PDA

View Full Version : Is there still a place for Hideo Itami?

Rammsteinmad
08-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Doesn't feel like he really picked up too much steam before his injury derailed him, and now that Nakamura is the token super-over Japanese guy, and with some young prospects in the CWC, does KENTA still have a place in NXT any more? Was never a major fan myself, but was interested to see if he'd live up to the hype.

Theo Dious
08-20-2016, 07:40 AM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/895/128/b15.jpg

SlickyTrickyDamon
08-20-2016, 08:18 AM
No, not on NXT. He is probably only there to get ring-rust out. He'll be Smackdown soon.

hb2k
08-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Heel in the Cruiser division is the place for him

The Condor
08-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Who?

SlickyTrickyDamon
08-20-2016, 08:59 AM
KENTA. Orginator of The GTS and Knee Plus.

Mercenary
08-20-2016, 09:32 AM
KENTA. Orginator of The GTS and Knee Plus.

So Japanese Punk..... I'll pass he was bland when he came in, and still bland on his return.

Simple Fan
08-20-2016, 12:09 PM
There is still a spot for him in NXT I think. Not the spot that they envisioned but he is still valuable down there especially if more call ups happen later this year. With the WWE Cruiserweight do is on returning g there is also a spot for him on the main roster.

Lock Jaw
08-20-2016, 12:16 PM
I think he is doomed

He doesn't have the charisma/style of Nakamura, and he doesn't have the "looks super Asian" of Ibushi.......... just kind of "in the middle" with everything, and nothing makes him stick out......

drave
08-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Cruiserweight would be a great place for him. With his lengthy absence, though, they will need to give him a ton of exposure so he can "connect" with the crowd, be it face or heel.

He is good, he strikes hard and performs well. He just needs that "character".

Nicky Fives
08-20-2016, 12:22 PM
I think he is doomed

He doesn't have the charisma/style of Nakamura, and he doesn't have the "looks super Asian" of Ibushi.......... just kind of "in the middle" with everything, and nothing makes him stick out......

This.

drave
08-20-2016, 12:26 PM
The Orient Express v2.0

Nakamura, Ibushi, Itami

Fignuts
08-20-2016, 01:30 PM
I remember watching him alot in NOAH, and he in fact did have quite a bit of charisma. He had this badass, bruce lee swagger, which for whatever reason, he hasn't tapped into during his nxt run.

I think he'll be fine, if he shows that side of himself again, but the way he is now, isn't going to get over on the main roster.

Fignuts
08-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Great angle would be if they movved him to raw, and it comes out that it was balor, not owens that attacked him. The story writes itself. Itami wad the hottest new signee at the time, moreso than balor, so he gets him out of the way and ascends to the top of nxt.

Simple Fan
08-20-2016, 01:50 PM
I remember watching him alot in NOAH, and he in fact did have quite a bit of charisma. He had this badass, bruce lee swagger, which for whatever reason, he hasn't tapped into during his nxt run.

I think he'll be fine, if he shows that side of himself again, but the way he is now, isn't going to get over on the main roster.

I agree feel like the name change threw him off and he hasn't really grasped the Itami character yet. Injuries have a lot to with it as well as he hasn't had the opportunity to get into the flow of things.

Fignuts
08-20-2016, 02:02 PM
To fair, he wasn't even around very long before he got injured. I think this thread should be put on hold and revisited in couple months, when he's really had a chance to settle in and do stuff.

Rammsteinmad
08-20-2016, 02:29 PM
That's a valid point, I just find anything I read/see of him now, I keep thinking of he's "lost his spot" to Nakamura. Even listening to his theme song on YouTube I feel like the token Japanese theme is so much better done with Nakamura.

Fignuts
08-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Boy I hope cedric alexander doesn't get hurt. He'll lose the black guy spot to rich swann.

Rammsteinmad
08-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Now now. :roll:

Mr. Nerfect
08-20-2016, 06:21 PM
I understand the complaints, but you also have to remember that KENTA was one of the coolest wrestlers on the planet for a while. His charisma takes a completely different form to Nakamura's.

There's a part of me that wants to see him return as a he is -- just an ass kicking wrestling machine -- but there's another part of me that wants to see him given a gimmick. Something to make it appear like he's got some sort of movement. Something embodying revenge. I'm sure there are enough minds that are connected enough to Itami, to Japanese culture and to the product to really bring that out of him.

I've always liked the idea that it was Finn Balor that was behind the attack. In my perfect world, he's leading The Balor Club coming out of SummerSlam, so Seth Rollins is going to need allies...

