PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Some Thoughts on HHH, Y2J, Cena, Guerrero, Taker, Maven, Lesnar, etc.

Heyman
05-29-2004, 03:51 PM
DISCUSSION - Some Thoughts on HHH, Y2J, Cena, Guerrero, Taker, Maven, Lesnar, etc.

First things first:

-I don't mind if Triple H has a long world title run (starting at Summerslam), if he DROPS the World title to Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania 21. Seriously.....Jericho, despite being stuck in mid-card HELL on Raw, is the top face. Jericho can easily get his popularity back from 2000 (if he hasn't already). If Triple H gets the title back from Benoit, and then proceeds to have a lengthy title reign (getting victories over Edge, Benjamin, etc. along the way), it doesn't matter to me.......as long as Chris Jericho 'goes over' at Wrestlemania....in what would be a Wrestlemania re-match between the two. AFter Wrestlemania, Chris Jericho could then plants the seeds for his main-event feud with Randy Orton (which could take place at Summerslam of NEXT year).

Now some Thoughts on Smackdown:

-What's with John Cena's whole "I'm a white Will Smith" gimmick? Did anyone else besides me think that he looked like a GIGANTIC tool on Smackdown the other night? John Cena should act more serious. If he continues the way he's been going, I think the fans will get bored of him....and worse, may start to 'boo' him. Cena needs to go back to being the mean and serious face.....that kicks mean rhymes. No more "White boy Will Smith" bullsh</>it.

-One guy who should be LESS serious however, is Eddie Guerrero. A huge part of what made Eddie Guerrero popular, was his whole "lie, cheat, and STEAL" gimmick. The fans love Eddie Guerrero when he is more 'laid back' and 'fun-loving'. I hope the WWE doesn't continue this whole "let's feel sorry for Eddie" type thing. I mean - the fans will still CHEER Guerrero, but they'd cheer MUCH louder for Eddie if he went back to his old ways.

One thing I'd like to see? Have Eddie Guerrero 'make-up' with Chavo Guerrero and Chavo Classic. Have them become a popular face faction. Perhaps even adding a guy like Konnan or Rey Mysterio would be ideal. A 4 man Latino stable........What a great way to tap into the Latino market! Also - I think Eddie's "fun-loving" personality would shine again if he was re-aligned with Chavo, etc. Chavo, as CW champ, would also be more over due to association with Eddie.

In fact - why not have Rey Mysterio be the CW champ, the two Chavo's be the tag champs, and Eddie be World Champ?

Perhaps this "Los Guerrero's" stable could be like the present day Hart Foundation?

-I'd like to see Smackdown utilize Undertaker and Mordecai a little bit more. I think the inevitable Taker/Mordecai feud will be the 'main drawing card' of Smackdown in the not-so-distant future.

Speaking of 'futures', does anyone else like the idea of there being a "new" Undertaker once Mark Callaway calls it quits? Maybe a guy like Matt Morgan can become the 'new' Undertaker. I have my likes and dislikes about this idea. I like it because it allows for the WWE to keep an AWESOME gimmick immortal. Perhaps the whole "Undertaker" thing can be like a 'lineage' of sorts (kind of like the movie "Zorro" where we saw a new 'Zorro" emerge when the original one got too old). Having this idea also allows for a DESERVING big man to 'get over' right away.

Disadvantage - The fans may not like it. We saw how well 'fake Diesel' went over.

-I still contend that Smackdown could use Scott Steiner. He's well-known, and he can put over some up-and-comers. Smackdown needs veterans right now! What about a guy like Goldust? Goldust can put over some new talent if he got re-hired. How about a feud with former tag partner Booker T?

-I was thinking about Maven. Notice how he got ZERO crowd reaction when he entered the Battle Royale? I was thinking about the following: Have him move to Smackdown, and push him in a similar way to "Rocky Maivia". I was thinking that Smackdown could shove Maven down the throats of the fans (without trying to IMPLY that the fans should boo him), until the fans boo the CRAP out of him! (much to the "dismay" of Cole, Tazz, etc.). At THIS point, Maven (much like Rocky Maivia) can start openly acting heelish.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Maven would play a good "Rocky Maivia" type face.....er heel. :shifty: I can see it now.....with the "Maven sucks!" and "Die Maven Die" chants. ;)

Now that "Matt" from Tough Enough III is about to debut, I am also hoping that Jonah gets signed as well. That is who I picked to win Tough Enough III. Jonah wasn't the best wrestler there, but he had "the look" and the charisma. He also had the size. Hopefully - the WWE signs (signed?) him.

And lastly - I still have hopes the Brock Lesnar comes back to the WWE. If he does come back, I'd push him as a face (hopefully by this time, a guy like Cena or RVD will have turned heel). I'd push Lesnar as a face for a few reasons.

1) Lesnar wouldn't have to JOB clean. Lesnar's whole gimmick is about being 'dominating'. It looks bad for his gimmick when he loses cleanly (if that makes sense). Heels not named Triple H, usually have to lose cleanly. As a face, Lesnar can lose by outside interference, getting screwed, etc. I'd have him basically be the "Steve Austin of 2004, etc."

2) I'm assuming that Lesnar would get a huge pop upon returning (I could be wrong however.......perhaps the fans will not like him for 'selling out' to the NFL). If he receives a huge pop however, the WWE could really capitalize on that.

Loose Cannon
05-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Okay, first on Jericho/HHH. I wouldn't mind seeing Trips and Jericho at Mania 21 with Jericho taking the title from Trips, but I think it should be Orton going over HHH at Mania 21 with HHH as the babyface. This wouldn't be for the title though. Evolution is bound to start the split very soon. Did you see on Raw HHH yelling at the members? Now as for the World Title picture, it's too early to tell who should get the title from Trips after he wins it back. You don't know who's coming back or who's coming over from Smackdown. Jericho, Michaels and Benoit are the top three right now.

John Cena: Yeah, Cena fk'n blows and gives me a fricken headache everytime he gets on the mic now. Like I said before, he's like an MTV VJ now and he's getting stale quick. I don't think he'll go back to bad ass "Thuganomics" Cena, but the fans love the guy, so it's working for now.

Los Guerreros Stable: You know, I love this idea except for the fact that they are babyfaces and Eddie is in it. The best formula in wrestling is to have the babyface champion go up against a heel stable. I would do a Los Guerreros Stable without Eddie though as they would be against him or not even fighting with him. You have the two Chavo's, Konnan, and I guess Rey. Maybe down the line when Eddie starts to become tiresome as a babyface, you turn him heel and put him in the stable, but I wouldn't have them face.

Now, remember that there could also be an ECW stable forming with RVD going up against Eddie for the belt as the leader of that stable. Now, if this happens, then you could do the babyface "Los Guerreros" stable as it would be sort of a DX/Corporation feud. That would work.

The CyNick
05-29-2004, 05:34 PM
The Jericho thing has been well documented here. Jericho will NEVER get a main event push as the top babyafce, Hunter just wont allow it. It sucks because Jericho is more talented than HHH, but thats just the way it is. I can Jericho getting a title shot when HHH wins the title, but he wont be a top guy. And the thought of him heaqdlining Mania again, is so funny it hurts. Only way I see him getting to the top is if they move him over to Smackdown.

John Cena is in a togh spot. He's possibly the most over face in the company (maybe 2nd to Eddie), but his gimmick has been hurt by the fact that the US TV industry is really messed up right now. Everyone is worried about being hit with fines from the FCC, so as a result Cena's promos have suffered. At the same time, he's still over, so the thinking is probably if it aint broke dont fix it.

I'm going to assume you haven't watched very much of Smackdown over the past few months, but if you had you'd know that Eddie is still the same old Eddie. However he cant be all about comedy, because as Ive tried to tell you kids a thousand time sCOMEDY DOESNT DRAW. If Eddie is going to be WWE Champion, he has to be involved in serious angles (like the one with Bradshaw). But rest assurd he still does lie cheat and steal.

As far as the Gurrero faction idea goes, I like it, but not right now. I think the people love to hate Chavo, and it would be hard for them to turn him face. Plus with Chavo Classic as a regular worker, well I dont think thats a good idea. Its okay for now, and maybe a match between the Chavos, but I dont think Chavo is good enough to wrestle on a regular basis.

Its obvious Taker-Mordecai will happen at some point (likely Summerslam), but I woudln't go so far as to say it will be the top drawing program for SD. It remains unclear how the fans will accept Mordecai as a top guy. I guess we'll see. As far as a "new" Undertaker, that is the worst idea Ive ever heard. I know you remember Fake Diesel, so why would Fake Undertaker work any better? Kane, for example was booked to be the "new" Undertaker, but they didn't do soemthing stupid like call him Undertaker JR, they gave him a different gimmick with similar traits to Taker.

I think there is a possibility that Scott Steiner could come in to Smackdown, lay acouple of beatings and then work a program with Eddie or Cena for one of their titles. The problem is that Steiner really really...really sucks at this point. So it would have to be a quick feud, bring him in, ahve him kill a few jobbers, and then put over Cena, Eddie or whoever. As a long term character he wont work, as we've seen on RAW.

