PDA

View Full Version : You know NXT.... you're getting kinda fat

Rollermacka
02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lo_OLEYVlmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Obviously a joke.... lord knows I'm miles away from single digit body fat. Has anyone else notice the "turn" in the style of big men featured in NXT? It seems to be less of a focus on lean, ripped "Ryback" style big men, and more of the throwback imposing figure big men in the case of the Machine guys and Killian Dane in Sanity. Do you think it's better to have these kind of Vader/ Bundy style big men, or do you prefer the Batista style mountain of muscles?

#BROKEN Hasney
02-23-2017, 03:38 PM
http://tjrwrestling.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/kassius-ohno-roode-elbow-nxt-e1487824161145.jpg

Bad News Gertner
02-23-2017, 04:19 PM
You need variety

XL
02-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Gonna say; can't we have both as little no as they're good?

Outsider
02-23-2017, 06:22 PM
It's not about how fat they are, about how talented they are and whether they are booked correctly.

Talented big men, regardless of whether it's fat or muscle is fine.

Talentless big men booked as destroyers to hide their lack of ability can sod off. I'm looking at you Authors of Pain.

Jordan
02-23-2017, 06:25 PM
I like to see all types of body's except Chris Hero's.

Mercenary
02-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Only watc the Takeovers now as the draft killed it in one night

Destor
02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
It's not about how fat they are, about how talented they are and whether they are booked correctly.

Talented big men, regardless of whether it's fat or muscle is fine.

Talentless big men booked as destroyers to hide their lack of ability can sod off. I'm looking at you Authors of Pain.

Fat turds up and down the roster isnt going to make any money.

Im looking at you Kevin Steen

Outsider
02-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Only watc the Takeovers now as the draft killed it in one night

It did really suffer from that but the roster has started to regain depth again.

Pretty happy the UK guys are there too now. Think they can add a lot.

Currently watching Mandrews/Dunne.

Got tickets to the company they set up in a weeks time as well. Dunne isn't there this time but Andrews is. Always a good night.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Fat turds up and down the roster isnt going to make any money.

Im looking at you Kevin Steen

I'd be willing to bet it makes the same money as it does now. No one seems to care anymore, just tune in for their soap opera fix.

Emperor Smeat
02-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Think Triple H mentioned it once or twice before about his vision for NXT and WWE is favoring a more balanced roster when it came to body types and pushes unlike Vince. Wants something similar to classic NWA as his goal.

Just soo happened the recent batch of tv ready people included more fat guys to help round out the tv roster for NXT.

Rollermacka
02-23-2017, 08:23 PM
You need variety

Gonna say; can't we have both as little no as they're good?

I agree variety is good. I am actually pretty impressed by the Heavy Machine guys, I can honestly see them getting over as a monster face team on the main roster because of their energy and goofy antics.

I'm just asking, in your opinion, do you prefer a particular type of "big man"?

Mr. Nerfect
02-23-2017, 09:09 PM
It's good to have a mixture. I was just thinking the other day about how they don't really have ANY muscular guys in the same vein as a John Cena. It might be time to start putting Tino Sabbatelli and Dan Matha on TV.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-23-2017, 09:14 PM
I like to see all types of body's except Chris Hero's.

this lol

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-23-2017, 09:16 PM
still need jacked up dudes but also those big vader/bigelow types.

Chris Hero isn't anything. As I said before he has the body type of cottage cheese making him completely unbelievable.

Mr. Nerfect
02-23-2017, 09:31 PM
I buy Chris Hero just as much as I buy Kevin Owens. Hero is also taller.

Wishbone
02-23-2017, 10:57 PM
I don't, Noid. Owens isn't the most intimidating guy on the roster by any stretch, but he's waaaay more intimidating than Hero. Hero literally looks like Humpty Dumpty with that body and scrawny little arms.

Wishbone
02-23-2017, 10:59 PM
On topic though I'm cool with what they're doing. If they can find a musclebound Hercules who can actually wrestle and has charisma I'm game, but if he's just there for the muscle then there's absolutely no point at all and he'll just be wasting space.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Noid, have you ever played sports/worked out? I'm not asking to be a prick, just curious.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Cuz Chris Hero looks like he does nothing other than eat potato chips.

