PDA

View Full Version : The Most Useless Tag Team or Stable Ever?

hb2k
07-25-2016, 02:52 PM
So for this week's podcast we're looking for your nominations on the Most Useless Tag Team or Stable you believe you've ever seen in wrestling - from any company at any period of time.

You can pick either a full-time tag team or stable to focus on here, so nice and broad, but we're looking for the general uselessness of the unit, and WHY they get your nod for the most useless there's ever been.

As always the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So who gets your vote for this lofty title?

EDIT - Our show debating the Most Useless Tag Team or Stable Ever, featuring many of your contributions, is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/rck6cq/SCG_Radio_92_-_The_Most_Useless_Tag_Team_or_Stable_Ever.mp3

SlickyTrickyDamon
07-25-2016, 03:00 PM
The Old Age Outlaws. WCW circa 2000.

Just one of the things that happened in WCW in the Russo Era. Arn Anderson, Terry Funk, Paul Orndorf and Larry Zybysco teaming up for no apparent reason. Just an off-shoot of the New Blood and the Millionaires Club feud (also two stables that should be on people's lists.) WCW was always about milking whatever was left out of people's careers. This might have been just them playing a joke on themselves with how they know how they were perceived as the place where the old boys play. Steering into the skid is what this is sometimes called. It didn't work and the group was disbanded so quickly I can't even recall if they ever competed as a group.

The worst part of it is that 10 years before then this could have been one of the most dominant groups of all time. Arn Anderson and Larry had experience as a team as the Enforcers. They could have filled an enforcer role in any group. A group of all enforcers could have run roughshot over any roster.

Big Vic
07-25-2016, 03:23 PM
The Tag Team of Viscera and Charlie Haas was extremely useless. They bonded over their love of beating women. This was around the time Visera attacked Trish for not having sex with him and Charlie Haas broke Lilian Garcia's arm.

Team RECK, (Rhyno, Edge, Christian, and Kurt) Is this really even a stable? It has it's own wikipedia page and everyone seems to remember it but I can't remember the announcers ever mentioning them as a group. When you search Youtube for any videos of them you get nothing. Maybe this shouldn't be on the list because it actually wasn't a stable and fans are just "retconning" them as one.

I think the ECW originals stable could have been much better if Tommy Dreamer was the leader of the stable and opened each show with a 15 minute promo. You could also have Tommy Dreamer win the ECW title at December to Dismember and have the battle of the billionaires match up be "Bobby Lashley vs Tommy Dreamer" playing into the whole "New Breed vs Originals" feud.

KIRA
07-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Stable:The League of Nations they made The Union look like the Shield. 5 big dudes who's only real purpose it seems was to get massacred bY Roman Reigns every week. At least Nexus could say they terrorized the roster and manged to get a really good #beatupJohnCena segment before he destroyed them,League of Nations couldn't even touch Reigns.

Tag Team: Lo Down Its sad because when they were put together they had a cool look and awesome theme music then they got repackaged into ...rich middle eastern wannabes and went on to be and do absolutely nothing

Rammsteinmad
07-25-2016, 05:24 PM
The Old Age Outlaws. WCW circa 2000.

Just one of the things that happened in WCW in the Russo Era. Arn Anderson, Terry Funk, Paul Orndorf and Larry Zybysco teaming up for no apparent reason. Just an off-shoot of the New Blood and the Millionaires Club feud (also two stables that should be on people's lists.) WCW was always about milking whatever was left out of people's careers. This might have been just them playing a joke on themselves with how they know how they were perceived as the place where the old boys play. Steering into the skid is what this is sometimes called. It didn't work and the group was disbanded so quickly I can't even recall if they ever competed as a group.

I was such a mark back then but I remember I loved that group, simply coz they were "the good guys". They were feuding with the dreaded "nWo 2000". Good times.

Simple Fan
07-25-2016, 06:39 PM
RybAxle was useless, neither guy benefited from the team. I loved Curtis Axles debut and pairing with Heyman but once Ryback was added it just stunk and both guys eventually got dropped by Paul. Both have never gotten back to were they were before they teamed.

