PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Should Tazz become the "Ric Flair" of Smackdown and wrestle part-time?

Heyman
05-26-2004, 11:13 PM
DISCUSSION - Should Tazz become the "Ric Flair" of Smackdown and wrestle part-time?

-If I understand correctly, Tazz wasn't "forced" to retire due to injury. He simply chose to become a color commentator because the WWE creative team had no direction for his character.

-At a time when Smackdown could use a 'well known' wrestler to compete, don't you think it would be a good idea to have Tazz wrestle part-time? (kind of like Flair on Raw). Tazz is very over with the fans. Because he has been a color commentator for a number of years now, Tazz should be able to garner very good crowd responses....heel or face.

-I'm also in favor of the idea of having <font color=wheat>Tazz becoming the "motivating factor" in getting RVD to turn heel and go after the WWE title</font>. Here's what I'm thinking: Somewhere along the line, Tazz gets pissed at the fact that ex-ECW talent are 'underachieving' on Smackdown (himself included!). Tazz then gets the Dudleys and eventually RVD together to form a 4 man "ECW" stable.

-Tazz not only helps the Dudleys regain the title, but he helps RVD defeat Eddie Guerrero to become the new WWE champion. Furthermore, Tazz (with help from his stable mates) defeats John Cena to become the NEW United States Champion.

<font color=wheat>-So basically --> Tazz, RVD, Buh Buh Ray, and D'Von become the "Evolution of Smackdown" (but they refer to themselves as "ECW")</font>. These 4 men become the dominant heel stable on Smackdown. Replacing Tazz as color commentator, would be Paul Heyman (or Theodore Long.....Mark Jindrak doesn't really need him IMO).

An EXTENSION to this idea, would be to have this "ECW" stable be in the 'good books' of Kurt Angle. Therefore - these 4 guys convince Angle to make more trades with Bischoff......to get MORE ex-ECW talent to Smackdown (so this way, guys like Rhyno, Taijiri, and Tommy Dreamer can join them as well).

The CyNick
05-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Well if I were Tazz, I'd stay behind the mic. I dont know exactly what he's being paid at this point, but I do know pay offs are down for the workers, so why kill yourself in the ring when you can sit behind a desk injury free?

Speaking fo injuries, I believe Tazz has a messed up neck, now he might be able to wrestle, but again, why would he?

If he were to wrestle again, hell yeah put him in an ECW stable with Heyman, but like I said I dont see him coming back.

Or they could just have him be a member of the ECW team, but stay behind the announcers desk, and act as the voice for ECW.

Heyman
05-26-2004, 11:22 PM
-On Raw --> Why not have Test and Val Venis become a heel tag team? Both men are fairly good wrestlers and have potential to garner moderate-to-good heel heat. At a time when Raw could use another tag team, I think these two could deliver.

-I had a dream last night (disturbingly enough, this is recurring! :o -) that X-Pac and DDP were training together in the gym (the theme "eye of the tiger" was playing in the background). Both men were looking to make comebacks to the WWE.....and were motivating each other by training together (the last dream I had, X-Pac and Viscera were training). But anyways - I wouldn't mind seeing these two be associated with one another on Smackdown (as faces) if they came back. They could work the tag team division, and help one another out in singles matches (Eye of the Tiger would be there theme ;)).

The CyNick
05-26-2004, 11:24 PM
I dont think fans would cheer for X-Pac, even if they were promised to recieve sexual favors from Miss Jackie for cheering for him. People would be like, sure she's a hot piece of ass, and yeah I'd like to hit it, but God damn, X-Pac sucks!!!

HeartBreakMan2k
05-26-2004, 11:25 PM
I like the idea only and that's a big only, if Tazz could get back in ring shape. Well, that and use his each variation of the Tazplex (minus some of the more dangerous ones, like the tazmission tazplex.) I love Taz and I'd mark huge to see him back in the ring, but like CyNick said, why risk injury.

HeartBreakMan2k
05-26-2004, 11:26 PM
I dont think fans would cheer for X-Pac, even if they were promised to recieve sexual favors from Miss Jackie for cheering for him. People would be like, sure she's a hot piece of ass, and yeah I'd like to hit it, but God damn, X-Pac sucks!!!

Yeah, like during the invasion people booed X-Pac when he was fighting Kidman, he was one of only two who the fans didn't fully support (the other being Jeff, but he was against RVD so that's understandable.)

Heyman
05-26-2004, 11:30 PM

I'm sure they could "clean up" his gimmick a bit. Instead of being X-Pac, they could simply call him Sean Waltman. Waltman could come across as being more 'clean cut', etc.

Hell - if the WWE could get the fans to cheer ALBERT to some degree (the fans popped for him when him and Scotty 2 Hotty were a part of the 'Zoo Crew'), then I'm sure they could get X-Pac over again as a face.

Speaking of X-Pac, the guy was one of the top faces in the company back in 98/99. The fans loved his whole 'underdog' gimmick. That's one of the reasons why tagging with Kane was successful.

Even well after the whole "X-Pac sucks" thing started (and then X-Pac got sidelined for 4 months), he started getting respectable-sized face pops at House Shows when he came back (at House Shows, they had him going up against Bossman).

HeartBreakMan2k
05-26-2004, 11:32 PM
I actually liked X-Pac when he was the kid, Bret vs The 1-2-3 Kid was one of my favorite matches, but even if he could preform like he used to I still don't think he'd be over.

MVP
05-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah despite the whole injury-prone status, Tazz would be an asset to the ECW Stable.

As for Mark Jindrak, he needs Teddy Long for his mic skills, or he's going nowhere.

HeartBreakMan2k
05-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Well to be fair, at the moment Jindrak is going no where with Teddy Long.

Heyman
05-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Speaking fo injuries, I believe Tazz has a messed up neck, now he might be able to wrestle, but again, why would he?

Doesn't Flair also have a messed up neck?

As far as Tazz goes, the WWE could persuade him to wrestle, because he is 'over' with the fans......a time when Smackdown could use some 'well known' guys. I'm assuming that Tazz has a passion for wrestling, and so he'd be willing to do it.

Again - I'm not suggesting that Tazz start wrestling full-time and start taking INSANE bumps.

jindrak
05-26-2004, 11:38 PM
I don't want to see a bastardized version of ECW geting over in 2004. If this had been 2001,2002, or maybe even 2003, I wouldv'e agreed to the idea. ECW fans represented only a minority of the wrestling audience, and I don't think the fans that hadn't seen ECW, would care if the guys you mentioned reunited. Tazz could be used part time, and I like the pairing with him and RVD. However, I can't see RVD getting any heel heat. The Dudleys, even with the current heel turn, as just too stale. The only thing for me to get on this ECW idea is if they went and did the ECW promos they did when they were actually in ECW. BTW, have the Dudleys go back to the tied-dyed shirts, and reintroduce the Dudley clan (i.e Sign Guy Dudley). In closing this argument to you're proposed case, I do not want to see Kurt Angle as GM any longer. It was good in therory to have him as GM, so he can still be on TV without wrestling, but he has just basically sucked as GM (and this is coming from a guy who likes Angle). Anyways, I don't think you're proposed plan would play out well or rise the careers of anyone.

MVP
05-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Well to be fair, at the moment Jindrak is going no where with Teddy Long.They're not being used to their best capabilities.

Esoteric
05-27-2004, 12:13 AM
-On Raw --> Why not have Test and Val Venis become a heel tag team? Both men are fairly good wrestlers and have potential to garner moderate-to-good heel heat. At a time when Raw could use another tag team, I think these two could deliver.

-I had a dream last night (disturbingly enough, this is recurring! :o -) that X-Pac and DDP were training together in the gym (the theme "eye of the tiger" was playing in the background). Both men were looking to make comebacks to the WWE.....and were motivating each other by training together (the last dream I had, X-Pac and Viscera were training). But anyways - I wouldn't mind seeing these two be associated with one another on Smackdown (as faces) if they came back. They could work the tag team division, and help one another out in singles matches (Eye of the Tiger would be there theme ;)).
damn u have the strangest sex dreams hahahahah joking.... i think they should have teddy long be a commentator and tazz a wrestler again or better they could have teddy long bring a heel to challenge eddie, the one and only JUMPING JOEY MAGGS (or whatever his name is ) hey they gave JBL a title shot

Nowhere Man
05-27-2004, 12:22 AM
I don't want to see a bastardized version of ECW geting over in 2004. If this had been 2001,2002, or maybe even 2003, I wouldv'e agreed to the idea. ECW fans represented only a minority of the wrestling audience, and I don't think the fans that hadn't seen ECW, would care if the guys you mentioned reunited. Tazz could be used part time, and I like the pairing with him and RVD. However, I can't see RVD getting any heel heat. The Dudleys, even with the current heel turn, as just too stale. The only thing for me to get on this ECW idea is if they went and did the ECW promos they did when they were actually in ECW. BTW, have the Dudleys go back to the tied-dyed shirts, and reintroduce the Dudley clan (i.e Sign Guy Dudley). In closing this argument to you're proposed case, I do not want to see Kurt Angle as GM any longer. It was good in therory to have him as GM, so he can still be on TV without wrestling, but he has just basically sucked as GM (and this is coming from a guy who likes Angle). Anyways, I don't think you're proposed plan would play out well or rise the careers of anyone.

You must spread some reputation around yadda yadda yadda

The Man of Skill
05-27-2004, 01:45 AM
In all honesty, even with how big Taz was in the past, he wouldn't be taken seriously by the fans nowadays. He's been an announcer for too long.

Besides he's an absoutely GREAT commentator and having him leave the commentating position would be a shame.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-27-2004, 01:57 AM
In all honesty, even with how big Taz was in the past, he wouldn't be taken seriously by the fans nowadays. He's been an announcer for too long.

Besides he's an absoutely GREAT commentator and having him leave the commentating position would be a shame.

With the exception of the whole Jim Ross/ Jerry Lawler angle, Tazz didn't have a HORRIBLE run... He ended Angle's winning streak, and had a close match with The Rock...

Also, he was the man in the Alliance who stood up to Austin.

Furthermore, since he's been an announcer, know he's locked the Tazzmission on at least one person ( I think Cena)

If they were going to bring Tazz back, the best bet would be against someone like Cena... First, have Tazz get "fired" from being an announcer, after he interferes in a match ( saving Torrie, or maybe an injured Eddie.) Then one show, have someone spout off about how they've beaten everyone (maybe JBL), and have Tazz come out and just stomp him into the ground..

It won't happen, but if it did, the crowd would eat up Tazz.

Innovator
05-27-2004, 02:08 AM
One of my favorite Tazz moments was when he came out wearing the ECW title and punked out Triple H, then they went out an hour later and had a great match.

If an ECW stable is what everyone is after, there is one guy who still hasn't shown up in WWE...*points to the sky*

What Would Kevin Do?
05-27-2004, 02:10 AM
One of my favorite Tazz moments was when he came out wearing the ECW title and punked out Triple H, then they went out an hour later and had a great match.

If an ECW stable is what everyone is after, there is one guy who still hasn't shown up in WWE...*points to the sky*

Eh, I'd prefer Massato Tanaka or Steve Corino, or even Raven.

Wildcat789
05-27-2004, 11:34 PM
I don't think the fans would boo Tazz. I like this idea, I don't necessarily think its a bad one, but Tazz is extremely over as a face. Mainly because he's just a GREAT announcer and adds alot of excitement and flavor to the show.

I also don't think Tazz wants to get back into the ring. Jerry Lawler has had more matches then Tazz has had in the last three years. I totally agree with CyNick, why fix what isn't broken?

HeartBreakMan2k
05-27-2004, 11:51 PM
there is one guy who still hasn't shown up in WWE...*points to the sky*

Let's leave that one that way.

Innovator
05-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Eh, I'd prefer Massato Tanaka or Steve Corino, or even Raven.
Tanaka or Corino would be pretty sweet

Raven I'd take in a heartbeat, but WWE fucked him up already so I'd expect them to do it again.