
I watched it when i was a kid, and i loved it. I haven't watched it since then, and i doubt i'll ever watch it again, unless it's available on a flight or i randomly land on it somewhere.

Back then, WCW was the most easily accessible brand on TV in India (since WWE had severed ties with STAR, and WCW continued to air on TNT / Cartoon Network). And i was a WCW boy.

From what i remember, i thought Sting and Goldberg would play larger roles in the movie than what they did. I couldn't buy DDP as the villain. Watching the other wrestlers in their cameos was what kept me hooked on, and so did Rose McGowan and the Nitro Girls. And i marked for Michael Buffer's iconic call, and the triple cage was cool as hell.

So yeah, it's total entertainment for a WCW fan, especially if you can let 'wrestling be wrestling'.

What came out of it though (The Arquette angle) was pure tripe. That entire angle was badly handled and poorly thought out. Hell, if WCW could do Rodman / Malone with some semblance of logic, this should have been easy to script / promote.

Final point. If WWE ever does a roast of John Cena, I'm sure they'll include his minor appearance in this movie. It has to happen.

Icame4Hookers
05-16-2016, 06:18 AM
WCW DID BETTER MOVIE PRODUCTIONS THAN WWE

Nicky Fives
05-16-2016, 08:16 AM
I loved it then and still love it today....

Icame4Hookers
05-16-2016, 08:25 AM
I loved it then and still love it today....
The birth of Shirminator

Icame4Hookers
05-16-2016, 08:56 AM
According to an interview he did with YouShoot in 2013, Diamond Dallas Page said that he pitched an alternate ending for the film to Warner Bros. What would have happened was that after the triple cage match is over, and the end credits are just starting to roll, Jimmy King tells Gordie and Sean that he will see them at the bar, before heading back to his dressing room to get changed, only to see DDP waiting for him. Just as the two wrestlers look like they are going to fight again, they actually hug each other, with DDP forgiving King for throwing him through all three cages. Then, Sean and Gordie enter the dressing room and are shocked to discover that King and DDP are friends. DDP then walks up to the two and says "Boys, welcome to the business. Let's go have a drink!" which helps puts all their differences aside.

Simple Fan
05-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Was a WCW fan and thought it was great at the time. Still think it's a ok movie and would watch it now if it were on.

kareru
05-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Favourite line from the film ''WRESTLING''S NOT FAAAAAAKEE''

you know my brother an i still quote the film to this day, i still have it on vhs and watch it alot

best part about the film though is it had wrestling as it is (calling moves in the ring etc etc) then it changed and became real like wrestling is portrayed

other noteworthy moments

Disco inferno gets the first title shot after ddp wins it
That sweet sliding head scissors during the backstage assault

john cena cameo

http://40.media.tumblr.com/d1a18d7fb4195484806cd7b7737309d3/tumblr_mt1oz0DPXX1qhjbxeo1_500.jpg

and of course everything sal bandini says

Evil Vito
05-16-2016, 02:08 PM
According to an interview he did with YouShoot in 2013, Diamond Dallas Page said that he pitched an alternate ending for the film to Warner Bros. What would have happened was that after the triple cage match is over, and the end credits are just starting to roll, Jimmy King tells Gordie and Sean that he will see them at the bar, before heading back to his dressing room to get changed, only to see DDP waiting for him. Just as the two wrestlers look like they are going to fight again, they actually hug each other, with DDP forgiving King for throwing him through all three cages. Then, Sean and Gordie enter the dressing room and are shocked to discover that King and DDP are friends. DDP then walks up to the two and says "Boys, welcome to the business. Let's go have a drink!" which helps puts all their differences aside.

Actually kinda glad they didn't do that considering a big part of the "plot" was that DDP, Titus Sinclair (amazing name), and loads of other dudes basically broke character to screw King out of the title.

Like the entire cage match was meant to be a "shoot"

Evil Vito
05-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Anyway the was the first movie I ever got on DVD, and having never had a DVD before this the very idea of being able to effortlessly skip between scenes in movies totally blew my nips off.

I loved it though. WCW could do no wrong for me as a young fan even if much of what they were doing around this time period is horrible in retrospect.

Mercenary
05-16-2016, 03:12 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3LQezpeHslc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nuff said

Mercenary
05-16-2016, 03:44 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uzbeIaothQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evil Vito
05-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Man re-watching these clips brought me back. Haven't seen this movie in years.

DAMN iNATOR
05-16-2016, 11:20 PM
I really enjoyed it. Didn't see it originally in theater but my friend had it on DVD.., I thought it was awesome, but Brian Zane, a.k.a. Wrestling With Wregret, has actually done a review of it and he is not NEARLY as forgiving:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CCZ1_ydwAIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DAMN iNATOR
05-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Also, maybe for future ideas, your panel could read listeners' thoughts on other wrestling based movie cinema such as Jack Black in "Nacho Libre" and of course the classic Mickey Rourke film "The Wrestler".

