PDA

View Full Version : Who SHOULDN'T get a big Mania match?

Maluco
01-16-2017, 11:43 AM
I have been seeing lists in many threads for Mania matches and they are a mile long. It stands to reason that not every feud will get its Mania payoff, and not every star on both brands will have their own Mania feud and match.

So far we have...

Lesnar/Goldberg
Rollins/HHH
Big Show/Shaq

...Appear nailed down.

Miz/Ambrose
Jericho/Owens
Orton/Wyatt
Charlotte/Bailey

...Are feuds with build

Then you have to try and create space for Cena, Reigns, Strauman, Styles, Balor, Sasha, Jax, Becky, Taker as well as guys further down the card with something going on like Neville, Ziggler, Corban and the tag division.

Thinking about his today, even with the massive runtime, it's going to be very difficult to get every proposed feud, match and title on the show. That's an issue because now, more than ever, Raw and Smackdown need as many stars as possible highlighted so that each brand has strength and direction after the big show is over and the part timers move out.

The big question is, who should get a big match at the event? How can you maintain that balance of showcasing part time draws, while at the same time shining a light on both Raw and Smackdown and their emerging stars?

Someone I haven't included in my list is Shane. They seem adamant on giving him something, but I have no interest in seeing him wrestle, especially in a match with no current build. He doesn't need a match on the show and I hope he doesn't get one.

Personally I would leave Ambrose/Miz off the main card too. It is a feud, with build, but Ambrose hasn't had a great last 6 months from what I have seen. I think he could easily go in an IC ladder match, which could include guys like Ziggler, Kalisto and Corban. Miz, I would have in one of the title matches like Vito suggested in another thread.

It is very difficult to find a card that works, especially when things like Shaq/Show could take up a lot of time as a segment/match.

It's easy to just say, scrap all part timers, but some of them are going to get eyes on the show that wouldn't be there otherwise. I, for one, am infinitely more interested in the Rumble because Lesnar, Goldberg and Taker are in it. The best Rumbles in history have always had star power.

Any thoughts?

Who would you leave off the main show without hurting the feuds and the stars that have to maintain TWO brands post-mania, while at the same time, maintaining casual eyes on the product?

Ruien
01-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Shaq/Show will be like to 10 minutes.

Miz 100% needs to be on the card. He can go against Elsworth and people will still want to see it.

How many matches did they have last year? Like 12?

Bad News Gertner
01-16-2017, 12:04 PM
The Miz is the best heel in the company and has been for the past year

Innovator
01-16-2017, 12:09 PM
The Miz is the best heel in the company and has been for the past year

Black Widow
01-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Fuck Ellsworth he shouldn't be wrestling in a HS gym!

Mongo Lloyd
01-16-2017, 12:48 PM
The Undertaker should leave his elderly ass at home. How many concussions will he get from a match this year?

Rammsteinmad
01-16-2017, 01:31 PM
All these part timers is why the rest of the roster always looks so thin. Assuming that HHH/Rollins, Goldberg/Lesnar and Big Show/Shaq are all 100% happening, that's one relevant current star, four "part timers/celebs" and Big Show who isn't really on screen much and hasn't been relevant since about 2006.

Other than Goldberg/Lesnar for star power and special attraction, would rather not see HHH, Undertaker, Big Show or Shaq.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Probably me. I'm not even trained.

XL
01-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind HHH stepping back into a managers role and have somebody face Rollins as his surrogate. Someone suggested RooDe which would be a great way to bring him in but what about AJ (& The Club)? HHH brought those guys in a year ago, Styles vs Rollins would be a great match, and it solves the "What do we do with AJ conundrum".

RP
01-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Out of these

Lesnar/Goldberg
Rollins/HHH
Big Show/Shaq

Show vs Shaq is junk. Not a big match. No one cares. Lesnar really does not deserve a big match at WM at all. Fucking show up and wrestle a few Raws, maybe i'll reconsider. Goldberg is similar, but atleast he's show up and pulled some finishing moves and shit. Rollins absolutely deserves a huge match, but if HHH is not going to start promoting it soon, it shouldnt be against him. I'm not buying PPV for HHH just to show up the last month and make me believe him and Rollins are really feuding. It actually really hurts Rollins, but WWE i guess dont see that.