Kevin Owens reminds me of Roy Nelson, a surprisingly fit fat MMA fighter.

Nicky Fives
02-24-2017, 12:08 AM
You need all types of bodies. If everyone looks the same, no one will care. As long as they are entertaining and can draw and earn you money, you gotta hire them.

On a side note, Ohno could stand to lose a bit....or at least a change in attire....

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Diff'rent Strokes

Wishbone
02-24-2017, 02:55 AM
You need all types of bodies. If everyone looks the same, no one will care. As long as they are entertaining and can draw and earn you money, you gotta hire them.

On a side note, Ohno could stand to lose a bit....or at least a change in attire....

His attire is a HUGE part of the problem. While he still needs to do something about his physique if he'd change his attire he'd look 1000x better.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-24-2017, 04:02 AM
I think Ohno has legit issues with his weight. Dude has ridiculous cardio and can do long, athletic matches. But he can't keel the weight off

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Noid, have you ever played sports/worked out? I'm not asking to be a prick, just curious.

Yes to both. Are you going to try and convince me that Kevin Owens looks like a rugby player again?

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Kevin Owens is afraid to take his shirt off to fight; Roy Nelson is not. They present Owens as a fat kid too afraid to go swimming.

Bad News Gertner
02-24-2017, 08:10 AM
I've said this from the beginning: Kevin Owens = Tank Abbott in the UFC and I don't mean that as an insult. I LOVED Tank Abbott.

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2017, 08:11 AM
I think he's got to produce more manliness to really get that vibe across. He feels way too geeky and witty. Like he'd rather troll someone on the internet than actually get in a fight with them.

Rammsteinmad
02-24-2017, 08:17 AM
Is it me, or does every big indy name debut in NXT by going after the champion? Can't remember if Roode did or not... just feels like they all do, though.

Evil Vito
02-24-2017, 08:24 AM
As best I can tell, Owens has never wrestled without a shirt. Even way back when he was 20 and slimmer. It's always been his look. It's not like he just one day went "welp, I'm fat now - better cover up".

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Kevin_Steen.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RNQRNR6V4g4/UCu3XtequiI/AAAAAAAAAEo/Oh9DzVSGyMg/s1600/Steen+Ironman.png

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Is it me, or does every big indy name debut in NXT by going after the champion? Can't remember if Roode did or not... just feels like they all do, though.

It kind of does, because Triple H has been very savvy in getting the top indy talent signed to try and bolster his brand and cred. So when they come in hot, there is that wave of energy to jump on and book the title match with. But he's in a predicament now where he needs to try and get guys like No Way Jose up to the NXT main event level.

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2017, 08:36 AM
As best I can tell, Owens has never wrestled without a shirt. Even way back when he was 20 and slimmer. It's always been his look. It's not like he just one day went "welp, I'm fat now - better cover up".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RNQRNR6V4g4/UCu3XtequiI/AAAAAAAAAEo/Oh9DzVSGyMg/s1600/Steen+Ironman.png

And he looks like an indy geek. I also didn't say it was entirely his choice to look like that. The company has seemingly given that directive to him. Watch how quickly he used to scramble to pull his shirt down if it'd ride up (I can't remember the match where I saw this, but it definitely happened at least once) and now he wears a singlet under it.

Also, he used to wrestle in a singlet:

http://getlostphotography.smugmug.com/Other/2009-12-19-ROH-Final-Battle/DPP0543/753363969_vDfcd-M-3.jpg

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Yes to both. Are you going to try and convince me that Kevin Owens looks like a rugby player again?

I played Rugby for like 15 years, he looks like a rugby player. Try not being a twat Noid.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Noid you always chirp the CyNick but you're worse than he ever was these days.

Destor
02-24-2017, 09:22 AM
I played Rugby for like 15 years, he looks like a rugby player. Try not being a twat Noid.
He looks like a guy who sits around eating hohos all day

http://i.imgur.com/Mc2KjKy.jpg

Evil Vito
02-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Didn't realize Steen worse a singlet. He looks worse in that than he does wearing a T-shirt, IMO.