Droford
07-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Master Ps No Limit Soldiers in WCW for most useless stable..bunch of nobodies teaming with Brad Armstrong Rey and Konan the only thing they actually did was the shirt lived feud with the West Texas Rednecks

Cool King
07-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore
Jimmy Wang Yang & Slam Master J

Ruien
07-25-2016, 09:41 PM
X Factor.

Savio
07-26-2016, 12:08 AM
What was the point of the JOB Squad? Does anyone know? Literally did the writers or wrestlers at that time know what the point of that stable was?

Vastardikai
07-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Dynamic Dudes.

Two "radical" guys that made people not give a single solitary good god damn about them. Jim Cornette couldn't help them as their manager, and the Midnights turning on them gave them bad reactions.

It didn't help that Shane Douglas already had issues with being up his own ass. Not wanting to do "Memphis Shit" with Cornette, that would have gotten them over more as faces.

Volare
07-26-2016, 01:27 AM
The Corre.

Arrogance
07-26-2016, 10:01 AM
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/truthcommission_display_imagee.jpg

You forgot these men were real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_Commission for the lazy.

Big Vic
07-26-2016, 10:19 AM
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/truthcommission_display_imagee.jpg

You forgot these men were real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_Commission for the lazy.Didn't that stable eventually morph into the Oddities?.... Another useless stable.

Ultra Mantis
07-26-2016, 10:47 AM
League of Nations was garbage and managed to cool off everyone involved, even Sheamus who was already getting poor reactions #RIPWadeBarrett

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-26-2016, 11:01 AM
The Brothers of Destruction. You had mid life crisis biker taker, and Kane, who in 2001 was already stale. I know Old Man Jones will be the first to discredit Kane, but in 2001 Kane could work a very quick style, and was totally wasted with Taker, who was fat and out of shape, probably doing some of the worst work of his career. All that the team was good for, was seemingly ensuring everyone kept in line with the pecking order, as they never actually put over any of the younger teams, nor did they really put over any top guy. It was your classic bullshit old school carny garbage that you'd see with the likes of bad news brown. They never jobbed but they also never really won against anyone of note... so nothing was accomplished by them being together. I get the novelty of two strong badass characters being paired together, but think about all the times they made the much more over, more fresh, TLC tag teams (E and C, Dudleyz and Hardyz) look weak. Think about what they did to DDP and Kanyon.

Plus their match with Kronik... who are a whole different useless tag team all together.

I think it had a lot to do with Undertaker, as I do see Kane as a fairly selfless performer... but their performances as the brothers of destruction were useless, self serving and most importantly, lame as fuck.

Mr. JL
07-26-2016, 12:44 PM
It has to be X-Factor

At least some of the other stables had some sort of potential or initial buzz. X-Factor sucked right out of the gate and just kept on trucking. Never did nothing of note, nobody got over and really uninspired.

And I really dig a lot of Sean Waltman's work, I enjoyed Original ECW Justin Credible and Albert/A-Train/Tensai had his moments but the pairing was abysmal.

Vastardikai
07-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Didn't that stable eventually morph into the Oddities?.... Another useless stable.

The only members that went to the Oddities was Kurrgan and (briefly) Jackyl. One of them became Bull Buchanan and the other one fell off the face of the earth.

As for the Oddities, they introduced an audience to ICP, which is much worse than being useless.

Innovator
07-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Timothy Well and Steven Dunn, better known as Well Dunn.

Emperor Smeat
07-26-2016, 02:06 PM
For recent stuff, League of Nations. WWE somehow took a stable of mid to upper card heel stars and treat them worse than the Social Outcasts. Even the way they just suddenly disbanded was weak considering a couple of weks later they suddenly are teaming up in matches.

For past stuff, X-Factor. Aparently the story with that stable was the WWE trying to prove to X-Pac he wasn't as a big of a star as he thought and ended up being right in the end. Probably the most meorable thing about the group was it being the origin of the term "X-Pac heat" I think.

KIRA
07-26-2016, 03:49 PM
The only members that went to the Oddities was Kurrgan and (briefly) Jackyl. One of them became Bull Buchanan and the other one fell off the face of the earth.

As for the Oddities, they introduced an audience to ICP, which is much worse than being useless.

Don't tell ABT he actually likes their......"music"

Anybody Thrilla
07-26-2016, 04:17 PM
That song is good.

Anybody Thrilla
07-26-2016, 04:18 PM
"The Greatest Show"

The Condor
07-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Los Boricuas were fucking terrible no matter what. Savior Vega as a heel = death

The Condor
07-26-2016, 06:55 PM
As for tag teams, the Faux Diesel/Razor Ramon 1996 team was beyond useless.

Mercenary
07-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Shining Stars followed by the Dicks, and Heart Throbs just so much garbage

Mr. Nerfect
07-26-2016, 07:34 PM
The League of Nations should get a mention just because of how high profile it was supposed to be. Two of the four members were former World Champions (who had feud history by the way) and the other two had potential. I thought this was going to at least lead to a face turn for...let's say Rusev, but they didn't even really blow it off. Given the status of the performers in this stable, it might be the most expensive irrelevant faction of all-time since they never put Glacier with anybody.

The Heart Throbs and The Dicks are good mentions since I don't know for sure if they ever worked off Heat and Velocity.

3MB was the group that immediately came to mind. I actually like all three guys. Drew McIntyre is a good worker, Heath Slater can do a lot more than he lets on and Jinder Mahal had a scowl and could do a pretty good knee lift. It immediately turned McIntyre and Mahal into jokes, but there were moments when they hit their mark with that sort of stuff. They just never...did anything. It's a shame they couldn't hang onto until The New Day's formation, because I think they could have been elevated by working against babyfaces with that three-man dynamic.

Mr. Nerfect
07-26-2016, 07:36 PM
Remember The Ladies in Pink? I may have jerked off to them, but I don't remember them.

Mr. Nerfect
07-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Lo Down could take this if people remember them enough to nominate them.

Emperor Smeat
07-26-2016, 09:09 PM
:( I liked Lo Down as a team.

Savio
07-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Los Boricuas were fucking terrible no matter what. Savior Vega as a heel = death

:fu:

XL
07-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Not necessarily worst/most useless ever, but definitely of 2016...The Ascension.

From record setting Tag Team Champions in NXT to, well, I guess they're still setting records only these ones are worst Win/Loss records this year. Konnor has a 1/1/34 record in 2016, which some how isn't as bad as his partner's disastrous 1/1/38 record. That means Viktor has a thoroughly unimpressive 2.5% win record in the last 7 months.

SlickyTrickyDamon
07-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Remember The Ladies in Pink? I may have jerked off to them, but I don't remember them.

Do you mean Vince's Devils? Torrie, Candace and Victoria?

Mr. Nerfect
07-29-2016, 03:27 AM
Not necessarily worst/most useless ever, but definitely of 2016...The Ascension.

From record setting Tag Team Champions in NXT to, well, I guess they're still setting records only these ones are worst Win/Loss records this year. Konnor has a 1/1/34 record in 2016, which some how isn't as bad as his partner's disastrous 1/1/38 record. That means Viktor has a thoroughly unimpressive 2.5% win record in the last 7 months.

I was going to say them, but they did have a very craftily presented NXT Tag Title run that made people think they were a big deal for a while. I think Too Cool were the only actual team they beat after they won the belts, but they kind of did a decent job filling time and incubating them.

DAMN iNATOR
07-29-2016, 07:22 AM
Shining Stars followed by the Dicks, and Heart Throbs just so much garbage

Yes, yes and yes (apologies to Daniel Bryan).

Also, I think a really obscure team from the mid-2000s that was utterly useless and IIRC was out the door as quickly as they got in were The Gymini, who were brought on by Simon Dean, perhaps in some attempt to push an average at best guy. How they ever got hired in the first place is a mystery for the ages.

Juan
07-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Tekno Team 2000

Ruien
07-29-2016, 08:09 AM
What about that one stable of women who had a man to fight their battles? I think his name was MEAT or something like that. That shit was stupid.

Big Vic
07-29-2016, 08:13 AM
PMS

Pretty Mean Sisters

Evil Vito
07-29-2016, 09:04 AM
The Corre.

This is a great nomination. The Corre were fucking terrible.

First off, the name was stupid. It was meant to be short for "Correlation" which is a synonym of Nexus. Well then use the full name, because the shortened name just made everybody think they were retarded and misspelled Core.

But for being SmackDown's version of Nexus, they managed to accomplish even less than the New Nexus were on Raw. The Corre jobbed pretty much constantly including being squashed in 2 minutes at WrestleMania. Wade Barrett got an Intercontinental Title run but it was largely just a vehicle to transition the belt to Ezekiel Jackson. And when the group disintegrated, nobody cared because they fucking sucked.

Oh and as an aside, all 4 guys arbitrarily jumped from Raw to SmackDown to form the group and then months later they did the Draft. No wonder they killed the brand split for a while soon after that.

hb2k
07-31-2016, 06:44 AM
I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/rck6cq/SCG_Radio_92_-_The_Most_Useless_Tag_Team_or_Stable_Ever.mp3

Join us as we debate the Most Useless Tag Team or Stable Ever! Taking your nominations, we look at the utter dross that has stunk up rings, such as stables like The Cabinet, The League of Nations, The Million Dollar Corporation, S.E.X, The Truth Commission, D.O.A, The First Family, The Union, The Mean Street Posse, X-Factor and The No Limit Soldiers, and tag teams such as the Harris Boys, The Bolsheviks, The Bushwhackers, The New Blackjacks, The Young Stallions, Lo Down, The Brothers of Destruction and yes, Viscera and Charlie Haas. Listen in as we engage in a race to the bottom, and decide who deserves this thorny crown!

Savio
07-31-2016, 11:59 AM
What was the point of the JOB Squad? Does anyone know? Literally did the writers or wrestlers at that time know what the point of that stable was?

Really surprised no one else nominated this one. Guessing everyone else just forgot about them.

Simple Fan
07-31-2016, 12:40 PM
They were jobbers so they definitely were useful for something. Pretty sure that was the point of the stable as well. JOB stood for Just Over Broke.

thekrow
07-31-2016, 02:06 PM
I would like to nominate SKORPION and DAVID STORM.

http://www.chwbackyard.com/uploads/2/5/4/6/25465882/9595127.jpghttp://www.chwbackyard.com/uploads/2/5/4/6/25465882/1542925.jpg

Take two incredible singles wrestler who were both really over with the crowd. One a huge big man with a penchant for violence and the other a high flying daredevil and put them together in a tag team?

Sounds perfect right?

Wrong!

David Storm and Skorpion ended up being a really subpar team! They just didn't seem to have any chemistry together and seemed to never be on the same page.

Its no wonder after a subpar title match against tag team legends Swede Savard & Miniak that CHW decided to disband the floundering pairining of David Storm and Skorpion.

David Storm would later find career success in a tag team with fellow French speaker JD Bolduc proving that he wasn't the weak link in the team. Although Skorpion is a talented singles wrestler he is just the kind of man that works best alone!!!

Simple Fan
07-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Could have just listed the whole CHW roster.

Heyman
08-04-2016, 01:18 AM
So for this week's podcast we're looking for your nominations on the Most Useless Tag Team or Stable you believe you've ever seen in wrestling - from any company at any period of time.

You can pick either a full-time tag team or stable to focus on here, so nice and broad, but we're looking for the general uselessness of the unit, and WHY they get your nod for the most useless there's ever been.

As always the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So who gets your vote for this lofty title?

EDIT - Our show debating the Most Useless Tag Team or Stable Ever, featuring many of your contributions, is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/rck6cq/SCG_Radio_92_-_The_Most_Useless_Tag_Team_or_Stable_Ever.mp3

I'm wondering if The Union should get a (dis)honorable mention? Test, Mankind, Ken Shamrock, and Big Show. They were together for a few months and did almost nothing memorable, other than playing 2nd and 3rd fiddle to Stone Cold and The Rock in terms of rebelling against The Machine.

In the modern era, I'd say League of Nations ranked up there as well.

Mr. USA #1
08-04-2016, 10:57 PM
The Bolsheveiks. Booooooo.