I've made a thread about this. I think Owens/ Braun should be a huge match. I think it should be a gimmick match too.

Also, the lack of gimmick matches in Wrestlemanias need to change anyhow. Lets mix in a Steel Cage match. If my Owens face turn storyline were to go through, it would end at WM in a Steel Cage match.

Stickman
01-16-2017, 02:32 PM
I dont mind Lesnar/Goldberg, it has been a slow yet "believable" fued so it kind of makes sense.
Show/shaq - no, just no.
HHH/Rollins makes zero sense. It feels like a year ago HHH screwed Rollins out of the Universal Title so why seek revenge now? I don't mind HHH wrestling, thhe guy can still go, but this is a yawner of a fued. The problem with HHH fightin at any mania as a part timer here on out is he is going to lose every match to "put over" some young up and comer so it is to obvious.

RP
01-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Crazy idea out of left field that WWE should steal and then pay me for. Have Dean Ambrose fued with a debuting Bobby Roode.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E7oMBq1vkCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The CyNick
01-16-2017, 03:11 PM
I think it's a good sign that WWE has so many programs that are coming to a head in time for Mania, and we've still got a ways to go to build things up even more.

I think HHH vs Rollins will be huge for Rollins to give him a showcase match. The feud has been a little disjointed because Hunter isn't on TV every week, but once he is, I think this will be a Mania worthy program.

I think they're looking at 12-14 matches at Mania this year. Which given their ability to go long and the pre show time, I think that's fine. Back in the day they used to have huge match cards for Mania, and that was with less time. When I plot out the card, I don't get many filler matches, so even though there may be a lot, I think everything planned looks good.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-16-2017, 03:15 PM
I don't see many right now. All Raw had rightt now is Reigns/Owens/Jericho.

Also part time Theater featuring Brock and Goldberg.

Mr. Nerfect
01-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Triple H does nothing to get me excited for WrestleMania. Beating him hasn't meant anything since Batista. He's just shoe-horned into a major match to give him something to do. His entrances drag out and why does beating him mean anything when you know he's going to be in a major match at the next year's Mania? Sometimes it's even higher priority stuff than the guy who beats him the year previous (see: Bryan, Daniel; Batista, Dave; and you know what, even arguably the fucking Undertaker at Mania X-8 and 29).

He'll probably complete the trifecta and "put over" Ambrose in New Orleans next year, but it ultimately won't mean anything for Ambrose, who will probably be given another token title reign or two to keep the wheels spinning. If Rollins calls out Triple H and tears him down, challenges him to a match at Mania, only for Triple H to stand there calmly until Samoa Joe comes out and destroys Rollins? That would be cool. But Rollins vs. Triple H does NOTHING for me. Well, I get a little giggle out of the idea of Rollins pinning Triple H with his own move.

screech
01-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Yeah I'd much rather have Triple H call up one of his "NXT guys" than take on Rollins at Mania, and I love Triple H.

Though wouldn't that build toward Rollins vs HHH anyway if Rollins wins? "I beat your guy, now quit being a bitch and let's do this."

Or something like that. I guess that follow-up match wouldn't have to be at Mania. I would be cool with it at SummerSlam, while Rollins beats a couple of hand-picked opponents along the way to keep the story going.

Mr. Nerfect
01-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Nah, because you don't present Triple H as "Daddy" and a semi-retired dude who can whip anyone in WWE and NXT whenever he wants because he's in a league of his own.

Big Vic
01-19-2017, 08:49 AM
What if Triple H is very awful at taking a pedigree? lol

Bad News Gertner
01-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Dean Ambrose. He's fucking awful.

Big Vic
01-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Kinda off topic But I'd like to see Miz win the Andre the Giant battle royal and earn a WWE title shot for winning then take the title at Extreme Rules or whatever.

DAMN iNATOR
01-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Shaq/Show will be like to 10 minutes.