Sixx
05-17-2016, 12:21 PM
I liked it back then, I watched a lot of WCW those days. The highlight of the movie was probably hearing Motley Crue.

Then I rewatched it a few years later and thought it sucked ass.

JimmyMess
05-17-2016, 12:37 PM
"it's not that I have trouble, it's just sometimes I don't see the point"

lol wee wee. I loved this movie when I was a younger lad!

Evil Vito
05-17-2016, 01:10 PM
I remember when the "faces" are supposed to run out to help Jimmy King in the cage match. Goldberg, Booker T, Kidman, and Disco Inferno come out.

Because nothing says trimphant faces saving the day like Disco Inferno.

Sixx
05-17-2016, 01:22 PM
I remember when the "faces" are supposed to run out to help Jimmy King in the cage match. Goldberg, Booker T, Kidman, and Disco Inferno come out.

Because nothing says trimphant faces saving the day like Disco Inferno.

Not that Kidman is much better.

Evil Vito
05-17-2016, 01:25 PM
At least Kidman can't be powerbombed.

Big Vic
05-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Don't like wrestling with wregret, the guy reminds me of Jim Cornette.

I like Adam from What Culture.

Sixx
05-17-2016, 01:31 PM
At least Kidman can't be powerbombed.

Wasn't this around that time Kidman was feuding with Hogan over the WCW Championship?

My god, that was so fucking stupid.

JimmyMess
05-17-2016, 02:16 PM
why is it that none of the top guys, minus goldberg, ddp, and booker were in this?

Big Vic
05-17-2016, 02:22 PM
They probably asked for too much.

Sixx
05-17-2016, 02:25 PM
I remember reading something about Hogan declining, because he thought the movie was below his standards.

And he was in Secret Agent Club.

Sixx
05-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Also, Sting and Savage were also in this.

Icame4Hookers
05-17-2016, 02:32 PM
John Cen's debut

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Oddly enough I did enjoy the movie when I was 11, and I feel like 11-year-old wrestling fans was probably who the movie was aimed at. I think it was the novelty of having all of these wrestlers in one movie.

I refuse to watch it again, because it is a terrible movie. It's kind of like how I won't watch power rangers again even though I loved them when I was a kid. You just remember liking somethings that were just fucking atrocious, and not even nostalgia blinders can save them from their own shitty reality.

If I can remember any high points, it has to be when all of the babyfaces came out to save Oliver Platt at the end of the movie and Bawitaba played them out. When you're 11 years old, and big into wrestling, something about Kid Rock really speaks to you.

Low point? I remember Caroline Rhea being really gross at some point and there just really weird trailer trash scenes that turned me off. It's also kind of depressing to think that someone as talented as Oliver Platt was in this movie.

Sixx
05-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Oddly enough I did enjoy the movie when I was 11, and I feel like 11-year-old wrestling fans was probably who the movie was aimed at. I think it was the novelty of having all of these wrestlers in one movie.

I refuse to watch it again, because it is a terrible movie. It's kind of like how I won't watch power rangers again even though I loved them when I was a kid. You just remember liking somethings that were just fucking atrocious, and not even nostalgia blinders can save them from their own shitty reality.

If I can remember any high points, it has to be when all of the babyfaces came out to save Oliver Platt at the end of the movie and Bawitaba played them out. When you're 11 years old, and big into wrestling, something about Kid Rock really speaks to you.

Low point? I remember Caroline Rhea being really gross at some point and there just really weird trailer trash scenes that turned me off. It's also kind of depressing to think that someone as talented as Oliver Platt was in this movie.

Also, that role was totally miscast. He doesn't have the looks to play a wrestler, past his prime or not.

Rollermacka
05-17-2016, 06:44 PM
I can't remember if I ever posed this question but I might as well do it here.

So Ready to Rumble was more or less a flop and overall hurt WCW more than it helped..... what if Ready to Rumble made a profit? Let's say for some reason, this movie was a moderate success at the box office, no Titanic/ Avatar, but let's say it made twice as much as it cost at the box office. How do you think that would of changed WCW's future or would it of just been "delaying the inevitable"?

Sixx
05-17-2016, 06:45 PM
By the way, they could've made Oliver Platt the WCW champ.

That would be even more hilarious.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-17-2016, 06:49 PM

Which Adam? I definitely like whatculture better than Bryan Zayn. Zayn seems like a nice guy but he's too BLAM in your face not enough wit.

Attitude Era Podcast, New Gen Podcast and OSW pretty much are better than any actual wrestling show to me anymore, I think because I'm prematurely an old man.

Oh and let's not forget Squared circle gazzette radio ;)

drave
05-17-2016, 06:55 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q6unOZY9h_E/VDlZcB1UXEI/AAAAAAAADcY/sE6vuge2DYE/s1600/40%2Bdiamond%2Bupside%2Bdown.gif

I was young when I watched this. Went with a friend to the theatre to watch it and loved it. This above gif is my favorite part, just cracked me up from start to end.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-17-2016, 06:59 PM
I feel like James Caan probably wanted to disown his son after this movie.