I'm with Gertner on the Tank Abbott comparisons.

Evil Vito
02-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Noid you always chirp the CyNick but you're worse than he ever was these days.

For somebody who by his own admission has enjoyed very little of the product since 2008 and only seems to watch in small spurts now, he sure bitches about it a lot.

Cool King
02-24-2017, 09:31 AM

Maybe he has a third nipple that he doesn't want anyone to see?

Cool King
02-24-2017, 09:55 AM
For somebody who by his own admission has enjoyed very little of the product since 2008 and only seems to watch in small spurts now, he sure bitches about it a lot.

I think maybe that's the problem.

When I stopped really watching the product between September 2015 and May 2016, I found myself really disliking it and I was so close to stopping all together.

I only watched Raw sporadically and when I did, I would skip pretty much the entire show. Eventually, I just stopped watching Raw completely and just watched PPV's, still skipping past most of the events.

I didn't like the majority of the new talent (or what was new to me at the time), the angles, the decisions that were being made, I found Raw to be terrible and SmackDown to be "Raw V2" and a whole lot of other stupid stuff.

Luckily for me though, the Brand Split was happening soon, and that gave me the opportunity of a "fresh start" so to speak.

Beginning then, I watched both Raw and SmackDown with open minds and I let things develop. New talent arrived and even though I didn't like most at first, I still gave them the chance to win me over and over time, it worked. For example, like I said in the SmackDown thread and others before it, I really didn't like Alexa Bliss at first but I kept watching her and she won me over.

I think the reason I didn't like what I was watching before was because I wasn't invested in the product. I wasn't watching because I really wanted to, I was watching because I felt I needed to. It was just a habit. I wasn't following angles and watching other matches and because I wasn't following them, I was lost and I had no idea what was going on and things didn't make sense and because of that, I thought it was because the product was shit.

It also really didn't help things that a little bit of me was watching with my nostalgia glasses on.

Now, I enjoy SmackDown more than Raw, I very rarely skip things but when I do, it's pretty much just the Cruiserweight matches, as after giving the division around five months to win me over, I just knew it wasn't clicking for me.

So I think in order to enjoy the product, investment is needed. You're not going to really enjoy the product if you just watch sporadically.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Destor what did you think of Dusty Rhodes?

Heisenberg
02-24-2017, 10:18 AM
I agree variety is good. I am actually pretty impressed by the Heavy Machine guys, I can honestly see them getting over as a monster face team on the main roster because of their energy and goofy antics.

I'm just asking, in your opinion, do you prefer a particular type of "big man"?

Luke Harper is my jam, he's not afraid to kick people in the face and that involves a lot of coordination for big dudes.

Destor
02-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Destor what did you think of Dusty Rhodes?
I think I covered this in steen's better wrestler match. If they would book steen like dusty was he'd work. Booking him tough is a joke.

Rollermacka
02-24-2017, 02:06 PM
It's good to have a mixture. I was just thinking the other day about how they don't really have ANY muscular guys in the same vein as a John Cena. It might be time to start putting Tino Sabbatelli and Dan Matha on TV.

Don't they have Tito and another guy as a tag team as like "body guys"? Where Tito is more cut and the other guy is taller?

There's a jacked 6 ft 7 Russian guy who was Tyler Breeze's bodyguard at house shows (right before he got called up) and was teamed with a dude who looked like Rob Terry for awhile (wanna say the other guy got released I think). Didn't WWE sign some German soccer player who got MASSIVE after competing in the world cup? (guy looked very similar to Mason Ryan to me)

And if worst comes to worse.... there's still that Josh guy from Tough Enough

Lock Jaw
02-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Didn't they already fire that Josh guy

Evil Vito
02-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Josh sucked.

Supposedly, Vince very openly said after the first episode of that Tough Enough season that Josh was his favorite. From there it was basically just a formality that he'd win.

Evil Vito
02-24-2017, 03:01 PM
I actually dug Mada a lot. Seemed to have a good work ethic, charisma, and a great look. Sounds like he quit on his own accord, though.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-24-2017, 03:09 PM
I think I covered this in steen's better wrestler match. If they would book steen like dusty was he'd work. Booking him tough is a joke.

Why? This is a post Tank Abbott fucking up the UFC world,.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 03:13 PM
I can deal with Destor's complaints about Owens more (EVEN THOUGH MOTHERFUCKER IS WRONG) than Noid. I like (HELL I LUVVV) the Noidster but he really borders on delusional blow hard sometimes. He thinks he's a fucking wrestling expert and if you read his fantasy booking ideas... well let's just say they suggest otherwise. He's not without merit, but being brought back down to size wouldn't hurt ;)

Owens is just that damned good. Plus there's not too many guys his size who can work at the pace and intensity he works at. It's a nice visual contrast. He's hard hitting and has a gas tank. At 270 pounds with a beer gut, that is down right impressive.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 03:14 PM
He looks like a greasy bar room brawler.

XL
02-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Josh is wrestling as Bronson Matthews in developmental. Zeze was let go.

Tim Wiese is the soccer player signed to a development deal.

Tino had been teaming with Riddick Moss.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 03:17 PM
He looks like a greasy bar room brawler.

Noid does, not Kevin Owens. I don't know what Noid looks like but I assume he looks like a greasy bar room brawler.

Destor
02-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Why? This is a post Tank Abbott fucking up the UFC world,.
Touch'e. Abbott was despite his huge loss record.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 03:23 PM
hey he could benchpress 600 lbs

Evil Vito
02-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Noid does, not Kevin Owens. I don't know what Noid looks like but I assume he looks like a greasy bar room brawler.

Tazz Dan and Noid met up IRL at some point during the last few month's of TD's life. Noid was a pretty good looking bloke if memory serves.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-24-2017, 03:36 PM
I'd prefer if he was a greasy bar room brawler. So should he.

Lock Jaw
02-24-2017, 03:55 PM
I actually dug Mada a lot. Seemed to have a good work ethic, charisma, and a great look. Sounds like he quit on his own accord, though.

Thought Mada was still under contract

Rollermacka
02-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Josh sucked.

Supposedly, Vince very openly said after the first episode of that Tough Enough season that Josh was his favorite. From there it was basically just a formality that he'd win.

Thought Mada was still under contract

I think Mada asked for his release recently.

I also read the "Vince loves Josh" rumors.... but then majority of the people who were on the show were "Vince types" (muscular, lean, ripped and tall) and they got offered contracts. Heck, even the twins who "quit" the show during the casting special (one's who Booker chewed out and said they didn't have a desire to be wrestlers)..... got contracts :-\

Danny Electric
02-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Josh is wrestling as Bronson Matthews in developmental. Zeze was let go.

Tim Wiese is the soccer player signed to a development deal.

Tino had been teaming with Riddick Moss.

They did have a British former 'soccer' player but I can't remember his name

Cool King
02-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Stuart Tomlinson.

His ring name was Hugo Knox.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Anybody think of Johnny and Leon is getting laaarger from Airplane!?

mike adamle
02-25-2017, 07:51 AM
No

Rollermacka
02-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Stuart Tomlinson.

His ring name was Hugo Knox.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/37/9d/c9/379dc9f68fdb2cd63c2083e70087e870.jpg

Yea, wasn't he supposedly going out with Nia Jax? He had a few matches on NXT, guy was completely ripped and shredded.... I wonder why they let him go

Outsider
02-28-2017, 08:11 PM
161 appearances as a professional goalkeeper in real football games will always be much more impressive than the 'big guy in a costume' appearances in the NFL, so had the proper athlete thing on his side.

No idea why he didn't make the cut though.

Evil Vito
03-01-2017, 09:07 AM
That man looks like he'd have given Vince a throbbing erection. I'm stunned he didn't get a chance.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-01-2017, 09:53 AM
LOOK AT THE PECTORAL DEFINTION. WOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA