PDA

View Full Version : Cena/Taker

Jordan
01-14-2018, 09:29 AM
You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to predict this match is going to happen at WM this year. Now a few years ago, Cena/Taker was projected to go at Mania and I think that year Cena went with Rusev and Taker with Bray. There was a lot of reason to have the bout that year, now that Taker has had two supposed retirements he seems to return yet again for another run at the show of shows.

Cena/Taker is the match if Taker has to have a match. My question is twofold, one how do you feel about it? Would you prefer, or can you suggest a better story for either, and also who do you think should win?

For me I'm kind of nonchalant about the direction of WWE right now, I don't watch the weekly shows just the Network exclusives, so I really don't care. But I am a lifelong WWE fan and lifelong Taker fan, so it is a matter of importance to me. He's legend will never be diminished but it also will never be the legend it could have been had they held the streak in tact to this point. I do wish WWE never put themselves in the position where Lesnar taking the streak made sense. But they did, so we are here.

Cena/Taker is a match I've wanted to see, it makes sense, especially if they can build some kind of shoot style tension in the build.

But who should win? Obviously the guy who is staying in the territory, but wouldn't also be pretty cool if Taker ducked out on a huge huge win? I think so. I don't see the John Wayne of WWE going out without a loss but I do think it could add some magic to his legend as the years pass by. Also this program could easily be the launching pad for the long desired Cena heel run we've all wanted for 10 years.

mike adamle
01-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Very excited to be there in person for this one if it happens. Match is going to be great

#1-norm-fan
01-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Should have happened when the streak was in tact. Now? It'll be kinda cool to see but the moment's passed. Not to mention, it makes the end of last year's WrestleMania hilariously meaningless.

If it does happen Cena definitely should win. Given the need for Cena to job to everyone though, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't.

wwe2222
01-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Having UT lose 3 of his last 5 Mania matches after being undefeated so long is kind of lame. He should’ve stopped after 1 loss.

mike adamle
01-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Not to mention, it makes the end of last year's WrestleMania hilariously meaningless.

Not true. At Mania 32 he left his gloves in the ring. Last year it was his hat, gloves, and jacket. This year he's gonna strip naked and leave his entire costume in the ring, Undertaker thong included. Then he's gonna ride off into the sunset in the nude to a thunderous "Thank you Taker" chant.

Stickman
01-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Taker at WM doesnt mean anything any more after two losess and how he walked out last year. If they want to do this match do it at a different event because as said, 3 lost matches after the streak defeats the mystic of the 22 wins.

Shisen Kopf
01-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Biker Taker has never lost at Rasslemania

Shisen Kopf
01-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Wonder who Biker Taker could rassle? Hmmm

Droford
01-14-2018, 12:40 PM
They need to figure a storyline so Taker is the Champ and doesn't want Cena to beat him for it at WM to break the record. Best I can come up with is Cena wins the Rumble and Taker wins the belt at Elimination Chamber. But problem is I don't think Brock will wrestle at EC the match would be #1 contender. And Cena challenge AJ to have Taker bear AJ at Fast lane would piss people off

Maluco
01-14-2018, 01:24 PM
I can't help it, I haven't cared about an Undertaker Mania match since the streak was gone. He looks haggard and old and with no real build and no streak, the match loses any meaning.

This match would have been amazing 7-8 years ago. Couldn't care less now.

Harsh, but that's how I feel

A.J.K
01-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Wonder who Biker Taker could rassle? Hmmm

Thug Cena or Surfer Cena?

Ruien
01-14-2018, 02:28 PM
No one wants to see Taker anymore. His matches are not even matches anymore. Literally have to turn away because he looks like he may die in the ring.

Savio
01-14-2018, 02:43 PM
I hope Taker says "no"

Ruien
01-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Cena is one of the few last real attractions. Don't ruin that by placing him amazing Taker.

