PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's IRON FIST (Netflix 2017)

slik
10-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Looks really good!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0sEJeWB3RA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lock Jaw
10-08-2016, 08:38 PM
A superhero with curly hair? No one's gonna buy that

Fignuts
10-09-2016, 02:51 AM
Yessssssssss

Destor
10-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Marvelous

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-09-2016, 01:58 PM
They are doing too much of these.

Shadow
10-09-2016, 03:04 PM
The fist lights up.

That's all I need.

Fignuts
10-09-2016, 07:52 PM

It doesn't come out til next year.

Sixx
10-10-2016, 04:37 AM

huh? come the fuck on, marvel shows are always good, can't have too many of those

Destor
10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
They are doing too much of these.1 every 6 months?

ClockShot
10-10-2016, 04:20 PM

Just so you know, The Punisher started production.

They're gonna keep on coming. Whatever hero's name gets pulled out of the hat, they'll get a movie or TV series.

That said, gonna have a hard time adjusting to Ser Loras Tyrell becoming Iron Fist. But, this Marvel/Netflix partnership hasn't had a dud series yet.

ClockShot
03-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Reviews ain't that great. Sitting on a 33 over at Metacritic.

Lock Jaw
03-09-2017, 07:14 PM
I still haven't finished Luke Cage

Destor
03-09-2017, 07:24 PM

Will note that critics have only seenthe first 6 but yeah reviews are poor

ClockShot
03-09-2017, 07:25 PM
6 is enough for a first impression if you're doing a short season show, in my opinion.

Corporate CockSnogger
03-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately all of the Marvel Netflix shows have suffered from pacing issues to varying degrees.

I think all of them could have done with being at most 10 episodes, in some cases 8. So gauging the quality in 6 episodes may not give a full representation.

It won't make a difference to me, I'll still check out Iron Fist and make my own opinions, but yeah, a lot of reviews are claiming it's just not that interesting.

Sixx
03-10-2017, 09:53 AM
it's 14 percent on rotten tomatoes

Destor
03-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Maybe they've finally made a dud. Im curious to see. Most reviews I've read bash it for Asian appropriation and even claim the Danny is sexist toward Coleen. Still find it really weird reading reviews that have only seen the first act but the reviews are consistent.

XL
03-10-2017, 12:47 PM
They can just make him to The Defenders what Hulk is to The Avengers (I.e. Never gets their own show/movie, just turns up in cameos/cross-over movies/shows.

Destor
03-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Im most worried that theyre saying the kung fu is bad. Im a Kung fu junkie and I really need the action to be good.

Ruien
03-11-2017, 02:05 PM
They can just make him to The Defenders what Hulk is to The Avengers (I.e. Never gets their own show/movie, just turns up in cameos/cross-over movies/shows.

Should work. Hulk is what makes the Avenger movies special to me since he does not have his own movies.

Swiss Ultimate
03-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Im most worried that theyre saying the kung fu is bad. Im a Kung fu junkie and I really need the action to be good.

Will check it out.

ClockShot
03-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Should work. Hulk is what makes the Avenger movies special to me since he does not have his own movies.

Sure he does.

I thought Eric Bana and Ed Norton did a great job.

Mind you, The Incredible Hulk does tie in to The Avengers.

Black Widow
03-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Fuck critics!

I form my own opinion and theirs are irrelevant to me.

Destor
03-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Fuck critics!

I form my own opinion and theirs are irrelevant to me.

This is so silly to me.

We all do. We're not robots. However we havent seen it. And so far no one who has seen has gushed about it. Once we've seen it we will either confirm or deny their opinions.

RP
03-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Everytime i click on this damn thread i keep clicking up Netflix looking for this show thinking its on. FUCK YOU GUYS!

Destor
03-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Ever wonder what a live action iron Fist show would look like? Say no more.

Destor
03-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Im very much the target audience for this so i cant comment if the criticisms are valid or not due to bias...but i love it.

RP
03-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Havent watched it but seeing some blow back from fans at the critic reviews.

Destor
03-17-2017, 09:25 PM
I don't even know where the negativity came from. maybe its not your thing but it isn't inherently flawed like the reviews claimed. I think it might not be cool to like marvel anymore is all. But again the product is niche and I'm the market so I'm hoping someone else will come along with a different opinion...because right now I don't even see the basis for the critique.

Destor
03-17-2017, 09:39 PM
But Iron Fist is in my top 5 so my opinion doesn't weigh much critically

Damian Rey 2.0
03-18-2017, 02:55 AM
From what I'm gathering through reading, it doesn't sound bad so much as it sounds passable or just "meh" or ok. I'm certain it's probably passable and even decent or solid. But that's a tough grading after Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were huge homeruns.

Kalyx triaD
03-18-2017, 12:34 PM
So far the pace is certainly slow and unfortunately the combat doesn't seem on par with DD (I'm just three eps in).

Kalyx triaD
03-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Coleen Wing is so hot.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Four episodes in and I'm lovin' it.

Blonde Moment
03-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Actually liking it better than Luke Cage, a little busier maybe?

Lock Jaw
03-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Liking a lot more than Luke Cage thus far..... but then again, I didn't really like Luke Cage so much....

Lock Jaw
03-19-2017, 01:50 AM
Ok, I'm tapping out at binging nine episodes today.

Wish I wasn't working tomorrow and could finish it.

Destor
03-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Only thing i didn't love was Clare's arc and Colleen keeping her sword sheathed 70% of the time

Lock Jaw
03-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Welp. I'm done.

Loved it.

Kalyx triaD
03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Getting to the middle of the season. Danny is more Goku than how Goku was in Evolution. I get a lot of DB vibes actually.

RP
03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Watching the first episode and so far it's a little like Arrow which is disappointing. Laughing at the this dude being like " I'm Big Al ? " i dunno too funny.

RP
03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Also Big Al is going to be the classic, befriended innocent poor guy who gets murdered and sets off a fury of revenge.

Ruien
03-20-2017, 03:48 PM
On episode like 5. Love it so far.

Kalyx triaD
03-20-2017, 03:50 PM
There's an episode directed by Kevin Tanchoren and it's as hype as I knew it would be when I seen his name in the opening credits. He needs to be showrunner, as far as I'm concerned. It's a perfect fit.

RP
03-20-2017, 04:02 PM
I like the subtle approach of showing how poor hobo's get treated by everyda y regular and rich people, but i think it's a little to subtle. They could have gone harder on that.

Ruien
03-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Asian girl is super hot.

Kalyx triaD
03-20-2017, 04:06 PM
How Danny was treated when people thought he was a hobo probably could have been a bigger focus, I agree. I thought that was gonna be a thing but they quickly dropped it once he was taken into the company. Although, one could reason that Danny's compassion for the little guy (a theme of the Defender's roster) was likely informed from how he was treated during his trip back home.

Destor
03-20-2017, 04:36 PM
I like how despite his coperate status Danny is still dealing with street level issues

Kalyx triaD
03-20-2017, 04:57 PM
It helps that he's not been raised in that corporate life the way the siblings were.

Destor
03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Pseudo siblings

RP
03-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Only one episode in. It's good. Not great. Some bad writing, but i'm hoping it gets better. I'll watch.

RP
03-20-2017, 06:38 PM
2 episodes in. I think it's great so far. Fucking critics. Never listen to them seriously.

Kalyx triaD
03-21-2017, 04:11 PM
Review/Riff-Raff/Spoilers:

- It's very interesting how the Hand is more or less an Asian Hydra, complete with splinter groups and infighting. A lot of buildup kinda lead to very little, which is very frustrating with all the questions DD left about the Hand. Also it seems very odd that Stick wasn't involved in all this crazy business being that he also specifically wants to destroy the Hand. Another oddity is the complete lack of ninjas considering everybody involved.

- While the actual moves are authentic, most of the fights in this of all shows have way too many cuts. I would have Kevin Tanchoron do all the fights, dare I say run the show, in S2. His episode had the best fight sequences and there's no reason for Iron Fist to not have fights on par with Daredevil's show. In fact I would make it a point that the show have the most elaborate, martial arts of all the shows. While DD retains the korean 'real fight' choreography, Iron Fist could really showcase the longer take, chinese choreography it really should.

- Kinda disappointing that all that mystique and apparent power Madam Gao has (as well as one hint that she's much older than she looks), she's reduced to a literal old lady in a room. It's even mentioned why she doesn't just magic palm her way out of the situation, and it was waved off as another one of her mind games. Except she could still see Danny anytime she wished. Perhaps her old lady ploy really is her long con, but after swiftly humbling Matt and then Danny with minimal effort when they got too close, it seemed absurd that she could be 'caught' and 'held'. I'm forced to interpret this as a part of her game, but imo it kinda buried one of the strongest presences of the Netflix sub-universe.

- Claire Temple continuing to link everything is fun and fine and I just love to see her. It's about time she takes up the Night Nurse thing, since her macro-arc along the shows is pointing her to the answer she's been asking herself - she is one of the special people. She's the fifth Netflix hero. She's a Defender. It would be very sweet for one of the heroes to recognize this and give her the credit she deserves.

- Coleen is hot. And it's great what they did with her actual role and I wonder how much is still in her head. Would love to see her vs Elektra.

- I would have certainly made a gag about Danny lasting .3 seconds losing his virginity to Coleen of all women.

- Harold is at times hilarious and comes close to over the top but I rather not have had him be the 'final boss' of all this. The final battle was just 90's bad with some millionaire pointing a gun at the much more physically capable hero, taunting him and blah blah. And to think I swear they dropped hints that he knew a thing or two about combat as well as strength increase. But here we are looking at a non-kung fu final battle on a show about Iron Fist. Just really jarring. And then it seems they kill him off for good so he can't even stick around as a sort of Lex Luthor type villain running Rand while Danny or the other Defenders try to stick crimes to him. Would have made his very odd character arc work but no... He's out. Still I thought he was kinda funny and if anything should have made him more over the top if you were gonna kill his ass. His 'final words' were great.

- Ward also had a very bizarre arc that just wasted a lot of time. Him and his sister. Just completely uninteresting.

- I told my buddy that Danny Rand is essentially Goku in a lot of ways whether the writers know this or not. Now they could run with this with more borrowed tropes from the Monkey King legend or do something else, but I think they should stay that course. They show very clearly that there's a final level to being the Iron Fist, footage of guy in the classic mask destroying armed soldiers with TWO iron fists as it's supposed to be. So Danny has more to learn, which is good. And they really should have had his hand glow green when used for healing, and red when his chi is charged by rage (just my personal visual idea, not completely comic accurate). I liked Finn Jones as Danny overall.

- Not as strong as DD S1 (nothing really has, tbh) and I could honestly say it's perhaps the weakest Defender show. But given the spectrum we're working with it's still a good show. If S2 can alter the choreography to be more Asian styled and Danny's arc follows more anime/Monkey King tropes than it would stand out much better.

Destor
03-21-2017, 04:18 PM
A lot of the Hand/Gao stuff is clearly going to be what the defenders show is about though so I understand pushing as a subplot.

RP
03-21-2017, 04:27 PM
still watching fuck you gpuys

Kalyx triaD
03-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Review/Riff-Raff/Spoilers:

You can't get me to believe you are unable to not read something unless it is literally hidden behind a tag. And with "spoiler" there in the post, on top of everything. I don't believe it for a second.

I just finished it last night and I managed to avoid any spoilers in the vast sea of the internet. I can't possibly sympathize with the 'I can't help myself' stance. And my write up was long winded so it's not like I blasted the page with an immediate spoiler.

I'm sorry, RP, this is on you. I simply never had this odd lack of self control. I'm sorry.

Kalyx triaD
03-21-2017, 04:37 PM
I am a whole season behind Walking Dead, the CW heroes, many other shows and I still manage to avoid spoilers. It's an automatic response.

*Facebook post by a bud, "Yo when Rick-" done, I'm done reading, I'm scrolling now spoiler or not*

It is a mystery to me this inability for others to do this.

Destor
03-21-2017, 09:24 PM
still watching fuck you gpuys

I gotchu

Destor
03-21-2017, 09:27 PM
I am a whole season behind Walking Dead, the CW heroes, many other shows and I still manage to avoid spoilers. It's an automatic response.

*Facebook post by a bud, "Yo when Rick-" done, I'm done reading, I'm scrolling now spoiler or not*

It is a mystery to me this inability for others to do this.

Pretty sure you just verified that you read slowly. As a speed reader i can read a novel in an afternoon. Reading a paragraph or two before youve really began to think about them is the norm.

Destor
03-21-2017, 09:28 PM
By the time ive processed "rick ge--" ive res the entire post

Kalyx triaD
03-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Spin it how you want; I'm a slow reader, sure whatever. Point is I really don't see how you don't tread carefully if you're worried about spoilers. Opening a thread about the thing you don't want spoiled. It is ridiculous.

Kalyx triaD
03-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Went back and read it and the first bullet point isn't even a spoiler but does let you know that I'm giving a full review. And I'm generously ignoring that I literally wrote spoiler at the top. So what the fuck are you telling me right now, even if you're reading fast you don't know how to stop and scroll? I honestly don't get it.

Lock Jaw
03-22-2017, 01:03 AM
I bet you RP didn't even care about the spoilers, and his "F you guys" was more like a "Damn, I'm still watching. F all you guys for already finishing"

Kalyx triaD
03-22-2017, 01:09 AM
RP the puppet master.

Swiss Ultimate
03-23-2017, 04:08 PM
What went wrong with Iron Fist? (http://www.looper.com/50803/went-wrong-iron-fist/?utm_source=fb.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=facebook_zergnet)

VS.

Rotten Tomatoes Audiences score: 83% (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_iron_fist/s01/#audience_reviews)

Destor
03-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Audience score is a junk stat. No way to stop artificial inflation of the score.

KIRA
03-23-2017, 04:27 PM
I had to power through watching six episodes.

Swiss Ultimate
03-23-2017, 04:27 PM
So do people love it or not? You guys seem to enjoy it.

Destor
03-23-2017, 04:30 PM
So do people love it or not? You guys seem to enjoy it.
I loved it, Im just saying that is bad data. Reactions are mixed from what I can see though. Love/hate/meh all the range is there.

Swiss Ultimate
03-23-2017, 04:59 PM
How easy is it to defraud Rotten Tomatoes?

Lock Jaw
03-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Have not heard from anybody in real life who hated it

Destor
03-23-2017, 06:08 PM
How easy is it to defraud Rotten Tomatoes?

You just need to set up an email and register on the site.

Ruien
03-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Love it!

Kalyx triaD
03-24-2017, 02:50 AM
Brett Ratner said Rotten Tomatoes hurt public perception of Batman v Superman and at least one site reporting that laughed at him for it. This site also blasts Iron Fist.

So this is the game: When is Rotten Tomatoes taken as a legit gauge for review?

Personally I never liked it or Metacritic.

Destor
03-24-2017, 09:04 AM
RT and MC are good in my book, on the critic scores atleast. It's just averages. The user scores are trash though.

Swiss Ultimate
03-24-2017, 10:16 AM
It's not scientific, but I'm thinking people are who register for these movie rating sites must be somewhat passionate about movies and TV for the most part.

I'm sure there are hundreds of fale accounts set up though.

Destor
03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Yeah passionate enough to set up as many accounts as needed to manipulate the results...

Swiss Ultimate
03-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Must be why Girl Ghostbusters did so well.

Destor
03-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Cant see it hitting 53% without some serious help tbh

Swiss Ultimate
04-15-2017, 03:15 PM
I am liking it so far.

I am a little anxious to find out the real reason Danny left.

Swiss Ultimate
04-15-2017, 03:19 PM
lol at Danny losing his virginity with the iron dong

Destor
04-15-2017, 08:54 PM
The shows real crime is not having Danny wear the mask. Limits the action, youd get more milage with a kung fu double

Swiss Ultimate
04-15-2017, 09:11 PM
I never read the comics, so for me it isn't an issue. I think the actor does a pretty good job though.

Destor
04-15-2017, 09:22 PM
The kung fu is inferior to daredevil which is a travesty. Really enjoyed the show, its flaws could have easily been avoided by just doing what they had already done

Kalyx triaD
04-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Agreed, it is insane that this show wouldn't have the hypest fight scenes of all the Defenders. Abysmal.

But again, give this whole show to Kevin Tacheron.

RP
04-15-2017, 11:48 PM
I thought everything sucked about it except the Asian girl who was hot.

Ruien
04-16-2017, 09:03 AM
2 episodes in. I think it's great so far. Fucking critics. Never listen to them seriously.

Sad to hear your opinion changed :(. The Asian girl is super hot though.

Sixx
04-16-2017, 09:21 AM
11th episode now. i think it's awesome.

Swiss Ultimate
04-16-2017, 09:29 AM
I didn't watch Daredevil. First episode lost me.

drave
04-16-2017, 09:48 AM
I didn't watch Daredevil. First episode lost me.

Def should re-watch it. The last season with The Punisher is outstanding.

That said, I knew nothing of "Iron Fist" and rally enjoyed this run, despite the plot being obvious. I won't knock them for the fight scenes, as for the most part they felt more realistic without using too much green screen / tricks. I am also not a comic whore, so I won't be as critical as most.

Looking forward to the next season.

Destor
04-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Def should re-watch it. The last season with The Punisher is outstanding.

That said, I knew nothing of "Iron Fist" and rally enjoyed this run, despite the plot being obvious. I won't knock them for the fight scenes, as for the most part they felt more realistic without using too much green screen / tricks. I am also not a comic whore, so I won't be as critical as most.

Looking forward to the next season.there is no green screen in daredevil just good kung fu action. Actors and stunt men doing cool things. Dunno what youre on about.

Sixx
04-16-2017, 10:57 AM
daredevil season 2 is the best.

that said, i enjoyed all marvel netflix shows. jessica jones was weird, but still good.

Lock Jaw
04-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Daredevil season 1 was better than season 2....... in my opinion......

Jessica Jones season 1 the next best

Then Daredevil season 2

Then Iron Fist season 1

Luke Cage a distant last

..... in my opinion.........

drave
04-16-2017, 09:00 PM
there is no green screen in daredevil just good kung fu action. Actors and stunt men doing cool things. Dunno what youre on about.

I missed the part where I said that.

Tom Guycott
04-16-2017, 11:03 PM
The problem I had with this series is the arguably unfair but ultimately unavoidable comparisons to everything that came before it. I liked it, but not as much as I felt like I should.

It wasn't as good as the other shows, but they set an impressively sustained high bar. Yes, there should have been more action/less drama for this to be Iron Fist, but it wasn't horrid either. Its almost like it was just settled on beforehand to be mediocre since it can get away with being required watching for The Defenders.

I thought everything sucked about it except the Asian girl who was hot.

Sad to hear your opinion changed :(. The Asian girl is super hot though.

She made my eyes happy almost as much as Rosario. Anytime they were on screen together was some must-watch TV.

One thing I kept wondering throughout was if Coleen was supposed to be (directly, but without rights or just indirect nod) Shi. She definitely has the ass to pull the costume off.

Destor
04-16-2017, 11:11 PM
I missed the part where I said that.i gotchu, no worries fam

I won't knock them for the fight scenes, as for the most part they felt more realistic without using too much green screen / tricks.

Destor
04-16-2017, 11:14 PM
She made my eyes happy almost as much as Rosario. Anytime they were on screen together was some must-watch TV.

One thing I kept wondering throughout was if Coleen was supposed to be (directly, but without rights or just indirect nod) Shi. She definitely has the ass to pull the costume off.

She was meant to be Colleen Wing. Long time partner of Misty Knight and core member of the Heroes For Hire...

Tom Guycott
04-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Didn't know. Not super familiar with HFH. Thanks for clearing that up.

drave
04-17-2017, 06:13 AM
i gotchu, no worries fam

Right. I was referring to the fighting in Iron Fist not relegating to use of green screen.

there is no green screen in daredevil just good kung fu action. Actors and stunt men doing cool things. Dunno what youre on about.

Here is the entire sentence. Nowhere do I mention Daredevil using green screen.

I won't knock them for the fight scenes, as for the most part they felt more realistic without using too much green screen / tricks.

No worries "fam".

Sixx
04-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Jessica Stroup (Joy) has one the most beautiful faces I have ever seen.

Swiss Ultimate
04-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Finished. Kinda got weird in the end. Now I'm watching Daredevil.

I skipped most of the first season, wasn't impressed by the fighting, then season 2 just fucked my brain hole. Punisher feud is insane.

Kalyx triaD
04-28-2017, 11:05 PM
What type of beta cuck would not dig Daredevil's fight sequences?

Unfollowed

Destor
04-28-2017, 11:17 PM
The fight scene at the end of DDS1E2 is in my top 5 of all time...

Damian Rey 2.0
04-29-2017, 12:06 AM
That the one shot scene in the hallway? Amazing.

Destor
04-29-2017, 10:05 AM
That the one shot scene in the hallway? Amazing.

Yup. I as a rule have a hard on for oners but even ignoring that its still so fuckkng good.

Damian Rey 2.0
04-29-2017, 12:56 PM
I can't remember disliking any fight scene in either Daredevil seasons. Show is so well done.

Swiss Ultimate
04-29-2017, 02:38 PM
What type of beta cuck would not dig Daredevil's fight sequences?

Unfollowed

Seriously, season 1 didn't feel that different from Iron Fist as far as the fighting went.

I skipped around a lot, but overall not especially impressed. Season 2 of DD though...wow.

Kalyx triaD
04-29-2017, 07:02 PM
If you don't see a difference between Daredevil and Iron Fist fight scenes you're probably not in any place to judge fight scenes to begin with.

Kalyx triaD
04-29-2017, 07:03 PM
And you 'skipped around' like what are you even doing here

Ruien
04-29-2017, 07:11 PM
If you don't see a difference between Daredevil and Iron Fist fight scenes you're probably not in any place to judge fight scenes to begin with.

Ya Swiss, you are such an amateur with fight scenes! Scrub.

Kalyx triaD
04-29-2017, 10:50 PM
Totally.

Swiss Ultimate
05-01-2017, 08:57 PM
I am.

I admit it.

I need help.

Sixx
05-13-2017, 07:57 PM
The ending was seriously dumb, though. Their plan, than that stupid scene on the roof where one was hiding fron the other and the other one was looking for him and they just wouldn't stop talking, always giving away their position.

And how was Rand such a fucking cripple in that fight? He fought like a pussy, got knocked out bo some old schrub. They tried to explain it with "you ain't nothing without that fist" but come the fuck on, he used to take on like 20 people at once without using it. And those people were trained fighters. Dumb as shit.