Another option is that Daniel Bryan signs him, talks about how inspiring KENTA was to Bryan's own personal career, and Itami just kicks the shit out of Tyler Breeze and Fandango before winning the IC Title or something.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-20-2016, 08:23 PM
I think Takeover just answered that...

Fignuts
08-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Part of me thinks they should have saved his return fof that. Not like he's done anything signifigant until tonight.

VSG
08-20-2016, 10:44 PM
All you haters can go to sleep now.

Destor
08-20-2016, 11:29 PM
This thread is super racist

But sadly valid.

KENTA however is world class best in the world level guy. Get him healthy, give him time between the bells and he'll rise to the top of any card you place him in.

Fignuts
08-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Yeah, that's the other thing. He hasn't even to my knowledge had a match over 5 minutes. That's why I said it's a little early for this thread. Give the guy a chance to do something of substance, then ask this question if it doesn't click.

But I can tell you right now, he'll be fine as far as in-ring goes.

Lock Jaw
08-21-2016, 01:22 AM
He's had some lengthy matches against Tyler Breeze and probably some other people.....

I change my mind and say he does have a place..... because even though I still think he is kind of generic, I would still rather see him than No Way Jose or Cien Almas.

Mr. Nerfect
08-21-2016, 06:34 AM
The crowd liked the GTS.

Mr. Nerfect
08-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Kind of tempted to say they should just call him up to SmackDown and have him kick The Miz in the head.

Emperor Smeat
08-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Yes to him on NXT since he will get his own time to shine there before getting called up. His long injury setback hurts him way more for main roster stuff since before his best case scenario was the IC/US tier status for star power but now probably is as another Neville or Cesaro type star.

Tom Guycott
08-22-2016, 05:20 AM
To be honest, I think that one of the reasons WWE even hired KENTA was so that nobody else could. There is precedent in them signing people with some sort of name behind them and some buzz just because that name and buzz isn't associated with WWE, and really not having any plans for them upon hire.

Then, there's the penchant for WWE thinking simply being x nationality IS a gimmick in and of itself... doubly true for anyone Asian, from TAKA to Kenzo Suzuki and so on. Only person who even remotely 180'd from that was Jimmy Wang Yang until Shinsuke showed up. Refreshingly, he got to remain pretty much who and what he is in and of itself instead of trying to repackage the guy into yet another "stereotype karate guy". Hideo Itami, unfortunately, didn't escape that fate.

Add into that the fact that CM Punk admitted ages ago that he wholesale lifted the GTS from him, and then fast forward to a time when they want nothing that any fans would remotely associate with Punk to get any sort of chance for chants on TV, and the guy couldn't even use his own finisher for ages.

Stripped of himself, his signature, and then a long injury hiatus... he seriously needs an overhaul to be able to gain any sort of traction again. Maybe- hopefully- this thing with Aries will be that spark. But this is WWE, so I've learned not to expect the best possible outcome automatically.

Rammsteinmad
03-27-2017, 11:13 AM
I think Takeover just answered that...

... I'm still waiting... :p

#BROKEN Hasney
03-27-2017, 11:14 AM
HEY, he got re-injured dammit...

Destor
03-27-2017, 11:38 AM
There is no place Hideo Itami. There is a place for KENTA

The CyNick
03-27-2017, 01:20 PM
Needs to prove he can stay heathy before more is invested in him.

Vastardikai
03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in that angle that gets kicked around for Shibata: Miz's bodyguard. Have Miz verbally berate him from the get-go for months, with Itami acting like that is just him getting orders. And he pummel people for Miz.

Then, near the end of the run, having Miz berate him for losing a match, calling him worthless. Tami suddenly grabs the Mic and says "You know I understand English, right?"

Huge pop and instant drawing feud.

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Japanese wrestlers can't get over in North America other than being comedy guys.

He should stay in Japania

Destor
03-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Non english speaking wrestlers tbf

XL
03-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Maybe he's the answer to the question "How do you get Roode and Nakamura to the main roster without completely ransacking the NXT main event?"

Cool King
03-27-2017, 03:25 PM
I thought this was a recent thread until I saw a Noid post.

Cool King
Also, I completely forgot all about Itami until about a week or two ago.

Destor
Miss Noid

Cool King
03-27-2017, 03:27 PM
So do I actually.

Even though he was beginning to get a little bit crazy with his posts.