Mr. Nerfect
01-14-2018, 04:31 PM
I'm not particularly moved by it. It's obviously a huge match, in the most rudimentary sense. There doesn't really seem to be a "story" here anymore. But we'll see what they tell. I'm also not holding high hopes for the match, which probably works in my favor, since I'm sure Cena is going to bust ass, and Taker has something he needs to bounce back from.

#1-norm-fan
01-14-2018, 04:38 PM
The story of Taker "passing the torch" so to speak to the new locker room leader of the next generation would have been great a few years ago given the backstory of Taker being the first man to congratulate the "new kid" Cena after his first match in the company.

Now Taker's had his "retirement" moment already and Cena's becoming a part-timer who's kinda moved on to bigger and better things. So that moment is long gone. Really, there's not much of a story to be told here anymore.

But again... as someone who has been content to sit back and watch the world burn basically, HILARIOUS if WWE renders the end of last year's WrestleMania meaningless. It would just be the most WWE thing they could do.

Emperor Smeat
01-14-2018, 06:50 PM
Should have done it a lot earlier while the streak was alive or instead of Bray-Taker since that match did more to hurt than help Bray's image. Now its just going to undo the narrative from last year's match all because the WWE is too stubborn to move on and let any young/new star truly benefit from a Taker Mania feud.

Even having him break Taker's streak probably would have been handled a lot better than Lesnar who gave the streak killing rub right back to Taker.

Mr. Nerfect
01-15-2018, 05:14 PM
What's the finish? Cena beating Taker does nothing for Cena, really. Taker coming back to win? Eh, I feel like even the most hardcore Taker fans/casual of the casuals must be thinking "Oh, come on" by this point.

Sixx
01-16-2018, 03:45 AM
Oh, Taker, fuck off already. Feel like this guy's gonna be still wrestling when I'm a pensioner.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2018, 02:35 PM
What's the finish? Cena beating Taker does nothing for Cena, really. Taker coming back to win? Eh, I feel like even the most hardcore Taker fans/casual of the casuals must be thinking "Oh, come on" by this point.

Yeah but when Cena beats Taker they can have another dramatic Taker "retirement" moment. (THIS TIME IT'S FOR REAL, WE SWEAR.)

Evil Vito
01-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Until Taker returns in 2019 to wrestle Triple H, because he can't retire on anything less than a match against the most important wrestler in history.

Anybody Thrilla
01-16-2018, 02:48 PM
I would really love if this match didn't happen. Cena can be used in a better way, and Taker is just...used up, if you will. Thanks for the memories, Taker. Please go away now.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-16-2018, 03:03 PM
No streak and Taker can barely walk. No thanks.

I would have been much happier of Taker retired after Brock instead of a meaningless match with Bray then Roman and now Cena.

Sixx
01-16-2018, 03:04 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JS1pDBmQvSY/maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously, he looks older than my dad and my dad is 66 this year.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2018, 03:08 PM
I just can't imagine how WWE can be dumb enough to end WrestleMania the way they did last year and then just bring Taker back to wrestle this year.

I know I've been proven wrong before when I've said "They can't be THAT dumb...". But if they do this... Unreal.

Destor
01-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Why are people thinking he's going to wrestle? I must have missed someting

Evil Vito
01-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Cena/Taker at WM34 is being reported by the Meltzer sheep,,,,,,,,

Destor
01-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Oh. Believe it when I see it.

Theo Dious
01-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Really not the least bit interested in this. Can't see how there could be any heat at all.

XL
01-16-2018, 05:39 PM
I did Taker/Cena on WWE2K18 this morning and it was an epic match. 5 stars.

I appreciate this adds nothing to the conversation.

Anybody Thrilla
01-16-2018, 05:53 PM
They give matches star ratings on the game?

Sixx
01-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Wrestling Observer the Game

XL
01-16-2018, 06:08 PM

Yeah.

Mr. Nerfect
01-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Really not the least bit interested in this. Can't see how there could be any heat at all.

