PDA

View Full Version : Question about AWA Title continuity

keeper2k
10-13-2016, 01:22 AM
Does the WWE count it as a world championship? In the same way of counting Flair's NWA Title reigns in his world title count?

Emperor Smeat
10-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Doubt it since usually WWE just follows whatever belts flow into the WWE title or former World belt for official status. They are also very picky about what reigns to count for non-WWE titles.

NWA title counts as a world belt for them but only to get the connection to the original World championship and because of WCW's lineage to the belt. Once WCW gets treated as its own, the NWA belt no longer counts.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/WWE_world_title_lineage.jpeg

Mr. Nerfect
10-14-2016, 05:36 AM
Cool diagram, Meatball.

Mr. Nerfect
10-14-2016, 05:41 AM
WWE could count it as a World Championship if they wanted to and if it suited their purposes. But where does that come in? They're very, very unlikely to put Jerry Lawler in another match, but they could promote him as a former World Champion if they wanted to -- but they never really did.

Mr. Nerfect
10-14-2016, 05:44 AM
I'm trying to think of a reason they would promote it as a World Championship away from something specifically referencing it, if you know what I mean? It's not like there are plenty of former AWA Champions running around in the WWE and they want to count those reigns in the career total.

If Rick Martel goes into the Hall of Fame, then they might make mention of his 500+ day reign as AWA World Heavyweight Champion -- but that's specifically isolated to that title. You don't know how that relates in their view to the NWA Title, WCW Title or even ECW Title (which they count for Big Show and seemingly stop counting from Morrison onwards).

keeper2k
10-14-2016, 07:11 AM
I also don't believe I've heard Curt Henning/Mr. Perfect referred to as a world champion(in the WWE landscape).

Mr. Nerfect
10-16-2016, 10:26 AM
It's a shame, in a way.

1jdub
01-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Does anyone have a 5 star blue chip picture of the AWA Inmate Belt? There are lots of pics of the belt but I need one that will make a blue chip splash if anybody has one!