Miz 100% needs to be on the card. He can go against Elsworth and people will still want to see it.

How many matches did they have last year? Like 12?

Yeah. 3 on the Pre-Show and 9 on the main card.

Maluco
01-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Dean Ambrose. He's fucking awful.

I don't really see Triple H as a special attraction anymore either, but if I am being honest, I would rather watch him in a key match than Ambrose. He has had an awful year character wise and seems so bland. They haven't fixed his attire either, which is an issue. I don't care if he is crazy, he just looks like someone from the crowd having a match.

He has no edge anymore and tbh, doesn't even look right with a title round him. Miz was far and away a better IC champ.

Would definitely have Ambrose off the main card the more I watch, and wouldn't bother giving Dolph anything major either after that Lawler promo. It was a real stretch and he seemed to struggle with his delivery. Him and Ambrose can both be in a packed IC title match.

Would like to see Corbin in something though. Even his entrance at Mania could be an awesome moment.

Also really like what they are doing with Braun. He is bookies favourite to win the Rumble as of yesterday. I would go for that. Keep him unstoppable and stop Reigns from spearing him so much.

Something a bit out of left field, but would enjoy a New Day triple threat after they unravel in the Rumble. Think it would be a great match and something completely different on the card.

mike adamle
01-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Dolph Ziggler has flopped at every opportunity given to him, leave him outta this one.

DAMN iNATOR
01-19-2017, 11:46 PM
I don't really see Triple H as a special attraction anymore either, but if I am being honest, I would rather watch him in a key match than Ambrose. He has had an awful year character wise and seems so bland. They haven't fixed his attire either, which is an issue. I don't care if he is crazy, he just looks like someone from the crowd having a match.

He has no edge anymore and tbh, doesn't even look right with a title round him. Miz was far and away a better IC champ.

Would definitely have Ambrose off the main card the more I watch, and wouldn't bother giving Dolph anything major either after that Lawler promo. It was a real stretch and he seemed to struggle with his delivery. Him and Ambrose can both be in a packed IC title match.

Would like to see Corbin in something though. Even his entrance at Mania could be an awesome moment.

Also really like what they are doing with Braun. He is bookies favourite to win the Rumble as of yesterday. I would go for that. Keep him unstoppable and stop Reigns from spearing him so much.

Something a bit out of left field, but would enjoy a New Day triple threat after they unravel in the Rumble. Think it would be a great match and something completely different on the card.

Yeah, Ambrose has had a real rough last year what with winning MitB, the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and the Intercontinental Championship. Poor Dean. 🙄

Bad News Gertner
01-20-2017, 01:24 AM
He was a horrible draw. Worse than Reigns. That's why he got the belt taken off him.

Damian Rey 2.0
01-20-2017, 02:23 AM
Don't forget getting completely outshined by Styles

Bad News Gertner
01-20-2017, 02:33 AM
I can't stand him on the mic, he doesn't sell moves at all. He's just meh.

DAMN iNATOR
01-20-2017, 02:37 AM
He was a horrible draw. Worse than Reigns. That's why he got the belt taken off him.

Don't forget getting completely outshined by Styles

Seems like he was pretty well over as WWE Champ, their minds were just made up ahead of time that he'd get a token run with it before hotshotting the belt onto Styles.

Bad News Gertner
01-20-2017, 02:39 AM
K, but he wasn't. House shows and attendance dropped with Ambrose as Champ.

Damian Rey 2.0
01-20-2017, 03:19 AM
I have no clue since I haven't watched since Mania. But to that point he was pretty dull and lost every major feud he was involved in.

screech
01-20-2017, 05:54 AM
I like Ambrose, but he's just been kinda "there" to me for a while.

And I didn't think about it until recently, but goddammit he really doesn't sell moves.

DAMN iNATOR
01-20-2017, 06:00 AM

He was though.

XL
01-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Not gonna argue whether Ambrose was over as champ/bad for business, but personally I feel he's lost A LOT of steam through 2016 to the point where I left him off my version of the card.