The WWE don't try and get heat anymore, lol.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-17-2018, 03:14 AM

Yeah.

Really, it's just based on how the player did rather than match quality. Fire Pro rates match quality.

Rammsteinmad
01-17-2018, 04:15 AM
The only match with Cena that would really interest me would be a kind of "End of An Era" type match with Cena, Orton, Lesnar and Batista.

Mr. Nerfect
01-17-2018, 05:52 AM
The only match with Cena that would really interest me would be a kind of "End of An Era" type match with Cena, Orton, Lesnar and Batista.

I actually have this on my shortlist of matches I want to tune in for. I'd love for this to happen at SummerSlam or something.

Shisen Kopf
01-17-2018, 07:12 AM
If Taker must have a match at WM, why not get Terry Funk? Just think what a technical, high flying classic that would be

Juan
01-17-2018, 08:12 AM
If anyone can get one more decent match out of Taker, I think Cena is the guy. Execution is the key factor tho.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like Taker might try to make some kind of retirement speech on Raw 25, only for Cena to come out and request one more match.

Ruien
01-17-2018, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't even watch Cena and Taker on Raw, let alone Mania. This match can't be happening.

XL
01-17-2018, 03:29 PM
If anyone can get one more decent match out of Taker, I think Cena is the guy. Execution is the key factor tho.

From what I’ve read, it sounds like Taker might try to make some kind of retirement speech on Raw 25, only for Cena to come out and request one more match.

And then Cena attempts to win the Rumble less than a week later in an attempt to compete for one of the top belts at Mania?

TSI
01-17-2018, 04:18 PM
Watching Taker wrestle at this point is like watching Ric Flair or Terry Funk in the Ring. Its just hoping they dont die in the ring. Ill take a hard pass on this match

Mr. Nerfect
01-17-2018, 05:08 PM
If Taker must have a match at WM, why not get Terry Funk? Just think what a technical, high flying classic that would be

Cornette booked that for his hypothetical WrestleMania X-8 match. It was for the Intercontinental Title. I should know. I was there.

#1-norm-fan
01-17-2018, 08:02 PM
lol I watched that Cornette Guest Booker. The build to that match was ridiculous. Included Funk burning Taker's ass with a branding iron I think.

Mr. Nerfect
01-18-2018, 01:09 AM
I think I vaguely remember that. I didn't like how his cynicism about the product crept into his booking. He basically had them admit it was all a work, except for Benoit and Regal. :lol: Hearing him lay out the promos for Vince, Flair and Bischoff was amazing though.

Evil Vito
01-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Man I remember that. The first night promo just sounded amazeballs with all of the big WCW names coming through the crowd.

But by the end of it the final card looked like such a disjointed mess that still somehow was better than what we actually got.

Juan
01-18-2018, 09:15 AM
And then Cena attempts to win the Rumble less than a week later in an attempt to compete for one of the top belts at Mania?

I could see them planting a seed on Raw 25. Everyone knows Cena isn’t winning the RR.

Not that I’m for it, but it wouldn’t surprise me

slik
01-18-2018, 09:21 AM
I think the easiest route would be Taker coming out to speak and getting interrupted by Big Match John in full dopey mode talking about Taker being so great and how he's sad they never crossed paths and he just wanted to wish Taker well in retirement...leading to Taker chokeslamming Cena and the feud being based on Cena trying to steal Taker's glory and Undertaker finding redemption before he retires in the city the streak ended.

Jordan
01-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Didn't Cena eliminate Taker from the Rumble a few years back? I wonder if they have an altercation at Raw, then Taker shows up and Eliminates Cena during the Rumble to set up the final bout.

Evil Vito
01-18-2018, 10:00 AM
I could see them planting a seed on Raw 25. Everyone knows Cena isn’t winning the RR.

Actually, Cena seemed like as logical choice as any to win the Rumble since his record breaking title win seems like something that should definitely happen at a Mania.