Sixx
05-17-2016, 07:03 PM
I feel like James Caan probably wanted to disown his son after this movie.

That's still not as bad as his role in Ocean's Eleven, a movie that wanted us to believe Scott Caan is actually very clever and even speaks Mandarin.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-17-2016, 07:06 PM
And is cool enough to have witty banter with Casey Affleck.

Icame4Hookers
05-18-2016, 02:46 AM
By the way, they could've made Oliver Platt the WCW champ.

That would be even more hilarious.

Did you know watch the movie, idiot?

Sixx
05-18-2016, 05:22 AM
Did you know watch the movie, idiot?

You retarded dipshit, I ain't talking bout the movie itself, but the David Arquette WCW Champ fiasco.

DAMN iNATOR
05-18-2016, 05:25 AM

Even so, you have to at least respect the fact that he gives his true, unfiltered opinions on wrestling films, albums and PPV results.

It might interest you to know, however, that he once allowed himself to get KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT by Corny in his video where he mocks Russo in a fake ad for a supposedly Russo created inspirational video DVD.

DAMN iNATOR
05-18-2016, 05:28 AM
Which Adam? I definitely like whatculture better than Bryan Zayn. Zayn seems like a nice guy but he's too BLAM in your face not enough wit.

Attitude Era Podcast, New Gen Podcast and OSW pretty much are better than any actual wrestling show to me anymore, I think because I'm prematurely an old man.

Oh and let's not forget Squared circle gazzette radio ;)

You may not care, but his first name is Brian with an 'i' and his last name is "Zane", not spelled like the wrestler. Just sayin'.

Also, I get it. I do. Most people these days prefer personalities that go for "the funny", and while I enjoy Adam from WhatCulture's 'How ______ Should Be/Should've Been Booked" videos, I dunno, he's just too wacky for me. Seems nice enough, though. I just like Zane's more serious approach.

Also, Zane DOES occasionally post short videos where he makes recipes from the WWE cookbook which are mildly entertaining and informative too.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-18-2016, 09:07 AM
You may not care, but his first name is Brian with an 'i' and his last name is "Zane", not spelled like the wrestler. Just sayin'.

Also, I get it. I do. Most people these days prefer personalities that go for "the funny", and while I enjoy Adam from WhatCulture's 'How ______ Should Be/Should've Been Booked" videos, I dunno, he's just too wacky for me. Seems nice enough, though. I just like Zane's more serious approach.

Also, Zane DOES occasionally post short videos where he makes recipes from the WWE cookbook which are mildly entertaining and informative too.

Dude you are allowed to like whoever the hell you want, just don't be a fucking irritating little twat about it and expect people to know how to spell some jobber's name.

Big Vic
05-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Also the Wregret guy is more wacky than Adam. I don't know why you think otherwise DAMN inator.

DAMN iNATOR
05-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Also the Wregret guy is more wacky than Adam. I don't know why you think otherwise DAMN inator.

Adam from WC is hamming it up in just about every single video I've ever seen him in, whereas more often than not W<SUP>3</SUP> seems to be shooting straiggt from the hip if you ask me.

Also, if we're going to use names of internet personalities, what exactly is wrong with knowing how to spell their names?! FFS, 9 times out of 10 the guy wears an athletic-style jumpsuit with his full name on it. Is it really my fault I actually bother to pay attention to that kind of detail, minute as it might be? I think not.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-19-2016, 08:36 AM
It's your fault that you're being an irritating fucking jackass.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-19-2016, 01:27 PM
http://distractify.com/geek/2016/03/30/people-who-point-out-grammar-mistakes-jerks

Here you go damn you giant dink hole. Read that. It doesn't discuss names but I'm sure you get the idea. Well then again, you probably won't.

DAMN iNATOR
05-19-2016, 04:42 PM
http://distractify.com/geek/2016/03/30/people-who-point-out-grammar-mistakes-jerks

Here you go damn you giant dink hole. Read that. It doesn't discuss names but I'm sure you get the idea. Well then again, you probably won't.

Yeah, sorry. I was done after the blatantly falae headline.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Yeah, sorry. I was done after the blatantly falae headline.

You are a massive dickhead

DAMN iNATOR
05-19-2016, 04:56 PM
You are a massive dickhead

IKR? How DARE I not believe everything I read on the Internet?!

hb2k
05-22-2016, 06:32 AM
I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/k85in9/SCG_Radio_84_-_At_The_Movies_-_Ready_To_Rumble.mp3

Join us for SCG's first trip to the movies! We're talking Ready To Rumble this week, WCW's ill-advised contribution to the silver screen starring David Arquette, Scott Caan and Oliver Platt. We give the film a full walkthrough and review, discussing the fine details of the movie (ahem), and take your feedback as well, discussing your experiences watching, expectations going in, high and low points and much more. An extremely fun show to do this week, we hope you enjoy - check it out and let us know what you think!

Evil Vito
05-22-2016, 11:46 PM
Great work as per usual. :y: