PDA

View Full Version : Are the tables rigged?

Shadow
06-13-2004, 12:24 AM
No, not talking about the tables that HHH and HBK use. I'm talking about the tables the Wrestlers use. Are they rigged and why do you think they are? And in the immortal words of whoever came up with this, Discuss!

Joe Kerr
06-13-2004, 12:32 AM
no I dont think, I know they are.

Nowhere Man
06-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Absolutely. All you need to do is watch some old wrestling tapes to see. When Terry Funk gave Ric Flair a piledriver onto a table, the damn thing barely even bent. The ones they've got today splinter into a million pieces if you look at them the wrong way. I highly doubt the quality of imitation wood has just suddenly dropped since the late 80's, so it ain't that hard to tell they're using breakaway tables.

The announcer's tables are particularly obvious. Any time someone goes through one of those, they collapse into nice convenient pieces that can be easily put back together for the next time someone goes through (either that, or WWE spends a fortune on buying poorly built announce tables every other week)

Pepsi Man
06-13-2004, 01:20 AM
Masato once German Suplexed Mike Awesome through a table in the corner but missed...and Mike Awesome only broke like a corner of the table

You slam a 200 lb. man into a table, and it'll break. Balee dat, playa. Of course, there is technique involved. :p

Mayo
06-13-2004, 01:40 AM
I remember going to a WWE house show once, and The Hardyz were facing someone else, probably the Dudleyz. Matt put one of the opponents on top of the table, and just from that force alone, the table broke. Matt was like :wtf: , and I think he just continued on with the match.

The ECW tables were definitely a lot stronger, you could tell how much force it took to break those. My friend was a bigger ECW fan than I, he used to tell me they were reinforced with metal rods under the wood and so a lot stronger.

KayfabeMan
06-13-2004, 05:53 AM
Tables on the indy scene are definitely "real" folding tables -- usually
direct from Office Max / Office Depot / some other store of choice...

ECW often used tables from these places as well. They're just regular
folding tables. Those tables hold up pretty well,and sometimes need
a bit of a smashing to break.

Usually they break fairly easy though (unless you are a cruiserweight).

DaveWadding
06-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Maybe. the one the E&C used to bridge the ladders at WMXVI was definitely either "real" or reinforced like crazy.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
06-13-2004, 09:43 AM
The tables can't be that flimsy if Spike's head couldn't take off a reasonable sized piece. :lol:

Hired Hitman
06-13-2004, 09:49 AM
... it did

Mike the Metal Ed
06-13-2004, 10:26 AM
At Vengeance 2003, in the APA Invitational, Matt Hardy went to legdrop Kanyon through a table and it didn't break so he had to try again.

Aussie Skier
06-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Maybe. the one the E&C used to bridge the ladders at WMXVI was definitely either "real" or reinforced like crazy.

Yep, fro mthe angle underneath u could c it was reinforced

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
06-13-2004, 12:37 PM
... it did

It only took off a tiny chip.

Unlike during a table invitational. Grandmaster or Scotty destroyed most of a table with their foot.

tucsonspeed6
06-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I remember going to a WWE house show once, and The Hardyz were facing someone else, probably the Dudleyz. Matt put one of the opponents on top of the table, and just from that force alone, the table broke. Matt was like :wtf: , and I think he just continued on with the match.

Sadly, I work with tables like the ones they use at wrestling events in the WWE. One of my pet peeves is that the Dudleys (supposed tables masters) never get it through their heads how to actually set the tables up. The tables that are made from compressed particle board are very durable, but also very expensive. Hence, at the university where I work, we use cheaper tables made of plywood. Several times a semester we have to clean up a shattered table that some dumbass sat on. Everyone thinks that because wood is hard it is strong enough to support their fat asses just like the government. Unfortunately, even the weight of sitting on a table made of plywood can shatter one, and hence why at that House show Matt Hardy put somebody through a table without any force (that sombody was probably fat assed slob, Bubba Ray.) So to answer the question, no they are not rigged in any active sense. They are simply cheaper tables that break because of the quality of the wood used.

tucsonspeed6
06-13-2004, 01:51 PM
The announcer's tables are particularly obvious. Any time someone goes through one of those, they collapse into nice convenient pieces that can be easily put back together for the next time someone goes through (either that, or WWE spends a fortune on buying poorly built announce tables every other week)

I had always assumed that the assembly of the announcer's tables are so they can take them apart and rebuild them before and after every show, and that the breakaway action was a coincidental benefit of these tables...not the other way around.

.44 Magdalene
06-13-2004, 02:31 PM
I had always assumed that the assembly of the announcer's tables are so they can take them apart and rebuild them before and after every show, and that the breakaway action was a coincidental benefit of these tables...not the other way around.

:y:

JiM PolPot v.W.o.
06-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Absolutely. All you need to do is watch some old wrestling tapes to see. When Terry Funk gave Ric Flair a piledriver onto a table, the damn thing barely even bent. The ones they've got today splinter into a million pieces if you look at them the wrong way. I highly doubt the quality of imitation wood has just suddenly dropped since the late 80's, so it ain't that hard to tell they're using breakaway tables.

I hope the WWE gives the Spanish Announcers a good heath insurance plan.

Iceman90
06-13-2004, 07:56 PM
The tables aren't 'gimmicked'. They just aren't of the same quality you would expect for your office's table.

A lesser quality means easier to break.

Fox
06-13-2004, 08:05 PM
I don't remember exactly which PPV it was, but I know it was in 2000, and the match was a Tag Team Tables Invitational Match. Tazz was standing on the apron, and Grandmaster Sexay went to sunset flip powerbomb him through the table. When he flipped over Tazz, his foot hit the table and the damn thing broke completely in half.

Try and tell me those tables aren't rigged.

Savio
06-13-2004, 08:18 PM
The tables are real...but cheap.

Iceman90
06-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Like Savior said, the tables are real tables. They are just made of a thin wood.

Have you ever tried to go through a cheap table yourself? It is real easy. Even if your body just skims it.

toxic rooster
06-14-2004, 12:22 AM
It's actually stiff cardboard.

It can (usually) support the weight of a person (like the one E&C put on the ladder), but any impact and they're screwed.

Kapoutman
06-14-2004, 02:23 AM
I don't know if WWE is the same, but we used real tables where I wrestled. We only took the cheapest on the market. It'S easier to break.