Teasing Cena/Taker next week just eliminates a really feasible Rumble winner, which kinda takes away some of the suspension of disbelief watching the match.

slik
01-18-2018, 10:05 AM
I still think Nakamura might win the Rumble

Jordan
01-18-2018, 10:11 AM
I do too. WWE goes with "weaker" choices when they have big main events lined up. Naka would be perfect at WM vs AJ Styles.

XL
01-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Actually, Cena seemed like as logical choice as any to win the Rumble since his record breaking title win seems like something that should definitely happen at a Mania.

Teasing Cena/Taker next week just eliminates a really feasible Rumble winner, which kinda takes away some of the suspension of disbelief watching the match.

What Vito said.

Even if “everyone knows he’s not winning” you don’t make it a certainty the week before.

I suppose there’s a lot they could do to spin things around. Tease Taker/Cena to put people off the scent of a Cena Rumble win only to have him win. Have Taker win the title to do Taker’s Last Stand vs Cena’s Record attempt.

Not the way I’d do it to have 2 part-timers holding down the WWE Championship match at Mania, but in theory the guy who takes the belt of Cena could be made legit, and with Brock dethroned on Raw you could get away with a part-time champ on SDL.

Mr. Nerfect
01-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Man I remember that. The first night promo just sounded amazeballs with all of the big WCW names coming through the crowd.

But by the end of it the final card looked like such a disjointed mess that still somehow was better than what we actually got.

Yeah, he basically took the top faces then put them against the top heels, and it didn't feel exactly "right," but given the available options, it made sense.

Mr. Nerfect
01-18-2018, 05:01 PM
I do too. WWE goes with "weaker" choices when they have big main events lined up. Naka would be perfect at WM vs AJ Styles.

Reasons why they might do it:

* The match would be awesome. MOTY candidate and a good showing at WrestleMania.

* Gets some of that investment back on the big Japanese star you signed. Could make a splash in international markets. Although I don't think Nakamura signing made much difference, I don't think it would stop WWE from trying.

* AJ wants the match?

* The smarks want the match, and that smark audience is going to be in full-swing at Mania. Catering to them might be wiser than depriving them.

Reasons they might not do it:

* AJ Styles is a good promo, but is he a guy they really want to carry the talking heading into a WrestleMania program?

* Babyface match. Not an ideal way to crown Nakamura, should you want him to be a top babyface on SmackDown. Right, wrong or otherwise, crowd negativity to a title change could be anticipated.

* "New Japan! New Japan! New Japan!" May not be a chant Vince wants to hear in his WWE Title match.

* Nakamura's first WrestleMania. I'm sure he's respected, but it could be seen as "jumping the line" a bit. Vince likes to test guys.

* Although he's beaten John Cena and Randy Orton, he's also lost to Jinder Mahal, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Finn Balor and Sasha Banks. "Randomly" giving him the Rumble might not be the hot direction people think.

* Why give the people what they want?

#1-norm-fan
01-18-2018, 10:26 PM
If Jinder Mahal were to win the rumble, what would everyone's exact reaction be?

#1-norm-fan
01-18-2018, 10:27 PM
Would actually be funny if it comes down to him and Reigns just for the crowd reaction.

Mr. Nerfect
01-18-2018, 10:51 PM
I would shit on my TV. I don't know what that accomplishes, but that's my first instinct for whatever reason.

Mr. Nerfect
01-18-2018, 10:52 PM
If Reigns is winning, I have a feeling it comes down to him and Rusev. Just as a callback to the 2015 Rumble, and with Rusev being as popular as he is right now. Something about it just seems like something Vince would enjoy the crap out of.

Sixx
01-18-2018, 10:53 PM
Rusev is popular now?

I didn't even know he was still in WWE.

Mr. Nerfect
01-18-2018, 11:13 PM
Rusev is popular now?

I didn't even know he was still in WWE.

He's not being pushed, but he's probably one of the most organically over guys they have.