They can do a lot to make the ATGMBR feel like more than a "get everyone on the card" deal. There's plenty of people who it's going to be difficult to accomodate that can have a very straight forward "redemption"/"I'll prove myself" story going in. The likes of Ambrose and Ziggler could tell similar, almost opposite stories. Corbin is going for the x2 win, Zayn has an underdog persona that wants to prove himself, etc. If you put something on the line (#1 Contendership?) it would help too.

Maluco
01-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Yeah, Ambrose has had a real rough last year what with winning MitB, the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and the Intercontinental Championship. Poor Dean. 🙄

Honestly, are you more or less interested in Dean Ambrose and his character than you were post shield split?

You would think after winning all of that he would be more over than ever and a major player going into Mania season.

The fact is, he is not, and the order he won those titles in so close together is telling.

Miz as an IC champ is very obviously rebounding and on his way back up, Ambrose as IC champ is a major step down from where he was 4-5 months ago and he is only heading in one direction at the moment.

Bad News Gertner
01-20-2017, 01:22 PM
He was though.

Stats are your friend

KIRA
01-20-2017, 01:37 PM

I know what you're probably gonna say but part of Ambrose problem IMO is that he has been so watered down and not really allowed to be as out there as he could be instead hes more wacky than dangerously unhinged. (That aspect kinda showed up in his match with Lesnar)

Its like he's holding back then there are lines where you can tell he had them written for him (WWE writers have no idea how actual people speak) I hope when/if he turns heel he is allowed to go full tilt.

I'm gonna go watch his matches with Regal and cry about the Ambrose we could have.

Bad News Gertner
01-20-2017, 01:45 PM
He's a bootleg Brian Pillman. Nothing more.

Mr. Nerfect
01-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Wasn't Ambrose a better house show draw than Reigns earlier in the year, hence why they moved the belt onto him in the first place? Did his decline happen once he got it?

The dude has lost whatever little "edge" he had. The street gear was cute for a deranged man who felt betrayed by a buddy in 2014. Three years on and Deano should have bought himself some professional gear and taught himself how to throw a proper punch.

Ambrose -- in his current "incarnation" needs something to rebel against. He's a reactionary gimmick, so you can't really have him walking around like "the man" or the game is up. I wouldn't do it at WrestleMania, but the Ambrose vs. Shane McMahon story is probably the best thing for him.

The dude is getting completely outshined by AJ Styles and Ambrose himself seems completely okay with that, so fuck him a little bit.

Mr. Nerfect
01-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Dolph Ziggler has flopped at every opportunity given to him, leave him outta this one.

The thing with Ziggler is that he's never really had a Mania program that has been treated seriously. The dude has never gone one-on-one with anyone. That being said, this doesn't really seem like the year for it. Unless they are desperate to get Kalisto onto the main card and do him versus Ziggler -- Hair vs. Mask.

KIRA
01-20-2017, 05:38 PM
He's a bootleg Brian Pillman. Nothing more.

I can't get mad at that

The love young me had for Pillman was insane

Bad News Gertner
01-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Wasn't Ambrose a better house show draw than Reigns earlier in the year, hence why they moved the belt onto him in the first place? Did his decline happen once he got it?

The dude has lost whatever little "edge" he had. The street gear was cute for a deranged man who felt betrayed by a buddy in 2014. Three years on and Deano should have bought himself some professional gear and taught himself how to throw a proper punch.

Ambrose -- in his current "incarnation" needs something to rebel against. He's a reactionary gimmick, so you can't really have him walking around like "the man" or the game is up. I wouldn't do it at WrestleMania, but the Ambrose vs. Shane McMahon story is probably the best thing for him.

The dude is getting completely outshined by AJ Styles and Ambrose himself seems completely okay with that, so fuck him a little bit.

He was pretty much the same as Reigns, but behind Styles, Cena, Rollins and Wyatt

Mr. Nerfect
01-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Very interesting. No surprise with Cena being the bigger draw, but Styles, Rollins and Wyatt each surprise me for different reasons. Styles because he is so new to the company. Rollins because he was always the dude that people thought wouldn't work from The Shield, and his title reign was so poorly booked. Wyatt because he's never even been the champion.