PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Is it possible that Smackdown will become ECW in the FUTURE?

Heyman
06-07-2004, 09:25 PM
<font color=white>

DISCUSSION - Is it possible that Smackdown will become ECW in the FUTURE?

Here are some Facts:

-Smackdown is already perceived to be the "B show" by WWE Management.

-Characters such as RVD, Dudleys, Tazz, Spike, and Paul Heyman are on Smackdown.

Do you think it's possible (or even a good idea) that Smackdown becomes re-named ECW in the future? (and gets promoted as "ECW").

Get Rhyno, Taijiri, Tommy Dreamer, Hurricane, etc. on Smackdown, and you'd have some of the old "ECW" talent (I realize that Hurricane was never a part of ECW, but he could add to their CW division).. Then - also send Christian over there to become a main-eventer.

Meanwhile - Raw (i.e. the WWE) gets Undertaker (since Taker has always been pegged as "The Conscience" of the WWE, he can come back). I'd also consider bringing John Cena to Raw, but that would probably be too much of a setback for SD/ECW.

As far as Smackdown (ECW) is concerned, Vince McMahon can just let Paul Heyman run things. With Paul Heyman completely controlling "ECW", perhaps this would encourage some former ECW talent (i.e. Raven, Credible, Awesome, etc.) to be re-signed.

With "ECW" - House Shows in the North Eastern United States would be quite high. Since the Guerrero's and Rey Mysterio would still be on SD/ECW, the Latino Market would still be a target.

I don't know when something like this should take place, but I'm thinking in about a year or so from now.

Basically on Smackdown/ECW - a fan could expect to see the following (with Paul Heyman completely running things).

-A strong CW division

-That "hardcore" style which became quite popular.

-New stars being created.

Paul Heyman, when he had a small budget, almost performed a MIRACLE with ECW. If he was backed up by Vince McMahon (i.e. if Smackdown became ECW and Heyman could run it), imagine what Heyman might be able to do with it.

The Show Off
06-07-2004, 09:31 PM
It's a pretty well thought out idea, but Extreme Championship Wrestling is dead, and it will never come back... Even if this were to come into fruition it still wouldn't be the same... ECW was the anti-establishment wrestling fedaration, if it were back by the WWE it would just be a sell out version of the old ECW. The only way the old ECW style will ever come back is if Heyman finds an investor to help him start up a new fed against the WWE, if ECW is a sister company to WWE it'll just be crap.

Favre4Ever
06-07-2004, 09:52 PM
No.

CheesyChaz
06-07-2004, 10:04 PM
I think smackdowns become more WCW than ECW

MVP
06-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I think <s>smackdowns</s> RAW has become more WCW than ECW

Vega
06-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Good idea, but ECW was good because of all the crazy shit they did. That wouldn't be able to be on Smackdown, on gay UPN.

MVP
06-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Good idea, but ECW was good because of all the crazy shit they did. That wouldn't be able to be on Smackdown, on gay UPN.Which is funny because UPN's primetime line-ups are Smackdown and a bunch of black comedies.

BasicThuganomics
06-08-2004, 12:36 AM
http://www.tpww.net/headlines/1086632431.html

No Smackdown won't become ECW in the future so shut the fuck up!

The CyNick
06-08-2004, 01:13 AM
They could possibly do an angle where Heyman starts turning Smackdown into ECW. he starts with the stable of ECW guys (Dudleys, RVD, etc), and then say if RVD were to win the WWE Title, he could do something like throw it down and they could bring back the old ECW title and use that. But then have guys like Eddie, Rey and Cena fighting to get back control of the company and regain the WWE Title.

But I dont think calling Smackdown ECW and trading guys like Cena and Taker for Rhyno and Dreamer is really a good idea. I mean people say SD shows are weak as it is, if you take out Taker and Cena they'd have no depth whatsoever, it would literally be Eddie on his own.

The other thing about an ECW brand is that ECW died, their fanbase just isnt that big. Yeah people look favourable at ECW, but the reality is they didn't do enough business to survive, so why bring it back up? The brand is only really stron in parts of the Northeast and maybe Chicago, but outside those places it would likely die a quick death/

ECW as an nWo type angle is one thing, but to actually change the brand to "ECW" I think would be death.

c4g2
06-08-2004, 02:42 AM
An struggle for power in Smackdown between the ECW people and the WWE people would be sweet. :y:

big_bluto
06-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Some good ideas in there, but as usual I've got some disagreements with some points......

<font color=white>

Here are some Facts:

-Smackdown is already perceived to be the "B show" by WWE Management.
This is something they are trying to get away from, though. WWE is trying to produce 2 different styles of show, and currently Smackdown is weaker than RAW, but it wasn't that long ago that it was the other way around.
Smackdown isn't perceived as the B Show - just weaker.
-Characters such as RVD, Dudleys, Tazz, Spike, and Paul Heyman are on Smackdown.

Do you think it's possible (or even a good idea) that Smackdown becomes re-named ECW in the future? (and gets promoted as "ECW").

Get Rhyno, Taijiri, Tommy Dreamer, Hurricane, etc. on Smackdown, and you'd have some of the old "ECW" talent (I realize that Hurricane was never a part of ECW, but he could add to their CW division).. Then - also send Christian over there to become a main-eventer.
Catastrophic idea. Reasons:
1. ECW went bust for a reason
2. If Smackdown became ECW it would have to be heavily edited prior to being broadcast unless it got a different timeslot. In the UK it's broadcast at 10AM on a Saturday! You would end up with 2 hours of audience shots and a couple of intros.
3. I think that Smackdown needs rebranded soon, but I don't think ECW is the way to go. A Stable - YES :y: , A whole show - SADLY, :nono: No.
4. Tommy Dreamer is retiring from active ring work, Lance Storm is moving to OVW, Rhyno can't take the bumps he used to after his neck surgery, Mick Foley just isn't up for it anymore, and the option of bringing back the likes of Terry Funk? That guy needs to retire and stay retired! Sadly the talent that graced ECW is older now, and carrying injuries. New blood would need to be injected, but it wouldn't be the same.
5. WWE can't rehash old ideas successfully. Fact. They would try it, and muck it up, and frankly, they would only end up sullying the memory.

Meanwhile - Raw (i.e. the WWE) gets Undertaker (since Taker has always been pegged as "The Conscience" of the WWE, he can come back). I'd also consider bringing John Cena to Raw, but that would probably be too much of a setback for SD/ECW.

Smackdown couldn't survive without these guys right now, as they are 2 out of 3 of the top faces. Now, I'm sure that would change in the course of a year, but the talent they brought in to replace them would have to be stronger, more popular than Cena and Taker are - that's a tall order!

Basically, I like the idea, but it can't and shouldn't happen.

ECW had it's time.

:wavesad: :wavesad: ECW :wavesad: :wavesad:

Heyman
06-09-2004, 10:51 PM
<font color=white>

http://www.tpww.net/headlines/1086632431.html

No Smackdown won't become ECW in the future so shut the fuck up!

Current headlines don't mean anything.

A few years ago, a 'current headline' stated that "the doors were not open for Austin to come back to the WWE".

A few years ago, a current headline stated that "There was no chance of Bret Hart ever stepping into a WWE ring ever again". As we can see now, there is a decent chance that Bret Hart may make a WWE television/PPV appearance.

Things change. Attitudes Change.

But I'm sure that an "intelligent" (- :lol: -) guy like you knew that already. ;)

Wildcat789
06-09-2004, 11:01 PM
I don't understand why Heyman gets so much heat. This is a really good post, and brings up some good discussion-

ECW was a good show. It had a good run, lets not ruin the good memories we had of it by letting the WWE ruin it.

Also, although Eddie is a GREAT performer and a spectacular entertainer, it's not fair to make him carry an entire show. Yeah the Dudleys, RVD, Tajiri, and Rhyno are great, but they're aging at this point. They aren't as young as they used to be, and to make them headline PPVs just wouldn't work.

It is an intriguing concept though. It could've been the WWE's chance to get the "Invasion" angle right, the second time around.