Cool King
03-27-2017, 03:28 PM
He has visited since claiming he was "done" with this place though.

He just hasn't posted.

Destor
03-27-2017, 03:31 PM
I like his perspective. He always sees value in guys one else does.

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Non english speaking wrestlers tbf

How many English speaking have gotten over in the past 30 years?Yokozuna (not even Japanesse) They've literally all failed.

Destor
03-27-2017, 03:49 PM
How many English speaking have gotten over in the past 30 years?Yokozuna (not even Japanesse) They've literally all failed.
That's what im saying yes. You have to be able to cut sa promo. It's nonnegotiable.

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 03:53 PM
It's funny to think the two most successful Japanesse wrestlers in company history aren't even Japanesse: Fuji and Yokozuna. Like you have to go back to Mr Saito where the company treated an actual Japanesse wrestler as something more than a comedy stereotype and pushed effectively

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Lol I'm on a long bus ride so I put together a list of the WWF "Asian gimmicks"off the top of my head.

Kenzo Suzuki
Yoshi Tatsu
Orient Express
Tajiri
Fuji and Yokozuna
Jimmy Wang Yang
Sakoda.
Kaientai complete with the English voiceovers
Lol Tensai
Hakushi
Lol was AL Snow's Avatar considered Asian
Guys like Inoki, Yoshi Yatsu, Sakaguchi tried forever to get over in the WWF and failed.

Lol not the best track record

Destor
03-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Doesnt help that most of these are really racist.

Why they have to present every Oriental worker with these oriental subtexts is beyond me. KENTAs music for example. Why cant he just come out to music? Why does his ethnicity have to be his gimmick? Cant he just be a brown vanilla miget? (Love KENTA but my point stands.)

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 04:21 PM
I was just about to add that.

A Japanesse wrestler comes along and being that it's the WWE they need a gimmick (not saying that's wrong) so they pick out of the box of Asian Stereotypes.

I'm waiting for Nakamura to get called up and be given a gimmick where he's late to matches because he's a shitty driver

Destor
03-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Gooby would fucking love that angle

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Shane Mcmahon: Shinsuke, you're late again and missed your match with A.J Styles

Shinsuke: ah, mi so sawry

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Then we join the antics of Ellsworth trying to teach Shinsuke how to drive.

They are later paired as the team " The Chin and the Chinaman"
It's the WWE, so not being Chinese doesn't matter.

Destor
03-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Worst part is that they would totally book that

Rammsteinmad
03-27-2017, 04:44 PM
I'd watch it. :y:

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Lol so would i

Emperor Smeat
03-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Lol I'm on a long bus ride so I put together a list of the WWF "Asian gimmicks"off the top of my head.

Kenzo Suzuki

Trying to remember but wasn't the original plan for him to be named after a former Japanese emperor and people had to explain to Vince/Creative why that was terrible both as an idea and plans they had for the gimmick.

Think even Kenzo and Tajiri persuaded them to do something else instead for their own safety whenever they'd want to go back to Japan and not have to risk dealing with a pissed off Yakuza.

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Lol yeah, that was the plan for Kenzo

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 05:04 PM
WWE Creative: So Shinsuke, we are trying to come up with a gimmick for you. What are your hobbies?

Shinsuke: well I like video games

Creative: Like Dance/Dance Revolution!

I could see that being a coversation that was/will be had

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Asians are really good at DDR if you didn't get my terrible attempt at humour

XL
03-27-2017, 05:18 PM

Kenzo Suzuki
Yoshi Tatsu
Orient Express
Tajiri
Fuji and Yokozuna
Jimmy Wang Yang
Sakoda.
Kaientai complete with the English voiceovers
Lol Tensai
Hakushi
Lol was AL Snow's Avatar considered Asian
Guys like Inoki, Yoshi Yatsu, Sakaguchi tried forever to get over in the WWF and failed.

Lol not the best track record
Not sure about Avatar, but Kwang I'm pretty sure was supposed to be Japanese.

XL
03-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Also, Tajiri was pretty successful.

Bad News Gertner
03-27-2017, 05:27 PM
I loved him, but he was a mid card guy

Destor
03-27-2017, 05:39 PM
I loved him, but he was a mid card guy

But prob the least racist

Simple Fan
03-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Then we join the antics of Ellsworth trying to teach Shinsuke how to drive.

They are later paired as the team " The Chin and the Chinaman"
It's the WWE, so not being Chinese doesn't matter.

Can totally see this happening. With their Ride Along show it's almost guaranteed now.