I think the WWE likes Maven, but I dont think the fans care too much about him either way. Its possible fans will take to him as a mid level heel or face. But I dont think SD needs more guys that the fans dont care about. In other words I'd rather see Jericho or HBK come over to SD, and then give Maven a bigger push on RAW to see what happens.

Obviously if the WWE could get Lesnar back, that would be great, but I cant see it happening for at least another year. He's not going to come back while football is going on, in case he gets a job there. And who knows how serious he is about makiing it. I mean maybe he fails in some try outs, but then decides to come back the next year after a year worth of practise. I think there is an outside chance he'll be back for Mania in LA, but i think the safer bet would be that he'll be back in the Fall of 05. The more time he's gone, the bigger face pop he'll when he gets back.

CBright7831
05-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Heyman, I have an off topic question, do you hate me?

Heyman
05-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Heyman, I have an off topic question, do you hate me?

No.

MVP
05-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Heyman those are some hott ideas.

They're so rational that Vince will ignore them and push all the hosses as usual.

El Santo
05-30-2004, 12:29 AM
I don't know if Maven can be the next Rocky. The thing abut Dwayne Johnson is his natural charisma, which Maven doesn't have. This is no knock on Maven; I think the only wrestler who comes close to Rocky's charisma is Chris Jericho.

If they want to get Maven over, they need to put him in a stable. By the way, I liked the Guerrero family idea, but I agree it's a bit too early. On a show that lacks heels, Chavo and Chavo Classic are two who fans genuinely love to hate.

As for Cena, he's doing fine. I don't think it's the FCC so much as the WWE generally waters down their faces. When I saw Cena's match on Smackdown the other night, I saw shades of what a few people on this board had been alluding for a while: Cena could becoming the next Steve Austin anti-authority guy.

And as silly as the "next Undertaker" idea might be, it has a bit of merit. It would have me glued to the TV, at least, to see if the idea succeeds or bombs.

Shaggy
05-30-2004, 01:39 AM
I am a huge fan of Maven and I hope that soon WWE finds what to do with him. I think they were going good with the whole Push they had of him going against Evolution. That was working out for him but before he could really get noticed he got injured. There are tons of rumors going around that eventually Evolution will break up and Randy Orton will go out to form his own group of young bloods. Perhaps Maven could join them and become a great heel. He has mentioned in interviews on his web site that he would love to become a heel. He thinks that is much easier than being a face.

DISCUSSION - Now that "Matt" from Tough Enough III is about to debut, I am also hoping that [b]Jonah gets signed as well. That is who I picked to win Tough Enough III. Jonah wasn't the best wrestler there, but he had "the look" and the charisma. He also had the size. Hopefully - the WWE signs (signed?) him.

I dont know if anyone ever noticed it but one time when the camera was backstage recording two people fighting or something. Off sitting in a chair was Jonah, I didnt believe it at first but I kept on rewinding it and watching it and sure enough it was him. I think that he is under contract with them right now but working like on OVW. Just training before he makes it to the big stage. It would be great to see him in the ring. He was one of the people that actually deserved to win. Him and maybe Hawk.

Mayo
05-30-2004, 03:43 AM
I totally agree that Jericho is becoming very popular the last few weeks since they finally decided to give him somewhat of a push. His promos always make me laugh, and his in ring ability is par with many of the better wrestlers on Raw right now. He can make the transition between face and heel so well on the same night, which is what makes him so entertaining. I hope that his neverending feud with Christian/Trish/Tomko finally ends soon so he can get out of midcard hell. A feud with someone like Kane, or Benoit (the whole face vs. face respect type feud) would really get the fans behind him.

Cena has become way too watered down. I imagine that I would enjoy reacting to his crowd-pleasing promos, but to someone watching on tv every week it just gets really annoying. He needs to start being more badass like he was before (even with the FCC keeping an eye on him), or he needs to turn heel before he becomes a megastar which would be really hard to boo.

I don't think that Eddie needs a stable right now because I find his singles work very entertaining right now, and he always has the crowd behind him anyways. It would be good for the other wrestlers like Chavo Jr. and Classic if they were in a stable with Eddie, since they could also get higher status by associating with him. I don't think it would work too well at this point. A Latino-type faction would work well with someone replacing Eddie, such as Konnan since he has been rumoured to come to the WWE.

I definitely disagree with the fake Undertaker gimmick as well. Mark Calloway plays the deadman very well. He just has an eerie look to him, and he can do the cool thing where he rolls his eyes up. I don't think that anyone would be able to replace the Taker since the character was molded by Calloway himself, and he modified it into the present day and it still works rather well.

I want the Genetic Freak off my tv. Next.

Maven got huge pops when he first came into the Royal Rumble and eliminated the Undertaker and he rode off that for a while as the 'new kid' who had balls. Now that he came back, he doesn't really have any sort of gimmick and he lacks identity. He should become a heel very soon, maybe in a tag team with a more established midcard wrestler who would get Maven more credibility.

I miss Brock on Smackdown! lately. When I watch some of his old matches, I really enjoy his amateur wrestling ability, and the guy is also a freakin monster. I hope he will return sometime down the future if his NFL career doesn't work out. On a similar note, I sure hope Kurt Angle's health improves so that he can wrestle. He's hilarious as the GM, but I am aching for an Angle/Guerrero return match
:drool:

Favre4Ever
05-31-2004, 02:43 PM
By the time Brock had left, his mic skills had improved, his wrestling abilities had improved, and his selling abilities were going through the roof. Hell, i didnt think it would be possible to even be able to stand seeing Hardcore Holly in a Title Match with him, but Brock pulled off the "Break his NECK!" gimmick off decently and carried Holly the whole way through.
But i don't know if bringing Brock back as a face would be the hottest idea. He had generated MAJOR heat at Wrestlemania, and it wasnt just "YOU SUCK!" heat. It was " We don't even wanna see your ass wrestle" heat.

Favre4Ever
05-31-2004, 02:46 PM
By the time Brock had left, his mic skills had improved, his wrestling abilities had improved, and his selling abilities were going through the roof. Hell, i didnt think it would be possible to even be able to stand seeing Hardcore Holly in a Title Match with him, but Brock pulled off the "Break his NECK!" gimmick decently and carried Holly the whole way through.

But i don't know if bringing Brock back as a face would be the hottest idea. He had generated MAJOR heat at Wrestlemania, and it wasnt just "YOU SUCK!" heat. It was " We don't even wanna see your ass wrestle" heat.

I guess this idea depends on how his whole football career goes. What i would really like to see is him coming back saying that he was still the "greatest champion the WWE's ever had", and then going into a prolonged feud with Eddie over the Title in which Eddie would constantly dupe him and cheat his way out of every match. Then everyone would laugh at Lesnar, and oh God i love laughing at the guy.

Hardkore Kidd J
05-31-2004, 02:55 PM
As for the triple H y2j thing I fully agree. And with the Cena thing I think he was better as a heel. Just whatever you do don't I repeat do not bring him back to the CENA before the rap gimmick. That Cena was mad boring. I liked the CENA insults when he was a heel. WHen he would come out diss the arena/ town he was in and then rip on some face like Eddie or Beniot. John Cena's rap skills seemed to be better cause he didn't give a rat's ass what he said or what people thought about him. I like him Heel/ Face cause I like rap and all that. I also happen to believe that maybe he should save his rap skills for like special occasions. You know have a promo and then like before like a ppv or something he cuts a rap so his raps are kinda better. People will get worn out of seeing him rap each Smackdown so have him do like an actual promo he's good on the mic so we don't have to worry about that. I'm just saying just because he has a rap gimmick does that have to mean he has to rap each Smackdown. Save his raps for more special occasions and he'll be great. :y: :yes:

The CyNick
05-31-2004, 03:03 PM
By the time Brock had left, his mic skills had improved, his wrestling abilities had improved, and his selling abilities were going through the roof. Hell, i didnt think it would be possible to even be able to stand seeing Hardcore Holly in a Title Match with him, but Brock pulled off the "Break his NECK!" gimmick decently and carried Holly the whole way through.

I guess this idea depends on how his whole football career goes. What i would really like to see is him coming back saying that he was still the "greatest champion the WWE's ever had", and then going into a prolonged feud with Eddie over the Title in which Eddie would constantly dupe him and cheat his way out of every match. Then everyone would laugh at Lesnar, and oh God i love laughing at the guy.

I was at Mania, the heat Brock got was because he was leaving, plain and simple. It had nothing to do with people hating him, it was a typical wrestling reaction to a guy moving on to something else.

Its just like in ECW, guys used to get the "You Sold Out" Chants at the ECW Arena when they were leaving, but then if they came back, they got a massive "welcome Back" chant.

Same would happen with Brock. If his music hit, the people would go crazy. He might eventually get booed, because he makes a better heel, but he'd still be over.

LK
06-01-2004, 09:08 AM
For your poinnt about Eddie the current feud that he is in means that he has to act serious and angry. He hates Bradshaw and so he can't be a comedian all the time.

And I agree with the CyNick. If Brocks music were to hit the people would go crazy and would definetly be pleased to have him back.

c4g2
06-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Smackdown needs some main-eventers, for sure... and Lesnar would sure fit the bill.